Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
wow that's really amazing, imagine if it turned out your character was actually a demigod or something
Come on rusty, I'm sure you understand the difference between "it turns out that [...]" and "literally from the very beginning it is true that [...]". How can you compare being raised in Candlekeep by a wizard whose past you know nothing about to rushing through the planes on a nautiloid which is being attacked by githyanki and dragons?

Codex Year of the Donut
How can you compare being raised in Candlekeep
Because I know what candlekeep is?
start of BG3: you're kidnapped and have to escape
start of BG1: you're so important that you're kept in one of the safest places in the realms for your safety, then get attacked by an assassin who somehow got past the guards + magical wards

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
BG1 starts with you in candlekeep, a highly guarded fortress library of the world's most valuable and dangerous knowledge which is also incapable of keeping you safe because the danger is so great.
So you adventure with your stepfather -- a high ranking Harper who used to fight dragons and is friends with Elminster -- and watch him get murdered.
Then you are joined by two more Harper agents.

why do you guys always pretend these games are something they aren't? "wow bg1 was such a low stakes adventure..." ???? Only if you knew nothing at all about the forgotten realms I guess?

Shoo, Rusty! We had this discussion before. Keep it contained in the BG3 thread.
I'm tired of reading "BG1 was such a low stakes adventure!!!" tho
maybe if you just skipped over all the dialogue and thought it was an adventure about solving the iron crisis and you knew absolutely nothing about FR?

how many other games can you say that in the first hour you're moved from fantasy fort knox for your safety, your secret service bodyguard gets murdered, then have two more secret service bodyguards meet you to protect you because you're such a highly valuable target?

The importance of Gorion was never really hinted at in the beggining of the game. Harpers arent secret service, and Khalid and Jaheira are obviously as low ranking agents as Xzar and Monty are of the Zhentarim. Candlekeep is not fantasy fort knox (that'd be the Undermountain), just a very secure monastery. You don't even know that Elminster is Elminster for like half of the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG1 starts with you in candlekeep, a highly guarded fortress library of the world's most valuable and dangerous knowledge which is also incapable of keeping you safe because the danger is so great.
So you adventure with your stepfather -- a high ranking Harper who used to fight dragons and is friends with Elminster -- and watch him get murdered.
Then you are joined by two more Harper agents.

why do you guys always pretend these games are something they aren't? "wow bg1 was such a low stakes adventure..." ???? Only if you knew nothing at all about the forgotten realms I guess?

Shoo, Rusty! We had this discussion before. Keep it contained in the BG3 thread.
I'm tired of reading "BG1 was such a low stakes adventure!!!" tho
maybe if you just skipped over all the dialogue and thought it was an adventure about solving the iron crisis and you knew absolutely nothing about FR?

how many other games can you say that in the first hour you're moved from fantasy fort knox for your safety, your secret service bodyguard gets murdered, then have two more secret service bodyguards meet you to protect you because you're such a highly valuable target?

The importance of Gorion was never really hinted at in the beggining of the game. Harpers arent secret service, and Khalid and Jaheira are obviously as low ranking agents as Xzar and Monty are of the Zhentarim. Candlekeep is not fantasy fort knox (that'd be the Undermountain), just a very secure monastery. You don't even know that Elminster is Elminster for like half of the game.
does the idea of an analogy not exist in your native language?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
start of BG1: you're so important that you're kept in one of the safest places in the realms for your safety, then get attacked by an assassin who somehow got past the guards + magical wards

You are being dishonest by suggesting that Candlekeep from the game is the Candlekeep from FR lore. It's not.
There is no fucking ancient dragon demilich in the basements of BG Candlekeep. They have RATS instead.

What you are presented with IN THE GAME is a secluded monastery, foster father with a mysterious past and CHARNAME who is just an orphan.

Codex Year of the Donut

You are being dishonest by suggesting that Candlekeep from the game is the Candlekeep from FR lore. It's not.
There is no fucking ancient dragon demilich in the basements of BG Candlekeep. They have RATS instead.

What you are presented with IN THE GAME is a secluded monastery, foster father with a mysterious past and CHARNAME who is just an orphan.
not my fault the game is shit

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The simple fact that you're defending this shows how desperate you are to increase your Larian Fanboy Cringeometer™.

"I'm an orphan raised in Candlekeep, my adoptive father has been assassinated" is a perfectly fine background that would be accepted in most sensible campaigns.
On the other hand, the clusterfuck that BG3 went for would be ridiculed by any player with even the smallest semblance of a functioning brain.

It's not Larian's fault, this is simply how things have to be presented to be accepted by the D&D 5 community. Why can't you accept it? Why do you have to pretend that this retarded pathetic excuse for a plot hook is even remotely similar to what BG1 did?

Codex Year of the Donut
The simple fact that you're defending this shows how desperate you are to increase your Larian Fanboy Cringeometer™.

"I'm an orphan raised in Candlekeep, my adoptive father has been assassinated" is a perfectly fine background that would be accepted in most sensible campaigns.
On the other hand, the clusterfuck that BG3 went for would be ridiculed by any player with even the smallest semblance of a functioning brain.

It's not Larian's fault, this is simply how things have to be presented to be accepted by the D&D 5 community. Why can't you accept it? Why do you have to pretend that this retarded pathetic excuse for a plot hook is even remotely similar to what BG1 did?
how many orphans do you think candlekeep has, on average?
why would candlekeep have an orphan there, one of the worst possible places to raise a child?
literally the only reason to keep a child there would be if he's either dangerous to others or others are dangerous to him

if you thought you were some random orphan at the start of the game, then you only have your ignorance to blame

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just so everyone knows, rusty thinks the only correct way to play BG is to ironman it on normal difficulty. Once. Anything else is cheating.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron

why would candlekeep have an orphan there, one of the worst possible places to raise a child?
literally the only reason to keep a child there would be if he's either dangerous to others or others are dangerous to him

if you thought you were some random orphan at the start of the game, then you only have your ignorance to blame

This is just weird autistposting for the sake of winning some imaginary game.
Here's some facts instead:
1. BG1 has a classic simple low-level start. An orphan in a peaceful secluded location. Basic stuff.
2. BG3 starts with you escaping a crashing illithid space ship. This alone would be fine for an adventure focused on illithids. But the space ship is flying through ABYSS because... adding another wildly different high-level theme to the intro will make it more epic? Does Michael Bay work for Larian? And the tadpole in your brain is not a regular eldritch alien tadpole... it's super special and magical (add another high level theme later).
3. This whole thing can be made worse by playing a pre-made character. Why would you be just a boring CHARNAME with a magical tadpole flying through hell when you can also have a netheril nuke in your ass?
4. This is all the very beginning. Throwing all this cacophony in your face.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

1. BG1 has a classic simple low-level start. An orphan in a peaceful secluded location. Basic stuff.
2. BG3 starts with you escaping a crashing illithid space ship. That alone would be fine for an adventure focused on illithids. But the space ship is flying through ABYSS because... adding another wildly different high-level theme to the intro will make it more epic? Does Michael Bay work for Larian? And the tadpole in your brain is not a regular eldritch alien tadpole... it's super special and magical (add another high level theme later).
3. This whole thing can be made worse by playing a pre-made character. Why would you be just a boring CHARNAME with a magical tadpole flying through hell when you can also have a netheril nuke in your ass?
I agree, BG3's start is more awesome which is why it's better than a bunch of empty screens with literally nothing except gibberlings.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron

2. BG3 starts with you escaping a crashing illithid space ship. That alone would be fine for an adventure focused on illithids. But the space ship is flying through ABYSS because... adding another wildly different high-level theme to the intro will make it more epic? Does Michael Bay work for Larian? And the tadpole in your brain is not a regular eldritch alien tadpole... it's super special and magical (add another high level theme later).
I agree, BG3's start is more awesome which is why it's better than a bunch of empty screens with literally nothing except gibberlings.

I can see how you achieved so many posts so quickly.

Codex Year of the Donut

I can see how you achieved so many posts so quickly.
??? We were agreeing that BG3 is the superior game?

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This is the bioware forum and not the place for discussing the POS early access garbage BG3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom