Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You could get invested in a character, read their dialog, do their quests, and then walk over a disintegration trap and they turn to dust.
My favorite instance of this was the disintegration trap in the Planar Sphere. It's as if it was made specifically to help players get rid of Valygar after he forced his way into their party.
You don't have to recruit Valygar to get into the Planar Spehere.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From reading these comments about the lack of hoy key use, it's clear to me that I have more TWF points, a higher DEX and INT score, a better initiative, and just bigger hands than all of you. Out of the 100 hour playtime, players who only use the mouse probably waste 20 just scrolling around.

Rephyrnomicon

Novice
You could get invested in a character, read their dialog, do their quests, and then walk over a disintegration trap and they turn to dust.
My favorite instance of this was the disintegration trap in the Planar Sphere. It's as if it was made specifically to help players get rid of Valygar after he forced his way into their party.

In fact, the BEST way into the planar sphere is to kill him and rub his body all over it until a door magically appears.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

In fact, the BEST way into the planar sphere is to kill him and rub his body all over it until a door magically appears.
Yup, and you don't lose any rep for it, either. Seriously, the fact that you can create your own party and completely ignore the irritating companions without losing anything of interest* is such an underrated pro of BG2. I wish PF games worked like that.

*I guess some of the items you get from Jaheira's quest are the only notable exception.

Krivol

Magister
*I guess some of the items you get from Jaheira's quest are the only notable exception.

Their quests are worth some Exp but I am not sure how much - I usually tried to do all minions' quests during a playthrough. Still, items can be 'borrowed' from Shadow (or EE) Keeper, if your build really depends on those.

I never stomached EE companions, but their quests are supposed to be epic and I believe items from their quests can be quite powerful. Can anyone confirm that?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The companion quest xp is similar to keep xp in that the amounts are negligible in the grand scheme of things. I used to create 5 chars and get companions onboard one by one to do stuff, but completely dropped it for just straight up full custom party goodness.

Edit: talking about the original content, of course. I have no idea about the EE companions.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Jaheira quest, the harper line, not the curse one, gives a shitton of XP and useful items, like another ring of wizardy.
And it ends with 100k XP just for your char (if you get Elminster approval) on top of that.

Rephyrnomicon

Novice

Their quests are worth some Exp but I am not sure how much - I usually tried to do all minions' quests during a playthrough. Still, items can be 'borrowed' from Shadow (or EE) Keeper, if your build really depends on those.

I never stomached EE companions, but their quests are supposed to be epic and I believe items from their quests can be quite powerful. Can anyone confirm that?

The half orc moron's quest in BG1:EE is the only way to get elvish chain in the first game, if I recall correctly. Great for your fighter/mages

Cael

Arcane

The half orc moron's quest in BG1:EE is the only way to get elvish chain in the first game, if I recall correctly. Great for your fighter/mages
Elvish Chain is basically Robes of the Archmage without the bonus stuff. Given that with the expansions, you can end up with something along the lines of 1x Good Robes, 2x Evil Robes and about 3x Neutral Robes, why care about the elven chain?

Sarathiour

Cipher

Elvish Chain is basically Robes of the Archmage without the bonus stuff. Given that with the expansions, you can end up with something along the lines of 1x Good Robes, 2x Evil Robes and about 3x Neutral Robes, why care about the elven chain?

Iy you're a mage/fighter, r going with armor/spirit armor and some robe is probably a better deal

Sarathiour

Cipher
Alright, I was\ still intend to do another run of BG2, since I never really finished ToB, just got really close to the end. And I scoured the internet just for fun for alt portraits for shits and giggles, found some fun ones, but also found it weird nobody ever did an edit of the real photos they used for making the companion art. So here with my shitty gimp skills I did it myself for Vicky.

1647819838583.jpg

and with some lighting effects from gimp,
1647819905828.jpg

Can be used as a bmp portrait if you guys crop to the necessary sizes any way you want.

I mean, it sure beat the new wotc version

media%2FFTD4_W_UsAEc4Ur.png%3Fname%3Dorig

Neera's BG2 quest unlocks a magic shop with a lot of powerful scrolls and some items. She also gets https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Thayan_Circlet which is incredibly good for wild mage. Her TOB quest also lets you pick up some high level spell scrolls, I think 1 each of most of the powerful ones. Her BG1 stuff is completely irrelevant though.

No idea what Rasaad and Hexxat get. Was planning on doing another trilogy playthrough where I took all the EE NPCs and checked them out. Still, pure thief and pure monk are basically joke classes, they'd have to get some insanely powerful equipment to be worth using.

Same reaction. She's so horrifically written in every conceivably possible manner. But its also the only way to enjoy the absurdly broken wild mage kit without playing one yourself.

Incidentally, does anyone know whether you have to romance the EE NPCs to get all of their content/items, or is it enough to just have them in the party and do the quests when they come up? I don't think I'd be able to bear doing a beamdog romance.

>3 hours
>in this video we'll talk about every single character in BG2, BG1 guide will be coming later

:shredder:

EDIT: Just a few minutes in and he's got some weird customized ruleset with a bunch of modded items/spells and other crap (I think some kind of expanded spell progression mod?). Not really a good guide IMO. I can understand making a guide that assumes SCS since its kind universally accepted but I have no idea what some of the stuff he's talking about is. Playing double damage insane SCS is also pretty moronic in the first place, I think SCS literally disables the difficulty damage multiplier by default?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
found it weird nobody ever did an edit of the real photos they used for making the companion art.
... or maybe someone did that, but then they went missing because hosting sites did random cleanup or shut down?

Mikeal

Arcane
Leave it to the Codex to make not using hotkeys a virtue :lol:

Well duh codexers always have to stand out from the normies crowd by any means necessary even with something so basic as hotkeys. Seriously the only reason why turd-based games are popular with old farts on Codex is due to normies inability to play in them.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EDIT: Just a few minutes in and he's got some weird customized ruleset with a bunch of modded items/spells and other crap (I think some kind of expanded spell progression mod?). Not really a good guide IMO. I can understand making a guide that assumes SCS since its kind universally accepted but I have no idea what some of the stuff he's talking about is. Playing double damage insane SCS is also pretty moronic in the first place, I think SCS literally disables the difficulty damage multiplier by default?
SCS, Tweaks and Ascension, as vanilla as it gets. No added items other than some Ascension stuff.
Playing double damage insane SCS is also pretty moronic in the first place, I think SCS literally disables the difficulty damage multiplier by default?
Moronic? Ok... Weird statement, but ok.
SCS disables damage scaling, but you can turn it on if you're good enough. You obviously are not, but the guy is (and so am I, hue hue).

SCS, Tweaks and Ascension, as vanilla as it gets. No added items other than some Ascension stuff.

No, he's definitely got a ton of items that are not vanilla at all. He mentions Abashi hide practically every 5s and I can't find it on the wiki. I also noticed he's got a ring that doubles 1st level spell slots which is 100% broken for wild mages (the ring is available in BG1 but NOT BG2). It's kind of hard to overstate how broken it is when a level 5 wild mage can cast 10 level 9 spells, more than a max level Edwin.

Moronic? Ok... Weird statement, but ok.
SCS disables damage scaling, but you can turn it on if you're good enough. You obviously are not, but the guy is (and so am I, hue hue).

The thing is its not hard, it just means you need to cheese the game with mages. Like, he says that mages are the best class in the game. I totally agree, but its disingenuous when he then assumes you play modded stuff that makes mages way, way stronger. Mages can just become immune to all damage easily, you could set the damage multiplier to 20x and it wouldn't change things for them. He's also using mods that give mages way, way more spells.

It's like if someone made a Fallout 2 weapon guide that said the turbo plasma rifle was the best gun in the game. Then they revealed that they are using a mod that doubles all energy weapon damage and makes all enemies crit you if you aren't equipping an energy weapon. What's the point of installing a bunch of mods that make the already best stuff in the game more powerful? It doesn't need it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom