Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Enjoy while you can, because when you go rescue Imoen the game loses a lot of it's charm.
Ehh, I like the Underdark.

Underdark is the best part of second half of BG2, but the content before and after it is worse.
True, Brynnlaw is annoying for some reason, Sahaugin city is nothing special (tho the Observer was funny), and the Elf city is where BW evidently ran out of steam. I guess the finale of the guild war isn't half bad. Ofc you could spice things up by leaving some of the side quests for later, but IDK.

Krivol

Magister
Ofc you could spice things up by leaving some of the side quests for later, but IDK.

Well, getting for Imoen ASAP should be your goal (so you should still have like a million quests to do after Underdark), but doing side quests with all that "Suldanesssssellllllarrrr is being looted! Save the world from Irenicus!" kind of ruining the atmosphere.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Im 60 hours into BG2 and as was expected Im loving it, I have just got to Chapter 3 and I had to ruminate on who I should align with Bodhi or the Shadow Thieves. It was tough decision because Bodhi offered advantages like she was less arrogant and didnt attack me immediately, possible hot Vampiress Romance ( I always ask what would @Non-Edgy Gamer would do around these redemption arcs ) and a litany of magic items
Vampiress on my first playthrough. I think usually the thieves after that.

I *think* the original game release had the mace of disruption and the amulet of power exclusive to the thieves, but I forget.
I also dropped Hexxat as a party member and included Valygar because he is more effective fighter and archer
He's also better written than that annoying Mary Sue.

BruceVC

Magister
Im 60 hours into BG2 and as was expected Im loving it, I have just got to Chapter 3 and I had to ruminate on who I should align with Bodhi or the Shadow Thieves. It was tough decision because Bodhi offered advantages like she was less arrogant and didnt attack me immediately, possible hot Vampiress Romance ( I always ask what would @Non-Edgy Gamer would do around these redemption arcs ) and a litany of magic items
Vampiress on my first playthrough. I think usually the thieves after that.

I *think* the original game release had the mace of disruption and the amulet of power exclusive to the thieves, but I forget.
I also dropped Hexxat as a party member and included Valygar because he is more effective fighter and archer
He's also better written than that annoying Mary Sue.
I always select party members in all party based RPG on 3 metrics from most important to least important. They are

• Combat effectiveness and overall quest contribution
  • Side quests related to NPC
  • Romance arcs

So Hexxat was

• Combat effectiveness and combat contribution : Not bad, I liked her charm spell but her Thief role was duplicated by Vienxay who I always select and Hexxat lacked decent combat effectiveness
  • Side quests related to NPC : I never completed her side quests so I dont know
  • Romance arcs : I was very keen to explore this but then I found out she only Romances female characters
So Valygar became by far the best choice because he has both archery and close combat skills and he has great items. Plus the Planar Sphere quest was really exciting.

Codex Year of the Donut
*do all the side content before getting imoen*
*wait nearly 30 years*
*cry about not having side content after rescuing imoen on an obscure website dedicated to CYOA gamebooks*

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Proper consideration for which party members to recruit in BG2:

1. Create a new multiplayer game.
2. Create 6 chars that you like, preferably experimenting with silly kits that you've never tried before.
3. Save the game and quit.
4. Copy the save file from MP to SP folder.
5. Run and play the game.

Beats uninstall mod that I would otherwise recommend.

EE even simplifies the process, making it worth it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Im a huge fan of Romance but Im not going to Romance Imoen, she is like my sister and I would prefer we just stay friends

That romance is a meme
But there is Imoen mod Romance you can install, http://www.imoen.blindmonkey.org/

It seems popular

It is not popular, it just has a cult fanbase. It's an extremely weird, rapey autism mod (and thus, I have made the perfect lay up if anyone wants to smash that 15-year-old Grunker quote were I praise Saerilith Romance :P )

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
How will you experience all of the imoen romance content if you don't rush brynnlaw?
The romance is written so it doesn't matter how long you wait to get her. There's a bunch of romance content in the Underdark and then there's a pause until you go after Bodhi.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I do all the side quests before rescuing Imoen because it's simply impossible to sit there running around solving mysteries in the sewer while some godlike ex-elf wizard performs experiments with the soul he stole from me.

It is not popular, it just has a cult fanbase. It's an extremely weird, rapey autism mod (and thus, I have made the perfect lay up if anyone wants to smash that 15-year-old Grunker quote were I praise Saerilith Romance :P )

Imoen Romance mod is actually good since someone rewrote a lot of it and finished it. The starting part with the dreams is unfortunately still pretty cringe (though its supposed to be Bhaal's influence or some shit making up fake memories). I think all the rapey bits were removed.

Only downside to Imoen being the best waifu is that there's this weird ToB bit where out of nowhere she presents an ultimatum against never having kids for no reason other than she just doesn't like them. Feels like the author trying to somehow appease the moral guardians who are very offended at the mod they just spend 30 hours playing through.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Only downside to Imoen being the best waifu is that there's this weird ToB bit where out of nowhere she presents an ultimatum against never having kids for no reason other than she just doesn't like them. Feels like the author trying to somehow appease the moral guardians who are very offended at the mod they just spend 30 hours playing through.
This is the most disappointing part of the mod. You go through all that effort and in the end you don't even get to have any inbred babies. What a downer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom