Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Let's not get carried away here. Beamdog writing sucks but Valygar isn't winning any awards either.
Hey, I didn't call him a masterpiece. But the Diversity vampire really sucks, pardon the pun.

Codex Year of the Donut
blackula is one of the most hilarious stereotypes ever put in any game, one of those things where if you asked the codex to create a racist caricature they'd come up with something less racist
the fact that they even do a bait and switch with an attractive white woman is just a cherry on the top

BruceVC

Magister
blackula is one of the most hilarious stereotypes ever put in any game, one of those things where if you asked the codex to create a racist caricature they'd come up with something less racist
the fact that they even do a bait and switch with an attractive white woman is just a cherry on the top
Sometimes I dont understand the references you guys talk about. Do you mean Hexxat?

And she comes from Chult so she would be black. So Im not sure how Hexxat is a racist stereotype? But I was a little annoyed I couldnt Romance her ...its discrimination against men :lol:

vota DC

Augur
It is not popular, it just has a cult fanbase. It's an extremely weird, rapey autism mod (and thus, I have made the perfect lay up if anyone wants to smash that 15-year-old Grunker quote were I praise Saerilith Romance :P )

Imoen Romance mod is actually good since someone rewrote a lot of it and finished it. The starting part with the dreams is unfortunately still pretty cringe (though its supposed to be Bhaal's influence or some shit making up fake memories). I think all the rapey bits were removed.

Only downside to Imoen being the best waifu is that there's this weird ToB bit where out of nowhere she presents an ultimatum against never having kids for no reason other than she just doesn't like them. Feels like the author trying to somehow appease the moral guardians who are very offended at the mod they just spend 30 hours playing through.
She is adoptive child of Gorion. She is supposed to be your sister. You can't have child but marry her just for roleplay as Leto II that married his sister but didn't have any children.

BruceVC

Magister
It is not popular, it just has a cult fanbase. It's an extremely weird, rapey autism mod (and thus, I have made the perfect lay up if anyone wants to smash that 15-year-old Grunker quote were I praise Saerilith Romance :P )

Imoen Romance mod is actually good since someone rewrote a lot of it and finished it. The starting part with the dreams is unfortunately still pretty cringe (though its supposed to be Bhaal's influence or some shit making up fake memories). I think all the rapey bits were removed.

Only downside to Imoen being the best waifu is that there's this weird ToB bit where out of nowhere she presents an ultimatum against never having kids for no reason other than she just doesn't like them. Feels like the author trying to somehow appease the moral guardians who are very offended at the mod they just spend 30 hours playing through.
She is adoptive child of Gorion. She is supposed to be your sister. You can't have child but marry her just for roleplay as Leto II that married his sister but didn't have any children.
She is only your half-sister through Bhaal, I am sure the whole genetic risk of mongoloid features wont apply if you want to have children with her?

As I mentioned earlier personally I dont think of her as Romance option but you can marry her and have kids if you want...I wouldnt say its taboo even though she is your half-sister?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Baldur's Gate Romance Mods in a nutshell.
1-BG2-So-Ach4032.jpg

H2qiAlX_d.webp

Codex Year of the Donut
(lol, germans and their sex fetishes)
risen 2 & 3 have the odd sister thing going on
demonicon has sister sex

Technically a romance with Curie in FO4 is incest with your son.

for not directly related to main character:
pillows of eternity has the pregnant niece
vtmb therese
iirc miranda in me2 hints at this
fallout 3 has an incest town
the witcher games have incest somewhere I'm sure, I just can't think of it right now

probably significantly more instances of things like rape and torture than incest now that I think about it
ofc this isn't including jrpgs, about 70% of jap games have incest

BruceVC

Magister
demonicon has sister sex

vtmb therese
the witcher games have incest somewhere I'm sure, I just can't think of it right now

probably significantly more instances of things like rape and torture than incest now that I think about it
I see what you asking, you talking about incest themes. I thought you meant incest Romance examples :cool:

Sarathiour

Cipher
demonicon has sister sex

vtmb therese

Probably could add two world to the list.

BruceVC

Magister
I am in Spellhold and I decided not to take Imoen with me after freeing her, she doesnt offer the same combat and skills as my current party members. She will wait at the Copper Inn for later

Does this make me a bad person because I feel guilty for some reason?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
when is someone going to make the 'incest in rpgs' thread?
I dont think its common, Imoen is the only example I can think of and because Bhaal was\is a god I dont think Romance with her would be considered incest?
Of course it would. But in proper Greek tradition, because Bhaal was\is a god, nobody should bat an eyelash, because divine incest is par for the course.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I am in Spellhold and I decided not to take Imoen with me after freeing her, she doesnt offer the same combat and skills as my current party members. She will wait at the Copper Inn for later

You should make her try to disarm that big machine trap in Spellhold. That always solves all my problems with Imoen.

BruceVC

Magister

You should make her try to disarm that big machine trap in Spellhold. That always solves all my problems with Imoen.
I could never do that, she is half-sister after all ....the guilt would be too much :-D

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Worth repeating since I never bothered to find out if it was on trolling purpose or just poor Beamdog programming, but you can't even ctrl-y the black female vampire companion out of the game. And I tried. Oh how I tried.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Tonight, I finally completed BG1 for the first time. This is a game I've tried to get into many times, starting back in 1998 when it first came out. I never really got into it, though, until this most recent attempt (started a year ago or so).

I played the GOG version without any other mods, etc., and played a "fake multiplayer" game so I could create a full party from the start. I basically recreated my PoR/CotAB/SotSB Gold Box party (two fighters, thief, priest, two mages). If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with a smaller party, as it could get a little annoying micromanaging six characters the whole game.

I really didn't do a lot of optional stuff, and left a lot of the wilderness areas unexplored (I only really explored the named locations). For TotSC, I did the Ice Cave quest and Durlag's Tower, but didn't complete the werewolf area or the cult stuff in Ulgoth's Beard. The hardest encounter for my party, by far, was the four Warders in Durlag's Tower. Other than that, this was an excellent dungeon and definitely a high point for the game.

I thought that the game had really excellent exploration and party building, but then again I also skipped a lot of the wilderness areas not related to any specific quests, etc. so I probably skipped a lot of tedium. Low level AD&D is always a blast because gaining even a single level or a +1 weapon early on feels like a massive increase in power. I didn't reach the level/EXP caps, so I had a steady stream of upgrades until the very end of the game.

Although I much prefer turn-based combat, I thought the RTwP combat was fine here. I did have some initial frustration with such a big party, but I stopped treating the game like a blobber and began splitting my party up more often, and this made things a lot more manageable. I really liked how useful a thief is in this game, compared with the Gold Box games; it was very cool sending my thief out to search for traps and scout for enemies.

---

Anyway, I really liked this game, and it probably took around 70 hours start to finish. I definitely want to play BG2, but will probably take a break from RTwP for a bit.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Finished my BG2 replay. It was honestly kind of hard to get through by the end, since the game got super linear and I couldn't find myself caring much about the events of the story this time around. BG was my first "real" rpg (not consoletard shit like Skyrim or TW3,) and BG2 was my second "real" rpg. When I first played them they were amazing, unlike anything else I've played before, but I've played a lot of crpgs since then and they don't feel as special as they first did. They're still great games, BG is a better open world rpg than most actual open world rpgs and Athkatla still has the best questing of any game ever but the games have a lot of flaws too. Most of BGs content is actually pretty mediocre, other than TOTSC the dungeons and quests are generally sort of meh, lacking in much reactivity or creativity or any interesting storytelling. Most of the quests feel more like Skyrim random events than they do actual quests. The appeal of BG feels more like a ~vibe~ than actual quality content. BG2 is a bit better since a lot of the quests and dungeons are genuinely awesome, but this time around I couldn't find myself caring about the story or companions much at all. In terms of writing BG2 feels more like a decent action movie than genuinely great storytelling, and the companions either are a: just one big joke, or b: constantly traumadumping their sad lives. Perhaps it's my fault for not taking Korgan with me but it seems like most of the love for BG2s companions is just memories of them being funny, none of them are particularly interesting characters to me. Neither is Irenicus, someone I found terrifying on my first playthrough, but on my second the illusion of Irenicus shatters and he feels like a bit of a joke. Irenicus is powerful but that's all he is, he doesn't come off as smart or truly dangerous, mostly just theatrical. I found myself like Sarevok a lot more, who is a villain that is smart and has a genuinely well laid plan. I also found the combat in (unmodded,) BG2 doesn't work well on a second playthrough. BG2 combat feels like a puzzle, all you need to do is find the solution, there's not any tactical or execution requirements.

Onto Throne of Bhaal now. This time around I downloaded the Ascension mod and Wheels of Prophecy so hopefully it improves what I remember being a mediocre ending to the series.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Ascension is not going to make ToB magically better, but he crank up quite nicely the difficulty for the fight against the five. It's mostly &
a "puzzle" approach to this, except the final fight which is inevitably going to turn into a chaotic moshpit.
WoP just do some minor fluff change.

Taim

Educated
Debating between a BG1 vanilla playthrough or a BGEE SCS playthrough.

I'm not exactly a guru at the combat but I've played the game a few times and am pretty comfortable with BG1 combat at the very least (the spell shit doesn't get complicated until BG2 - as you are all aware)

If I went BGEE route I'd add a few things like 75% XP and *maybe* BG1NPC.

For SCS: Do you guys tend to recommend any of the tactical encounters and/or shit like improved spiders or do you stick to the AI improvements alone?

Parabalus

Arcane
Debating between a BG1 vanilla playthrough or a BGEE SCS playthrough.

I'm not exactly a guru at the combat but I've played the game a few times and am pretty comfortable with BG1 combat at the very least (the spell shit doesn't get complicated until BG2 - as you are all aware)

If I went BGEE route I'd add a few things like 75% XP and *maybe* BG1NPC.

For SCS: Do you guys tend to recommend any of the tactical encounters and/or shit like improved spiders or do you stick to the AI improvements alone?

Install everything.

There are some components which fiddle with particular items or spells, you can skip those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom