Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG3 will be forgotten soon.

You can not like BG3 and understand that game journo scores = trash but I disagree that bg3 will be forgotten soon. Most normies don't play games like UndeRail and compared to any AAA trash(Dragon Age Inquisition, Ass effect andromeda), BG3 is a masterpiece. Hogwarts legacy, Elden Ring and BG3 will be cultural phenomenals regardless if you like them or not.

9ted6

Educated
BG3 will be forgotten soon.
You can not like BG3 and understand that game journo scores = trash but I disagree that bg3 will be forgotten soon. Most normies don't play games like UndeRail and compared to any AAA trash(Dragon Age Inquisition, Ass effect andromeda), BG3 is a masterpiece. Hogwarts legacy, Elden Ring and BG3 will be cultural phenomenals regardless if you like them or not.
It won't be forgotten but it's not really any good as a CRPG by pretty much any metric. Looks ugly, gameplay's shallow, writing's woke and there's minimal C&C.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
To determine whether BG3 really is any good as a CRPG, I feel we first need to answer the question "what exactly is an RPG?"
Well BG3 has more C&C than BG1 and BG2.

Like I said, BG1 and BG2 will only be remembered by a small group of old neckbeards, BG3 is the new gold standard for RPG's.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Fuck me I forgot just how superbly layered BG2 is. Even though I know the game, the way it's panning out with various quests overlapping is superb.

Far too many RPGs are too easy to organize now, it makes everything feel mathematical and predictable, but BG2's evolution is bang on.

Only issues I'm having with the game are the wonky pathfinding and AI, and even those are being far less intrusive than I remember.

Cologno

Educated
To determine whether BG3 really is any good as a CRPG, I feel we first need to answer the question "what exactly is an RPG?"

Like I said, BG1 and BG2 will only be remembered by a small group of old neckbeards, BG3 is the new gold standard of RPG's.
Heh, and you'll have to "remaster" or "Next Gen" update it to help people remember. Larian games you play once, maybe twice for cards to sell on Steam, then move onto to something else.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Like I said, BG1 and BG2 will only be remembered by a small group of old neckbeards, BG3 is the new gold standard of RPG's.
Heh, and you'll have to "remaster" or "Next Gen" update it to help people remember. Larian games you play once, maybe twice for cards to sell on Steam, then move onto to something else.
Strong cope. BG3 is already a bigger cult classic than the archaic RTWP trash.

BG3 has MUCH more replayability + MUCH bigger modding community.

Just stop coping, it's sad and accept that when people utter the words Baldur's gate they think about BG3 and not the old trash.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. BG3 is already a bigger cult classic than the archaic RTWP trash.

LOL. No.I more popular? Sure. But THAC0 alone would melt game journos and gen z brains. About modding, same shit. weidu is very hard to learn and use.

Ryzer

Arcane

Just stop coping, it's sad and accept that when people utter the words Baldur's gate they think about BG3 and not the old trash.
How much does Larian pay you for your shilling?

Falksi

Arcane

I've not played BG3 yet, but the replayability claim is one I find hard to believe. BG2 is a game I've owned...

1. In original CD form
  2. As part of the multi-CD anthology
  3. On Steam
  4. On GoG
...and which I've replayed....

1. As a good party
  2. As an evil party
  3. As a neutral party
  4. As a balanced self-created party
  5. As a solo run
  6. As another, lob-sided (ranged focused) self-created party
  7. As a mixed party (which I'm doing now)
...plus you've 10 recruitable companions in BG3 Vs 16 in BG2 (plus an extra 5 if you include the EE), so more stories to see.

If I replay BG3 7 times I'll be amazed, never mind "MUCH" more as you claim. The most I've ever replayed any modern RPG was DA:Origins & Witcher 2 (both 4 times), so BG3 will have to be off the charts.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know I've just realised my life has been so busy these past 10 years that I haven't played BG2 in all that time. I think. 5 years at least. We hit the 25 year anniversary and what did we get? A game of stinking bear ass and evil in the form of BG3. Welp, I suppose Luke Skull's mods for NWN will be more than enough to tip the scales of proper artistic expression back in favour.

Assuming NWN:EE is playable, and Beamdog haven't enhanced it too much anyway.

Playing POE for the first time, I feel bored (and furiously disgusted by the idiotic backer NPCs senslessly loitering around every corner) after two hours in, so I decided to replay BG1, the original one not the Beamdog EE disgrace.
I installed the GOG-version made it run without graphical errors by the virtues of dgVoodoo and now I'm pondering about mods...
I thought about installing:

- Unfinished Business (16.4)
- Dark Side of the Sword Coast (1.04)
- Dark Horizons (2.10)
- Grey Clan (1.9)

Would this work or will I be in for a clusterfuck of glitches, errors and gamebreaking bugs with this combination?

edit: and what about that lvl 40 rule set DSotSC comes with? Sounds crazy for BG1, is it recommended?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom