Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Jigby

Augur
I am playing BG 1 non-EE through GOG and my single and sole complaint is the pathfinding AI, especially how it takes a century to get anywhere. But maybe that's the point to instill this sense of adventure, I dunno. I am loving it overall.
Just use CTRL+J (https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/clua/bg1.htm).

Melcar

Arcane
Tried it on my work laptop (Windows 11) and at least sound issues are mostly gone. Most be some crap with WINE's OpenAL. Some voices have really low volume.
Apparently there is a mod that lets you use a 10 person party. Might have fun with that.

dutchwench

Novice
Tried it on my work laptop (Windows 11) and at least sound issues are mostly gone. Most be some crap with WINE's OpenAL. Some voices have really low volume.
Apparently there is a mod that lets you use a 10 person party. Might have fun with that.

What about the other glitches you mentioned? Are they present on both platforms or are the unresponsive NPCs and the like merely a GNU Linux exclusive?

Melcar

Arcane

What about the other glitches you mentioned? Are they present on both platforms or are the unresponsive NPCs and the like merely a GNU Linux exclusive?
The animation issues are still there. They are not as smooth as in the original game and sometimes you get odd shit like someone dying while the attacker is doing an idle animation, or two handed weapons being swung in one hand. Spell impact/death animations seem to go too fast in comparison to the original game. And this is with the default 30fps cap. It's not a huge deal unless you are very anal about it and expect a faithful recreation of the game. Sound does seem to work better under Windows (environmental sounds seem to be missing on my WINE install), but it's still not ideal (battle cries and dialogue get cut off near the end). Pathfinding seems to work better in general in both OS environments.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
last time I played BG with a widescreen mod it would pan into the top left corner during dialogues, is this a thing here too?

Melcar

Arcane
last time I played BG with a widescreen mod it would pan into the top left corner during dialogues, is this a thing here too?
No. Everything is centered. Movies, the various interface subsections (journal, map, inventory, etc), dialogue window. You don't need to use the widescreen mod as gemrb does it's own scaling. Sadly the interface does not scale beyond a certain point. The font for the dialogue window seems to be different (a tad bigger) but it can still become tiny if you set too high a resolution. Supposedly it is easier to set your own fonts with gemrb, so I guess it's possible to come up with bigger ones.

The Jester

Cipher
Baldur's Gate 2 portraits with StableDiffusion.

Original reddit post
Another AI portrait pack.
This one is more faithful to the original style.

52-1687981907-839665966.jpeg

52-1687981947-1384003685.jpeg

76-1687200024-1652528629.jpeg

76-1690589783-402429515.jpeg

Realistic NPC Portraits for BGEE

Realistic NPC Portraits for BG2EE​

If you think these are bad then behold!

"Better" NPC Faces for BGEE

62-1714411631-2012441863.png

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
My lawful good paladin hired Montaron and Xzar in the beginning. After playing 2 chapters I don't have the heart to fire them.
Montaron is surprisingly effective using the sling. He has the most kills in Chapter 2.
Xzar is a weak mage. Has few spells and hps.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
My lawful good paladin hired Montaron and Xzar in the beginning. After playing 2 chapters I don't have the heart to fire them.
Montaron is surprisingly effective using the sling. He has the most kills in Chapter 2.
Get Xzar killed and then hire Edwin, your lawful good paladin is gonna have a blast

Melcar

Arcane
Scratch the better pathfinding in gemrb. That shit is worse and party members often get stuck with one another and you can't move them.
Using the appimage solves the crashing in IWD, so anyone trying to use this in Linux is better off with the appimage.

Melcar

Arcane
Just check the fullscreen option for the game. Alternatively, cheatkeys should be enabled by default so CRTL+F should switch to fullscreen mode.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Update

Some spell effects don't render correctly and neither do some background animations like smoke from chimneys. Pickpocketing seems broken as it has a 100% success rate, despite my character having a 40% score on the skill. Opening locked chests seem to ALWAYS trigger a guard. Crossbows appear broken as weapon proficiency and ability score bonuses don't apply. Wolves move sloooooow for some reason. The pathfinding during battles is getting on my nerves.

Not sure what the point of GemRB is to an end user now that the EEs exist. If EE didn't exist it would be useful. If GemRB was finished and had extra features that EE didn't it would be useful. But neither is the case, and the GemRB page proudly states that its been in development for 20 years. So I guess we can project that it will eclipse EE in capability sometime around 2050.

ds

Cipher
Patron
If GemRB was finished and did not have the extra "features" that the EE does it would already be useful. Having a modern engine for BG1 without the BG2 engine would be nice. Having crisp integer scaling without having to fight the EE engine or use external tools with the original engine would be nice. Having an open-source engine that you can further modify to add whatever features you want would be nice. But yeah with the current state that GemRB is in that's a moot point. I guess the EEs kinda sucked the air out of the project.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think Halflings get a racial bonus to sling as per elves with bow and longsword. If it's working it should show up on the THACO character sheet. Sling is pretty underrated as a weapon, as you can spec it to a character using a shield & a 1-handed melee weapon. Having the whole party able to switch from ranged to melee is a worthwhile strategy, as I don't always want my tanky melee character rushing ahead.

Hydro

Educated
So have you guys heard of a Belgian fan made mod called BG3 on a DOS engine? Heard it kinda sucks but has better romances.

I never understood pathfinding complaints in BG. I remember having a small problem in the original BG when characters couldn't push each other, but once BG2 came out everything was fine. Characters go straight to where I want them with no issues.

Melcar

Arcane
I never understood pathfinding complaints in BG. I remember having a small problem in the original BG when characters couldn't push each other, but once BG2 came out everything was fine. Characters go straight to where I want them with no issues.
Neither did I. Specially not in BG2 where you could set waypoints as you go along. If you made your party traverse the whole map by just clicking once at the edge of the map, then yeah characters would often do weird shit like circling aimlessly for a bit before continuing to the destination.

Now with gemrb, pathfinding is indeed atrocious. Characters often step on each other and get stuck.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Did you do Ulcaster Dungeon in BG1? You'll understand once you try to herd your party through those narrow corridors. Outside of that, it's annoying when one or two party members decide to go the long way around because at the time of their path plotting another party member was moving on that route and "blocking" it for him. Very annoying and happens all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom