Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by JarlFrank, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Arrowgrab Savant

Arrowgrab
    Just jump to Beyond the Sword.

Then, once you've played some games all the way through, you might want to look into mods. My personal recommendations are:
    - Fall from Heaven 2 and it's various modmods. I personally like Ashes of Erebus best, but arguments can be made for others as well. FF2 and its modmods turn Civ4 into a dark fantasy game with civilisations having not one but numerous unique buildings, units and special rules.
    - DuneWars Revival. Sci-fi. Based on Dune, duh. Very nice.
    - Caveman 2 Cosmos for maximum autism. Start with cavemen. Finish with an interplanetary empire (if you download some pre-made space maps, random map generation doesn't have space colonisation yet).
    - Conflict on Chiron, or the other one (name escapes me at the moment) that's essentially an Alpha Centauri mod. Sure, nothing beats the original Alpha Centauri, but there's no harm in checking it out.

Colonization is fun, but you should really think of it as a separate game using the same engine, rather than an "official mod". It does have very different gameplay with detailed resource management being much more important.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    It's always something to see a person play Civ for the first time. :D

Anywaaaaaay, Fall from Heaven's creator did an interview with PCGamesN, thought that some of you might be interested.

^ Top  
  3. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I love this mod so much. It pumps everything up to 11. It's a true kitchen sink type of mod that adds EVERYTHING you could ever think of. A single game is gonna last a long, long time even on a small map with the fastest game speed. By the time you've reached the modern age in vanilla Civ 4 on the longest game speed, you haven't even discovered the tech of writing in C2C at fastest game speed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Not a single one of these games is a 4x

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. smaug Arcane Patron Shitposter

smaug
    :outrage:

This was from a long time ago, I'm pretty sure someone answered this a while ago.

^ Top  
  6. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Did you succeed in getting into 4x games?

^ Top  
  7. smaug Arcane Patron Shitposter

smaug
    Haven't played one yet, after my Kingmaker playthrough I'm going to try AoW3 which is a pseudo-4X if I understand.

Maybe afterward I will try Civ4, which I own.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Age of Wonders isn't a "pseudo 4X", it's just a 4X with tactics combat. But yeah, it, Civ, and Endless Legends/Space-2 are all good ways to get into the genre.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Alex betthurt

Alex
    I highly recommend the ones from Simtex (Master of Orion 1-2 and Master of Magic).

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lagi Savant

Lagi
    so Age of Wonders is not consider 4x ?! because you cannot build a cities, and you have tactical combat??

ah... ok

quite coherent definition must say

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lagi Savant

Lagi
    I think you misclicked 1 and M, let me fix it

^ Top  
  12. Citizen Arcane

Citizen
    You can build cities since AoW2, in AoW1 you could only rebuild abandoned cities scattered across the map or grab enemy ones. Age of Wonders 2, Shadow Magic and 3 are most definetly 4x games, even if pretty simple and mostly focused on tactical combat. They have very limited diplomacy options though, and no economic/science/population victory, the only way to win is to eleminate everyone who's not in your alliance

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Alex betthurt

Alex
    I would argue their gameplay is more similar to HoMM than a normal 4X (even with city building), but I haven't played them much.

I haven't played either of these, actually.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lagi Savant

Lagi
    https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors
    better UI, graphic with an old game.

https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8
    CoM, is a MoM patch really. lot more dynamic from the start (2x starting troop, faster movement 2tile instead 1, buildings grant bigger bonus=faster development), AI is smarter/more aggressive (and i think it have more rationale diplomatic message?). The UI is dated, i always get tired from all the work to just get the basic info or give troops command (but its MoM flaw from the start).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    ^ Top  
  15. Citizen Arcane

Citizen
    Not even close. Most defining parts of HoMM gameplay for me are: focus on heroes as the only ways to move armies around, the roster of units available for purchase replenishes once a week, units and buildings are produced instantly, no unit/building upkeep. AoW is much closer to civ series (I mean AoW is basically a Master of Magic clone), it has unit/building upkeep, building stuff and recruiting units takes time, every unit can move individually on a global map, magic research, etc. Fantasy themes and combat focus are the only similar things between HoMM and AoW

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    I would say that HOMM3 and MAYBE TW are 4X
    - Explore => Yes for HOMM3, that's the maybe for TW
    - Expand => Yes
    - Exploit => Yes, though weak
    - Exterminate => Yes

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Nah TW is more akin to grand strategy than 4x.

4x games usually allow you to found your own colonies, which you can't do in TW. Also resource exploitation isn't that advanced in them either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    Point taken. So AOW is 4X and HOMM is not, with each of them being at the border :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    try space empires IV

^ Top  
  20. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    • incline incline x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Niggerino Literate

Niggerino
    ^ Top  
  22. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    yes

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.