Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The biggest disappointments in your personal gaming history

sser

Arcane
Developer
Interstate 82....had a lot of expectation after the first one, was a horrible streamlined third person arcade shooter.

Reminds me of Driver3 or "Driv3r" as some smug marketing idiot labeled it. I think the scope of the game was just beyond the devs.

Driver: San Fran is one of my favorite console games so that did make up for it a bit, but Driver 3 had huge potential at the time it came out.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
lands of lore 3 was utter shit, and i loved the first two
lords of the realm 3 was utter shit, and i loved the first two
pillars of eternity was utter shit, and i was hoping for an actual spiritual successor to the IE games (in b4 "ie games were utter shit so worthy successor")
also, i wasn't terribly "disappointed", but i didn't like how silly fallout 2 was when compared to the first fallout. I liked that it was bigger etc, but the silliness was a bit annoying.

vmar

Savant
When I was like 10 years old and asked my parents for NFL Blitz for christmas and they got me Madden

Soulcucker

Savant
Number one is Deus Ex Invisible War, I don't think an explanation is needed for that dumbed down abortion.
ARMA series and Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising (actually had a lot of potential), still waiting for a real sequel to Operation Flashpoint.
Red Faction 2, massive backwards step when compared to the first game.
I would also pick NOLF2, Jedi Knight 2, and Commandos 3. These are all good to great games that failed to live up to my overly high expectations at the time of their release.

Beastro

Arcane
MMO3 - Had fond memories of playing it a on a friends comp, took it back the next day and bought an expack of CivIII with store credit.

Yeah, every MMO ever is disappointing. They are either pointless theme parks, or you have to basically dedicate your life to them like EVE.

Not UO or EQ~

pippin

Simon 3's impact on the gaming industry has been so big that people don't even talk about the sequels that came after it.

the_shadow

Arcane
Bought Torchlight 2 because on paper it had all the good features from Diablo 2. The whole was catastrophically less than the sum of its parts.

I'm playing Torchlight 2 at the moment, and think it's pretty damn good. Not as good the final (balanced) version of Diablo 2, but still an above average experience.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Simon 3's impact on the gaming industry has been so big that people don't even talk about the sequels that came after it.

Wow, there are two more Simon games out there :O

Simon The Sorcerer 4 : Chaos happens (fitting name)
Simon The Sorcerer : Who'd even want contact (lol even more fitting)
The games are no longer available to download as the company who published went into insolvency.

Astral Rag

Arcane
simon5-3.jpg

:badnews:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Bought Torchlight 2 because on paper it had all the good features from Diablo 2. The whole was catastrophically less than the sum of its parts.

I'm playing Torchlight 2 at the moment, and think it's pretty damn good. Not as good the final (balanced) version of Diablo 2, but still an above average experience.
Modded's better. Matter of fact I'm going to reinstall it!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Recently was pretty disappointed by broken sword 5 first episode whatever. I mean, the same urination joke puzzle twice. I might even say this series high point was the interactive breakout game in the broken sword 1 installer. But that is kind of edgy.

Deleted member 7219

Oblivion
Wizardry 8 (last time I bought a game on the recommendation of the Codex)
Batman: Arkham Knight
Bioshock Infinite
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dead Space 3
Game of Thrones RPG (I lied when I said Wizardry 8 was the last time I bought a game on recommendation of the Codex. This was actually the last time, and it was overwhelmingly shit)

I've played plenty of other shit games of course, but the ones on this list were games I expected to be better than what I actually got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom