Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Codex is going down the toilet

DraQ

Arcane
One of the issues we have with many ad providers is they take one look at the place and say "no". They have a thing about "offensive content".

We have no intention of toning things down for them.
If we don't want to up the standards inside, how about actively degrading the standards of the rest of the internets?
:troll:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You all just need to get laid.
If people get laid then they won't play games, if they don't play games they won't come to the Codex, if they don't come to the Codex the Decline will kill us all!

:killit:
Say no to sex!

That doesn't stop half of the supposedly married and with children WCDS to post.
Their wives probably don't let them play games, which is why they're angry all the time and only post in GD since they can't post about games without playing any :)

If it was impossible to post about games without playing them, this forum would be long dead.

ironyuri

You all just need to get laid.
If people get laid then they won't play games, if they don't play games they won't come to the Codex, if they don't come to the Codex the Decline will kill us all!

:killit:
Say no to sex!

That doesn't stop half of the supposedly married and with children WCDS to post.
Their wives probably don't let them play games, which is why they're angry all the time and only post in GD since they can't post about games without playing any :)

If it was impossible to post about games without playing them, skyway would be long dead.

Fixed.

Alex

Arcane
It's incredibly retarded to believe that the "all goes" mentality of GD has anything to do with why the rest of the Codex may be good. That's just something the people who like the atmosphere of GD (ie the people who feel oppressed in other parts of soceity/the internet because of percieved PC hegemony) repeats to attribute the quality analysis of crpgs on the rest of the Codex with their own shitposting/mental malfunctions.

Well, I disagree by the reasons mentioned above, but I also wanted to add that my point isn't that the Codex is better for having GD (and some times other parts) work like a public toilet, but that trying to solve the problem by having a tougher moderation will create a new problem in its stead, one that might be even worse, I think.

There was a similar thread that reemerged a while back and looking at some of the older posts (from 2008) they were mostly complaining about how the Codex had declined.

I guess the Codex has just kept declining since its peak in 2002. Or Codexians tend to see decline everywhere.

Hey, not our fault we are good at sniffing it out.

copx

!Copx went away forever for almost a week
Dude, the only person that sounds dramatic is you. I don't care if you're right or wrong in this situation, you sound like a whiny fag, the same type you love to denigrate.

"Hey! Hey guys! I am not interested in drama!

"Hey! Hey guys! Why don't you pay attention to me? I said I am not interested in drama!"

"Respect me!"

Next time you whine about not being interested in drama, realize that you sound like the exact person you say you are not.
I know thinking isn't your strong suit, you edgy shitposter, you, but there is a huge fucking difference between "Fuck this shit. I've had it and I'm out." and emo forumwhoring cry-me-a-river ranting and raving. Copx isn't posting so he gets some attention as a special snowflake. He's posting to draw attention to the fact that codex has some shit moderation going on. So how about you fucking think before you type?

This hasn't been as a result of any deliberate decision. Basically two things happened:

2. We got some new mods who are "more sensitive" to certain matters. I don't actually agree with a lot of the thread moving / post splitting / retardo'ing that's gone on in some forums (meaning I wouldn't have done it myself) but I also don't care enough to stop it. I like to give people leeway to "do their own thing" and so long as it doesn't cause too many problems, shit seems to work out. I think a lot of that attitude allows people like Crooked Bee to come onboard and just start making content without me having to tell her to. I'm not even sure who brought her onboard in the first place actually, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. So even then, someone felt the freedom to give it a shot and ask her to help write content. If you start running the place as a "I have to tell you do something" true dictatorship, nothing would happen. People would be too scared to act in case I "disagreed" and over-ruled them. Actually even some of the content we've had I wouldn't have agreed with and I hate how everything gets pre-fixed "RPG Codex Interview Review Preview" in the title now but hey, what can you do.
Drop these fucking moderators. Being laid-back is good. Letting people do their own thing is good. But when this gets moderators to start getting uptight over users and start running the show, we have a fucking problem. Copx didn't need this shit, and neither do the rest of us. RPG Codex is home to a special type of curmudgeonly asshole: The kind who is sick and tired of fucking mods who censor us and shut us down for "the greater good." It leads to fucking incestuous communities where mods surround themselves with brownnosing scum and make us fucking enable retards by pretending they deserve respect and welcome instead of telling them to their face they are fucking stupid and need to get their shit in order if they ever want to get taken seriously. And even before any of that down-the-slippery-slope shit, mods make us suffer the basic problem of not being able to say the shit we want to say. And that, my friends, is fucking annoying.

Yes, the codex needs mods to stop goatse-bait and spamwhores, but no, we don't need fucking mods retardoing posts just because it can lead to OT or rude shit. If a thread is well and truly being fucked, then I might see why a mod might feel compelled to retardo, but preventative moderation is fucking bullshit. As Brayko said:
Once the "intolerance of intolerance" starts getting loud and heavy and overbearing, that's when things generally start to suck.

And we forumgoers can control the dumb shit ourselves without moderation. When vots started being a fucking tool all over marine_jake's thread, the other posters sorted him out (Link).

Yeah yeah. Like I said, there was plenty of shitposting back then too (and the Codex was always a bunch of angry old men), but you gotta admit there is a difference between "you must equip the ring" and "tasteful rape" if we're just looking at some superficial Codex memes from 2003 v 201x.

tldr: get off my lawn!
I dunno. "Tastefully done rape" actually has a point between the comedy though. Play Dragon Age: Origins with the City Elf vignette and you'll see that there are rape scenes which are mangled so badly that you come to understand the need for some real literary caliber in devising rape scenes. There are a lot of two-bit writers out there who feel cool using rape scenes for shallow pity points and obvious villainy instead of any real exploration of rape issues. And even those who try to explore how "serious" rape is usually go overboard instead of staying realistic.

Personally, I wouldn't mind some tastefully done rape in a game.

Jeason is clearly a shit mod that is way overzealous and takes things personally, but copx, that joke wasn't very funny and it contained ancient memes. I mostly lurk these days, but this is a bigger problem:
I don't know how personally he takes shit, but it looks like he's taken moderation too far. He needs to leave his moderation privileges behind if this is how he mods.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I know thinking isn't your strong suit, you edgy shitposter, you, but there is a huge fucking difference between "Fuck this shit. I've had it and I'm out." and emo forumwhoring cry-me-a-river ranting and raving. Copx isn't posting so he gets some attention as a special snowflake. He's posting to draw attention to the fact that codex has some shit moderation going on. So how about you fucking think before you type?
So? What makes you think I care about the purpose of the post? My only intent was to draw attention to the fact that you, copx, sound just like the whiners that you denigrate. That is all. I don't care if you did it with a sweet, good heart, because I only want to point out how butthurt you sound, how you can't seem to make a lucid argument in an even handed manner. By the way, hyperbole and over-reaction only make people suspect you to be a troll, whether you are or not, so you undermine your own argument. Good job!

By the way, if I'm an edgy shitposter, shouldn't I be the one bearing the brunt of moderation? Moron, lol.

You've also got me wrong if you think I'm pro-moderation in any means. I don't really care. But I do want to reiterate that youuuu are a whiny faaag

Drop these fucking moderators. Being laid-back is good. Letting people do their own thing is good. But when this gets moderators to start getting uptight over users and start running the show, we have a fucking problem.
Oh please. I spent 99% of my time on the Codex making one liners and harvesting brofists. Haven't been modded once.

Also, people need to volunteer before a mod can be dropped (or rather, replaced).

Oh lord, you take this place too seriously. It's hard to have a laid-back forum when people fight for rights on a forum as if it were life sustaining. The fact that you have to make an alt, as if people care about your posting history on your main name. Is this high school?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Copx posted this because he's an emo attention-whore. If he really only wanted to point out shitty moderation, he would have gone through the correct channels first, meaning he'd have contacted DU about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:avatard: It's kind of funny to me that Jaesun gets all the flack for being the Codex's iconic "evil moderator" despite not moderating the forums that are most prone to shitposting. Seriously, you care about the moderation in GRPG and GG that much?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:avatard: It's kind of funny to me that Jaesun gets all the flack for being the Codex's iconic "evil moderator" despite not moderating the forums that are most prone to shitposting. Seriously, you care about the moderation in GRPG and GG that much?
Jaesun has the irritating habit of shunting anything that has even remotely something to do with Groroius Nippon off to General Gaming messing up completely cRPG General appropriate discussions. This has mostly stopped with the creation of Desu Desu Ghetto but still sometimes comes up. I can also only be angry about shit moderation in the parts of the forums where I actually post.

Random

Arcane
Patron
It's really hard to be more transparent than you are right now, copx. Just saying.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Do people even care where threads are? I have the same discussion in certain threads regardless of what forum they're in. As long as everything doesn't get shunted into a single forum, pushing down all other threads, I'm happy.

Except for jRPG. I won't touch that filthy fucking place.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
ITT: copx displays off-the-charts levels of butthurt, quits, re-registers with an alt, shows even HIGHER levels of butthurt, and refers to himself in the third person. :lol:

tiagocc0

Arcane
Alright boys, let's organize this fucking mess, whoever wants to be banned please fill this form:

Account name:
Date to be banned:
Reason to be banned:
Alts:
Mac Address:

This should stop this type of threads and everyone who wants a kick in the arse will get one, you can even choose the day of the ban, how convenient!

Random

Arcane
Patron
Alright boys, let's organize this fucking mess, whoever wants to be banned please fill this form:

Account name:
Date to be banned:
Reason to be banned:
Alts:
Mac Address:

This should stop this type of threads and everyone who wants a kick in the arse will get one, you can even choose the day of the ban, how convenient!

:incline:

Fucking. Brilliant. Give this man a medal special tag ban.

tiagocc0

Arcane

Account name:
Date to be banned:
Reason to be banned:
Alts:
Mac Address:

:incline:

Fucking. Brilliant. Give this man a medal special tag ban.
Yeah, I can be the guinea pig for this marvelous experiment, here is my form:

Account name: copx
Date to be banned: 20/04/2013
Reason to be banned: butthurtness
Alts: The Wanderer
Mac Address: But I have a PC!

Do people even care where threads are? I have the same discussion in certain threads regardless of what forum they're in. As long as everything doesn't get shunted into a single forum, pushing down all other threads, I'm happy.

Except for jRPG. I won't touch that filthy fucking place.

If you browse multiple subforums sometimes it's hard to remember where a thread is. For example, I'm always looking for the Dark Souls thread in General Gaming before remembering it was punted to the jRPG forum.

Copx didn't need this shit, and neither do the rest of us.

:lol:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
If you browse multiple subforums sometimes it's hard to remember where a thread is. For example, I'm always looking for the Dark Souls thread in General Gaming before remembering it was punted to the jRPG forum.

Makes sense. Although the only time I really go looking for threads is when they stop giving me alerts.

Which is another issue I'd like to ask about, seeing as this thread is essentially useless now. How do I get threads to continue giving me notifications even if I don't post in them for a long while? It seems after a certain amount of times following the notifications but not posting they simply stop appearing in the notification window. Even if you Watch a thread, it seems to happen.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never remember this function exists :oops:. Then again, why not simply let threads alone unless they're really out of place, instead of using it as a thinly veiled :obviously: tier system (CRPG Discussion > General Gaming > JRPG Weeaboo)? A mod's job is to keep the place running, not to "fix" it.

I browse the site solely using the "What's New?" feature. At times I am not even entirely sure what subforums we actually have.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The Codex is going down the toilet, or the toilet is coming up on the Codex?

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom