Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Eisen

Learned
Lord Dredmor killed me today in Dungeons of Dredmor
:negative:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I play Cataclysm DDA (before it will go full retarded). I haven't played for two years so i started easy. Easy means i died several times. Just like every time i begin after more than a year of not playing. I need to learn it again.
The last death was kinda "amusing". I had a fleet footed + quick character (easy mode!) so i though - "what can go wrong? i'll always outrun anything when needed". Found myself in middle of a city after burning building start. Found a working security van, great. 30 seconds later i'm stuck, i literally forgot how to drive. The zombies surround me but with superior speed i ran with only scratches. Next I encounter new type of enemies "feral human". Meh, looks pathetic... Then two of them start to throw rocks with 100% accuracy. I'm half dead in no time. Then some runners and zombie dogs, rip... In a zombie apocalypse I died because some crazy bastards have thrown a few rocks at me!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ghoul Solipsist, insane-roguelike.
Six turns for Atamatata, a bit more for Ugly Mug.
Third - and best - ghoul-soli @ at char vault. Did everything - DC, godeater etc - except Lina and farportal.

111.jpg

222.jpg

buffalo bill

Arcane
angelic badge number 2, fuck yeah. got lucky with a plasma shotgun (later modded with two power mods and a technical mod), but had no armor the entire run (!). mastermind never got a shot off. shottyhead rules
doomrlangelic2.jpg

killin it

Jigby

Augur
The thread is too big to search, did anyone mentioned (and played) Epilogue - one of my all-time favourite roguelike?

https://kraflab.itch.io/epilogue
No, but I played the game ~10 years ago. Sparsely. After Desura died, I lost the game and I forgot what it was called. Since there are so many of these indie roguelikes/roguelites I never even bothered searching for it. But now that you've posted it here the memories come back to me, I'm waking up, I've taken the redpill. Thank you, I guess. :)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Turns out there's an official sanctioned (not ported by Noa, but still Japenese) port of Elona (not Elona+) for Android and iOS. Has some of the usual mobile monetisation, live service-y stuff; but might still be worth checking out if you're bored on a bus or something.

This was about the only look at it that I could find:

Anyone here tried Lost Flame? Trope-defined, but people keep calling it Dark Souls x Roguelikes, not just because of difficulty but because of a focus on positioning.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Holy shit—angelic badge number three!!! this time the marksman angelic badge. I've been playing so much I've been dreaming in ascii. This time my strategy was (i) early on find good rooms/spots to hide in and kill enemies as they approached (or find the exit as soon as possible in big open levels), (ii) try to kill as many enemies as possible early on to get experience levels as fast as possible (which was helped both by angel of darkness and nightmare) so that I could (iii) get cateye as fast as possible (after dualgunner and son of a gun 3). Cateye requires only one wasted trait—one level of triggerhappy—which wasn't so bad given the extra experience I was getting. The biggest obstacle after getting dualgunner (lost like 50-60 times on levels 1/2 before getting dualgunner) was phobos anomaly, but luckily I had tactical boots this time so I was able to run through it (power modded red armor got destroyed in the process though). I got lucky with the military base, and was able to gift drop to kill all the enemies pretty easily (by waiting massive numbers of turns, of course). By the very end I was a fucking killing machine, though.

This badge was CRAZY hard. Hardest thing I've successfully achieved in a game ever, hands down. Makes infra arcana look like a child's game in comparison. I cannot tell you how many times I got killed making one tiny error, or by getting unlucky one time. probably gonna take a break from doomrl for a minute now

angelic1.png
angelic3.png
angelic4.png

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Is this a roguelike? Seems like the combat is Wasteland-style (or, less charitably, JRPG-style), and not like a traditional roguelike

The first person combat is it's shtick, yeah; but I don't know what else you'd call it, and its predecessor has always been regarded a roguelike despite the same instancing. Like you can draw the line differently if you want, but it's not just a game "with some roguelike elements", you know?

dacencora

Is the first one recommended?

Don't really know your tastes, but for the cost of it (just a few euro) it's not a bad pick if you want something for relatively short/quick runs.
I like the art style and I’m a fan of blobber combat, so this might do nicely. My question was not specific enough. Is there value in playing the first one or is the second one better in every regard?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I like the art style and I’m a fan of blobber combat, so this might do nicely. My question was not specific enough. Is there value in playing the first one or is the second one better in every regard?

I haven't had time to try the sequel yet, but give me a bit of time and I'll get back to you on this. ^^

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
dacencora I would definitely recommend the second as the better game; that seems to be a general consensus.

The only issue I have is that I found the tutorial / notes included with the first game far superior to what's included with its successor. Still, I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

Been getting into DCSS lately, and oh boy do I suck at it, but there's a game with some great internal documentation. I wish it was more of a thing.

Infinitum

Scholar
Burn your resources early. If you're still alive by late lair most character builds get by with spells and abilities (and a clutch few consumables like teleport), but up until then shit like Ogres and whatnot needs wands/darts/whateverhaveyou zapped at them with abandon.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Riposte removed from Long Blades in DCSS in exchange for more base damage. Exchanging a flawed but interesting feature in that weapon type for boring damage bonus.

At this point I question if they just want to destroy the game.

Covenant

Savant
Riposte removed from Long Blades in DCSS in exchange for more base damage. Exchanging a flawed but interesting feature in that weapon type for boring damage bonus.

At this point I question if they just want to destroy the game.

At this point? It's been on a pretty steady downward curve since 0.16.

But hey, at least the devs made it a safe space for that guy to post his freaky sex dreams about Duvessa.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Finished angelic badge #4—centurial angelic—and I'm not even excited because I just played for 9 hours straight to get it. after the beginning it gets tedious as hell. Pretty much just plowing through as fast as possible once I got dragonslayer and the inquisitor set. Only scary part was when I found dragonslayer and my berserk ran out (you need to be berserk and wear nothing/wield nothing to pick it up), but I killed some revenants (while wearing no armor!) to get my berserk back and picked up the sword. Never found the berserker armor, which kinda sucks. Oh my god that was so long and boring, never again.
doomcenturial1.png

doomcenturial2.png

doomcenturial3.png

doomcenturial4.png

Metronome

Learned
I've been playing a lot of Zangband recently and came across a wyrm of power. It's alignment is good, while all of the other wyrms, including the wyrm of law, are evil. Makes me wonder about the nature of good and evil. Most likely this alteration was made so that the wyrm would not be vulnerable to weapons that slay evil, as no standard weaknesses is the gimmick behind the monster. But the implications are interesting. Perhaps it is so powerful that it never has to do an evil thing? Or maybe it values the power of goodness over evil's rewards, and so invests in it through charity or other means? So it ends up virtuous in order to gain the coveted protection against attacks which slay evil. It's search for power did not corrupt it but instead made it good.

Metronome

Learned
I just beat Zangband a little while ago. Nothing much to say about the final fight. I overprepared and it wasn't too interesting. The final boss functions almost identically to Morgoth and even drops the same loot. He has a haste spell now but it's more of a neccessity than a threat as speed equipment is much more common in this game. He also has a few breath attacks which aren't too scary with the proper resistances. I don't think he cast a single attack spell the whole fight, and it went on for a decent while. He also summoned a few times but, since my guy was so fast, they didn't ammount to much. There is also a pretty dumb oversight in which the final boss can't even attack you if you stand on a rune of protection. I expected it to help me out a little bit, not cheese the whole fight! I got off once I noticed though. It was easy enough anyway with the crazy randart drops and damage I was doing. Not that I am complaining. The artifact hunting really made the game. Overall it was very fun with a lot to do. A great improvement to Angband in my opinion. There is some more content and uniques left to kill but I think that will be all for me.

UM2t2Wx.png
If I can figure out where this thing puts your character dumps I might post my guy's final stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom