Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, there is no need to actively seek two fronts. I think everyone here would be happy just to have the Phyrries as an appetizer. Besides, the Raumen made that same mistake, attacking both the Turanei and the Phyr at the same time. Granted, we are better than they are, but it would still be a hard battle.

145041apscreenshot20090.jpg

(Just a little dabble with MS Paint, I'm nowhere near as good as Jack)

And this is a symptom of our complacence. Though fallen hero of my bloodline he may be... Our spies are soft. They can't steal information and solo entire armies. They don't know how to collar-grab. They aren't EXTREME enough.

Radisshu

Prophet
C. We cannot tolerate our vessels being attacked,
by primitive furries no less.

But they would probably make a great slave race.

laclongquan

Arcane
Hmmm, too late to vote. But luckily it's just the way I want..

It's time we smash those honeylickers. Want to play us for patsy, eh.

Flagship Imperial Wrath will lead the fleet smash through the defense of their most important worlds. We will plunder their tech, most notably the cloak, and the FTL drives, we will pillage their system, we will show them that however libelfag Codexians may have been, at heart we are Vikings!

Although, a word of caution: No need for contact the Lizard. As they are xenophobe, it's a prudent thing to do. Dont contact them, dont attack them, dont violate their space, and I suspect we will be fine. And cautious against the bears. What's their connection with the crystals? Pillage, loot what you want but you must be ready for their renewed strength if the crystal intervene the 2nd times.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dogs of War!

Recruitment offices were swarming with impressionable minds before the declaration of war even went out. Hundreds of thousands volunteered immediately; millions more were right behind them. It was the greatest call to arms humanity had experienced in over three hundred years. Patriotic fervor had reached a fever pitch. The duplicitous Phyr would pay for their attacks on Codexian innocents with their lives! Soon thereafter, fuel cells were being loaded up intoo ships heavily burdened with terrifying complements of weaponry. Star charts for the campaign were being drawn up on translucent tables, underneath the steely gazes of flag officers and the General Staff. This time... this war... would not be a repeat of the Raumen debacle. Codexianity would be prepared.

And, in truth, much had changed since those heady days of yore. The Navy had ballooned to more than two thousand vessels of all types, and its manpower had grown to well over two and a half million. This was a different beast, altogether, to the one that fought the Raumeni to a standstill some fifty years ago. There was a silent determination amongst the collected war leaders that it would never again come to the mad scramble of survival that characterized humanity's only previous interstellar war. This conflict would be a controlled, firmly handled procedure, with a clear goal: to punish the Phyr for their transgressions. Codexianity would show no weakness to these xeno scum. There was no room for such weakness, anymore.

Before your mighty armada sails off to war, you must decide...

Question One

Is the armada... organized into a number of 'fleets in being', wherein the battleships play the major role, and the aim is to engage in decisive battle with enemy units? Drone and craft carriers play a secondary role according to this model.

OR

Is the armada... organized into 'carrier task-forces', wherein the carrier-class vessels play the major role, and the aim is to engage enemy units only as a means toward attacking their staging points, major bases and logistical arteries?

Question Two

Is the armada... armed primarily with missile batteries launching salvos of high explosive warheads at enemy targets?

OR

Is the armada... armed primarily with laser/maser banks, lacerating the hulls of enemy vessels with high energy beams?

Question Three

Is the aim of the war to... force an unconditional Phyr surrender?

OR

Is the aim of the war to... subjugate the Phyr entirely?

laclongquan

Arcane
We are using Wyrmhole, meaning we have the ability to march straight to their homeworld if we know the coordinates, relatively easily with a huge force. The enemies use FTL, meaning they can dance around our mighty fleets. It would be silly if we want to chase them into knife-range.

So.

Question one: Hammer Strategy.

We gather force into fleet built around carriers and dreadnoughts. We march straight to their Homeworld, ignore their efforts to draw us out in parcels and packets. They will stand and fight us, unless they abandon their worlds.

Question two: Long range sniping.

We dont have the ability to chase those FTL warcrafts. So knife-range is out. The only thing left is missile duels. In these kinds of battle speed of vessel is not important, size of ship and the bulk of magazines are more important.

Question three: Unconditional Surrender.

We cant let the war with bears distract us (and deplete our resources for) from other threats, namely our old enemy the bug, the mysterious crystal beings, and the unknown Hiin empire. Their total surrender is enough.

juggernaut

Educated
Q1: B
Head-on versus stealth tech doesn't seem very efficient to me, best to go for their infrastructure.

Q2: B
Who doesn't love beam weapons?

Q3: B
Bear slavery sounds like a valuable addition to fair Codexia, and hopefully taking such an EXTREME approach will cause the crystal aliens to interfere like last time.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
At last it has begun!
It is time to show my expertise as a tactician and a field marshal.

B
We should aim to finish them off as quickly as possible.
As my fellow councillor pointed out we have the advantage of wyrmholes.
They won't even know what hit them.
B
They have FTL-drives, they probably are changing location too fast for our missiles.
Our phasers should be able to cut trough their ships like butter, and they are much faster than missiles.
B
We can't have them rebuilding their strength during a possible war against the Raumen.
We need to take direct control of them.
That would also mean bear slaves and stealth tech.

Gentlemen, I think it is clear who is going to win this war.
Codexia have the means, the will and the brains to force the Phyrries down on their knees.
Make it so.

laclongquan

Arcane
How on Codex are you going to chase them into laser range? They got FTL, meaning if they feel like it they could dance around you with impunity. Speed of vessel matters in this kind of battle, and we are losing in that aspect. And our fleet is mainly of large ships, meaning we have the capacity for missiles reloads. Aim five salvos at the planet and those buggers will have to stand to swat them out of the space. And here come the sixth specifically for you.

But that is tactic, which must be subordinate to strategy.

Unconditional surrender mean their techs are belong to us. Cloak, FTL and whatever else. Punishing Fines for attacking us. A few systems changed hands as the price to witdraw our fleets. Total Subjugate is time consuming, resource intensive (we need ground troops to garrison on their planets), and extremely distracting. Who want to bet the bugs wont smuggle into the garrisoned planets to forment revolts? After the war the Codexia need time to recuperate our loss and that wont be possible if we have to police our slaves.

We dont need those slaves, ladies and gentlemen, for various good reasons. Reasons of states, not of morality.

taplonaplo

Scholar
B on question one
I believe we have superior technology over them, and they will be the ones defending their worlds thanks to our Wyrmhole travel, so we need not to be concerned about epic interstellar battles, and just get the job done as soon as possible.

A on second question
The problem with precise energy weapons that you can't shoot blind. Their stealth tech is much more efficent against such weapon, since we can only engage them once we pierced their veil. Lets not forget the collateral damage explosive warheads can do, and honestly, there's just nothing like bombing the shit out of them from orbit. (unless we have some mega death ray that can vaporize entire cities, in which case I'm all for it!)

On question three, i must raise my worries that attempting to fully enslave the furfolk, is much more resource demanding, resource we should be spending on preparing to strike down the Raumen with, and if one thing we learnt from our short interstellar history is, that desperation is the cradle of solutions, and that it can be really dangerous to us.
So i suggest we go for unconditional surrender for the time being. The Phyr are just a distraction from our true enemy, the Raumen. And for now, I don't want to mess with the crystaé guys yet. One step at a time, one step.
So option A on question three

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
laclongquan said:
How on Codex are you going to chase them into laser range? They got FTL, meaning if they feel like it they could dance around you with impunity. Speed of vessel matters in this kind of battle, and we are losing in that aspect. And our fleet is mainly of large ships, meaning we have the capacity for missiles reloads. Aim five salvos at the planet and those buggers will have to stand to swat them out of the space. And here come the sixth specifically for you.

But that is tactic, which must be subordinate to strategy.

Unconditional surrender mean their techs are belong to us. Cloak, FTL and whatever else. Punishing Fines for attacking us. A few systems changed hands as the price to witdraw our fleets. Total Subjugate is time consuming, resource intensive (we need ground troops to garrison on their planets), and extremely distracting. Who want to bet the bugs wont smuggle into the garrisoned planets to forment revolts? After the war the Codexia need time to recuperate our loss and that wont be possible if we have to police our slaves.

We dont need those slaves, ladies and gentlemen, for various good reasons. Reasons of states, not of morality.
What makes you think they will willingly let you launch the warheads towards their planets?
They do have a defensive force, they had a lot of smaller fighters and cloaked turds.
I think you would find a missile quite ineffective against such a target.

Besides, they probably have some sort of way of neutralizing a missile directed towards a ground target.

And regarding their defeat, a mere surrender is not going to give us control of their remaining ships.
A mere surrender is not going to give us several starports, factories and workers.

taplonaplo

Scholar
An unconditional surrender is called as such for a reason you know. And we don't need to control their ships, if we can prevent them for interstellar travel they are as good as dead, and that can be achieved by simply destroying them, however inefficent that may be.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
We need their resources and manpower.
Remember on what level our technology is.
Enslaving them would be simple, and it would prevent them from invading us in a few years.

Remember Germany and the two world wars?
The first time they made an unconditional surrender.
That was the reason to a second war.
Then they subjugated Germany completely.

There never was a third world war.

Get my point?
In long term it is the superior choice, and in short term it gives us a economical boost.
We will be able to construct more warships than before, have completely new resources available and won't risk future unrest.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here are my thoughts.

Question One.

B. Carrier task-forces.

The others have said as much on this and it's the only way to go. Let's not forget we have superior sub-light engines - this means that only their capital ships have superior FTL mobility to ours, and their fighters are far inferior. Engaging in battleship-based combat is futile.

Question Two.

A. High explosive missile batteries.

Lasers are cool and all, but nothing beats waves and waves of BOOM DAKKA DAKKA BOOM. They can't get them all. Remember that they have stealth technology that renders them as a dead spot on our sensors. Pinpoint weaponry will not be of much use. This is an important question, gentlemen. We must get our armaments right. Missiles have a wide blast radius. It does not matter if they are intercepted, there are always more missiles on the way, and we do not need to be accurate. Missiles are indiscriminate, which will work very well against stealthed enemies.

Question Three.

A. Unconditional surrender.

As much as I would love to crush them under our feet, let us recall the Raumen-Phyr conflict. The Phyr, pushed to desperation, waged an effective war of resistance that eventually pushed the Raumen out of their expanse and gained them more territory. If we attempt subjugation, I fear the Phyr may go underground and engage in chaotic guerrilla warfare that would sap our strength. This is unneeded especially if we are planning to conquer the Raumen next.

Subjugation only works if the target populace will go along willingly. Seeing as even depopulation of their worlds only results in their furry little ego being enraged further, worsening the Turanei-Phyr conflict, they seem to be the sort of rabid little buggers that will not take slavery well. Best to get what we can from them and turn our attentions elsewhere. If they insist on prodding us then we invoke Operation Ursinocide.

edit: If Subjugation is another word for Genocide, then I'm all for Option B. Suffer not the xenos to live.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Very well, but remember my words when they detonate a warhead before it has even left the launchbay and when they invade us in the middle of a war against the Raumen.

gamihaacj.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Don't worry so much, brother.

Most of the councillors have not yet voted, and you may yet get your wish of beams of death and total enslavement of all furryfolk.

A war is no fun if there is no drama.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
True, admiral.
What matters is not how we defeat them, it is the will to do so.
The Codexian spirit is strong in you.
:salute:

TNO

Augur
1. B

Carrier task forces. Our aim isn't to have stand up fights with enemy fleet assets. It is to annihilate the Phyr.

2. A

Missiles can saturation bombard enemy stealth fields the enemy uses. Failing that, admirals can wyrmhole their ships inside these veils to engage at extreme close range. My suspicion is that Missiles would do more damage more quickly before enemys could retreat..

3. B

The point of this war, besides answering insult, is gain of resources. If it wasn't so, we should simply fortify our borders against Phyr harassment whilst mobilizing against the bugs. If we fight the Phyr to unconditional surrender, we might as well wholly subjugate them whilst we are at it. Indeed, we should accept their surrender to demilitarize them before proceeding with the process of subjugation.

Subjugation has a cost of resistance, but I think that can be defrayed by ruling the furries with an iron fist. Only a dreadnaught and some patrolling frigates are needed over and above garrison forces. Some well placed bribes to reward collaboration combined with a clear threat that any insurrection will result in orbital bombardment of Phyr population centres should be sufficient. If they choose death, so be it. We will populate their planets ourselves. Besides, it is not like surrender doesn't bring similar risks: why wouldn't they, after surrendering, build their forces to mount their own revenge, or coordinate with the bugs?

And there's lots of plusses. One, rapidly reproducing slave labour. Two, resources. These are the gains we should be fighting for. Let us maximize them.

I propose our righteous fight be called Operation Yiff in Hell.

laclongquan

Arcane
Napoleon was destroyed not just because of his winter war, but because of the peninsula war draining his empire of resources.

Most of Hitler's resources was poured into Eastern Front, lead to a drained and exhausted Reich.

Now, assuming your war lead to either total domination, meaning bear slaves, or genocides, meaning glassed planets and empty systems. How on Earth are you going to recover after that, even assume the unlikely event that the bugs wont jump us? where is the money? Export goods to the bugs? Hah. Export goods to the Lizard? Hah.

With a defeated civilization you got ready made markets, and they will serve to bolster our economy. Judging from earlier peace periods, our penetration into their markets will be easier than ours into bugs' markets.

I said it before: we dont want a pyrrhic victory. Burn yourself to ash just to win a war is selfdefeated.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
SLAVERY-GETS-SHIT-DONE.gif

You don't realise that it isn't money we want, it is resources.
Money in itself lacks real value.
We don't need to pay slaves.
We don't need to buy material.
We don't need to pay anything.

All we need is someone to keep them in line.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
BAA said a little lamb..

Make them pay. Attack their staging areas and worlds with high-explosive doom, and force a surrender!

Hopefully, this will be a quick campaign, but I fear it will go on for some time, as the care-bears are numerous and war-like. Subjugating them would take forever.
Bear in mind though, that even if we force a surrender, we should anticipate them not taking it well. They might continue to attack us, much in the same way they dealt with the lizard people.
Maybe if we used propaganda? Used our intel to show the furries how they were played by the bugs, into attacking the lizards just to pave the way for the future bug expansion? Maybe we could piss off the teddies enough to also engage the bugs.. :twisted:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Carrier task forces, armed with missile batteries for planetary bombardment, and their only aim: the complete and unconditional surrender of the xenos.

Slavery would be nice, but I think it is more trouble than it is worth. Besides, we could always make them give us a percentage of their population as slaves as part of the terms of surrender.

lightbane

Arcane
Fellow High Lords of Terra, to our questions, I say:

1.B. I have nothing to say that you have not said already, just let's pray the Raumen don't try to surprise buttsex us.

2.A: What to do if missiles don't work? SHOOT MORE MISSILES!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxnC6jkJyEM&translated=1

3: A For now we'll be fine with a surrendering, after we crush the raumen we can return and slave them all.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The choice of arms is pure guesswork, but I do firmly stand my ground on the matters of our victory.
If we don't crush their spirit completely we will have the same war again later on.
The bugs aren't stupid, they know we're coming for them next.
They will probably do what we didn't have the balls to do.
Enslave the bears.
Then we have two opponents on our hands.

As much as the phyrr hate the Raumen they will hate us even more after the war, sufficiently to ally themselves with the Raumen willingly.

Consider that you could be making a grave mistake, councillors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom