Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
1. B - it's already been said.

2. A - If we're going to conduct a task-force guerilla-ish war, having something that goes boom seems the most likely way to win. Shooting whole in key points with lasers doesn't really seem that effective.

3. B - If we've got 'em where they would surrender unconditionally, we might as well go all the way! SUBJUGATION!

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh my, all the things that happen while I take a refreshing cryogenic nap. Finally, a war!

Q1:B First of all, as many have already pointed out, the villainous turd-farers will be silenced swiftly if our Wyrmholes appear next to their supply and military bases and vaporize them before their very eyes. A successful campaign of annihilation will break the back of their war machine.

Q2:A We must keep the bear turd swarms at a reasonable distance, and missile batteries are there to help us with this. After all, a military genius once said, speaking of the obsolete technologies of bows and crossbows, "Take three hundred men, arm them with crossbows and tell them to shoot in some direction and they're bound to shoot someone!" We must swarm them and perform a campaign of shock and awe.

Q3:A We shouldn't flip-flop so badly on our former allies as to actually turn their entire race into our slaves. Besides, they would riot and cause various incidents, likely trying to provoke us into a war with the Turenei just to get their revenge. Certainly, they may try to exact their revenge again, should they ever rise to power again, and as they are a crowd of swiftly-reproducing space bears, they well might, but at least we wouldn't have to worry about guerilla warfare and terrorism within our own borders more than we've usually had to.

There's also the matter of the crystalline aliens. If we attempt to completely subjugate the Phyrrystan, who's to say they won't come in to help them?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I wonder what my great grandfather would say if he was alive today.
hamnoaacj.jpg

He would probably be enraged because of the cowardice many council members have shown.

wjw

Augur
I say: Carriers, Missiles and complete Surrender!

For all the reasons already listed.

praetor

Arcane
1: B

carriers ftw. first we cut off the resources, then we finish them off

2: B

i do not agree missiles are the best choice. with a carrier task force it would be difficult (for the smallest craft) to avoid friendly fire if huge amounts of unguided missiles are fired at fast moving FTL vessels. yes, missiles would be better for launching attacks at both planets and their stealth turds (they're both quite static targets so either weapon tech would be good with missiles dealing more DPS although they're easier to counter), but using them against fast moving FTL vessels seems hopeless (unless the furry FTL tech is much inferior to the bugs' and it requires some considerable time to recharge after every "jump" and/or our sensors can pick up their "exit hole" right before it forms so we can launch the barrages preemptively).

also FREESPACE BEAMS!!!!! (and remember how easy it was to intercept bombs/missiles in that game. just to give an example :))

3: B

TOTAL. FUCKING. SLAVERY! :twisted:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Status report:
A:0
B:16

A:11
B:4

A:10
B:6

If I haven't made any mistakes...

praetor

Arcane
Jack said:
Status report:
A:0
B:16

A:11

A:10
B:6

If I haven't made any mistakes...

you obviously have, since there's (apparently) 16 voters and Q2 only has 15 votes counted (obviously a conspiracy by the missile-manufacturing companies)

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Oh you're right, it should be:

A:12

I will fire my secretary.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Screw their FTL battleships. We will never be able to win effiiciently in a ship-to-ship scenario given their mobility, and thus we should specialize heavily on razing strategic targets to the ground.

Plus remember, lasers travel at the speed of light. Their ships are faster than light. They can outrun our beams anyway, if we plan to utilize beams just to catch them. Our sublight engines are far superior to theirs, and thus at non-FTL speeds we can outfight them any day, meaning that their slow-ass sublight engines will not save them from our missile barrages.

Better to out-think them and lead them into, say, a killing field surrounded with multi megaton warheads which detonate and cut off any hope of escape for them.

edit: And as far as the Phyrries go, I would rather they rise up against us in a known, straight-up conflict if they are unsatisfied with their defeat. Then we can smash them head on. Again. And again. And again. Until their fucking thick furry skulls finally learn the one unifying rule of the universe:

Don't. Fuck. With Codexia.

laclongquan

Arcane
The correct image is this: Our fleet as the hammers, their planets as anvils. We pound missiles onto those anvils. Their battlesquadrons have two choices: abandon the planets/bases, or stand to swat those missiles. And once they stand they are toasts.

The correct motto is thus:

Bow. Down. To. Codexia.

Angthoron

Arcane
Our foes shall rue the day they thought to touch us with their foul xeno hands!

Purge the unclean!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hooray. Can't wait to find out if we got beat up badly by Ewoks.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Great Dying

16sci-fi03.jpg

In the end, what was most surprising was how hard the Phyr fought. They proved a savage foe - even against virtually insurmountable odds. The Codexian invasion was well planned, well organized and ruthlessly prosecuted. It ran like clockwork; a success for the textbooks of the future. Though the Phyr had a number of advantages, those proved largely tactical... and short-lived. The Amoneth-provided stealth technology indeed cloaked the behemoth carriers preferred by the ursine threat. At the onset of the Codexian offensive, they mauled a number of Carrier Task Forces, taking them by surprise and utterly destroying them. But... the Codexian Navy was by now a remarkably resilient institution. Soon enough, counter-tactics were developed. The Phyr penchant for ramming their cloaked vessels down the throats of human carriers and unleashing an endless wave of fighter-bombers was rendered null and void when the Codexians began deploying picket-vessels light minutes in advance of their main bodies.

If the Phyr attempted to bypass them via FTL, they were invariably detected by the residue left extending from their point of origin (which allowed Codexian sensors to triangulate their vector and position). If, instead, they attempted to get into tactical range via sublight means, they would begin any engagement at a hopeless disadvantage, with even the slowest Codexian vessel being much faster than their lumbering motherships. One by one, those kilometres-long stealth carriers were hunted down and broken up by massed missile barrages. Codexian fighter pilot aces ran into the hundreds within months of the war's onset, as thousands upon thousands of their cumbersome Phyr counterparts met their ends in that darkest of places that separates the lonely points of light we call our homes. By the sixth month of a conflict that was rapidly turning into a massacre, over twenty of the Phyr super-carriers were reduced to particles of interstellar dust.

And, yet, it could all have been very different. The Phyr had obviously not contemplated nor desired a strategic confrontation with Codexia. Their forces were arrayed on the other end of their vast domain, where they still fought a desperate holding battle against the Turanei. By some estimates, the Codexian Navy faced a mere quarter of the total Phyr naval tonnage. Employed against the Codexians, such a force might have turned the tide. But the Codexian advance was being treated as an irritation, even as it choked the life out of the Phyr Dominion. The strategists could not understand it. And still, the 'bears' fought on. With dwindling forces; outgunned, outmanoeuvred... still, they fought. Derided in some quarters, they earned the grudging respect of their human adversary - bought by endless torrents of their syrupy yellow blood, and an unmatched resolve. Their sheer force of will and their immense capacity to sacrifice lent them a sort of tragic, noble air, entirely out of whack with stereotypical portrayals of this faltering race.

It was only as the Codexians carved their way into the heartland of the Dominion that they finally began to understand. Phyr prisoners and a rising flood of refugees were all telling the same story: the Turanei were determined to end their species. A war that had previously been a jostle for territory and resources had turned very, very ugly, indeed. The Phyr had 'profaned' something very, very important to the Turanei, in their single successful raid against the latter's homesystems. And now, billions of Phyr were being immolated on a dozen worlds. The weapons of the Turanei were terrible, but it still took weeks to 'kill' a world - to sterilize it utterly. There was much suffering, before the end.

The Phyr surrendered to the Codexians a week into the eighth month of the war. It was unconditional. Their only request was simple: help them avert extinction! Or, at the very least, do not interfere in their attempt to stave off total defeat against the Turanei. Their desperation was entirely palpable.

Do you... take what you can and what you will (technologically and economically speaking), and leave the Phyr to their fate?

OR

Do you... do as above, but take in as many Phyr refugees as feasible, in case they are not lying about their battle for survival?

OR

Do you... intervene militarily against the Turanei, heroically standing up for the right of the Phyr to exist?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
D'aaaaaawwwww.... poor furry xenos.

Do we let them get purged by Turanei fire, or are we the only ones allowed to do any purging since we are the only just and righteous species in this universe? I like all three choices for various reasons.

Still... where are the Raumen in all this? I don't want to begin testing our might against the Turanei just to have the bugs backstab us. It is clear that right now we would not able to afford a war on two fronts. Not because we aren't strong enough, but because we don't have the numbers that the Raumen and the Phyr do.

Hm...

lightbane

Arcane
I say B, we can use these refugees as slaves and still take a good profit. I do not recommend to fight against supposedly powerful enemies yet, it would be better to investigate and use for ourselves the stealth technology.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That's a pretty war pic by the way.

At any rate, I don't really want to stop warring. This was too easy, Codexian rage will not be sated by such a trivial victory over weak furries.

If we pick a fight with the Raumen after this, fine, let's leave the furries to their fate. If not, why not try on the Turanei for size? We will need to at least get a glimpse of their tactics, technology and strength instead of relying on second-hand hearsay. A campaign aimed at kicking them out of Phyr territory shouldn't make them decide to depopulate us. But they are welcome to try should they get butthurt about it.

Not to mention they'll have to go through the rest of the Phyr first to get to us. :smug:

Codexia has grown soft, this war wasn't even trying, we need a tough challenge to really improve ourselves. Let's go get our worlds burned, guys!

C. Fight the Turanei. Codexian justice is the only judgment that decides whether or not a race is worthy to exist.

edit: Imagine how this would make us look in the eyes of the Phyr, my brethren. In one wing we raise up the storms of destruction, in the other wing we fold up a shield of salvation. Dispensing justice and death to our enemies and friends alike, akin to gods.

:rpgnazi:

Angthoron

Arcane
I say we fight! A fight for territory is one thing, an annihilation of an entire sentient race is another altogether! It is time to end our inaction, Councillors. We the Codexians are righteous folk, and we will not tolerate some scaly scum wiping out worlds! If the other races choose not to ally with us in this honorable war, then we spit on them and their cowardice!

To war, brothers and sisters! To war!

Option C - intervention

Cenobyte

Prophet
I vote for B)

We should legitimate our war both to our own public and the other galactical civilizations by showing our glorious culture, mercy and honour. We are not conquerors, but the saviours of diversity! :lol:

Since the Phyrries doesn't seem to hate us too much, we could integrate them as a lower class into society and profit from their tech and workforce.

Nonetheless, I guess admiral Treave has a point, so we should send raider parties into the Turanei territory and let them advance at their own will. They should operate independently and with limited or no support by our regular troops, so that no connection between the raiders and our official military can be established. If the Turanei appeal to our diplomatic service, we will argue that those parties are mere pirates and Codexia cannot take any responsibility for them. If the parties get a good opportunity, they should forge an incident that will allow us to officially and legitimately declare war on the Turanei.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cenobyte said:
We should legitimate our war both to our own public and the other galactical civilizations by showing our glorious culture, mercy and honour. We are not conquerors, but the Warriors of Diversity! :lol:

Corrected.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
What's coming up:

Codex Entry: Phyr

->

Codex Entry: State of the Union

->

Update

->

Codex Entry: C. Everyman

There might be an additional update between the two fluff entries - but the Barbarian will give this update a bit of time for consideration amongst the voting public.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suggest, for the really serious and thoughtful councillors, to wait for the State of the Union before deciding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom