Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

anus_pounder

Arcane
With our luck, we probably made a mistake. But w/e, C&C and all that.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nah. the Commies are licking their wounds from losing a major world. They dont have energy or intent for a foreign military adventure.

Anyway, I dont like lower the strength of humanity as a whole. There's a whole universe out there that a fully unified humankind couldnt even make a serious bite out of it, the divided and weakened one can only dream.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Costs, Benefits, Opportunities

The Battle of Neumann: A Theme

The battle of Neumann itself was bad enough. Three hundred human vessels jumped into that accursed system, and found themselves facing well over one hundred and fifty Hin'in warships, arrayed in defensive formation and waiting for the humans with open arms. The brutal melee that followed has been recounted numberless times since by survivors of the mutual slaughter. Books, vids, documentaries... Fiction and non-fiction galore: an entire industry was inspired by the bloody spectacle that took place on the very extremes of Codexian space. The news channels called it a 'victory'. They spoke of 'heroics' and 'infinite courage'. Well, there was plenty of that, too, one can suppose. Marianite strategists took one look at the casualty sheets that bought those labels and wondered if the war was now unwinnable.

Of the composite flotilla that had initially transitioned into the system, barely a hundred ships were still able to report in, three days later. The Hin'in, for their part, fared even worse - escaping Neumann with a motley collection of twenty or so space-worthy craft. It was a ghastly business. The Hin'in had fought savagely and resolutely. The analysis offered by Space intelligence officers was that a very senior Alpha had 'held court' at the site. Its powerful psionics had spurred the Hin'in to prodigious feats in combat, but it was all to prove to little avail. The lethal, yet fragile Hin'in craft had died gloriously, and had fought well. The Marianites could not begrudge them that. Neumann was triumph and disaster, brought together in a perfect symmetry. It was the height of the military art and the depth of macabre savagery, all in one. Yes, the battle of Neumann was bad enough.

Then the Raumen Uprising began, a mere month later. The Hin'in occupiers, who were apparently not moved by the recent plight of their kinfolk in human space, were taken by surprise. Where the Raumen built the vessels that now flooded the starlanes, few know. But one thing is certain: the insectoids clearly wanted their homes back. A dozen battles raged across the Raumeni territories, while the Venerable Respublica organized its defensive effort and watched. New ships were being brought into the line, new recruits were being trained, morale was high and so was confidence. Now that the Raumen had joined in the fight against the Hin'in, the everyman was convinced that the war would be 'over by Christmas'. But the psychic xenos proved once again why they were such finely adapted pack hunters. Their mobilization was sickeningly rapid and undeniably awesome.

The Raumen, who fought both gracefully and manfully, were obviously absorbing hideous losses to achieve local successes. They defeated the Hin'in several times in rapid succession in the G'ovan cluster, only to find a liberated clan world retaken by a brazen Hin'in counteroffensive. The psychics had previously ruled with 'temperance', one could say. Their iron fist was wrapped in silk, and their governance light. According to available reports, that ended rather quickly when the Raumen massacred several thousand of their administrators, state officials, officers and various other personnel, across more than a dozen worlds. The reprisals were decisive. The Uprising became a pitiless, primal struggle for dominance. Raumeni populations were decimated on a number of planets.

Of course, there was nothing inevitable about any seemingly preordained outcome. Certainly, the rapid Hin'in response and the lack of human distraction were serious obstacles to Raumeni success. Yet, the vastly more powerful psychic xeno was clearly not committing the majority of his strength to the fight. Reserves were being held back; deployments were reduced to the bare minimum. Something, somewhere, was distracting the Empire. The Marianite leadership believed that, perhaps, the Raumeni were not lying about the existence or the intention of the so-called 'Bron'. That a thousand lightyears away another conflict was enveloping contested space. Would it prove to be enough? At this stage, none could venture anything but a guess.

The Respublica, as such, was faced with some choices:

Option A:

Do you... intervene in the Raumen territories, now? Though the insects will be displeased that we adopted a wait-and-see approach, they could not help but appreciate assistance now - they need it. Our fleets are being rebuilt. Our people will us onward. Do we dare strike at the Hin'in Empire, while their vulnerability is evident?

OR

Do you... rebuild, recuperate and concentrate on retaining what the Respublica has achieved? The Commo has not intervened against the Hin'in, either. We hold a number of their territories, including Sonata and much of the border zone. What if they strike at us, while we gallivant around meddling in xeno affairs? Let us make sure we are unassailable!

Option B:

Do you... accelerate your shipbuilding programme? We need hundreds of new vessels. We NEED more recruits. We need a military that can hold its own against anyone and everyone, if need be. Our economy and the government bottom line will be meaningless if the Hin'in come back with a vengeance, and burn our worlds while we sit on piles of unspent moneys.

OR

Do you... strive to reduce the impact of the war on the economy, significantly lowering the output of war materiel and new vessels, but preserving the health of the Marianite economy? Our people have faced this choice before. We chose wrongly, then. Let us not do so again, Councilmen! The Hin'in will not come back. We have bloodied their nose without taking their honour. Our only enemy is ourselves... and the Commo. But we can beat them good and proper, without a far vaster navy.

Option C: (this option will be counted separately; please denote choice with a + (e.g. AB+B))

A: Your scientists have discovered something truly groundbreaking. By 'modulating' the laminar flow of warp slipstreams, they have managed to erect a 'forcefield' around a small object. We do not even need a true FTL drive, for the field effect. This field can take a great deal of stress, before collapsing. The applications of the invention are nearly limitless. A few years from now, our shielded, impervious fleets could carve their way across the sector, with but a little investment. Think on it, Councilmen!

OR

B: Update: Peaceful contact with the Amoneth

praetor

Arcane
sitting back is boring (and this snoozefest of a theocracy could sure use a change of pace). let's strike the iron while it's still hot

and screw new tech. let's make it more interesting and bring a new player into the fold

AA+B

Radech

Augur
AA+B, there's not much to gain in terms of territory, our goal should simply be to keep some of the hin'in fleet busy while others do the slaughter, a full commitment would need better rewards than simply restoring the raumen meatshield, and getting better rewards aka conquering raumeni territory would kinda defeat the purpose.

The reason to focus on economy is simply because i want to focus on R&D for the moment in respect to the third option, willing to flip flop to AA but i think it's overdoing it, and risking our economy just to sleep a little safer at night seems daft...

EDIT: would also prefer contacting the amoneth, but if we just discover them to call them heathens what's the point...

EDIT2: flip-flop AB isn't going anywhere and BA is... and flopped from boring tech to new frontiers out of sheer curiosity

taplonaplo

Scholar
BB+A
I rather see the theocracy shift into a different system in a les endangering way. The Raumen rebellion should buy us enough time to prepare. And until then, i'm just fine with the anti alien ideology, so screw the amoneth.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm willing to adopt a wait and see approach. If the Hi'in are fightng both Raumen and Bron, they are unlikely to do much against us. Meanwhile, the Commo represent a clear and present threat. I find it worrysome that we've antagonized both the Commies, the Hi'in and the Raumen. Now's not the time to give either party an excuse to come knocking.

On option a, my vote is to rebuild and recuperate.

In the same vein, since the Hi'in, Raumen and Bron are having their little threesome and the Commies bled hard at Sonata, I think now would be an excellent time to strenghten our economy. Our fleet is still large enough to deter aggression. A short military campaign in which we saw only victories, folowed by an economy stimulus seems like a good way to improve morale and strenghten the unity of our people.

On option b, my vote is to reduce the output of war materiel.

The bonus option is no contest. Give us force fields. The very notion that our xenophobic theocracys peaceful contact with the amoneth could last more than an hour is laughable.

My brothers, let us consolidate our forces and look inwards. Let us cleanse our own souls of our sins, and emerge stronger than ever to claim our destiny.

BB+A

BA + A

Let our enemies fight amongst themselves. We will strike them when they are at their weakest. If we keep building up our strength, we can crush the Commonwealths military so thoroughly that they will not be able to threaten us again. We need to keep the upper-hand, not let our dominance slip through our fingers like water.

Luan

Educated
BA+A

Let us focus on local matters, step by step. And don't our people pride themselves on frugality? They wear that badge proudly! Our military and gestapo are what makes us mighty!

Also, forcefields, hell yeah.

(Very nice update btw, cheers!)

laclongquan

Arcane
My fellow councilmen, councilwomen, and counciltran.

Now is a transformation period in the war against Hiin.

It's proved quite decisively, that we can win at odds of 2 to 1, and strategical surprise on our hands. Never forget that.

The long awaited Raumen rebellion has finally erupted. The Peninsula War for Napoleonic Hiin has finally happened. The Eastern Front also erupted. The seemingly undefeatable Hiin Empire, the tactical genius race has finally met its enemies on all sides. The time for us to decisively defeat them is now.

Our allies have striked but they are not enough. By themselves they will be defeated by the Hiin. That has happened before after all. And we , on the other hand, are the only race ever beat Hiin to a standstill, a stalemate. They will hamstrung the monster but we will be the lance that pierce its heart.

Now is not the time to sit still. Now is the time to raise our battle standards across the galaxy .Let everyone know the mighty Codexia's mailed fist. Let wave our hyperweapons to heaven.

Comrades! TO BATTLES~

{sotto voice to the intelligence committee: finally the crystals appear. Let's hope their gift will be better than the Phyr's}

AA+BA+CB

wjw

Augur
Lets consider all options ...

On first sight, BA/BB+A seems a power combo.
As we all know, there is little to gain in this war. The Raumen haven't proven to be usefull allies. And the Commos are an enormous threat in our back.

By going for a BA/BB+A option we could probably claim a military victory over the Commo's and hold off the Hi'in for some years/decades. Possibly weaken them. Possibly not...

Ofcourse there is also a 'joker' card. Option CB: peacefull contact with the Amonenth. There is no guarantee profit if we chose this option. Some say our xenophobia will result in negative relations... We could however embrace the Amoneth in our religion... or embrace the Amoneth religion... who knows?

Our current situation is not desperate... the Hi'in are busy with the Raumen... the Commo's do not have a military advantage over us... i prefer important knowlegde and dilplomatics over some firepower.

BB+B

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To wjw: I'm pretty sure what he means is AA+B

As to my vote, I must agree that we need to push the Hin'in. The commos will have to follow suit or be branded as cowards by their own populace. It was not us who decimated their fleet at Sonata, that was the Hin'in!

Our economy must be strong though. We'll have to make do with what we can, and not outstrip ourselves in the haste to produce more vessels.

And peaceful contact with Xenos is possible, if said xenos will embrace our religion.
I say let's initiate contact with the Amoneth.

AB+B

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Azira said:
And peaceful contact with Xenos is possible, if said xenos will embrace our religion.

Doesn't our religion stipulate that all non-huans must be purged with cleansing fire? :roll:

anus_pounder

Arcane
BB+B

Even if our fleet was at top strength, I doubt we could take whatever Hin'in the Raumani area. Best to stay back and keep an eye on the Rau situation and more importantly, the Commonwealth.

For diverting resources to economy, this is because from my PoV, as devastating as the above battle was, we're still better off than the commonwealth military wise, so we might as well improve our eco a bit.

And B because I'm sick and fed up of the same 4 parties.

laclongquan

Arcane
I will clarify my call of action:

We will intervene in the Raumen territories, now. Though the insects will be displeased that we adopted a wait-and-see approach, they could not help but appreciate assistance now - they need it. Our fleets are being rebuilt. Our people will us onward. Do we dare strike at the Hin'in Empire, while their vulnerability is evident?

Due to the demands of warfare:

We will accelerate your shipbuilding programme. We need hundreds of new vessels. We NEED more recruits. We need a military that can hold its own against anyone and everyone, if need be. Our economy and the government bottom line will be meaningless if the Hin'in come back with a vengeance, and burn our worlds while we sit on piles of unspent moneys. Dont forget that they are master of warfare and have shown ambitions of galaxy's masters.

And finally, our verylongterm efforts finally been repaid: Peaceful contact with mysterious crystal beings who once gift the Phyr with the stealth technology which we 'inherit'.

laclongquan

Arcane
Please, backstab us! It mean that the Reconquista II happen after this Hiin war will start with us having the moral high ground.

WE are itching for it and they give us the perfect excuse? I would think you all would burn incense for that.

Nickless

Educated
I'd vote for contact with the Amoneth if I thought we'd worship them as Santi Maria's angels. There's no way to tell how we'd react to them after first contact however, so I'm going to vote with consistency. Since I want us to finally do away with the god damned Hin'in and Raumen, I'm going to vote BB+A. Improve the economy whilst waiting to introduce new superior shielding technology on our ships, so we no longer need a numerical advantage on the Hin'in in the field.

obediah

Erudite
BA + A

You all wanted 40K, so live it.

We have fought off the Hin'in at a great price, and now is the time to reap the credit for saving humanity while licking our wounds and sharpening our knives.

Pressing the Hin'in without focusing our industry on war (AB) is pure folly that we have seen before. Our forces will be spread too thin and we will only be feeding the meat grinder.

While now is not the time to exterminate the Hin'in or the Raumen that day will come, allowing either to grow strong while we grow fat and weak (BB) only begs for a new desperate defensive war for our survival.

Space is not a peaceful place. Now is not the time to cozy up with new xeno scum that will only betray us in the future anyway. Only through military supremacy and conquest can we bring peace. This shield technology allows for a more efficient military that can finally reverse the centuries of human 'put enough meat into the enemies meat grinder so that it jams' combat doctrine.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Azira said:

No.
Never.

Seriously one of the pillars of our beliefs is Marianitism for Codexers only, and fuck the rest.

also

BA+A

Give me some new toys :D

The Bros and Bugs will hate us, but who cares?

If they lose, they have been ill prepared anyway, our help would not have changed much anyway.

on regards of BB: We might have taken their Honour, but what with their "other" honour?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Conkrete Knight said:

Isn't pictures of Pia Kjærsgaard pretty much like invoking Godwin's Law?

(For the non-danes in the crowd, she's a lovely little neo-nazi who pretty much has the danish PMs balls in a vice)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom