Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Conkrete Knight

Educated
herostratus said:
Fan art? This thread is complete.

No, it is not.
But I am afraid the tale of the venerable Respublica does not lend itself that much to slashfic.

The Barbarian said:
Conkrete Knight, that is beautiful. You bring a tear to Conan's eye!

And here I thought the only tears Conan was capable of were tears of ra...

OH SHIT *runs*

The Barbarian

Liturgist
B - treave
B - anus_pounder
B - Radech
A - Azira
B - Bethesda Love
B - herostratus
A - Ulminati
B - Nickless
B - laclongquan
A - praetor
B - taplonaplo
A - Luan
B - Undead Phoenix
B - Conkrete Knight
A - juggernaut
B - Sergiu64
B - Dark Underlord
B - wjw
A - obediah
A - root
B - meeneque
A - Mikayel

Winner - B

Update is forthcoming.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The update is still forthcoming, but here is the requested map:

codexianaproper.png

Please note:

- The crossed swords denote the current conflict zones
- There has to be an easier way to draw star maps. That was a torrid time.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, I had no idea the Phyr expanse was that big. May have been a waste to have let the Turanei burn it all.

obediah

Erudite
Even accounting for the missing third dimension, from that map the masses of warships we are waiting on for reinforcements must be in or closer to Commo space than the combat zones in our space. I would have liked to have seen option C) Play cat and mouse with the invading commos, while our border fleets converge and go a bit out of the way to cut a swatch through the commo shipyards and supply depot and bombard the hell out of their capitol planet.

Hm, I had no idea the Phyr expanse was that big. May have been a waste to have let the Turanei burn it all.
It was much bigger than I had imagined as well.

But in cases like this, remember that on our very own Earth, Kazakhstan is bigger than all of western Europe. And yet anyone would agree that Europe has loads more content, both culturally, economically and militarily and in any other way.

What I mean to say is that size in itself does nothing, you need skilled people (or aliens) to utilize all the resources. Power lies in people and in institutions, not in size.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
herostratus said:

But in cases like this, remember that on our very own Earth, Kazakhstan is bigger than all of western Europe. And yet anyone would agree that Europe has loads more content, both culturally, economically and militarily and in any other way.

What I mean to say is that size in itself does nothing, you need skilled people (or aliens) to utilize all the resources. Power lies in people and in institutions, not in size.

That, and the fact that the Phyr breed like rabbits.
Makes sense that they would spread out faster, but from what we have seen, in terms of value a single human will be worth several Phyr.

This makes me really happy that we did not get involved in that war, if the Turanei could rape the Phyrries that hard, despite the difference in size...

On an unrelated note: We might want to keep an eye on the "dead zone", a lot of Phyrries are currently trying to turn it into a "living zone" again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
herostratus said:

I was thinking more along the lines of valuable resources being lost in the Turanei sterilization, but I guess since they don't have planet vaporizers the mineral resources should still be intact. At any rate that big an area is a prime spot for mining opportunities. The Commo and the Raumen are expanding into the area, right?

Also, obediah raises a good point.

We do not seem to share a border with the Raumen on that map, so I assume our fleet is either in Commo space or just to the left of that leftwards most conflict zone. Either way they don't have to travel too far before they get to have a fight.

Murk

Arcane
Well, I guess that map makes it look slightly less like a terrible idea to just wait on reinforcements while massing all our ships together (despite being outnumbered three times).

Can't say I like where this is going tho.

praetor

Arcane
root said:
we should ally ourselves with the hin'in, crush the commonwealth and the raumen, divide our annexed territories, and then ally ourselves with the bron and crush the hin'in.

that's pretty much exactly (except for the bron part, of course) what i suggested so many moons ago when this was still possible but, again, nobody was listening :decline:

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
We should have allied ourselves with the Raumeni when we were still not a Warhammer parody and went for cultural/technological victory.
I just cant let it go... =(

edit

I am sorry that I spoiled your 100th page update... =(
DorkOverload, pls delete some of my posts!

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Cold Delivery

The Marianites and the Commos were like two weathered old boxers from a nearly forgotten era. Wary, constantly circling, they kept their distance, waiting for that illusive opening. Rapid, staccato jabs intermittently punctuated this deadly ballet, keeping both gladiators honest. The Marianites had loaded up a killer right hook in the form of their massed fleet, while their misguided brethren kept up relentless pressure, swarming their opponent, striking from every angle; gangly, awkward and unpredictable. The Respublican ducked, dodged and weaved, in response. Unwilling to commit to a rash counter, he kept up his stolid guard, absorbing shots all the while. Sadly, the opportunity for the knockout blow never came. The Commonwealth armada continued to advance across a broad front throughout June. As the Marianites concentrated their forces, their resistance to that advance actually slackened across the strategic theatre.

The cumbersome one hundred vessel fleet moved to counter the largest groupings of Commo vessels, and was singularly successful in wiping out several taskforces at minimal cost. The Battles of Teegarden and Caynan were instructive in the value of the newfangled shielding systems, and their tactical utility. There were few Commo survivors from either clash. But, all in all, the troublesome heathens did not take the bait. They refused to accept the set piece battle so graciously offered by the valiant Respublicans. Instead of confronting the mustered Commo fleet, they dispersed their forces even further. Individual squadrons raided targets of opportunity with near impunity, unimpeded by the badly denuded and poorly deployed Marianite defensive forces. The Respublican admiralty was dumbstruck. This enemy did not seem to want to occupy territory. They attacked industry, infrastructure, economic and logistical arteries, in turn. Serious resistance was bypassed. Strategic analysis suggested that the overall aim seemed to be to hamstring the Marianite state’s war-making capacity.

Vicious bombing raids on individual worlds left thousands dead. The Commos did not mind a little inaccuracy, if it meant that they could hit their targets in a timely manner. Factories, refineries, shipyards, supply depots; all were subjected to the tender attention of Commo warships. By early July, when the main body of the Respublica’s Space forces finally began streaming back into Marianite space, the damage was heavy, indeed. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands, were dead. The people of the Respublica bayed for vengeance, but frustration continued to mount. It was only around mid-July that the Commo offensive finally ran out of stream. The supply tugs that had accompanied the various raiding groups on sorties finally expended the last of their fuel and materiel reserves. Quite literally, the Commos stopped in their tracks - but not before the reserve grouping of fifty AFC vessels that had hitherto been suspiciously absent from the fighting burst on to the scene. Sadly for the Venerable Respublica, they did so in the Marianite home system, having leapfrogged their way there.

The ongoing disaster was now nearly complete. This small flotilla smashed its way past the paltry defensive network present, settling into a low orbit around Codexia. An initial terror bombardment followed, hitting multiple Land force facilities and some civilian infrastructure. After a few hours, the ultimatum was delivered by public broadcast: ‘Surrender, or suffer.’ It was a terse statement of intent. But one that induced panic, generally. The Commonwealth wanted the Marianites to surrender unconditionally; to capitulate without reserve. Unfortunately, the relief forces were too late - the barbarians were inside the gates. And they were threatening to burn down the city, if the defenders did not lay down their arms. The bulk of the Marianite fleet was now just a few days away. Given the chance, they could turn the far smaller Commo fleet to ashes and scattered junk in a matter of hours. But the Marianite leadership faced a grim choice. If they attempted to grind the Commo forces to dust, the retribution would be savage... and sustained. A vast arsenal of nuclear weapons and other strategic devices loomed large over the homeworld. Were the Marianites ready to accept the sacrifice required for victory?

Do you... lay down your arms? We bear a responsibility for millions. If we do not capitulate, our people will pay the price. Our world will pay the price of our vanity. Let us take our revenge later, whatever the terms of the surrender.

OR

Do you... crush this scum? If they bombard our homeworld, they had best be ready for the revenge that we will unleash upon them. The Maker will be their judge and ours.

OR

Do you... neither crush them nor capitulate? Let us not force their hand. Every day that passes is another day for us to gather our strength. Their supplies are almost gone. If they begin the bombardment, we can intervene, in any case. If they are bluffing, we will know soon enough.

Voting is open for the next 72 hours. Conan wishes to update on Sunday.

God dammit, I shouldn't have flip flopped to B...

Anyways, this is a nice time to realize the error of our ways. This experiment in WH40k fan fiction has been an exiting one, but in the end religious rule brings stagnation and decay - it can be good for temporary unification and expansion, but in the long run we all lose on it. If the government is forced to surrender it will probably be an impetus for much needed social change, maybe even annexation into the commonwealth - that way we can become like we were before, a progressive industrial nation.

I realize this is not the perfect solution, but just look at the alternatives: If we choose B, not only our own planets will be devastated, but also theirs. Even if we come out as the top dog, we will be set back into the stone age, and we will take the same role in the Galaxy as the Phyr, only without the vast resources... Even the smallest hin'in pack could smash us into submission then. Even if they lose, one of the Raumen clans that feels wronged by us could easily demand reparations with some good ol' gunboat diplomacy.

What is at stake here is the survival of humanity as an intergalactic civilization. Do not take this lightly.

Edit:
I vote for A, obviously.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just as I expected. Sun Tzu had it right all along.

Flopping belly-up now would serve no purpose. Nor would angry denial. The only real option here is delay.

We'll suffer, no doubt about that. But the fault is our own. Call their bluff. If they're willing to atomize fellow humans (religious nuts or not), their backing in the home colonies is sure to wane, as their populace will be sure to know what kind of retribution we will bring.

Option C

taplonaplo

Scholar
B.
The whole sector is in ruins... we will have time to rebuild. The commonwealth on the other hand they just won't be anymore.
BTW, i'm not sure if the other option would have better result either. It's possible that the barbarian wanted to offer a chance to reboot, as some of us aren't exactly happy with the form of the state. But a nuked homeworld can help in that transition too.

Call their bluff.
I don't think they're bluffing. They regard us as an existential threat, remember, and they have grown up with the Marianites as the looming, evil shadow, just like some people thought of the Soviet Union.

Radech

Augur
doubt A would have been any better in the previous choice, if anything it would have made us even weaker against the blitzkrieg tactics they chose to employ. At least we managed to inflict some heavy casualties on their part.

I haven't decided on what to vote on this, C seems superior in propaganda terms, but we are kinda beyond that. A might cause us to switch sides, but will definitely not reunite codexia, we've bred a nation of religious fanatics, they're not exactly the surrendering kind. B is locally catastrophic, but on a larger scale seems more beneficial to the respublica.

ps. seems the hin'in are in on this, why would they choose to weaken our production and logistics, if their ultimate goal was an attempt at a swift takeover

edit: how far is our small fleet from commo territory?, in case of C a counterstrike could weaken their resolve, a sort of mutual ballgrab

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
B.

They're not bluffing. The idiots who disregarded Sun Tzus advice brought this upon us, and I can only hope they are on fair Codexia as it burns. In turn, our people will be more than willing to set the entirety of the commonwealth ablaze. Once their fleet is gone, I see no reason we shouldn't irradiate every planet in commonwealth space in return.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
edit: how far is our small fleet from commo territory?, in case of C a counterstrike could weaken their resolve, a sort of mutual ballgrab

Let the Barbarian put it this way:

The Commonwealth is outmatched in a stand-up fight. The Commos have taken this step because they seem to earnestly believe that their manhood is already in the vice, and the pivots are turning.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Let no one threaten us.

They actually believe that Marianites, true Marianites, fear the Holy Flame.

Ha. Ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Let us laugh at these misguided apostates. A true believer doth not fear the fires of purgation.

Our faith shall be our salvation.

Of course, not before we let their people know the terrors their leaders have wreaked upon a peaceful people of religion. That they threatened CODEXIA. Our homeworld. Their homeworld. The very cradle of our civilization.

C. Wait, then crush the infidel scum.

I see no reason to be provoked into an attack. We do have plenty of time to crush them if they bombard without provocation. Remember, the Commonwealth shot first. Let this be so right until the end of this altercation.

Ulminati said:
Once their fleet is gone, I see no reason we shouldn't irradiate every planet in commonwealth space in return.

Because it will be a bountiful yield of slaves... I mean, converts, and resources.

Also, I can't believe some of us want to be annexed by the Commonwealth. The same bunch of traitorous bastards who unilaterally backstabbed us multiple times before and since their formation. They never even came to the negotiating table once.

Luan

Educated
IMBECILES!

Thousands of years of wisdom wring true for thousands of years for a reason!

B! Stay true to your choices for a fanatic, devoted populace and mighty military. We do not f7 reload after trivial bad rolls! We see it through to end like men, not like xenos or xeno loving scum!

They will burn, they will all burn!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom