Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Conkrete Knight

Educated
C

Because I am curious if they would fall so deep by themselves.

obediah

Erudite
Looks like the btards screwed us royally on that one.

And it looks like they will do it again. Is there any benefit to choosing B over C? If I understand the options correctly, the worst-case scenario of C is identical to the best-case scenario of B.

Vote: C

Murk

Arcane
obediah said:
Looks like the btards screwed us royally on that one.

And it looks like they will do it again. Is there any benefit to choosing B over C? If I understand the options correctly, the worst-case scenario of C is identical to the best-case scenario of B.

Vote: C

There are voices of reason on this council, and obediah is definitely one of them. I also concur with C - as it gives us the most options and allows us to respond accordingly.

May I suggest something to my fellow councilors? If you find yourself, in the past, having made a vote of one type only to then react to the consequences with a "i did not see that coming" - that then perhaps you should refrain from voting so hastily and unreadily?

Had our fleet spread out and simply occupied time we would have had better defenses than just a single big punch to throw up against an enemy that outnumbered us (even if they were weaker in absolute 1:1 comparisons).

Regardless, I vote C

For fear of A being one of those "game over" situations and B simply being stupid.

---------------

Looks like B is outnumbering C so far 9:6, with only 1 vote for A.

I seriously hope the other people voting have some sense and don't try to fight an armed opponent who has us by the throat by SPITTING IN THEIR FACE. This isn't a bar fight, this is a whole regime on the stake. Also, I would like to ask those voting A to reconsider and vote C instead.

Then again, I wouldn't really mind this stupid theocracy shit going down in flames...

praetor

Arcane
root said:
And now that we have finally unified our people under one banner, one ideal, one faith, even one repugnant to you, councillors, you would choose to let this die so we can go back to the old ways which landed us in this mess in the first place?

it wasn't "the old ways" that led to this mess, but shitty decision making (mainly from you and your "lackeys"... i'm not trying to flame or troll, i'm just reminding you that that embarrassing "#-point plan", or whatever it was called, that you lot so masterfully devised on IRC was the turning point, the nadir of codexia, if you will. just sayin')

taplonaplo

Scholar
You can blame all you want, but there always will be a but if we had done that instead...

Yeah C might yield the same result as B or may lead up to a peaceful solution that i_do_not_want. We played nice up till this point, now it's time to actually perish some heathen scum. Cannot imagine a better drive (for the general public that is, which is something not to be ignored based on past events) than a destroyed homeworld really.

praetor

Arcane
root said:
and probably were all for a starfaring trading civilization from the very start instead of going into war with other races and oh snap

yeah right

there were some of us (me included and a couple of others before we flip-flopped to mercantile) for a MILITARY oligarchy exactly because everyone wanted to go to war and conquer shit whenever the opportunity presented itself (but yeah, way too many weak minded consoletards that wanted a pussy mercantile society :decline: ). and if it weren't for WH i seriously doubt the "autocratic theocracy" would've got even a tenth of the votes

p.s.: yes, that's exactly the kind of shitty decision making that i was talking about :smug:

Murk

Arcane
The religious thing might have worked out if not for people turning it into a 40k fagathon. Barbarian has been pretty good about putting a solid twist on events so far and the councilors just went Herp then followed it up with a Derp in regards to his creativity.

Perhaps if we tried to make it a unique or interesting theocracy it might have worked out.

Anyway, shit's on the table now and I still urge people to vote C. If we buy some time the Commo might turn tail at the thought of putting up with the primary Codexian fleet.

laclongquan

Arcane
The key thing here is Marianite religious structure. Would they be concentrated on a nice shiny target like Codexia (ala Vatican) or spread across the territory (archbishop in each system).

If they are concentrated, again, Codexia planet is the key. Unconditional surrender will decapacitate the structure and let a new regime grow up. Total bombing will lead to unpredictable results.

If they are scattered, again, Codexia is the key. Smash it and a battle royale among all the rest for the successor state will weaken humanity as a whole. Control it and apply changes and just maybe we have something good coming from it.

Delay? Why on earth would Commo let you play the delay card? Their taskforces are nearly destroyed, their only hope lie on the squadron holding Codexia hostage, their biggest threats are all big fleets far from central area. Why would you let the fleets come close? It make totally no sense. Dont put your hope on this tactic.

So, I got my decision already but I want Conan's clarification on the current stage of Marianite regime.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Would you let your mother be raped horribly in all orifices by multi-dicked monsters who will strangle her to death at the same time with their veined appendages, or would you rather give her a quick death?

It is probably better that Codexianity dies its death in the stars than to be twisted and folded into the decadent rapists that are the Commonwealth.

Only people who hate their mothers would surrender.

laclongquan

Arcane
You are talking about the mothers of trilion of humans here. I will thank you to keep your hands, your dicks (or vaginas, as it were, since it's possible to rape a man), and your suicidal decisions to yourself and your men alone.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
If they are concentrated, again, Codexia planet is the key. Unconditional surrender will decapacitate the structure and let a new regime grow up. Total bombing will lead to unpredictable results.

If they are scattered, again, Codexia is the key. Smash it and a battle royale among all the rest for the successor state will weaken humanity as a whole. Control it and apply changes and just maybe we have something good coming from it.

You may assume that the regime is fairly entrenched across most of the Respublica's space. They have had half a century to become a pervasive presence in Marianite space. Though the central body of the regime IS on Codexia, it is difficult to cleanly assess the effect that the destruction thereof would have on the system as a whole.

obediah

Erudite
laclongquan said:
Delay? Why on earth would Commo let you play the delay card? Their taskforces are nearly destroyed, their only hope lie on the squadron holding Codexia hostage, their biggest threats are all big fleets far from central area. Why would you let the fleets come close? It make totally no sense. Dont put your hope on this tactic.

It's about intelligence, not hope. Something this council clearly lacks, as evident by the mighty-midget fleet tactic.

I don't expect the Commo to delay, and if they don't then we are in the same situation as choosing B. However for every minute they might delay, that is one minute less of attack and bombardment we must endure before reinforcements arrive. Why throw that chance away, no matter how slim, to buy absolutely nothing?

The only reason I've heard so far for B over C is from taplonaplo that somehow not firing right now will lead to Conan forcing us into peace with the Commo, and I don't see Conan taking such a large decision from us.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You know, I didn't realise the option of assembling our forces into a fleet equated to leaving the homeworld entirely undefended. Somebody in high command might want to look at that in future and maybe keep that in mind.

As for surrendering... To what? A handful of remaining ships from a crushed enemy who has no other choice but to die? We would be the laughing stock of SPACE. Space would not be amused when Codexia cannot into it.

There are only two tangible options therefore remaining, a final resolute ball grab or a "wait-and-see" with possible ball-grab.

Brothers! Let us not force their hand by declaring so hastily that we would destroy them. Let us play the cat and mouse game they played with us and remain consistent with the diplomatic game we have played with our Commonwealth Brothers. We will not capitulate, nor should we crush our fellow Brothers who are yet to see our way. The Commonwealth stands at its fall. We have loved our Brothers until this point. Let us once again show them our compassion and love and say to them that we will not destroy them - but instead look for them to join us once and for all and to consolidate the gloriousness of the Respublica across the human worlds.

If they are bluffing, then our retribution shall be swift and terrible and the Commonwealth will find no place in this Universe to hide from our wrath.

We know this.

And they know this.

There is no need to crush them now as they are already crushed. This is one last desperate attempt to sway the tide, one last gambit meant to test our resolve. Let our resolve not falter.

Let us instead put theirs to the test.

Option C

It is not the end of the Respublica that is up for consideration, but the end of the Commonwealth. This is the last act of a desperate and faltering leadership. Let us not hold that against our Human Brothers on other worlds. Let us open our arms to them and welcome them into the bosom of whatever-the-fuck-it-is-we-worship. It is their false leadership, their false Commonwealth that must pay the price - not the men and women of their worlds.

Should our homeworld fall, our fleet is still the more powerful and would crush the Commonwealth fleet in but a second. The Commonwealth Leaders know this. Should they act, they know that we will have no recourse but to respond. And that our response shall be swift and crushing.

If they can fly so haplessly through our defenses, then it is clear that we can do the same to theirs.

No good would come of this.

Two fleets dancing, with the Commonwealth trying to avoid ours at all costs, while ours systematically crushes all Commonwealth worlds in its path?

This is not an outcome we want. Those worlds have our Human Brothers on them. Brothers who are in need of salvation. And salvation that only the Respublica can bring.

This is the end of our grand strategy. This is the culmination of plans set in motion many moons earlier. Let us show them our capacity for love one final time. Let us welcome a Commonwealth stand down and offer them the chance to surrender, for their Brothers and Ours to join hands once and for all and for Marianite Leadership to be accepted across all human worlds.

The Commonwealth offensive has run out of steam. They know this act would not only be their final puff, but the end of them as well.

We call their bluff. And if they are not bluffing, then they will feel the consequences in their man jewels.

Luan

Educated
DarkUnderlord said:
We have loved our Brothers until this point. Let us once again show them our compassion and love and say to them that we will not destroy them - but instead look for them to join us once and for all and to consolidate the gloriousness of the Respublica across the human worlds.

Even if the commonwealth leadership were to surrender, accepting it and welcoming them as brothers into our arms sounds like a disastrous mistake that we've repeated multiple times in Codexia's history. It is contradictory to what the system in place has already entrenched. The barbarian has warned us of this before.

We've already borne witness to the calamity of what an aggressive and jarring "5-point plan" can do when cutting against the grain of a multi centennial dynasty.

No councilor, acceptance and compassion in this case is folly. Our people cry for blood. Our honor demands it. Mother Maria would expect no less. The heathens are no children of hers. A torrential storm of annihilation will ravage commonwealth space. Their worlds will cry rivers of red. Swift destruction, will be our mercy.

wjw

Augur
C

The moral choice is theirs to make.

If they leave peacefully, we can negotiate a peacefull annexation.
If they launch the nukes... we could enslave them, or whatever.

Dont blame past mistakes... if the Barbarian wants us to suffer... suffer we will. Nice work though, the Commo's keep on suprising me.

laclongquan

Arcane
One century, huh? In view of economies and politics, it's a long time. In view of religious aspect, it's actually in infancy. One C is nothing, and the pervasiveness you speak of is just skin-deep.

I want to muse upon one old tale. IT's about a small country in a small peninsula in an ancient planet far far away. The old religion Christianity although very strong in other richer nations, would have just spread across this nation openly for one hundred years. Oh, their missionary works start way earlier but always in secret since their priests got the annoying habit to muck in politics. This poor country got defeated and in foreign yoke and that is when Christianity started operating openly. One hundred years passed, a thirty years war (and two foreign enemies defeated) later, they still dont make large headway into this poor nation's spiritual environment. Churchs were everywhere but their teachings and priests just didnt get the same reverance the older more entrenched and peaceful native religions got.

That said, I dont believe Marianite religion is so deeprooted. Churchs are everywhere, of course. Priests are revered, on the surface, of course. People spouting dogma and quotations, of course.

But a major defeat in Codexia, either by orbital strikes or unconditional surrender, and that veneer shall be stripped.

My one and foremost strategic goal is to keep a strong and dominating humandkind. But the second and closing strategic goal is to get rid of this theological tyranny. It's absurb, it's stifling, and it's devisive. It's just not good for military, for technology, or for economy.

And we shall not make martyr by letting the major Marianite religious figures die in a decapacitating orbital bombing storm.

Total surrender got the vote.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

taplonaplo

Scholar
Luan said:
Even if the commonwealth leadership were to surrender, accepting it and welcoming them as brothers into our arms sounds like a disastrous mistake that we've repeated multiple times in Codexia's history. It is contradictory to what the system in place has already entrenched. The barbarian has warned us of this before.
This. I'm not afraid of the Barbarian making decision instead of us (altho i still find it plot convenient that we left no significant force behind), i'm afraid of people opting for "unification". At least i will know what outcome to expect on the next round which will probably be about what to do with the Commos, as they seem to lose this war no matter what.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Since people are playing the blame game, I'll just point out that the worsening of relations can be directly attributed to our actions during the battle for Sonata, where our military leaders ignored Commonwealth pleas for help, to fight together with them, in favour of taking the easy route to victory.

Any hope of peaceful reconciliation ended there. The shield tech was just the final nail in the coffin.

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Rule of thumb: Whenever Laclongquan has had his way, the result has been disastrous for Codexia. I just had my faith in option B solidified :thumbsup:

Murk

Arcane
My math skills may be wrong but I think we are tied 10:10 for C and B (I did not count anyone who did not explicitly state a Letter-Choice).

THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE VOTING A -- SWITCH TO C, THERE ARE NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH VOTES FOR A TO EVEN CONSIDER IT A POSSIBILITY

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom