Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codexian Saga LP

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by The Barbarian, May 8, 2010.

1. Luan Educated

Luan
    I think you misjudge the respublican common man. Remember, this is a society that glorifies frugality, struggle, and strife. It has been rock solid since its inception.

In all honestly, I believe that they would willingly die for their faith. To think that an uprising would occur just seems... a little ignorant of the facts so far. I believe respublican resolve to purge the heathens will heighten due to recent events.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    So there is no difference between the Respublica voluntarily sacrificing Codexia, and the Commonwealth destroying Codexia against the Respublica's wishes?

Ah, then so be it.

^ Top  
  3. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Meh. At this point, I'm fairly certain the commonwealth are Hi'in puppets anyway. It seems like every time we're about to go on the offensive against the Hi'in, the commies show up and get in the way. Let the world burn, I say. As long as we can fuel the righteous fury of the people into eradicating the commonwealth. Spare no-one. Not even the trannies.

^ Top  
  4. obediah Erudite

obediah
    People remember how a battle ends, not how it begins. Some fat nerd alien 50,000 years from now is going to have a 2" boner for knowing that Captain Fuckwit fired the first shot, but everyone else just cares about how much of our planet is left at the end of the battle. Surrender is not an option, so vote C.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm ahead of you there, old chap.

^ Top  
  6. Conkrete Knight Educated

Conkrete Knight
    Seriously Root, if you want a reason for why B is better:
    C gives not only us time, but also the commos.
    Who knows what mischief they are up to.
    Maybe they are charging their lazers of doom right now!

Still think that it is unlikely, but it is a possibility, however slim it may be.

Another reason:
    Maybe we can kill them of before they get the order to fire.
    I mean who would want to make a decision like that by himself?
    Maybe the commanding officer chickens out.

Of course I do not think they will chicken out.

C however is also a polite offer for them only to get their ballsack squeezed, instead of forcing us to ripp it of with our teeth.

Which we are going to do if they bomb our homeplanet.

Really, common decency.

^ Top  
  7. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Pleeeeeeeeeze!

You are the loudmouths who always trumpet your intention of uniting humanity under the battle standards, with bloods and inquisition court. Thank to you the Commonwealth know EXACTLY what await them if our strength ever become decisive. Dont deny it.

And this shield shit is the decisive factor. Not enough to conquer the known universe, no, but enough to conquer Commo outright. This fucking outcome is what I predicted but I dare NOT saying out loud for fear of feeding the hungry wolves. You think just for shit and giggles, okay, for curiousity that my faction propose contact with the crystal? Hah!

And now when the house burnt down on your head you start pointing finger. I point it right back at you, bigoted zealot motherfuckers you!

EDIT: and bet you half an inflated credit the commo squadron will burn downt Codexia right goddamn now. Fact is they are the last gasp of Commonwealth. Their only hope for survival is that you zealots will be so busy infighting they will have a breathing period. you think your precious paladins, your idiot archbishops , your blind inquisitors will have the gumption to grit the teeths and elect a new government? Dream the fuck on! With Codexia burnt another War of Succession will break out among Codexia system and nothing can stop Hiin invasion fleets. This fucking strategy got the terrified thoughts of Commo alright, but also the ever so slightly sour smell of mindraped advisors. We are fucked unless the government will surrender NOW NOW NOW! without the fighting strength intact, the chain of command undisturbed, and the solid base of support of humanity we are fucked.

^ Top  
  8. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    We're a xenophobic ultra-religious society who believe Humans are the superior species in space. How would meeting an alien race - that our beliefs say should be exterminated on site with fire from the heavens - possibly have been better?

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    More lulzy.

They didn't show themselves when Codexia was a multikult liberal utopia. There'd probably have been some interesting reason if they chose to show themselves to a Codexian that was far less welcoming of aliens.

^ Top  
  10. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Whoever said them showing their own selves? Our alien search government programs are still active and that was when they need a little more funding to interpret the faint and mistarious signs they gathered. But those funding got poured into shield shit. Shrug!

^ Top  
  11. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    whens the next update ? :3

^ Top  
  12. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected

^ Top  
  13. taplonaplo Scholar

taplonaplo
    I'll employ my new voting tactic on the next update:
    1. Wait for the Barbarian to update (not reading it).
    2. Wait for laclongquan to post his ideas
    3. Vote the opposite
    4. Read update and: Prosper!
    Somehow, i think it'll be the same as i would have voted anyway...

^ Top  
  14. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    I formally submit a request to the Barbarian to have level scaling in his next game, or at least put the difficulty at easy. Your games are too hardcore for the average codexer.

^ Top  
  15. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    So help me, if you request streamlining I'll carve your spleen out with a rusty fork.

^ Top  
  16. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    Voting:

A - herostratus
    C - Azira
    B - taplonaplo
    B - Bethesda Love
    B - Ulminati
    B - praetor
    B - AndhairaX (the Barbarian is honored)
    C - treave
    B - Luan
    C - Conkrete Knight
    B - anus_pounder
    B - Sergiu64
    C - obediah
    C - meeneque
    B - root
    C - Mikayel
    C - Nickless
    C - DarkUnderlord
    C - The Brazilian Slaughter
    C - wjw
    A - laclongquan
    C - juggernaut

A = 2
    B = 9
    C = 11 Winner

Update forthcoming.

^ Top  
  17. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    Errant Hope

When the orders first came down, they were greeted with incredulity. Many of the officers and enlisted men crewing the Respublica's warships had families on Codexia - and they were simply to wait and see if the Commos would burn all they cared about to a cinder? Desperate times required action! As the crisis developed, a few ugly incidents of unrest were reported and put under control. Other personnel expressed the view that, perhaps, surrender was preferable to the death of millions, if not billions. After all, who would indict the Respublica for reneging on a capitulation made under this sort of duress? They, too, were silenced. In the end, the government's instructions were carried out to the letter. Space was let the Commonwealth make the first move, and wait they did. The AFC flotilla, naturally, did not make it easy for them.

Unity City was the first to be hit. Kinetic weapons were used to flatten a number of fixed structures. Among them was the Chamber of Commerce and the Ministry of Defence. Though the casualties reported were few in number, the psychological shock was severe. The Respublican government was stretched thin, as millions of people fled the major cities, making for the open countryside and small settlements that were less likely to be subjected to bombardment. Law and order were tested to the limits as individuals and small groups took advantage of the difficult situation. Robbery, murder and rapine shot up, as the normally stringent Marianite authorities were forced to carefully allocate the resources available to them. When rioters attacked the Central Complex of the Marianite Authority, however, harsh measures were imposed, in order to keep the peace. Within a week, ten thousand 'irrevocably immoral individuals' (the so called Tri-is) were executed and strung up in public spaces.

The General Staff of the Respublica, in the meantime, gnashed its teeth. The Commos seemed determined to escalate the situation very slowly, indeed, imposing a gradual sort of 'punishing pressure' on the recalcitrant Marianites for refusing to give in to their ultimatum. The bombing of Unity City was followed by the systematic annihilation of every major Land and Space force facility on the planet. But there was still no general bombardment. Instead, Codexia was being pulverized in small, easy steps. The death toll climbed to thirty thousand within two weeks. And still the massed Space forces waited, just outside of the Commo occupied zone around the homeworld. Obviously, the earlier muttering over the best way to approach the crisis could only grow, under these circumstances. Soon, it was at a fever pitch. In several cases, outright mutiny was only prevented by the quick thinking and moral fortitude of the flag officers attendant. Would-be-villains were quickly shown the methods by which the Respublica dealt with traitors to the cause.

The penny finally dropped in mid-August. The Commos, nearly completely out of consumables (there was no truce in place while this situation developed; almost the entirety of the Commo invasion force was either destroyed or chased out of Respublican space, in the interim) instituted a deadline for general bombardment. As the week slowly passed, they increased the intensity of their targeted bombardments. Even if the crisis could be resolved without any further bloodshed, Codexia would require decades of redevelopment. It was of scant comfort to the huddled masses that the highest tiers of government were safely sheltered almost nine hundred meters underground, in the biggest and most elaborate hardened complex ever devised by mankind. As the deadline approached perilously close, the iron discipline of the Marianites did not waver. It was to be the Commos that would blink first.

At 1730 hours on 16 August 357AU, Commandant General Giovanni Price of the AFC broadcast a surrender message on all bands from the Ascot Vale, his flagship. It outlined that the Commonwealth government had instructed its invading forces to inflict defeat upon their Marianite brothers to guarantee the future security of the Commo state - but not at the expense of their humanity or the occurrence of what would be an infamous act of genocide. Finally recognising that the Marianites would not surrender under threat of annihilation, the Commonwealth was forced to acknowledge its own defeat. Space forces thereafter cautiously advanced against the spent Commo flotilla. True enough to their word, they kept their guns and electronic suites silent, as they were overtaken by the Respublican vessels. The ships in orbit around Codexia were swiftly captured by Marianite rapid ingress teams, which reported no resistance from their weak and malnourished crews. In several instances, a form of frontier justice was evidenced by the immediate executions of a number of the highest ranking Commonwealth officers present. These ad hoc war crimes tribunals were halted immediately, though punishment for the offending individuals seemed half-hearted, at best. A hundred thousand dead on Codexia could be directly attributed to the lengthy bombardment campaign and its indirect effects. It was all that Marianite authorities could do, simply preventing the large-scale slaughter of the prisoners of war from the flotilla.

The outstanding issue, however, was clear enough.

What now?

Do you... re-absorb the Commonwealth forcefully and wholly? Those animals can hardly complain, after what they just put us through. Now that we have broken their resolve, let us break their spirit, too. Only then can we reforge it anew, in the Marianite form. We must expunge their sickness. Liquidate their leadership, their intellectual elite and anyone else who could resist what our faith demands we make of them. Let us be swift, thorough and merciless. Our people demand justice. Maria demands piety.

OR

Do you... re-absorb the Commonwealth, but rule with a light touch? They have been our enemy for decades, but they were our brothers for millennia. These misguided fools must be made to understand the error of their ways. Let us not show how cruel we can be. Instead, let us show them that which they do not expect at all: mercy. Marianism is strong enough to spread and flower amongst them without imposition. We will defeat the idea of the Commonwealth by proving its basic tenets wrong.

^ Top  
  18. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Oh, now I see the difference between B and C! :)

Vote: A

I'd pick B in a bioware game, but the galactic shit hole we've built will demand A and we need to give it to them to stay in power.

^ Top  
  19. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    I formally request the option to systematically burn every commonwealth world to cinders. Failing an option C that will satisfy my urge for genocide, A is the closest we'll get.

Every single time. Every. Single. Time we've shown the commos an ounce of compassion, they've repaid us by stabbing us in the back. No more!

And this is really all the incentive people need not to vote B. :smug:

^ Top  
  20. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    A. No mercy.

^ Top  
  21. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    Hm, a difficult choice, Barbarian. I'd ask that councillors not give into their emotional side when deciding the best course of action here, I know many hunger for vengeance against the Commonwealth for the travesties they wrought against us, but emotional decisions are not rational decisions, and only rational decisions are results orientated. That said, I'm not certain of the best course of action to take here, B would be the morally superior choice, given that not even the Commonwealth was ready to sink so low as to full-scale genocide against us, choosing to surrender rather than decimate our people, but again, that's not a rational basis for a decision. The question is, can Marianism convert the materially rich, over-privileged democratic Commonwealth through peaceful preaching and assimilation alone, or will we need to fully destroy the Commonwealth culturally for Marianism to take effect with forceful indoctrination? Will we look like bloodthirsty invaders regardless of how we treat our defeated enemy, or will we create martyrs with option A? Are there any comparable historical precedents equivalent to this that someone could bring up regarding the methods used by an invading force against a conquered people?

^ Top  
  22. Luan Educated

Luan
    A

They deserve so much worse. But yet, don't even DESERVE A.

We could barely suppress wholesale and DESERVED slaughter of their flotilla. The time for words has passed. We WILL bring light to the heathens, or burn out their eyes. Do not deny Maria's righteous flame!

^ Top  
  23. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  24. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Pyramids weren't built by slaves.

^ Top  
  25. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    Yet a disincentive for technological progress.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.