Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, didn't read thoroughly enough. I guess the purges are still ongoing. I suppose how the Commonwealth population react will determine whether this will push the bodycount far higher.

Thank you for the information, mighty Barbarian. It seems clear that with our population concentrated on the homeworld, we must move to encourage migration and resettlement in the other core worlds in order to ensure continued survival of the Respublica should Codexia itself one day fall.

Although that is unlikely, of course. The divine love of Santi Maria holds sway over our mother world; enough to even touch the heart of the staunchest heretic that he would stay his hand from the purging nuclear flame.

At any rate, industrial power wouldn't be too hard to get up if the Marianites stick to their hard work ethic. Remember that the Codexian worlds were devastated during the first civil war. The Marianites managed to rebuild and get it running, and surpass the untouched worlds of the Commonwealth.
That might have more to do with us having all the old industry AND ten times the population. And in spite of this, they almost matched our production for quite a long time.

As I see it, we have this choice. We can have the jewbugs as neighbors, who have hardly ever attacked anyone and who are relatively peaceful, or we can have the hin'in as neighbors, who are maniacs bent on conquest. And unlike previously, they now have taken the habit of purging worlds that oppose them.

Now, it might be that the Raumen manage to fight of the hin'in by themself, but to be honest I doubt it. They have done remarkably well, but if they lose, we lose. They already had industrial capacities far exceeding our pre-Marianite society. In addition to this, the hin'in are fighting the Bron.

Are we to suppose that, if they manage to beat the Raumen and the Bron, we will be more than a little speed hump?

Therefore, it is vital that we intervene in the conflict. As I have said before, abstaining from this conflict means essentially putting the fate of Codexian society in alien hands.

Therefore, we must intervene either in the short term or the medium term. The humanitarian in me wants to intervene in the short term, since the Raumen needs help NAOW!! and we really should have helped them before, but it would probably be smarter to intervene in the medium term.

So, all in all, I'm voting D.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I want to flip-flop about a bit on this one before I make up my mind.

We've got shielded mother-fucking ships. Let's say we push for it. The Hin'in will be like "WTF" and sue for peace. It'd harm our economy short-term but we could very quickly end the whole war which would be better for us long-term. There's also a risk that if we don't push our shielded technology advantage quickly, we'll lose it before long.

We also still don't know much about these Bro's that are also attacking the Hin'in. Maybe they're worse? Maybe if we knew about them, we'd support the Hin'ins war against the Bro's?

Then again, if we stay out, by the time one side wins, we'll be re-built and in a much stronger position to come in and kick an awful lot of ass. EG: We do an America in World War II.

The Bro's are on the other side of the Jewbugs, Bro. We'll have a buffer zone against them, no matter how bad they are.

And we can't be like America in WWII if we wait until the war is over.

We had our Pearl Harbour moment when they attacked the Commos, if we are to be like America we have to capitalize on it.

Murk

Arcane
I may not have time to vote in the upcoming days, so I will place mine now, however I am not very steady in my answer.

I vote D, as I cannot see a possibility of a future for our Respublica if the Hin'in win the war aside from some deus ex machina from the Amoneth.

---
I am thinking of making a flowchart of our decisions and their outcomes in an easy to view image that will make for a quick reference for past decisions (will also show choices we didn't take). Thinking of my answer to the current update reminded me that I had forgotten what some of our past stances where and when we had stayed out and/or gotten involved.

Anyway, anyone think that'd be a worthwhile idea?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hm. A tough one.

klink.png

I am exceededly pleased to see we finally got ourselves an inquisition going. No concentration camps yet, but I guess we can't have everything.

I'd definately be in favour of getting our economy back up and running again. As previous posters have already mentioned, I think it would be a lovely idea to reintroduce AIs as "holy spirits of Santi Maria infused into the machine" or somesuch. It really was a shame to lose them to a knee-jerk reaction before.

In regards to the choice, I am torn. A and B both seem like good ideas. We're smarting after this war, and we've pushed out people past the breaking point before with disastrous results. Sending goods with B seems like a win-win situation. We can control how much of our economy will be devoted to it, so that no serious strain is put on our worlds. If the Raumen win, our token may be remembered and give us a slightly less hostile neighbour. If the Hi'in win, the Raumen may be able to bleed them for a few dozen ships more that we won'rt have to face.

Part of me wouldn't mind D now that we have our shielded ships, but I'm a bit wary of the barbarians comment that our economy is tottering. I'm not sure what to vote yet. I'm open to arguments for and against any option but C, which seems a recipe for disaster.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Let the infidel alien scum kill eachother. Who are we to care? We need to consolidate what we have, rebuild Marianite society into the pinnacle of civilization we all know it is.

This councillor votes A.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
herostratus said:
At any rate, industrial power wouldn't be too hard to get up if the Marianites stick to their hard work ethic. Remember that the Codexian worlds were devastated during the first civil war. The Marianites managed to rebuild and get it running, and surpass the untouched worlds of the Commonwealth.
That might have more to do with us having all the old industry AND ten times the population. And in spite of this, they almost matched our production for quite a long time.

Well, considerable resources were put into... uh, moral reforms and character-building activities. :D We didn't get into re-industrialization until after everything was stable.

At any rate, if there is to be any intervention I'd rather it be militarily rather than the Lend-Lease programme. What are we, jewbugs? Will consider flopping to military action if isolationism does not gain steam. But someone better explain nicely to our people why, after first aiding the apostate Commonwealth, we are now aiding the heathen alien scum when our tenets are quite clear on the matter of xenoforms. Also, take heed of the economy which, as has been mentioned, is very stressed from maintaining our war machine. Considering that we have a few hundred million new citizens to integrate into our Social Circle, estimated to take decades, we should be careful in that respect - things on the homefront won't be easy if we decide to embark on a crusade.

But someone better explain nicely to our people why, after first aiding the apostate Commonwealth, we are now aiding the heathen alien scum when our tenets are quite clear on the matter of xenoforms.
We are not aiding the Raumen, we are killing the hin'in. Here's how we can do it: First we declare hin'in Xenos Horribilis, and run a massive hate-campaign against them and pin every imaginable and unimaginable evil onto them. This would be well received in the commo worlds as well.

Then we make up some shit about hin'in planning an attack against us from the Raumen territories, and invade their bases. Yes, that will technically aid the Raumen but to our populace, this angle will never be mentioned and will be considered an accidental side effect.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
I say B.

There is something very satisfying in financing Bugs who want to blow themselves up.
If they kill some gnomes on the way, all the better :smug:

Also, i really dont want the Hi'nin to win.

The longer the war rages, the weaker everybody else than us will be.

And our current regime does like that idea.

Reintroducing A.I. as some of you sugest is a bad idea.

There WILL be a backlash.

And it will be in the most devout part of the society, i.e. the elite.

Calling it divine would not help either, it would probably just make things worse as we would CLEARLY be herretics.

Do you really want our homegrown religion turning against us?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
herostratus said:
But someone better explain nicely to our people why, after first aiding the apostate Commonwealth, we are now aiding the heathen alien scum when our tenets are quite clear on the matter of xenoforms.
We are not aiding the Raumen, we are killing the hin'in. Here's how we can do it: First we declare hin'in Xenos Horribilis, and run a massive hate-campaign against them and pin every imaginable and unimaginable evil onto them. This would be well received in the commo worlds as well.

Then we make up some shit about hin'in planning an attack against us from the Raumen territories, and invade their bases. Yes, that will technically aid the Raumen but to our populace, this angle will never be mentioned and will be considered an accidental side effect.

Then let's hope the Respublican propagandists are up to the task.

Still, the economy and social aspects are what we need to be concerned about the most. I'm not one to shy from opportunist military action but I'm not convinced this gambit would work out given our current economic status. We have a few hundred million new citizens to integrate...

Nickless

Educated
My main concern with A is that if the Hin'in do truimph against the Alliance, they will have no one to devote their attention to but us

(Also on the conspiracy note I left off on before, notice that Conan doesn't pay too close attention to numbers and statistics, except date)

taplonaplo

Scholar
I will vote A or B. But not knowing the scale of the aid we would provide i lean towards A.

Nickless

Educated
taplonaplo said:
I will vote A or B. But not knowing the scale of the aid we would provide i lean towards A.

Yeah, that's a concern. I'd only want to give aid at a manageable level that won't impact upon the economy too much. I might reconsider giving my support for B in favour of A after some more discussion

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nickless said:
My main concern with A is that if the Hin'in do truimph against the Alliance, they will have no one to devote their attention to but us

They are struggling at present, if I interpret the Barbarian's update correctly. If they do win it will be at a heavy cost - what better time to launch a glorious anti-Hin'in crusade with our rebuilt, strengthened forces than on the victory day of their pyrrhic war?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I agree completely with treave on this point. Once we've rebuilt our economy, we're in a perfect position to bring down righteous fire and wrath on all xeno. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Considering our shattered economy, I'm going to go with Option A Option B for now. I could possibly be swayed to B, but I would need to know exactly how big an impact on our economy we're talking about in the terms of supplies sent to the Raumen.

Ideally, we would want the Raumen/Hi'in/BROn to bleed each other dry. From the wording of this update, it sounds like the Raumen will likely lose if we do not intervene. I urge anyone who's voted C or D to change their votes however, as the COmmo are yet to be fully reintegrated. I'd hate for them to stab us in the back again as they are wont to do.

Luan

Educated
What the fuck? Aiding Xenos? Don't you guys pay attention at all to the society you built? We don't care about Xenos. If the Hin come, we will crush them because it is our divine destiny to. If the Raumen are the ones left standing. Then we will crush them instead. Also AI? That's also a disaster waiting to happen. Why do you speak about "spinning". We don't spin, we ARE and we DO, because mother Maria has blessed us with the divine. "spinning" is for heretics. We ARE truth.

A is the only answer.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm all for love they neighbor, but our economy is sodomized right now and we've gathered enough xp points for our fleet. Lets rebuild.

AAAAAA

taplonaplo

Scholar
Let's hope for a faster update by making the result obvious. I vote A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom