Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Would help to know what class you started as, your current stats, and weapon. The boar is heavily armored in the front and weak in the back; you can simply cheese it by baiting him to charge into that staircase to the left, dodge out of the way, hit his butt when he starts to walk away, repeat until he's dead.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Or pick up the alluring skull thats right there and throw it into the fire so it burns to death.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Kinda hate that the Zwei is a Meme thanks to this, its actually pretty good but so is the LEGEND.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I found that one of the most important things is to know when to use thrust attacks.

(E.g. If you approach the rats from beneath the bridge.)

Cadmus

Arcane
the_shadow These meta advices are shit. Pick a fighter style class and have a go at the game is all you need. The more you struggle, the more you'll learn by yourself. Don't watch any fucking videos of retards beating the bosses, it's stupid.

Don't level RES is maybe the only good advice but otherwise stop reading this thread and have fun with the game at your own pace. If you can't kill a boss, there's tons of things you can do. Even farm to get a higher level. Whatever it is, figure it out on your own and don't care about what you should be doing or that you're slow or something and don't interact with the retarded DS community in any way until after you've finished the game. It's a one-time unique experience and you'll fuck it up for yourself, same as reading spoilers for Planetscape: Tournament and wondering what stats you should take to be the best fighter. The game is pretty easy and you can't really get to a point where you're unable to do anything to progress. I mean, the moment to moment gameplay is a little more difficult than normal but you're always progressing and suddenly you got the hang of it and you start feeling confident and then it's never really difficult anymore.

Unless you're some retard who plays games differently, then go get fucked.

For example, I hate the boss fights in DS so I cheese them as much as I can without learning anything about their moves,etc. Taurus I couldn't kill but he fell off the ledge and I was good to go.
Later on I kinda learned how to fight them better but I never enjoyed it. It might sound strange but I still think it was one of the best games ever because of everything else.
Also I never played with a shield, always a 2-handed weapon and get right into the thick of things, tank shit with my manly body. I never really wanted to duel with the regular enemies so mostly I was killing them with the jump attack to capitalize on my high damage/low defense combo. Capra demon I didn't even notice for some time so when I went back to kill him, I had no idea there'd be a boss there and just kinda killed him in 4 seconds by spamming left click and now I keep reading how he's this amazing scary boss everybody hates, lol. The game can be played in so many ways, just do something you enjoy.

Also for the Ceasless Discharge, I have no idea why everybody hates him, I beat him on the first try I think without knowing anything about him, just by standing in spot and dodging his arms and fucking him with my strap-on halberd or 2hander or something. I had much more trouble with other stuff other people said was easy.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yup, you should play the game without any information, I think that it would ruin the experience too.

the_shadow

Arcane
I'm getting used to the X-box controller, in that I'm no longer pressing the wrong button. I was stuck just outside the Undead Parish for a while because I kept getting poisoned by those goddamn rats. The few times I managed to make my way into the Chapel, I got K'O'ed by a dude with a huge mace.

After a lot of sneaking around I managed to find a bonfire in the Chapel, which means no more rats! Also found my first smith, and have upgraded my short sword so that I can kill skellies in 3 hits instead of 6. I encountered a necromancer and was managing to hold my own, until two knights snuck up behind me and ganked my character. Bloody hell.

Caim

Arcane
The big knight dude can be killed by dodging his attacks and hitting him when you can. If you kill him he doesn't respawn, and make sure to grab the thing off the altar. Bring it back to Firelink (note the elevator on the other side of the room where you walk in when you approach the chapel from the direction of the blacksmith) to get a nice upgrade far better than any souls you get from using it.

As for the guy in the robes, he's not a necromancer (you'll meet those later: if you see one kill it ASAP before you get boned). If you consistenly get attacked by the knights on the ground floor of the chapel consider going after those guys first. Beware though: they can parry you.

Yeah, my favorite weapon in DS1. But farming for it is tedious so not sure if I can recommend. Had more fun with DEX build than STR in DS1.

Machocruz

Arcane
lol balder swag sword dropped for me first time through parish. 99 problems but a BSS ain't one. That Channeler's Trident tho :x

Too late, but ez mode formula for that first Taurus Demon is: Resin sword plunge + Hug nuts and attack til he dies.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Also found my first smith, and have upgraded my short sword

If I were to hazard a guess based on that comment, I would say you are a Dex build, or at least picked a starting class with high Dex. If you choose to focus on Dexterity then, as you've probably gathered based on above comments, bear in mind that those caped knights can drop a very powerful Dex weapon. I wouldn't worry about it for now, and would continue to progress as normal, but later on you may find equipment that enhances Item Discovery. If you do, you may wish to return to the Parish and do a bit of farming.

Also, another thing - the amount of Humanity your character ingests, as shown in the number to the left of the Health bar, also increases Item Discovery, regardless of whether one is actually in Human form or not, to a maximum of 10 Humanity. I've no qualms over giving out tips on mechanics such as this, as the manuals for these games are rubbish and tell the player sod all; otherwise, I should heed Cadmus' above advice and avoid reading further tips.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I wouldn't worry about 'powerful' weapons anyways. Ever since the first couple of patches to DaS, the series has had overly balanced weapons that are all 'viable'. Some stuff is still clearly shit due to split damage mechanics or being a joke weapon, but you're not going to suddenly kick everything's ass with a rare weapon if you're having trouble with a normal one. Fuck, one of the best PvE weapons is the god damned club.

Gentle Player

Arcane
I wouldn't worry about 'powerful' weapons anyways. Ever since the first couple of patches to DaS, the series has had overly balanced weapons that are all 'viable'. Some stuff is still clearly shit due to split damage mechanics or being a joke weapon, but you're not going to suddenly kick everything's ass with a rare weapon if you're having trouble with a normal one. Fuck, one of the best PvE weapons is the god damned club.

Indeed, but it would be a shame to miss out on the Balder Sword as a Dex player, and it's very easy to do so without having heard of it beforehand. The weapon is just very fun to use; it's like a mini-Claymore but lighter, faster, and with less stat investment required to get the most out of it.

the_shadow

Arcane
So I killed the 'necromancer' and mace dude, and finally made it to the gargoyle boss. I dodged a few of his swings, but couldn't land a hit on the bastard. After a dozen more retries, I finally got him down to half health, and another gargoyle appears. For fucks sake.

Anyway, I decided to go back to the Undead Burg and explore it a bit more thoroughly. I managed to get to the lower level and free some sorcerer, and toast some pretty tough skeleton assassins. After accumulating some fire bombs, I thought I'd go back to the chapel and have another crack at the boss. Only to die, and die, and die on the way there. For some reason, the red dragon toasts me almost every time, or I get cheap shotted by some skeleton hiding behind a corner. Then I started to think about the trek I'd have to make back and forth between the bonfire and the boss, even if I made it to the chapel. I felt physically ill. I looked at my playtime... 14 hours. I've played the game for 14 hours, and I don't think I've had fun once.

So yeah, I'm going to call it quits. If you could retry the boss fights without having to trudge through a bunch of flunkies, it would make the whole thing more bearable, but I'm not going to waste my time and sanity to 'get good' at a game which doesn't do it for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom