Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

L'Montes

Educated
Dark Souls 1 (PC) has had a pretty poor population for awhile, I think many PC players are looking forward to a resurgent population, regardless of the other issues that PC remaster may have (it's also a cheap buy for current PC owners I guess).

With that as a given, it usually says if a given mod impacts PvP or not, though both of the listed mods (both are rebalance mods, sort of) are more about the PvE experience anyway.

If you're really worried, you can play offline.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just played the beta. Everything looks and plays the same for better and for worse. Back stab is still a viable strategy.

The only difference I saw was summoning phantoms. I'm not sure if it's only a beta thing but it behaves in the same manner as dark souls 3. You can summon more people as your allies get killed.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
unknown.png

:betrayed:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How do you have DS3 Deluxe Edition AND the Ringed City? Afaik that DLC was part of the Season Pass that was part of the Deluxe Edition.

Hyperion

Arcane
How do you have DS3 Deluxe Edition AND the Ringed City? Afaik that DLC was part of the Season Pass that was part of the Deluxe Edition.
He only owns the first one, it's why there's no price next to it. It was just a search for 'dark souls.' I'm guessing the remaster isn't even listed. Or because 3 turned up first, which means it's the most popular.

Atomkilla

Arcane
The pic shows the Steam Store currently, and the fact that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die has been removed. I mean, it's there, but no price is listed, so you can't buy it.

Arnust

Savant
I initially thought it was another parallel to Skyrim Special Edition; become delisted in the sense of it not appearing on search nor in reccomendations naturally but needing a direct link to the store page, where you could still buy it. However this was rather the opposite. It's still listed but it is completely unavaleible for purchase. I don't really get why they wouldn't even try and have a last chance discount for it, have some people rush to go get it, but I guess they'd rather just slip it under the rug.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I initially thought it was another parallel to Skyrim Special Edition; become delisted in the sense of it not appearing on search nor in reccomendations naturally but needing a direct link to the store page, where you could still buy it. However this was rather the opposite. It's still listed but it is completely unavaleible for purchase. I don't really get why they wouldn't even try and have a last chance discount for it, have some people rush to go get it, but I guess they'd rather just slip it under the rug.

Because owners of Prepare to Die get a 50% discount on Steam for DS Remastered. Offering discount for original game at this point would be unprofitable.

L'Montes

Educated
They offered a discount on the OG through May 8th, and announced the delisting/discount back in April I think. So, people had a little while to buy the OG Prepare to Die for $20, and then get the remaster for $20 as well later if they wanted to own both at the same time.

I also played the network test. The visual changes are hit and miss.

Things like bloodstains are overly saturated and bright to the point they're distractingly jarring. There's something of a motion blur (on PS4 at least) when camera panning quickly that's kinda distracting as well. There's a UI percentage slider that lets you size it up/down, though it applies to all elements at once, and doesn't change their positions. It seems like they could've done more with that, and/or possibly added a smart-HUD feature to fade out certain elements not currently in use like they added in later games.

The upscale on textures and lightning doesn't seem *bad* in the sense of it being performed poorly, but it's still oddly jarring like it kills some of the look of the original game. It reminds me of playing PS1/PS2 game on an emulator with the models upscaled and sharp, but they were never really intended to look quite like that. It makes a dark world that formerly looked a bit muddy, and made elements of it overly clean and bright. I can look and say: "Ah yes, those textures/models are cleaner and sharper now." - but it's not necessarily a better look?

Hit and miss though, like I said. Somethings do look really nice cleaned up (that is, not all armor/etc. looks as detail-stripped as those shots of knight gear from the Asylum).

As an aside unrelated to performance, because the network test was apparently taken from the old trade-show demo: Witch (sorcerer) is an incredibly gimpy option for demo/test players. You get a Sorcerer's Outfit, Dagger, Wooden Shield, Staff, 30 Charges of Soul Arrow, and 5 charges of Magic Shield. You need to clear the Parish with that. I can only imagine being some journalist that knew nothing about the series getting wrecked as I tried to clear the whole area with 30 spell charges and a dagger.

There's an interesting contrast with the Black Knight option, who one-shots just about anything you swing at.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The upscale on textures and lightning doesn't seem *bad* in the sense of it being performed poorly, but it's still oddly jarring like it kills some of the look of the original game. It reminds me of playing PS1/PS2 game on an emulator with the models upscaled and sharp, but they were never really intended to look quite like that. It makes a dark world that formerly looked a bit muddy, and made elements of it overly clean and bright. I can look and say: "Ah yes, those textures/models are cleaner and sharper now." - but it's not necessarily a better look?

OFPJgpf.jpg

L'Montes

Educated

I was expecting it to be jarring, from what I'd already seen, and I was expecting lots of old bugs to still be there. The motion blur was the only thing that really annoyed me though (visually... well, and the bloodstains I guess).

DSfix allows you to up the resolution/framerate without messing with the lightning in the ways they did, so I guess the old Prepare to Die may still be preferred for some players that care about preserving the aesthetic.

Of course, the network test had that "warning" about the code in the demo "not being final", so maybe the release-version of the game will be perfect and make everyone happy?

Wunderbar

Arcane
DSfix allows you to up the resolution/framerate without messing with the lightning in the ways they did, so I guess the old Prepare to Die may still be preferred for some players
I heard that Remaster is much better optimized, and even can provide steady fps in Blighttown, which is huge.

L'Montes

Educated
That's true, DSFix'd Prepare to Die was vulnerable to vanilla Dark Souls performance issues in various areas when you tried to run it with increased res/etc. At lower quality, it usually didn't have the same console performance issues though.

I feel like the motion blur is likely meant to be a performance saver behind the scenes, but it ran without any hitches in the demo at least. It's possible the PC version won't have motion blur.

Hard to get a real feel for all the changes from just a Parish demo of course (not exactly the most visually interesting area in the game). I noticed someone did a longer video on the demo as well.

praetor

Arcane

can't believe a (relatively) big name youtuber made such a negative video. hopefully more join the fray!

RoSoDude

Arcane

can't believe a (relatively) big name youtuber made such a negative video. hopefully more join the fray!

As usual, the existence of proper mouse controls is missing from discussion of the modded Prepare to Die Edition (a very notable feature, considering the "remaster" has done nothing to fix them after 6 years), but I appreciate this guy going into depth otherwise.

Also, nice little plug for Midair at the end, I definitely recommend people give that game a try instead of plopping down $20-40 on this lazy cashgrab.

DemonKing

Arcane
I watched a few vids yesterday of people who were happy/pleasantly surprised by the remaster beta. It was clear from the way they were playing they were DS veterans too. I guess we'll just have to wait for the final release to see if this really is just a minimal effort cash grab or something which actually took a bit of effort to produce.

L'Montes

Educated
I watched a few vids yesterday of people who were happy/pleasantly surprised by the remaster beta. It was clear from the way they were playing they were DS veterans too. I guess we'll just have to wait for the final release to see if this really is just a minimal effort cash grab or something which actually took a bit of effort to produce.

For what it's worth, I'm a vet, and despite my disappointment, I'm still getting the remaster.

I'll be playing through Dark Souls 1 with some friends. It'll be their first time, but not mine. In that sense, a new version with an active community is a plus, regardless of any dissatisfaction with things like motion blur or what-not.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Gotta love how everyone went full retard mode in this thread when no one has played the PC version yet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom