Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Latelistener

Arcane
Started playing the first dark souls.
I am wandering,how viable are heavy armor builds for the nastier bosses? Can i just tank/mitigate damage with armor/shield enough to compensate for shit timings/reflexes?
Physical armor is shit in the game unfortunately. The only things that matter are poise and some resistances (situational).

At most go with a build for medium rolls, there are some decent armor pieces that aren't really all that heavy and provide a decent amount of poise and resistances.

There are also breakpoints for poise, which means once you get above that it won't do you much good.

Having a shield is something worth considering. You will have to carry several of them for different tasks, but there are a few that can be more or less universal.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Most builds are viable don't listen to the munchkins PvE is not as intransigent as PvP.

Medium roll + shield is perfectly viable for 99.9% of content (Manu is the only issue but they give you a mean to block his spells if you don't have fast roll. Spoiler, i know. Artorias too is an issue but again there's a way to do him without ninja roll). People are obsessed with ninja rolls only because they think it makes them look cool but if you are not a weaboo faggot you can easily make your tank the game is designed around all kind of builds (unlike, say, DS3).

Armor is not useless btw it helps with regular enemies and save estus the problem is that bosses hit so hard you don't want to take full damage no matter how much armor you have, so for fat roll builds that means investing in heavy shields or practice parry.

Meanwhile, medium roll is enough to dodge most things and what you can't dodge you can block. I'm a sucker for knight/paladin/cleric types and i rarely use ninja roll characters.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
As Silva said, heavy armor and shield is the easy mode in DS1 and DS2.

Dunno, you need farm sould for that. There is nothing easier then rolling builds - don't need farming, 20 End is enough.
Right?
To get the most out of rolls in DS2 you need to level Endurance to roll more frequently, Vitality to increase your roll distance and Adaptability for the i-frames to make your rolls actually successful. By contrast in Dark Souls 1 you have only a single stat to govern your carry weight and stamina which affects your rolls, but the threshold for having your rolls not be shit is much higher so you need more levels in it anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
As Silva said, heavy armor and shield is the easy mode in DS1 and DS2.

Dunno, you need farm sould for that. There is nothing easier then rolling builds - don't need farming, 20 End is enough.
Right?
To get the most out of rolls in DS2 you need to level Endurance to roll more frequently, Vitality to increase your roll distance and Adaptability for the i-frames to make your rolls actually successful. By contrast in Dark Souls 1 you have only a single stat to govern your carry weight and stamina which affects your rolls, but the threshold for having your rolls not be shit is much higher so you need more levels in it anyway.

Don't forget estus drinking speed lmao.

DS3 is the worst. You get all the i-frames from medium roll, and armor doesn't even do anything and only even shows up with hyper armor.

Result: you can just pretend armor doesn't exist but wait! Even if you are just wearing rags make sure you are wearing all the pieces in all the slots because you'll get an hefty penalty in damage reduction if you don't.

Basically, raising stats for heavier armors is always a waste but you can't go naked either.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You just need to git gud:

Why roll when you can just use stagger as a form of defence. If they are stunned they can't hit you bro.

Meanwhile heavy shield can actually tank charged up Smoug:

Honestly, best way to play this game is to do whatever you want and adapt to the play style you have chosen.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I always play heavy armor because it looks kewl but when things get tough I strip down to nothing and roll/dual-hand my way through, looks dumb but much easier imo.

Yeah,but sometimes you wil need that armor, in case with S&O, if you left O for later... those lightning technique for his kung-fu simply oneshot low Vot @ even with lightning resistace ring.

________

Lyric Suite why in first video PC didn't take damage while drunk estus? This animation alos has iframes or just bug?
Also, they should try to fight like that O, I would definitely watch that hehe.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Upgraded estus and low vitality means he overflowed with health recovery (estus recovery went over his health bar) giving the illusion he took no damage.

I need to look a video of someone fat rolling charged up Ornstein but i guess if you have a fat roll build it is more likely you'd want the Smoug armor. I mean, he fat lmao.

Personally i wouldn't try to play with fat roll but it's doable. Medium roll is perfectly viable and even medium shield can tank some nasty boss attacks. There is nothing prevent you from playing as a sword and board type of character, too much emphasis on dodging is giving new people a bad impression as to how many play styles this game can support. This ain't that Bloodborne total conversion i mean DS3 lul.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Absolutley don't watch it if you don't want spoilers (seriously don't, first playthrough is the most important you gonna have and part of the fun is plunging into the unkonwn) but there you go:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Heh, the point is that you cannot even go without helm.

DS3 has the worst system out of the three.
Yeah, in DS3 you have to wear something in every slot, but it basically doesn't matter what you wear.
Absolutley don't watch it if you don't want spoilers (seriously don't, first playthrough is the most important you gonna have and part of the fun is plunging into the unkonwn) but there you go:

Pretty cool actually. But I wonder why he only has +3 estus and lightning sword? I guess fat roll isn't the only challenge constraint :M

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
So I've kinda stuck in Hollow Knight and didn't find anything better to do than to really, actually trying to beat Dark Souls 2, which I was mostly just joking about before that.

10.5 hours in I like the level design, graphics got better comparing to DS (even remastered version) and change of style like in Majula is certainly refreshing. The music is also much better.

But when it comes to combat I honestly feel like I'm playing some insultingly stupid child game. The enemies are very slow and just lazily copypasted in groups(even their animations are always synchronized, like they are some stupid robots) and reused again and again and again and again and again without any variations or different combinations of weapons (like in DS1 or 3).

I was seriously pissed off when I've met on the single location for third time that floating knight guy which I've beaten twice before, first time he was presented as a boss, the second and third time...as a regular enemy, though nothing has changed about his hitpoints or tactics, or appearance.

latest

I feel something is very wrong with this game, but still trying to give it a chance. Locations are dreamlike beautiful.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The Pursuer will show up again and again until eventually he'll be gone without any indication you did anything different besides kill him for the umpteenth time.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Well, yes, but actually no. "Open" spaces look very cool while dungeons look like shit (also very dark).
Some aesthetic choices in Dark Souls 2 are :prosper:

I will never forget the Heineken can in the Grave of Saints:
you didn't notice it, you just saw a youtube video pointing this out. Don't act like all offended like "oh i saw a heineken can in a fantasy game, it was right in my face! literally unplayable!".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
you didn't notice it, you just saw a youtube video pointing this out. Don't act like all offended like "oh i saw a heineken can in a fantasy game, it was right in my face! literally unplayable!".
Dude, I'm one of the biggest apologists of DS2 here on the Codex. Not Curratum-levels of "this is the best game in the series, Dark Souls 1 is complete shit in comparison", but still pretty autistic about it. Never said that the game is shit due to a texture, but it's still absurd that stuff like that ended up being in the game.

And no, I didn't see a youtube video pointing this out, a friend of mine told me to pay attention to the water in that area. I'm not gay enough to watch youtube videos about videogames.

Latelistener

Arcane
Well, this was the most painful downgrade, simply because it was actually playable even if only on PC. And it was damn beautiful.

If it was actually a downgrade and not a separate build running on the Bloodborne engine for marketing purposes.

531F23B63E57360016

531F23BE3E6DA90012

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom