Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think you must have missed something. There's no gate between you and the bonfire after the Taurus demon.

After killing the demon you can kick that ladder down and rest at the previous fire. Then you climb the ladder back up and have to deal with a skeleton, and an utterly annoying skeleton near a ledge that you have to just stand there and wait for him to come to you because if you try to attack him on that ledge, you'll fall while trying to attack him (learned this the hard way), then the rats, go up, skeles and a boar that only needs to be beaten once, siderooms full of hollows, skeles and a couple of shield guys, then unlock the gate. There's a church after the gate and to the side a safe place to rest with the blacksmith. Etched into my memory for now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i guess scrubs gonna scrub lol.

Cannot even begin to imagine how you would deal with places like Blight Town, or the Tomb of Giants.

And i mean i'm not actually fond of twitch combat at all but Dark Souls just had me by the balls and never let me go.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I didn't know Roguey was such a carebear. The whole point of playing vidya is to overcome challenges and derive a sense of accomplishment from it. Dark Souls is doing this the best of the aRPG bunch.

If you wanna just lean back and be entertained watch moovis.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
OK so I was so desperate for Souls games that I actually bought the Dark Souls 2 today.
55 minutes in it is not so bad...
Dark Souls 2 is a very good game. Just like any other entry in the series, it does certain things better and other things worse than the other games.

Well, I didn't actually play it properly in the past, a couple of times tried and failed. This time I'm interested to go further.
Also I'm playing Hollow Knight evenings after work and it is amazing (though I was initially sceptical about 2D Souls clone after such disappointments as Blasphemous).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You should give Nioh (and Nioh 2) a try. They are the best 3D Souls clones out there, but they can be kind of a hit-or-miss. It all comes down to how much you enjoy the aspects that they do very well, and how much you care about the areas where they do very badly. If you can see beyond recycled maps, uninspired level design, and a very limited set of enemies, you will have a lot of fun with them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
OK so I was so desperate for Souls games that I actually bought the Dark Souls 2 today.
It may be the worst Souls game, but given the quality of the Souls series it's still a pretty good game.

"DS2 is the worst Souls game" is a crusty obsolete meme from like 2014.

Also Nioh is grate but it's more like a crossbreed between Diablo and Ninja Gaiden than a Souls-like.

Caim

Arcane
It may be the worst Souls game, but given the quality of the Souls series it's still a pretty good game.

Also Nioh is grate but it's more like a crossbreed between Diablo and Ninja Gaiden than a Souls-like.
Then what's the worst Souls game made by From Software? And no, the DS1 remaster doesn't count.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Then what's the worst Souls game made by From Software? And no, the DS1 remaster doesn't count.
DaS3

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

DaS3

DS1 Remaster > DS3 > DS2 I guess

Silverfish

Arbiter

DS3. It's not even all that bad, but it's way too linear compared to Demon's or Dark 1, and doesn't offer the variety or customization of DS2. Personally, I'm not too high on Bloodborne, but it at least has stronger art design and a (somewhat) more interesting story to fall back on.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Climbing on the ladder to kill those skeles and then using it again to stab it in the head was the first thing I did. A good start, but not enough.

What you need to do - what you was need to do - is to practise with him, to lear how he attacks you, and how to dodge the hits.
I fought him at the top of tower, it's better than fighting him on narrow wall, but you still could and probably will fall down.
It took ~5-6 tries, maybe more, but below 10.

I've accomplished that, but now I'm done.

It's OK, but return to a game later, when fatigue will dissipate, and you will be surprised hwo easy things actually are.
I remembered DS as difficult game (played with parry) and on second try decided to just roll with halberd - and evrything is surprisingly smooth after I understood that arrow up in controls mean Shift and you can re-assigncontrols lol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You mean a place where you can't see shit, you can fall to your death from moving an inch in every direction while you have to fight giant skeletons that can one shot you?

Yeah kinda of the definition of unfair lmao. And i loved every second of it. This is the kind of shit DS1 did better than DS3.

If you find it too hard try getting the sunlight maggot first all though doing it with the skull lantern is just too cool.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If you find it too hard try getting the sunlight maggot first all though doing it with the skull lantern is just too cool.

No, I'm already did cathacombs after I obtained that ember for fire weapon, and I have that skull lantern. I just need to be a bit better.
Also, I'm fine with challage, just not the challenge that built through total darkness. Blight Town was diffiicult but fair, this one isn't.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's one of my favored areas in the game and a logical extension of this design principle they were following in DS1 of having at least one unique enviormental challenge, in this case visibility, for most maps.

In my last play through i did it with no light whatsoever but it wasn't as fun as the first time with the skull lantern as alas the entire layout is etched in my brain now so it wasn't as much of a challenge as i expected.

If it's too much wait until you can tank the skellies.

BTW, yes, this area is intended to be particularly hard, because it's right before one of the main last bosses, whom you can access only after taking the Lord's Vessel. Doing it before that is pointless unless you want the ember or the miracle NPC which you can just do and get out.

Crystal Cave and New Londo are a pain too and Lost Izalith just sucks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom