Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They must be keeping servers offline to force Souls online player base to get Elden Ring.

Except console servers work, don't they?

I wonder whats the likelyhood of someone suing them if they don't fix them.

The games are advertized as having online features, they can't void what's in the box, right?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So it's not about Elden Ring, it's about their incompetence. I have an hunch they WILL fix it because i'm not entirely sure of the legal position of selling their games on PC with missing features. That is, they may not give a shit and they are dedicating as little resources as possible but the threat of legal repercussions may ensure they'll get around to it eventually.

Just Locus

Educated
I Deeply Enjoyed Elden ring, the exploration has massively improved, and i also like the fact that the game isn't worried that you'll miss most of the content, normally this is an understandable concern in open-world games, games are difficult to create, so developers being concerned that you might miss their effort is understandable, but with ER it seems like they could care less whether you miss the content or not, given how there are only 2 mandatory bosses in the starting area.
My issues are that the game in its current state has a ton of balance issues, both MP and Boss-related, they sometimes do moves that are not something that a new player should reasonably expect, and once they do it, it's very hard to get out of it.
But overall, I've enjoyed all of the souls games (besides 2, I despised that game with a burning passion). and ER is just another installment in From's catalog, I'd say they did a great job.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Playing Dark Souls (PTDE). How do I even defeat this damnable Capra Demon? Is beating him necessary to progress further into the game?
Every single fight with this bastard would start with him jumping right at me with his dual swords/cudgels/whatever before I could even cross the doorstep of his arena, and even if I manage to properly dodge the initial attack, his hounds would make certain to run into my character and slow him down, and then the demon would bash me into the ground with his next attack, and the whole affair would be over the next second.
Why can't I block his attacks, by the way? I saw a video on youtube in which it was demonstrated that his attacks *are* blockable, but for some reason he always manages to knock me down and inflict substantial damage, even when I'm guarding with a shield (I've tried using several of them). Could it be because I haven't sufficient stamina?

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Every single fight with this bastard would start with him jumping right at me with his dual swords/cudgels/whatever before I could even cross the doorstep of his arena, and even if I manage to properly dodge the initial attack, his hounds would make certain to run into my character and slow him down, and then the demon would bash me into the ground with his next attack, and the whole affair would be over the next second.
use the stairs in the back of arena to cut Capra from his dogs.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
use the stairs in the back of arena to cut Capra from his dogs.
Yeah, I tried that, but again those hounds. I can't even make a single swing before either them or the demon interrupt me from the back or from the side, and then the other one finishes the job. Maybe I should try a quicker weapon to deal with the hounds first, then switch to the more powerful one to take on the demon.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is beating him necessary to progress further into the game?
While this boss is technically skippable, by skipping him you are going to miss several important locations and an item that allows you to upgrade normal weapons from +5 to +10. Not advisable.

Yeah, I tried that, but again those hounds. I can't even make a single swing before either them or the demon interrupt me
the demon should not be able to interrupt you if you are on top of the stairs in the right corner.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Playing Dark Souls (PTDE). How do I even defeat this damnable Capra Demon? Is beating him necessary to progress further into the game?
Why can't I block his attacks, by the way? I saw a video on youtube in which it was demonstrated that his attacks *are* blockable, but for some reason he always manages to knock me down and inflict substantial damage, even when I'm guarding with a shield (I've tried using several of them). Could it be because I haven't sufficient stamina?
git gud my nigga lmao

But seriously, poison dogs are just about the worst enemy in the entire game, from my point of view—coming as they do when the player is barely more than fresh and naked. That one spot just prior to (or is it after?) the Capra Demon where the poison dogs rush you and then the undead thieves ambush you from behind barred doors is pretty much the worst. I had far less trouble with Ornstein and Smough than I did with those damned dogs and thieves, whether being cautious or bold.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If you don't want to practice this fight, run for the stairs to the left rolling like mad, then at the top reverse gear and use your shield. Kill the dogs. Wait for the daemon to approach. Jump down, he will follow and be stunned for 3 seconds. Get two hits in and run for the stairs again.

It will work on the 3rd try, I'd guess :)

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Ok, I managed, after another 20 painful retries. It took a bit of dancing around that staircase, also I used the scimitar to cut down the hounds first, then switched to Gargoyle's Halberd +3, which turned out to be an excellent weapon -- dealing heavy damage and letting me strike him from afar. There are no particular 'secrets' or 'insights' regarding how to defeat Capra Demon that I can share from my experience, I believe in the end it was just patience and a bit of luck. By the way, certain types of Capra's attacks proved to be blockable indeed, his 'normal' swing attack for instance, but I dared not try and find out which ones else.

Now I'm unsure where I should head to next. There's the Darkroot Garden for instance, but the strength of the enemies I encountered therein seems to suggest it is not the route I'm supposed to take now. Also I received some key after killing Capra, but I don't know where it must be used.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter

It varies wildly based on what attacks he's using. Most of his single swipes are safe to block, and there's even a sweet spot if you're super close to him where the hitbox can go over your head, but I've never been able to do that consistently. The double swing can be blocked, but is almost guaranteed to drain all of your stamina if you're fighting him early on. If the jump attack can be blocked, I've never done it. Even with high investment into stamina and an upgraded shield (granted, I've never used greatshields), he's broken my guard and pancaked me every time.

Max Damage

Savant
What I did is rush to stairs, kill the dogs, then deal with demon himself. Sometimes he'll hit you even up there, but it shouldn't take more than a few tries, overall. Not my favorite boss fight, for sure, I never blocked his attacks, just dodged. I actually did part of Darkroot before Capra, there's some real good stuff there + mosses that cure poison and toxins, decent area for a bit of early farming.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
My first attempt against Capra Demon, I was caught by the dogs and killed by Capra Demon while still dealing with them. For the second attempt, I knew what to expect, so I managed to kill the dogs quickly before the Capra Demon could attack, and in the remainder of the fight made use of the structure of that battle field, especially the stairs which you can safely fall from and use to create distance between you and the Capra Demon when necessary. This character was a strength build. Second playthrough of Dark Souls, I used a faith build and beat the Capra Demon on the first attempt, with a similar strategy. Never been certain as to why so many consider this a difficult boss. :M

Now I'm unsure where I should head to next. There's the Darkroot Garden for instance, but the strength of the enemies I encountered therein seems to suggest it is not the route I'm supposed to take now. Also I received some key after killing Capra, but I don't know where it must be used.

Next area is The Depths, accessible from a nearby locked door, but you can take detours in Darkroot Garden/Basin and/or the Catacombs first, if you prefer.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
My first attempt against Capra Demon, I was caught by the dogs and killed by Capra Demon while still dealing with them. For the second attempt, I knew what to expect, so I managed to kill the dogs quickly before the Capra Demon could attack, and in the remainder of the fight made use of the structure of that battle field, especially the stairs which you can safely fall from and use to create distance between you and the Capra Demon when necessary. This character was a strength build. Second playthrough of Dark Souls, I used a faith build and beat the Capra Demon on the first attempt, with a similar strategy. Never been certain as to why so many consider this a difficult boss. :M

It can be unexpected the first time, plus some people just panic and/or don't note the environment because they don't think when they play games. Beyond that, occasionally you can get stuck between a dog and the wall and get raped before you manage to get free, but that's more just the general semi-jankiness of Souls games than anything.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Regarding Capra demon, you can use a decent shield and his attacks take off very little stamina when you're blocking.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sony screwed up early on back with Demon's Souls

in a hindsight Fromsoft are probably happy with that. If not for Shuhei Yoshida's shortsightedness, Fromsoft would've still wallowed in obscurity.
Yeah, Sony's management was clearly too conservative to give them the leeway they needed to keep breaking out with hits unless their opinions would have changed sufficiently due to any success Demon's Souls would have seen. But that also would have required them to bring it out in North America which they had already decided not to do. The gaming landscape would be much different for sure.

Gromlintroid

Learned
SOTFS adds all the DLC to the base game but it changes lots of encounters up so it is slightly tougher in some areas.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I heard that in the remaster they increased the number of enemies (by simply placing more copies of the same enemy), so the only way you can win certain encounters is by luring the enemies out one by one and dealing with each individually. Also that the combat is notably buggy in both versions (enemy ai, hitboxes). Is that true?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom