Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't recall DSFixed DS being any hassle to set up. Certainly not more so than setting up emulators, with which you'll also no doubt be getting shittier visuals.

Well, last time i tried DSFix i couldn't get the resolution to stick. Demon Souls takes two seconds to set up.

Also, for people who didn't buy the game before the remaster came out the emulator might be the only way to play it with the original graphics, unless torrents still have the original game.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Why would you want to emulate something that is a native on PC and works out of the box?

Because even with DSFix original Dark Souls is kinda wierd to set up properly. Also, they don't sell it anymore on Steam since the remaster came out and i'm trying to get a friend to play it but he doesn't want to spend money on it and even on discount the remaster is kinda expensive, for him anyway. Figured maybe i can get him to play it on the emulator.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/DARK_SOULS_Prepare_To_Die_Edition/

Online doesn't work anymore though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's no option to buy it. Only way to get it on Steam is to find a key somewhere.

Also, for people who didn't buy the game before the remaster came out the emulator might be the only way to play it with the original graphics, unless torrents still have the original game.
I would be really surprised if they don't have it.
Your resolution issue is a new one for me, never had anything of the sort.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Why would you want to emulate something that is a native on PC and works out of the box?

Because even with DSFix original Dark Souls is kinda wierd to set up properly. Also, they don't sell it anymore on Steam since the remaster came out and i'm trying to get a friend to play it but he doesn't want to spend money on it and even on discount the remaster is kinda expensive, for him anyway. Figured maybe i can get him to play it on the emulator.
Never had any issues with DSFix and if your friend isn't retarded he shouldn't have either. Certainly easier than setting up an emulator. RPCS3 site says it's playable in any case, but I obviously never tested it. The game is playable in 720p out of the box on PC with a gamepad, same as consoles. DSFix isn't necessary unless you want 1080p or higher.

If you want original visuals with a playable multiplayer that would be either buying a PS3 / X360 version or the remastered for Switch (which was done by a different studio and has the same visuals as the original, but shitty compressed sounds). They shut down the multiplayer on PC, but I read it can be fixed with mods, so theoretically it could work even with a torrent edition.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Could've sworn I had previously killed Shiva's guard with Poison Mist but I can't do it in the remaster. Has he been made immune in the Remaster or is my memory wrong?

fork

Just play the original on a PS3. Buy one used, and enjoy a machine with a soul...

Or 360 version on a current gen Xbox. Even Blighttown is kinda playable.
But it really is fucked up that you cannot buy PtDE anymore.
Fuck this industry.

I don't think a lack of online would hurt your experience that much, but there's been more people playing the game lately judging by the ghosts running around all the time. The game used to be truly barren in the past. To the point where I got truly startled when I got invaded for the first time, on the Painted World of all places. I think I'll never forget it, because I ended up killing the guy by kicking him off the stairs in that tower thing you fight some harpies in.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
To the point where I got truly startled when I got invaded for the first time, on the Painted World of all places.

That's where I finally got invaded on my last playthrough, too, which probably means it's an invasion hotspot. My strategy was to hide at the very end of one of those stone escarpments (perhaps there's only one; not sure) that has a path-blocking dragon on it, remain motionless, and make him search the entire level. When he finally spotted me, I just waved and waited for him to approach. Put up a decent fight, but eventually got backstabbed.

Actually, reacting to invasions coolly does seem to throw some invaders off-guard, possibly because they wonder if you know something they don't. Not the best ones, of course, since to them even the more unusual behaviors are all routine.

I just learned that you can throw a Lloyd's Talisman at a mimic chest to 'deactivate' it.

WAT
welcome to the world of dark souls, where 90% of those little tricks aren't hinted to the player.

Seriously though, there's a neat little story about items in this game. One of the starting gifts in DS1 is an item that has a description that's like "perhaps this item will be useful in the future". The internet turned the game upside down looking for a possible use for this item, trying it in every sort of way that was possible... only to have Miyazaki admitting it was just a little bit of trolling. Combine that with the minimal info that's given to the player in FROM games, and you have people spending thousands of hours trying to figure stuff out, trying to find every secret, every item, every use of said items, every possible upgrade... on top of this meaningless blurb that's given to you and that even as a new player you kinda feel drawn to it because of the hints that little description gives.

Oh yeah...

Hey Miyazaki-san, what's this item for?

Oh, that thing? Nah, I was just trolling. It's useless.

Yeah.

Latelistener

Arcane
I just learned that you can throw a Lloyd's Talisman at a mimic chest to 'deactivate' it.

WAT
welcome to the world of dark souls, where 90% of those little tricks aren't hinted to the player.

Seriously though, there's a neat little story about items in this game. One of the starting gifts in DS1 is an item that has a description that's like "perhaps this item will be useful in the future". The internet turned the game upside down looking for a possible use for this item, trying it in every sort of way that was possible... only to have Miyazaki admitting it was just a little bit of trolling. Combine that with the minimal info that's given to the player in FROM games, and you have people spending thousands of hours trying to figure stuff out, trying to find every secret, every item, every use of said items, every possible upgrade... on top of this meaningless blurb that's given to you and that even as a new player you kinda feel drawn to it because of the hints that little description gives.

Oh yeah...

Hey Miyazaki-san, what's this item for?

Oh, that thing? Nah, I was just trolling. It's useless.

Yeah.
There are no starting items with such description in Dark Souls.

The one that is remotely close is the old witch's ring and is in fact potentially useful in the future.

In-Game Description

Gift from a witch. Ancient ring with no obvious effect.

What Miyazaki was talking about is the pendant and it doesn't say anywhere that it will be useful.

In-Game Description

Trinket. No effect, but fond memories comfort travelers.

Caim

Arcane

WAT
Throw a Talisman at the Mimic, it will go to sleep and gives you a shot at getting the Symbol of Avarice, a helmet that increases the drop chance of items by 200 (not 200%, drop chances are weird in Dark Souls).

It's got a 0.1% chance of dropping it, so you better start grinding.

Caim

Arcane
Caim, I got the covetous ring already and I think these don't stack.

Also, won't I get the symbol anyway from the last mimic?
Yeah, the two don't stack with one another but they do stack with Humanity. You'll also get it from the last Mimic, but you'll have get into the Duke's Archive to get there. Sure it's not that far from where you fight the first Mimic (Sen's Fortress), but it takes a bit longer.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't played DS1 in ages, so I started it up again after beating the sequels, spin offs, etc. It basically feels like it's turn based now. :lol:

Still, it's been fun tooling around with weapons I normally don't use like the winged spear and gargoyle axe just because.

It does a lot of things well, but it's funny how all the time spent with the games getting gradually faster and more action oriented changes your perception of the older games. I'll have to go back and replay Demon's Souls on the PS3 at some point and see how that feels now.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I haven't played DS1 in ages, so I started it up again after beating the sequels, spin offs, etc. It basically feels like it's turn based now. :lol:

Still, it's been fun tooling around with weapons I normally don't use like the winged spear and gargoyle axe just because.

It does a lot of things well, but it's funny how all the time spent with the games getting gradually faster and more action oriented changes your perception of the older games. I'll have to go back and replay Demon's Souls on the PS3 at some point and see how that feels now.
At least swinging your weapon felt faster and - dare I say - more realistic when I replayed it a couple months ago.

A bit more chaotic but better, more enjoyable than in other souls games I played. (Haven't tried Bloodborne or Sekiro.)

I feel DeS is a bit faster paced than DS1.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I feel DeS is a bit faster paced than DS1.
I think that's probably right based on my recollections. It's been a friggin' age though, so who knows? I was blown away by how slow DS1 is, so y'know.

The slower pace doesn't really bug me though, the only thing that's been grinding my gears is the 4 way roll. Feels bad, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom