Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

DS1's combat feels harder hitting, like you're actually swinging heavy weapons around. DeS feels more action figure-y, if that makes sense. More like 2 I'd say.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hehe, TIL that if you jump immediately after entering the Four Kings fog you might actually hit the bottom stairs and die ;-)

Witch Beatrice was a hero today :salute:

Also, just for kicks I put down my sign at the swamp and some total newbie summoned me. They insisted on going upstairs to the trolls, so of course we hit the fog and had to turn back. I steered them towards the boss and he died fighting Queelag, but we spent at least 15 minutes exploring the level like it's 2012 again. Good times.

The swamp? I think you were at Blighttown? The "swamp" makes me think of the forest area with the butterfly. Got a bit of a brainfart there. Also kinda forgot there's a swamp at the bottom of blighttown. To me it's the "ruins level".

Elwro

Arcane
Witch Beatrice was a hero today :salute:
Did they change her in the Remaster? Because in the PTDE she was basically making The Beatles harder.
In NG she is useful because e.g. if a king grabs her you can just get medieval on his ass and the net effect of the kings' increased HP and your expanded options is positive to you. Also, she blasts the kings even while you're rolling through their attacks. However, in NG+ she's no longer beneficial, I think, because then they're really more powerful.

Elwro

Arcane
Lol, 11 years and I still discover things.

I found Rhea at Duke's and was like WHAAAAT

I learned that the formerly-tongue-deprived Firekeeper from FS has dialogue I had somehow missed which is only available if you aid Kaathe. It shows this is really the way to go ;-)

Also, Logan started selling me stuff at INT 14. Weird.

Logan's bit is not surprising, characters in the Trilogy do skill checks to see if they interact with you aside from normal dialogue. In 2, that means being unable to join factions and miss out on spells because of this.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah, it's just that the Wiki says you need 15.

Also, wearing a RoS made me lose my souls after Seath cursed me. Hm.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Lenny is the only youtube shouter that is actually funny. Maybe it's because he comes off as genuinely kind and excited, whereas most are manufactured personalities.

Perkel

Arcane
True challenge was blightown at 15fps. with toxic. which is what PS3 version did. Hell even years later when PC release was happening it still had that issue. and you needed top pc to push through limit and get 30fps other wise game would halve framerate.

4 games later and they've never made anything as harrowing as the Anor Londo roof approach, the Tomb of the Giants, or the Forest Covenant.

Well that is just result of bonefire mechanic breaking things and it is going down since Demon's Souls as this was true harrowing game back then when you only got bonfire IF you killed boss.

Silverfish

Arbiter
True challenge was blightown at 15fps. with toxic. which is what PS3 version did.

The PS3 version of Blighttown was made out to be worse than it actually was just for the memes. Upper Blighttown was a mess, with fps being tied to how many enemies were active (PS3 New Londo had a similar problem near the shortcut ladder), and one area of the lower swamp section (seems to trigger the closer you get to the entrance to The Great Hollow) had bad, but thankfully inconsistent stuttering, otherwise, it wasn't that bad.

Elthosian

Arcane
True challenge was blightown at 15fps. with toxic. which is what PS3 version did. Hell even years later when PC release was happening it still had that issue. and you needed top pc to push through limit and get 30fps other wise game would halve framerate.

4 games later and they've never made anything as harrowing as the Anor Londo roof approach, the Tomb of the Giants, or the Forest Covenant.

Well that is just result of bonefire mechanic breaking things and it is going down since Demon's Souls as this was true harrowing game back then when you only got bonfire IF you killed boss.

Oh boy, I still remember Latria, it wasn't even that complex, but it was pretty spooky, and I wasn't that good at action games back in 2009 so I ended up playing something else. Picked it up a couple of years later and managed to finish it, but it was still quite the experience.

I hope Bloodborne has some similar moments. FWIW, in the few hours I've put into it has felt like lamps are less frequent than in Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
There's challenging and then there's so infuriatingly frustrating that it loses its fun. I eventually got past the archers in Anor Londo by watching strategies on YouTube. I went to do an entirely different section of the game just to get that ring that makes you invisible just to get past those archers. Maybe I'm not the target audience, but I wouldn't want to play a game that's full of sections like that. I'll bet that focus groups (or maybe tracking achievements, or similar analysis) told the devs that more people would play their games if they didn't have sections like Anor Londo.

Tomb of the Giants was scary. I snuck my way very slowly through there, even after farming that glowing bug helmet. I'm fine with scary. I'm not really a fan of survival horror, but sections of a game that are scary can be fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom