Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This game had a lot of hype and following... there must be a ton of new popamole players that are still stuck on the Last Giant and flooding the forums on how the game is impossible...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
This game had a lot of hype and following... there must be a ton of new popamole players that are still stuck on the Last Giant and flooding the forums on how the game is impossible...

Seeing the Last Giant get nerfed is exceptionally retarded.

They should buff Ancient Dragon to compensate.

praetor

Arcane
for a second i had hope by "the last giant" the translator was confused and meant "giant lord" (easy fight, but on later NG cycles he pretty much one-shots. fuck that), but then i saw "mild mannered pate" in the same note.. :(

DragoFireheart

for a second i had hope by "the last giant" the translator was confused and meant "giant lord" (easy fight, but on later NG cycles he pretty much one-shots. fuck that), but then i saw "mild mannered pate" in the same note.. :(

Yep. The MLGS nerf is ok with me based on what I heard, but holy shit. The Last Giant needed a nerf?

fucking casuls need to git gud

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At least they didn't nerf the Covetous Demon. I'm glad to see Homing Soulmass get slightly buffed. Maybe it'll a spell worth using now?

Hobo Elf
tell me how they don't care about PvP :P

This has got to be the most PvP centric patch ever in a Souls game to date. A shame they didn't fix the one thing that needed fixing the most: the Blue Sentinels. :negative:

DragoFireheart

Look at this:

[–]Chilli_Axe 2 points 4 hours ago

I imagine that the Shrine of Amana will become the new Lost Izalith, is that we will be able to say "back at release, the mages in Shrine started shooting at you before you could see them, and they had insane, almost pixel-perfect tracking" in the same way Dark Souls vets can say "back in my days, all of the dino butts in Lost Izalith aggro'd on you as soon as you entered the area".

5-2 (aka Death by Giant)
Lost Izalith (aka Dino Butts)
Shrine of Amana (aka Amanda's Homing Missiles)

All three are wide open areas with some retarded bad-design gimmick that makes the area harder/more annoying for all the wrong reasons.

–]PattyIsSuperCool 4 points 3 hours ago

YES FINALLY THEY NERFED THE LAST GIANT

[–]Gvaz 4 points 1 hour ago

FINARY I CAN PLAY THE GAME

dies to all the other bosses

:troll:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
To be fair 5-2 isn't that huge if you know where to go. If you just want to get through the level then you don't even need to spend more than a minute wading through the bog. The swamp is really small and only appears larger than what it really is.

DragoFireheart

To be fair 5-2 isn't that huge if you know where to go. If you just want to get through the level then you don't even need to spend more than a minute wading through the bog. The swamp is really small and only appears larger than what it really is.

So bypassing 2/3s of a level and having to only deal with the goblins freaks is good design?

praetor

Arcane
This has got to be the most PvP centric patch ever in a Souls game to date. A shame they didn't fix the one thing that needed fixing the most: the Blue Sentinels. :negative:

definitely not true. there's what, two dozen nerfs? the DLC patch for DaS1 had more (and probably the first few patches, but i can't be arsed to find the changelogs and count them :P). just stop with this "they never cared about PvP" since it was only true for DeS

anyway, they nerfed some magix, but physical scaling is still hilariously underpowered (especially dex... f.e. weapons like Chaos Blade are beyond retarded: lowest damage of all the katanas, pretty much same range and stamina consumption, plus it damages the user. at least in DaS1 it was the most damaging with better range than anything but the WP, here... just stupid balancing) so non-scaling/infused weapons are still pretty much the best

Hobo Elf

Arcane

So bypassing 2/3s of a level and having to only deal with the goblins freaks is good design?

Despite being an open ended level there is a clear linear path from beginning to end, but you can take little excursions if you want some cool loot. I wouldn't consider it skipping 2/3's of the level if you don't map out the whole area.

Besides the goblins are creepy in a cute way. Or cute in a creepy way.

More patch notes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/..._103_calibration_104_announced_for_april_8th/

• Changed the "heavy" throwing animation for Corrosive Urns. Reduced corrosive damage to items when hit.

• Increase in durability on Twin Blade Weapon / Decreased their durability degradation.
  • Moonlight Greatsword can no longer be enchanted and buffed. Attack animation has been slowed / adjusted.

• The upward adjustment weight, the degree of toughness, the defense of "large helmet of Gerumu warrior" Armor (Thanks Google Translate. I have no idea what a Gerumu is).

• Reduced damage from the Ring of Thorns.

• Reduced damage from the Ring of the Old Sun

• Damage will not decrease for every enemy that Soul Spear pieces trough.

• Increase in casting time and decrease of damage for Soul Greatsword

• Upward adjustment of the bullet speed "lump of Seoul to be tracked" magic "crystal mass of Seoul to be tracked", and a lower adjustment of stamina take the amount of darkness surgery "those who follow" (Unsure of the horrible Google Translate)

• The downward adjustment of the amount of damage "torrent of Seoul" magic (I'm guessing a nerf in Soul Geyser or Soul Vortex)

• Casting speed on recovery spells being lengthened.

• Increased casting time and decreased damage for Wrath of Gods

• Decrease in damage and increase in casting time for all Fire Storm-esque pyromancies. Might also include a decrease in damage for Forbidden Sun.

• Increased defense for Lucatiel, Benhart, and Manscorpion Tark (one other NPC mentioned).

• The downward adjustment of the HP enemy "rupture the Dead" (???)

• Female mages in Shrine Of Amana receiving nerf in both damage and their spell's tracking ability.

• Fire Lizards in Forest of Fallen Giants will not spit fire in slower intervals.

• Downward adjustment period the occurrence of the shock wave of attack during downswing enemy of "backpack hammer" (???)

• The Last Giant now does even less damage to players and Well-Mannered Pate.

• The Lost Sinner now has less HP and does less damage.

• Royal Rat Authority now has less HP and does less damage

• Duke's Dear Freja's laser breath now does less damage.

• Enemies around Sinner's Rise now do less damage

• Shadow Men in the Flexile Senty's Boss area in NG+ now do less damage
well no shit From is patching their game who would fucking gues. probably by patch 1.06 PvP will be as balanced as is DS1 :troll:

Having fun with Str/Faith build. With Velstad weapon infused in dark i am killing those big knights with two hits in Dragons Shrine. I can also buff it with Sunlight Blade... nice:thumbsup:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, what's the Kool Kids Konsensus on Dark Souls 2 so far?

I think it's a bigger game that provides many upgrades, but isn't as concise, impressive and well-thought as Dark Souls 1. Everything is bigger, more varied and numerous, but they aren't as memmorable as the original game. I.e., there are way more bosses than on DaS 1, but on the other hand, they are too similar (guy with big weapon that you rotate), feel disconnected from the lore, and some are simply shitty. Same way, there are way more areas, but the are design is weaker and there's nothing memmorable like Sen's Fortress. And while NG+ adds replayability, I have the feeling that the game itself is less replayable than DaS1, since the Soul Vessel removes the need of creating a new character.

My biggest grudge is how boring some enemies are. DaS and DeS had enemies that were always cool to fight, like the Dark Knights and the Red-Eyed Knights. DaS 2 has some of these, but they are extremely rare (like the 3 Drake Shrine Warriors and Horse Knight Statues in the game), while boring enemies come in hordes. And even supposedly impressive enemies, like the dragons, are a cakewalk when you understand them. My brother threw 5 Bonfire Ascetics on Dragon Aerie to farm twinkling titanite and petrified dragon bone, and he was able to kill all the dragons with ease.

All and all it is a great game, but doesn't reach the heights of Dark Souls 1... Almost like the change from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2, but I feel that the gap here is a bit larger.

DragoFireheart

I think it's a bigger game that provides many upgrades, but isn't as concise, impressive and well-thought as Dark Souls 1. Everything is bigger, more varied and numerous, but they aren't as memmorable as the original game. I.e., there are way more bosses than on DaS 1, but on the other hand, they are too similar (guy with big weapon that you rotate), feel disconnected from the lore, and some are simply shitty. Same way, there are way more areas, but the are design is weaker and there's nothing memmorable like Sen's Fortress. And while NG+ adds replayability, I have the feeling that the game itself is less replayable than DaS1, since the Soul Vessel removes the need of creating a new character.

My biggest grudge is how boring some enemies are. DaS and DeS had enemies that were always cool to fight, like the Dark Knights and the Red-Eyed Knights. DaS 2 has some of these, but they are extremely rare (like the 3 Drake Shrine Warriors and Horse Knight Statues in the game), while boring enemies come in hordes. And even supposedly impressive enemies, like the dragons, are a cakewalk when you understand them. My brother threw 5 Bonfire Ascetics on Dragon Aerie to farm twinkling titanite and petrified dragon bone, and he was able to kill all the dragons with ease.

All and all it is a great game, but doesn't reach the heights of Dark Souls 1... Almost like the change from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2, but I feel that the gap here is a bit larger.

It felt more like going from Demon's Souls to Demon's Souls 2. Most Demon's Souls bosses are also unforgettable.

praetor

Arcane
don't rush me! i will... first i need to finish the damn sorcery build, then my Str/Fth Torgo, and only then can i be worthy of creating Master Manos the hexer

felipepepe
i agree. it could've been the best if they delivered what was promised (overall more open/less linear progress: bullshit, more atmospheric, easier first half that could be skipped and more action packed 2nd half: mostly bullshit, improved awesome lighting: bullshit, whole hidden levels like PW: moslty bullshit, cool, sad fights like Sif: bullshit), and they didn't completely fuck up the pace with the constant warping to Fagjula, nonsensical level progression, throwing around bosses like candy, fucking up the balance (well, that was expected :)), didn't think through how some seemingly "inoquous" mechanics would synergise and deliver some truly shittastic stuff, and do some cheap stuff for cheapness sake. oh, and the lore seems at times lolrandom, at others a forced "how can we connect this to DaS1"... it's just unconvincing

and the bosses... oh, man what a snoozefest. DeS were more gimmicky so they were mostly only interesting the first 1-2 times, but most of the bosses in DaS2 range from shit to forgettable meh, there's a few that are solid and only one was truly fun (for me). such a massive disappointment

DaS1 is definitely head and shoulders the best in the series. i felt DeS was more "memorable" than DaS2, but the latter is definitely the better game

i think it did not live up to its retarded high expectations. people expected that next game will be fucking 11/10 after DS1 was strong 9/10 and the leap in quality will be as big between DS1 and DS2 as was between Des and DS1. And thats simply not possible with current gen and with Miyazaki leaving the team. There are retarded design decisions and shitty enemies/bosses but which Souls game did not have that?

There are many cool details they added to game that are not big changes but makes me happy whenever i find them. Shit like Disc Chimney, Mace of Incolent, Blue Flame, Santiers Spear or selfbuffing boss weapons or Mirror Knight Shield, spells like Warmth or Dead Again. Just the sheer amount of different builds for Pve where you dont give a fuck about meta makes the replayability big.

For example i fucking hate that big weapons like Crypt Black Sword changes their attack directions even with lock on if you move the left stick. I miss so many times because of that shit in PvE. At the same time changing your attack direction at the last moment in PvP gave me so many free hits :lol:

Most Demon's Souls bosses are also unforgettable

most Demons Soul bosses are shitt, easy and with gimmick mechanic. what makes Des great are lore, atmposhpere, and locations like Latria or Boletaria Palace.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Going by half the bloodstains I see, most of the deaths by falling are preceded by the person stopping atop a cliff for a few seconds, contemplating their lives and launching themself off the edge for no clear reason, so I'm not really sure.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Going by half the bloodstains I see, most of the deaths by falling are preceded by the person stopping atop a cliff for a few seconds, contemplating their lives and launching themself off the edge for no clear reason, so I'm not really sure.

Clearly first signs of ITZ happening

the_happening01.jpg

Did they patch that bug with the Drangleic Castle door?
I btw also found out that if you have accumulated 1 million souls (memory), you can just skip fighting the 4 great souls. Cool.

praetor

Arcane
yeah, i really don't understand most of the bloodstains. half the time i expect a hidden enemy to jump me, then i see there's nothing there (not even in NG+). wtf? just look at the plethora of random suicidal bloodstains in Majula. shit's retarded

so... favourite bosses and locations so far?

The Lost Bastille was a great level (with shitty enemies :( ), as was the Cardinal Tower part of the Forest, with honourable mentions going to Copse, Earthen Peak and Tseldora (side-note: i really don't understand people who said DaS2 doesn't decline after the half-point like DaS1...), as for bosses... Lost Sinner

DragoFireheart

It's amazing how many times I too have seen this. People want to commit suicide but not in the real world. Dark Souls allows them that choice.

DragoFireheart

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom