Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Going by half the bloodstains I see, most of the deaths by falling are preceded by the person stopping atop a cliff for a few seconds, contemplating their lives and launching themself off the edge for no clear reason, so I'm not really sure.

It's amazing how many times I too have seen this. People want to commit suicide but not in the real world. Dark Souls allows them that choice.
I noticed it happen a couple of times with some of the Bell guardians who got summoned whenever I try to go through Belfry Luna. Personal thoughts on it are the guy who got summoned did so by accident, didn't actually want to stick to it, and so just jumped off the ledge because dying as a grey phantom incurs no penalties whatsoever.

Heard it happens alot with the Rat covenant as well; players essentially killing themselves because they can't be fucked going through a retarded maze.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Heard it happens alot with the Rat covenant as well; players essentially killing themselves because they can't be fucked going through a retarded maze.

Not an issue from this Brodent: I ambush you on sight. The maze is for show and to amuse me.

Gentle Player

Arcane
I think DS2 has the best mechanics in the series, but it's rendered pointless when the overall design is weak (weakest of all the games, in my opinion).

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
my thoughts are that when I first played DS it was almost instant love. This is more like getting back with an old bf, and it's good but it's not the same. Maybe it's his new haircut, or his aftershave has changed. Whatever, you know in your heart it can't be like it was, and it's time to get a replacement

DragoFireheart

I love the PvP changes, but the PvE ones are retarded. Nerfing the Sinner? Freja? Sigh.

The only speculation I can think of:

Last Giant: first boss, shouldn't be one-shotting players.

Lost Sinner: Makes keeping the NPC alive easier (note that NPCs got buffed).

Royal Rat Authority: The hit box on this boss is retarded. I can be under him and behind him but if he does he crazy lunge attack he still hits me.

Duke's Dear Freja's: Dunno about this one.

Kanedias

Savant
This is a better translation of the patch notes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22i1y3/online_regulation_patch_v104_fully_translated/

Apparently the nerf to WoG is just in its active frames. Yesterday I was sure I rolled through it perfectly and I still took damage, I guess that it had too much of a lingering hitbox and they're fixing that so you can roll dodge it like the Dark Souls 1 WoG. As for Soul Greatsword, which didn't need a nerf, I don't know, but some people are saying that it's not translated correctly and that it's getting a hitbox change like WoG, not a nerf to casting speed.

DragoFireheart

So it looks like you can still buff MLGS, but you can no longer infuse it.

EDIT:

[–]FestusM 134 points 4 hours ago

Best thing about this patch is that it means each one of us has the right to say to players later on, "Yeah it's tough, but you should have seen it pre-patch." I was a little late to the Dark Souls party so I never got to do this with DkS1. When PC players complain about the Shrine of Amana, we get to say, "Ah yes my child, but count yourself lucky you never had to deal with it pre-patch." And then we can float away on a cloud of our own deliciously sweet farts.

Take that PC master race fuckers! :troll:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Honestly the NPCs needed a buff of some form. I wish they would upgrade their equipment if you kept bringing them to bosses so there would be a natural progression but their biggest problem is their AI. Lucatiel has a huge amount of HP so she doesn't need too much help staying alive but she almost never uses her shield from my experience and her attacks are so weak. Well at least they are putting a bandage over it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So, same thing as the consoles, but better texture & 60 FPS... Really dumb move on From Software's side, they should have kept the PC version as in those trailers. Consolefags would cry, but then make a next-gen version or whatever.

Durante, mod in the lighting system from the trailers, plox.

The trailer version was never a real development branch, it was just a tech demo. If they wanted to make the whole game in this quality, they'd have required probably another 6-12 months dev time.

DragoFireheart

Yep, just as I thought about Last Giant:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22i1y3/online_regulation_patch_v104_fully_translated/

[–]pinapsmg 5 points 3 hours ago

come on, nerfing the last giant, really???

[–]nicholasethan 11 points 3 hours ago

I thought the same thing, haha. Maybe its for new players to the series.. He is most people's first boss, and if you've gotten to 50% Hollowing then he can OHKO most people with basically any attack. I'm not saying he's hard, but I can see him posing a problem if you're really new.

[–]Lycanthoth 4 points 1 hour ago

Not even 50% hollowing. If you start as the Swordsman he can 1 hit kill you even when you're human.

EDIT:

[–]SonofLelith 9 points 6 hours ago

Yeah, you make sense. I have a friend that enjoyed the hell out of DS1, but has quit playing DS2 because of the 1HKO by the last giant. He has tried several times(20-30) and now it has actually stopped him from playing. So, I can kinda see the point with the first boss.

I hope that From will keep their games such as they have been now for a few years. It is, after all, what separates them from the bland crowd of other developers.

But I totally agree that deterring players from getting into the game is a bad move. Just as long as they up it for every NG+ and/or bonfire intensity.

:what:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The trailer version was never a real development branch, it was just a tech demo. If they wanted to make the whole game in this quality, they'd have required probably another 6-12 months dev time.
Nonsense, they showed many areas of the game with that level of quality in the trailers. We know it was redone to run on consoles smoothly, but giving PC players the console version instead of the originally intended one is bullshit. From Softwarre really shot their foot here.

Even the guy playing in the video spend the first 5 minutes checking to see if the game s like the trailers, then get dissapointed it isn't. The game looks gorgeous, but From Software itself showed us a much better looking game, so of course people will get dissapointed.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I understand the first boss being able to one hit people being a bit bad but how do you fail that much? You can summon other people and even then there's still Pate.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I love the PvP changes, but the PvE ones are retarded. Nerfing the Sinner? Freja? Sigh.

The only speculation I can think of:

Last Giant: first boss, shouldn't be one-shotting players.

Royal Rat Authority: The hit box on this boss is retarded. I can be under him and behind him but if he does he crazy lunge attack he still hits me.
Agreed with these, Last Giant has some dodgy hitboxes on the stomp attack too. There are loads of bosses than can oneshot you in DS2, which feels cheap a lot of the time - it's not like it would suddenly become a pussy casual game if half the bosses killed you in one hit instead of two.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Nonsense, they showed many areas of the game with that level of quality in the trailers. We know it was redone to run on consoles smoothly, but giving PC players the console version instead of the originally intended one is bullshit. From Softwarre really shot their foot here.

You're not gonna break down now and start crying, like a woman?

DragoFireheart

Well I understand the first boss being able to one hit people being a bit bad but how do you fail that much?

Granted, I died a couple times because I was still new to Last Giant and being bad/learning the mechanics but...

He beat Dark Souls 1 but failed against Last Giant 30 times. Shield noob detected. Even with him one-shotting you shouldn't be dying that much to Last Giant...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You're not gonna break down now and start crying, like a woman?
Stop being a fanboy and hold the developer responsible for shitty decisions.

There are loads of bosses than can oneshot you in DS2, which feels cheap a lot of the time - it's not like it would suddenly become a pussy casual game if half the bosses killed you in one hit instead of two.
Exactly. Oneshot bosses are some of the worst part of DaS2. They encourage coward strategies and exploits. IMHO the best bosses in this game are the oes with more than one enemy, that force you to adapt all the time, not just learn a pattern and circle around waiting for an oppening; that's why the Belfry Gargoles is so damn awesome.

DragoFireheart

Exactly. Oneshot bosses are some of the worst part of DaS2. They encourage coward strategies and exploits. IMHO the best bosses in this game are the oes with more than one enemy, that force you to adapt all the time, not just learn a pattern and circle around waiting for an oppening; that's why the Belfry Gargoles is so damn awesome.

Belfry Gargoyles, Ruin Sentinels, Royal Rat Vanguard are all pretty cool fights because of this.

But you have to admit that dying 30 times to The Last Giant is pretty "git gud" worthy...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
IMHO the multiple enemy bosses were far more unfair than any OHKO boss, given the fact that you are much more handicapped by having more than one enemy at a time.

EDIT: Royal Rat Vanguard is the sole exception to this, because the rats are not heavy-hitting long-reaching assholes like Ruin Sentinels, Darklurker or Gargoyles, but a swarm of weak short-ranged enemies with a trick to the fight in that you need to hit the leader rat. That was a good boss.

Kanedias

Savant
Here's the Dark Souls 2 PC quick look in Youtube, since the Giantbomb link wasn't working for me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lol met my first MULEfag. Too bad I didn't take note on his name so I could report him, but good lord can you be even more obvious when you invade a SL32 character and use Forbidden Sun against him :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom