Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
$10 says his agility is 100+.

praetor

Arcane
cG1cMTf.gif

ratbros 4 lyfe

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love Dave's videos they are not as "whatsup yall" as ENB or a wordy and dramatic as Vaati's but they are very well done with some good conclusions based on lore and no so much fan speculation

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Vaati videos are really lame nowadays... as soon as the game is released the guy puts up a video "full spoiler guide to best class & equipments!"... FFS, he's killing that special feeling of playing the game for the first time.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well to be honest he doesn't do playthroughs and he is more into lore related stuff sohe had to wait a couple of weeks till the mayority of players actualy finished the game to get started on all the speculation and lore videos

Gentle Player

Arcane
Vaati videos are really lame nowadays... as soon as the game is released the guy puts up a video "full spoiler guide to best class & equipments!"... FFS, he's killing that special feeling of playing the game for the first time.

I've not watched it, but to be fair it does say "full spoiler guide" and nobody is forcing new players to watch it. Didn't the collector's edition come with a guidebook of its own anyway?

80Maxwell08

Arcane

I've not watched it, but to be fair it does say "full spoiler guide" and nobody is forcing new players to watch it. Didn't the collector's edition come with a guidebook of its own anyway?
Well I just went through my collector's edition and there's no guidebook.

Gentle Player

Arcane

Ah, nevermind then. I only ordered the standard edition myself, as by the time I got round to it the collector's had sold out (though I will get it for PC, if possible). I did hear that some edition or other came with a guidebook - I know that my "Black Phantom" edition of Demon's Souls had one -, but perhaps I dreamt it. Regardless, my point still stands: there will always be youtube videos spoiling everything for each and every game upon release. The best course of action is to just not watch it until after a first playthrough, and if they do watch it and spoil themselves then more the pity for them.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Ah, nevermind then. I only ordered the standard edition myself, as by the time I got round to it the collector's had sold out (though I will get it for PC, if possible). I did hear that some edition or other came with a guidebook - I know that my "Black Phantom" edition of Demon's Souls had one -, but perhaps I dreamt it. Regardless, my point still stands: there will always be youtube videos spoiling everything for each and every game upon release. The best course of action is to just not watch it until after a first playthrough, and if they do watch it and spoil themselves then more the pity for them.
Yep. I watched videos of Demon's and Dark souls before I played them and now that I went in blind with Dark Souls 2 I wish I went in blind with the others as well.

praetor

Arcane

not only that, it's also his attitude. at first he was a lovable fanboy, maybe a bit too fanboyish but still only a fanboy, but ever since DaS2 the dude sounds more like a PR marketing plant. his videos are more "commercials" than actual commercials and trailers

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
:rage:

That's what I get for not having time to play the game for a few days. I completely forgot about the contraption before Heide's tower. And after finishing Sinner's Rise I went to Shaded Woods where I kept getting my ass kicked after the 3rd bonfire (behind the misty wood). And down under the rats also mitigated my progress. Now I see I could've gone elsewhere long ago...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Just had a nice chat with a friend of mine who understands programing way better than me and he confirmed that based on what we have seen so far, that the torches retail some of the ability to draw shadows but the sconces and fire based elements like bonfires or the fire columns on the salamander den FROM must have used the CES lighting for a few areas like cardinal tower, huntsman, aldias and dragon aerie (which probably were some of the earliest finished areas) but gutted the system and never got around to adding the gameplay aspect of the torches to the later levels like undead crypt or iron keep....
So yeah the CES torch system is dead and buried so there is literaly no hope of getting it back since the light source designs never followed suit on the later levels
On the other hand he says that getting an adapted ENB filter for rising the contrast and giving the game that calid golden filter is very doable and we should be seeing that pretty soon after release so there it is

LivingOne

Savant
The new Dark Souls 2 title update, simply named update 1.03, is now available for download in Japan and Asia on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Western gamers will be able to get the update in just a few days, as Bandai Namco confirmed it will become available this Friday on all formats.

The new Dark Souls 2 update is going to bring several changes into the game. Some of the bosses have received some changes as well as The Wrath Of The Gods miracle and more.

Here are the full patch notes:

MULTIPLAYER
-Failing to create Multiplayer session no longer disables use of online items, such as White Soapstone.
-Players now receive a small portion of Humanity after successfully assisting in a Multiplayer session instead of regaining full Humanity.
-Starting boss fight with the Looking Glass Knight while summoning other players no longer cancels the summoning process.
-Fixed an issue that prevented some bloodstains, illusions, and messages from being displayed.
-Fixed an issue where “Unable to participate in Multiplayer Session” could constantly appear.
-Fixed some instances where the portrait of the person you were summoning was different than the actual character.
-You will no longer be able to take off Covenant rings while being summoned.
-Fixed an issue that would cause some summoned players to fall through the ground at Earthen Peak.

GAME MENU / INTERFACE / CONTROLS
-Optimized Start Menu and Bonfire Menu performance.
-Trophy icon for “Holder of the Fort” has been fixed.
-Controller now vibrates when blocking an attack

OTHER FIXES:
-Bug involving Drangleic Castle door not opening has been fixed.
-Fixed an issue that would cause Souls to be lost upon death with the Ring of Life Protection equipped.
-Fixed an issue that caused some players to fall through elevators while using Binoculars and Magic simultaneously.
-Fixed an issue causing some enemies being hit by arrows at long distances receive 0 damage.
-Fixed an issue preventing the Brotherhood of Blood duels from starting properly.
-Added a message for players that displays after entering the coffin in Things Betwixt
-Fixed an issue where all of the items and objects in an area would reset (Without using a Bonfire Ascetic).
-Fixed an issue that didn’t unlock some items from vendors on 2nd and beyond playthrough.
-Fixed an issue causing the requirements for the Brotherhood of Blood Covenant be 50 too high.
-Licia’s conditions for moving have been optimized.

http://gamersyndrome.com/2014/news/...w-available-in-japan-asia-friday-in-the-west/

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

not only that, it's also his attitude. at first he was a lovable fanboy, maybe a bit too fanboyish but still only a fanboy, but ever since DaS2 the dude sounds more like a PR marketing plant. his videos are more "commercials" than actual commercials and trailers
Even his analysis videos seem really half-hearted now, probably due to the game's lore being considerably more shallow than the first game's. Most of them are just made up of extremely vague assumptions, wild conjecture, and at some points literally just telling the viewer that any horse-shit they make up is probably just as valid as his prose-ridden admittance that these levels have no meaty backstory behind it and as a consequence is shallow as fuck to go through.

Reminds me of HeirOfCarthage and his Rome II videos, where he constantly has to assure the viewers in every video that he is actually having fun.

praetor

Arcane
Just had a nice chat with a friend of mine who understands programing way better than me and he confirmed that based on what we have seen so far, that the torches retail some of the ability to draw shadows but the sconces and fire based elements like bonfires or the fire columns on the salamander den FROM must have used the CES lighting for a few areas like cardinal tower, huntsman, aldias and dragon aerie (which probably were some of the earliest finished areas) but gutted the system and never got around to adding the gameplay aspect of the torches to the later levels like undead crypt or iron keep....

why would every area in the game even need "the gameplay aspect of the torches". wtf would you even do with torches in a lava/fire filled location? make the lighting fully dynamic and suddenly you can't see shit in the crypt without a light source so i don't know what you're talking about. it's that the game is full of static lightmaps (or whatever) instead of the fully dynamic lighting it was designed around, so everything looks like shit since they had to scale it down and redesign and put shitoads of badly tiled low res textures that makes it look like the Quake 1 engine. the only dynamic sources are torches, bonfires and 1-2 other exceptions (chariot boss, nashandra glowing hand, maybe a few others), not even the scones you light with torches... A was advertised, B we got. it's bullshit and all these excuses by "lol graphicswhore" fags (it's not just the graphics, but it's the most apparent and in this case "t3h grafixx" actually had an impact on gameplay so fuck off) "we didn't know it played like shit on consoles" a couple of months before release is retarded and it's behaviour on par with the worst in the industry. i used to be a fanboy, but after this flop...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Indeed, raise just a bit of the brightness level, and you'll see that the distant walls have fugly & small textures, that clearly were not intended to be seen.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Still waiting to play further until the update comes live. I dont want to be stuck on my game due to a bug..

Kanedias

Savant
Ah I ended up deleting the post because I remembered I had already posted it some time ago so it was nothing new.

Anyways what I was trying to say is that Dark Souls 1 offered you some sort of "apparent" storyline that gave you a sense of direction, and investigating the lore made you able to go beyond it. This game still has a deep lore/storyline, in my opinion, but there's no "apparent" storyline. When you start the game, blind, you feel a terrible lack of direction, especially at the start of the game. You don't have a Frampt or Oscar, you just have an intro that talks about the undead curse, and then the Emerald Herald who brings the monarch stuff "out of nowhere" and everything feels very aimless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom