Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

dunno lah

Arcane
King Wannabe Allant was not a "YES, I WON!" final boss though.
But you just beated Fake King Allant 5 minutes before it. The real one is there more as a plot device than a real boss.

Yeah, sorry. I was just being pedantic for fun. ;)

BTW, do you lose SL for dying as an invader in DaS2?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
don't know what's so wrong with Capra
It's a fight made to be won by exploit. Start fight, dogde and run to the stars, kill dogs, then keep jumping on Capra's head. Seriously, it's really bad design-wise.
On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, once you know what you're doing, it's quite rewarding to dance with him, avoiding his blows or blocking, and defeat him in melee without even touching the stairs. The 'exploit' is not mandatory.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not mandatory, but enforced by the design. If the fight had no dogs or stairs, it would be better. Or if it didn't have stairs, but had enough room for you to handle the dogs and then focus on the boss...

Throwing a insane difficulty spike + a chance for a cheap exploit at the same time is like begging for people to exploit it...

praetor

Arcane
On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, once you know what you're doing, it's quite rewarding to dance with him, avoiding his blows or blocking, and defeat him in melee without even touching the stairs. The 'exploit' is not mandatory.

i agree. the stairs are the for shit-tier players like Vaarna. just like the same thing can be applied to Taurus. it's not a shitty, single-tactic boss like BoC or Ancient Dragon

but i also agree with felipe that a slightly bigger room to manoeuvre and no stairs would've been better :P

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Why do you constantly keep bitching about the game, but play it regardless praetor? Really, I see nothing but negative posts by you ITT. :P And the cheap insults to users dont make it better.

Gozma

Arcane
I think Capra was supposed to be a "do you understand poise yet?" check, 'cause if you can poise hits from the dogs it's trivial.

praetor

Arcane
Why do you constantly keep bitching about the game, but play it regardless praetor? Really, I see nothing but negative posts by you ITT. :P And the cheap insults to users dont make it better.

why can't you read? seriously, i've written multiple times it's a good/great game, just not as good as the predecessor, so why the fuck wouldn't i play it? and it's better to play now because sooner or later everybody will figure out how utterly moronic the SM thing is and just abandon ship (unless it gets patched *fingers crossed*). insults to users? you mean the sad, depressed aspie Vaarna? i don't insult others lightly, intense displays of stupidity or blatant spread of misinformation are required, and he earned it with flying colours

EDIT:
I think Capra was supposed to be a "do you understand poise yet?" check, 'cause if you can poise hits from the dogs it's trivial.

on one hand i agree, on the other hand it's situated waaaay too early for the average new player to have anything approaching decent poise (yeah, the Wolf ring is an easy and early thing, but how many have got it pre-Capra without online help/advice?). by that time the only thing with poise is random armour drops from hollows/balders and the chain set from the undead merchant (again, there's other shit you can find pre-capra but, again, first-time, internet etc...)

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I actually really liked the skeleton lords fight. The enemies being summoned when they die was a neat trick and it was early on so it didn't need to be absurdly hard. I thought it was much better than the half a dozen giant bosses who just use melee attacks.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I rather deal with this than with the stupidly broken backstab system from Dark Souls 1.

Anything is better than the retarded backstab system from DK1. Entire matches boil down to fucking backstab fishing.

DragoFireheart

I actually really liked the skeleton lords fight. The enemies being summoned when they die was a neat trick and it was early on so it didn't need to be absurdly hard. I thought it was much better than the half a dozen giant bosses who just use melee attacks.

Boss fights I like from Dark Souls 2:

Executioner's Chariot: Having to go from spot to spot while Skeletons harassed you made for a fun puzzle fight. The actual boss is simple but the process of getting to him is fun.

Looking Glass Knight NG+: Summoning other players reminds me of the Arch Demon of World 3 in Demon's Souls. Cool concept.

The Skeleton Lords: What 80Maxwell08 said.

Belfry Gargoyles / Ruin Sentinels Yahim, Ricce and Alessia / Darklurker: Mutiple enemy fights are always fun and these are the ones I enjoyed the most. And no Hobo Elf they did not get in each others way.

Royal Rat Vanguard: Trying to survive the swarm before you could even attack the boss was a interesting battle of attrition fight. You can't just mindlessly attack the rats because they'll just gang up on you: you sorta have to herd them so they don't overwhelm you. This was a fight where I felt using the environment (statues and clogging the rats together) to be an example of good design.

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
^yeah, by "casters" (but even pure casters are way better and more viable than they were in DaS1) i meant buff builds, bad choice of words on my part. nothing in the league of Dark bead? you mean to say shit like Great Resonant Soul and Forbidden Sun don't exist in your copy of the game? does the Affinity spell also not exist (slightly weaker pursuers that tracks a bit less, although this time there's no silver talisman)? powerstanced mundane avelyns? "you can mitigate a lot of damage, you just have to get decent defences" is barely different than "git gud" and just means playing every time with the exact same set-up (GMB, and the best resistance armour + rings... so like pre-dwgr-nerf DaS1 where the best setup [giants+mom] was used by almost everyone), just give it time for the brokenness of it to catch up in the community and then you'll see almost everyone sport the same shit. yeah, just like in DaS1

come on, the game is chock-full of broken shit, just like the previous 2. and the netcode is just as shit (if not more so. just everyone's info: the game is still P2P, dedicated servers are only for matchmaking and news/info and other statistics), and the soul memory matchmaking is the stupidest idea (ok, not the idea, but the implementation) they had since they started as a company.

and i know the "tricks" to get the shit on lava. i had something like 700-800 flame defence (quarz ring, sweat, fire def armour, rolled through water pots, chugged estus and lifegems, and still could barely get chaos storm before i died) and still kicked the bucket

It doesn't mean playing with the same setup. No one has my setup and I have epic defenses. The issue is that there are like two tiers in PvP now, and it's really annoying.

With my build, I fight other buff builds with high defenses, and they're really good fights. We don't do too much damage to each other, fights last reasonably long and there's time for tactics. Now if someone appears and he doesn't have GMB and super elemental resistant armor, I can kill him in literally 3 hits, while they need oh so many hits in order to kill me.

Remember my Ruler Sword? They nonsensically stealth buffed it last patch. It does 196+177 physical damage and 196+147 dark damage now. You would think I 3 shot everyone but this is not the case. Right now, the PvP meta has this issue where both some weapon's damage and defenses are OP, so they counteract each other, but it causes everyone without either of these to be at a gross disadvantage.

P.S.: Affinity, Forbidden Sun and Great Resonant Soul are nowhere near Dark Bead. They're much, much easier to dodge, Affinity is much worse than Homing Soulmass, Resonant Soul is easily avoided because it has 0 tracking, and Forbidden Sun is an one trick pony deal that doesn't do that much damage, takes 3 slots, and has at most 2-3 casts.

DragoFireheart

P.S.: Affinity, Forbidden Sun and Great Resonant Soul are nowhere near Dark Bead. They're much, much easier to dodge, Affinity is much worse than Homing Soulmass, Resonant Soul is easily avoided because it has 0 tracking, and Forbidden Sun is an one trick pony deal that doesn't do that much damage, takes 3 slots, and has at most 2-3 casts.

GRS is extremely good for punishing someone. For example, if you use Bat Staff to Dark Fog them beforehand (which is nearly unavoidable) you then pressure them while the poison ticks away: if they stop to try and heal the poison, GRS them. If they somehow dodge that, you Dark Fog them again. If they don't heal the poison, you get a free 1k damage on them and can then Dark Fog them again after it's done.

Idiots that spam GRS make GRS bad. People that slam a GRS into your face if you make a mistake will kick the shit out of you. This is on top of excellent buffs that Hexes have.

EDIT: Even better with the Bat Staff is you can also use it to cast Dark Weapon on your weapon if you don't like Resonant Weapon for w/e reason.

EDIT2: I'm not that good at PvP and even I have had great success with Bat Fog and GRS usage. I use a Dark Dagger for when they want to get close to encourage them to not just get in my face to prevent my GRS usage. People really do panic from Bat Fog.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
It doesn't mean playing with the same setup. No one has my setup and I have epic defenses. The issue is that there are like two tiers in PvP now, and it's really annoying.

With my build, I fight other buff builds with high defenses, and they're really good fights. We don't do too much damage to each other, fights last reasonably long and there's time for tactics. Now if someone appears and he doesn't have GMB and super elemental resistant armor, I can kill him in literally 3 hits, while they need oh so many hits in order to kill me.

Remember my Ruler Sword? They nonsensically stealth buffed it last patch. It does 196+177 physical damage and 196+147 dark damage now. You would think I 3 shot everyone but this is not the case. Right now, the PvP meta has this issue where both some weapon's damage and defenses are OP, so they counteract each other, but it causes everyone without either of these to be at a gross disadvantage.

give it time, it wasn't all flipping giant moms in the first month of DaS1 PvP, either. once all the numbers are crunched, prepare to fight the same cookie cutter builds where everybody buffs with GMB + something else and the same(ish) armour set ups will be as prevalent as the DaS1/DeS ones (to the point that GMB is pretty much the new Second Chance, so if you don't have it you're gimping yourself considerably). it's how the Souls meta works

p.s. what was your problem with dodging dark bead? it was bullshit only if somebody managed to score a hit from point blank, and the casting speed is on par if not slower than FS/GRS

Belfry Gargoyles / Ruin Sentinels Yahim, Ricce and Alessia / Darklurker: Mutiple enemy fights are always fun and these are the ones I enjoyed the most. And no praetor they did not get in each others way.

huh? where did i say or even imply something like that?

praetor

Arcane
so you were basically trying to troll by just making up stuff? and i guess you thought that was funny? ooookaaaay...

DragoFireheart

so you were basically trying to troll by just making up stuff? and i guess you thought that was funny? ooookaaaay...

nvm, it was Hobo saying that, not you. For some reason I incorrectly remembered you saying that.

EDIT:
give it time, it wasn't all flipping giant moms in the first month of DaS1 PvP, either. once all the numbers are crunched, prepare to fight the same cookie cutter builds where everybody buffs with GMB + something else and the same(ish) armour set ups will be as prevalent as the DaS1/DeS ones (to the point that GMB is pretty much the new Second Chance, so if you don't have it you're gimping yourself considerably). it's how the Souls meta works

Bat Fog will be the new meta with GRS and Res Weapon being used as well. Since you have 30 faith you can use GMB as well.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Definitely one of my favorite fights. The only way to make it even better would be if they'd give you an attachable chainsaw before the boss fight.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Definitely one of my favorite fights. The only way to make it even better would be if they'd give you an attachable chainsaw before the boss fight.
Or just a straight-up chainsaw weapon. They could call it The Great Communicator.

DragoFireheart

GameFAGs retardation (aka, trolling)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/69026142

Dagnoth
Posted 4/14/2014 10:09:35 AM
message detail

Let me preface what I am about to say by saying that I am a devote Christian and firm believer in both creationism and the miracles the lord performs every day. If this in any way upsets or confuses you, just leave the topic right now.

This was my first souls game. I enjoy playing video games, especially old-fashioned and difficult games. When I made my character, I picked the cleric and set off. I was a bit uncomfortable with the satanic themes in the game at first, and what appeared to be the glorification of demons, but I've learned to cope with this, as it is the folly of many games.

I'm enjoying my romp, getting to know the mechanics, and then I make my way to majula. I look around and finally notice a woman clad in green, and learn she is how I am to level up. When I arrive ate the level up screen, I am immediately hit by a brutish, uncouth profile of people of faith;

4 intelligence.

This implies that men and women of god are unintelligent, and that belief in the good book's teachings are unintelligent.

Just because this game is "hard" or, "old fashioned", doesn't mean it should be able to get away with this crap. Bio shock didn't. Ocarina of time didn't. This little niche series shouldn't get away with it either.

So, this means:

high faith and low int = christian cleric child molester dude holier than thou.
low faith and high int = atheistard Communist sorcerer science man.
high faith and high int = evil religious master mind jew.
any amount of faith and int = you can burn shit, but the smarter and/or more faithful you are the better you are at burning shit aka Nazis / Inquisitions burn the witches or jews.

praetor

Arcane
that's some pretty good trolling. the dude knows how to hit the right chords to rile people up. 4/5 (-1 point for unoriginality)

DragoFireheart

that's some pretty good trolling. the dude knows how to hit the right chords to rile people up. 4/5 (-1 point for unoriginality)

The response are exceptionally retarded and only further prove how good of a troll it was.

I need a good weapon for my Bat Fog build. Something with high damage, low requirements, swings fast, and is exceptional for putting pressure on someone that is inflicted with Dark Fog. Would do something like this:

Str: Min
Dex: Min
Fth / Int: 30
Vit: Min to roll under 30% carry weight
End: 20 at least.
Attunment: 40 (or w/e the soft cap is)
Adpt: 20
Dump rest into Vigor.

I'm thinking either Uchi, Washing Pole, or Claymore. Won't bother with MLGS since it can no longer be buffed. Maybe a Mudane weapon like Saniters Spear? My stats perfectly fit the stat requirements.

praetor

Arcane
Santier is super fun (and buff it with bleed resin after you poison them! :)). even at 16 min stat it's a pretty solid hitter with the twinblade combos (and the occasional roflcopter)

80Maxwell08

Arcane
A shame he missed that the men and women of god have the best starting weapon. Also no complaints about humans having the power to heal others?

DragoFireheart

Santier is super fun (and buff it with bleed resin after you poison them! :)). even at 16 min stat it's a pretty solid hitter with the twinblade combos (and the occasional roflcopter)

Would it be worth using Bleed Infusion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom