Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Kanedias

Savant
Santier is super fun (and buff it with bleed resin after you poison them! :)). even at 16 min stat it's a pretty solid hitter with the twinblade combos (and the occasional roflcopter)

Would it be worth using Bleed Infusion?

Bleed is worthless. Do not bother with it. 200-250 damage (it not a % based damage anymore), and they are slowed with 1/4 less stamina for a very short amount of time. Doesn't sound too bad, except that if you were using something with real damage instead of bleed weapons, they would have died long before that.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Santier is super fun (and buff it with bleed resin after you poison them! :)). even at 16 min stat it's a pretty solid hitter with the twinblade combos (and the occasional roflcopter)

Bleed is worthless. Do not bother with it. 200-250 damage (it not a % based damage anymore), and they are slowed with 1/4 less stamina for a very short amount of time. Doesn't sound too bad, except that if you were using something with real damage instead of bleed weapons, they would have died long before that.

Maybe I'll just go all try hard and do a Dark Washing Pole.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I heard Bleed works well ONLY with Lances, due to the R2 charge attack being able to fill the bleed gauge with one go through a block. Not much else to say, I'm still playing around with Executioner's Lance (sure it can hit far, but I tend to gravitate towards hitting wide).

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well hexes are definitely catching on. I farmed smooth and silky stones at the skeleton lords for a bit and I would say a good 80% of them had sunset staves and hexer's robes.
EDIT: And literally right after that I got summoned to another hexer.

DragoFireheart

Well hexes are definitely catching on. I farmed smooth and silky stones at the skeleton lords for a bit and I would say a good 80% of them had sunset staves and hexer's robes.
EDIT: And literally right after that I got summoned to another hexer.

Hexers are so gud.

Dark Black Witch Staff allows you to cast GRS with nearly the same strength as Dark Cathia's Chime while saving you weight, space, and gives flexibility in spell selection.

Bat Fog is awesome in PvP.

Resonant Soul can be gotten very early on and outdamages 90% of spells for the first half of the game.

Dark Orb spam when your Sunset Staff is upgraded is a viable strategy for when you don't want to burn souls.

lot's of those "environmental hazards" are just annoyingly stupid, retarded, cheap, boring and shit (yes, poison statues. one of the few if not only enemy i'd be glad if it stopped respawning... and it's one of the few if not the only that doesn't)

Honestly, I much prefer the poison statues as far as environmental hazards to the majority of Dark Souls 1 hazards, namely pitfalls everywhere. Getting poisoned sucks, but it can be mossed/Estused/lifegemmed. Falling in Sens, Anor Londo, Tomb of the Giants, Crystal Cave, and elsewhere was a one-shot and a frequent given the spotty physics (thankfully patched up in DkS2).

i'm not sure what you mean by "were trolling"? there's much more "trolling" in DaS2 where to get some treasures you pretty much have to die, or homeward out. that's hardly an improvement,

Yeah, 40% was probably an exaggeration and I really don't think I had that great a point in regards to "troll treasure" in DkS1 (it really wasn't that common to find total jank in hard to reach places). And, yeah, those areas in the Dragon Aerie were bullshit.

the encounter design may be better (i neither agree nor disagree), but the level layouts (bar a few exceptions) aren't.

To me the layouts and enemy placements are much more clever than the majority of DkS1 levels. Things like the poison urns in Earthen Peak (and how you can lure enemies into breaking them), the traps that drop into the lava in Iron Keep (that can be used to great effect against enemies/invaders), the bells/generators in the Undead Crypt...they all add into making the levels have a lot more "play", more mechanical depth, to them.

Yeah, DkS1 had great places like the Painted World, Catacombs, and Duke's Archives. But it also had really (mechanically) uninspired places like Lower Burg, Demon Ruins, Anor Londo, Royal Woods, and Lost Izalith. Levels that may have looked cool, but were often nothing but collections of enemies in rooms/corridors. Or relied too heavily on annoying level design like forcing the player into fights on narrow walkways against projectile spammers with little room for lateral movement.

The Gutter is the same, if not worse (i'd say worse) than TotG. at least in DaS1 you had the light hat

The Gutter without a torch or Cast Light can be a little annoying, as some secrets will be difficult to discover and some enemies might get the jump on you, but it's possible to navigate without it. In TotG, without a light source, you have a very good chance of falling into any number of pits and light sources are not a thing necessarily available to every character in the way a torch is in DkS2.

i didn't really find the enemies in DaS2 any less susceptible to BS cheesing than in DeS or DaS1, it's just that the BS mechanics are a bit different.

They're far less susceptible. Anything besides fast-moving enemies (Thieves, Painting Guardians) could pretty easily be strafe-stabbed by a character with <25% equip burden. A modified roll-BS took care of practically anything else. Enemies in DkS2 are much better at turning to avoid backstabs, sometimes even bordering on cheesy turn-speed not available to the player.

they use feints? who does? i must have missed that.

Feints may be a poor terminology choice, but I've noticed enemies play around with their combos, sometimes delay in between swings or add an additional swing to the normal string. Easiest example to notice are the Old (sword and board) Knights in Heide's Tower and their 3-hit combo to which they sometimes append a fourth to catch players off guard. Drakekeepers and Black Dragon Knights in the Shrine are other good examples. I also could have sworn I saw Leydia Pyromancers and Leydia Witches cancel spells into dodges.

(especially in NG+ where almost everyone has thousands upon thousands of health)

Yeah, this is kind of unfortunate. Black phantom Onionbros at 4+ bonfire intensity are ludicrous, as are NG+ Chasm of the Abyss spirits.

Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, Giant Lord are plenty shit

I won't argue with this. Those are garbage fights, fortunately two of them are optional and the other is easily cheesed.

but Old Iron King, Rat Authority

Didn't have as much a problem with these two, however.

Rat Authority is a little annoying if he spams the headbutt move, which has a crazy hitbox and copious active frames. But I feel that's more of a systemic issue than anything else, that mistakes in hit-detection would be unnoticeable with DkS1 level of i-frames on dodging. Other than that, he's okay because he's a later game boss and every sort of build should probably have a way (or more) to deal with his minions quickly and efficiently.

I actually like Old Iron King a lot. Yes, he's a typical "BIGHUGE" boss that goes for style over substance and relies too much on highly telegraphed attacks with monumental recovery times...but I don't think that design is terrible in Souls games which have a lot less mechanical depth than something like DMC/NG/Bayonetta. It's disappointing to fight something like Jooby and the Virtues when you have a character that can dodge-offset, jump-cancel, cross up with her Air Trick equivalent, and has outstanding air game. Not so much when you're a d00d who can swing a sword (albeit a big one in many cases).

Plus, he's viable for all sorts of builds, including melee. He's no Storm King or Moonlight Butterfly that laughs heartily at melee users. And I kind of like the subtle use of terrain and the way it interacts with his attacks. You have to be a little careful with your dodging.

(NG Flexile, Dragonrider(s), Dragonslayer, Demon of Song, Magus, Covetous, Skellie lords [with the most hilarious music... half of it sounds like a christmas jingle], Guardian dragon).

I found a lot of these to be much more interesting designs than the majority of DkS1 bosses. Yes, a lot of them were easy, but I'm not certain what the devs could reasonably do to make an entire game full of bosses that challenged Souls vets. Things like the Sentry's boss room filling with water, the zombies you can "feed" Covetous, Guardian Dragon using the cage to perch, the Skellies surprising players who try to kill them quickly in sequence, and such added interesting rubs to boss fights.

Dragonrider was kind of lame, but he suffers more from first boss syndrome rather than anything else. He's there to teach new players to maneuver (and to pay attention the the level, what with the switches to expand the battle arena).

Magus, yeah, a little shitty, but remember that DkS1 had three fights with the Asylum Demon, one of which would enforce mandatory fall damage on non-Int builds.

yes, BS fishing is not a valid tactic anymore, but there's plenty of other bullshit that took its place. plus, as you pointed out in a previous post of yours, it's way too lethal.

Thing is, lethality can be toned down in patches, and there exist strong counters* to most high-tier strategies in the current PvP meta. Dark Souls 1 had entire swathes of weapons/spells completely unusable because of how much roll-bsing annihilated them and/or how they could not handle weapons with good pokes (spears and thrusting swords) and there was really nothing they could do to fix them. DkS2 seems a lot more "open", at least for now, and I think the extra emphasis on stamina management (due to slowed regen) as well as the presence of windup cancels will make for a more interesting PvP experience, if properly managed/developed, than DkS1 ever had a chance of being.

*Rebel's Greatshield really destroys casters. Tanking 5-orb Affinity and GRS with stamina left over to slap the Hexbro around with a greatsword. Shadow Dagger backstab fishers are pretty much stymied by Jester's Chest/Gower's Ring/Ironclad Chest. Shields with decent magic/dark reduction are great against Resonant Weapon buffers. Armor actually matters this time around and can improve survivability.

However, Bat Staff + Dark Fog is dumb, especially given that Blue/Red phantoms can't use healing items and Santier's Spear could probably stand to get a serious nerf. There is definitely some dumb shit that could stand to be fixed.

Soul Memory is utter shit as well. Love fighting level 828 HavelHexers at SL150. Love even more that said HavelHexer could troll me hard by invading then suiciding to boost my SM by about 600K.

then twinklie/boner stuff requires insane amounts of it to upgrade to +5, you cannot buy infinite (or even decent) amounts, you can farm but a) enemies stop respawning, b) you have to use bonfire ascetics (that you will also farm!) so the farming becomes more and more time consuming and boring. and then the drop rates are as retarded, if not more so, than in DaS1/DeS, but now the enemies stop respawning... not to mention they gave random drops to one-off black phantoms! (just a few examples of the idiocy that permeates the design of this game)

Leveling at the Emerald Herald is retarded and the farming in this game is relatively outrageous. Sadly, farming seems to be Big in Japan™, so we're unlikely to see ludicrous drop rates go the way of the dodo. Kind of ridiculous that in a thorough playthrough, without farming, you'll scarcely have enough twinkly or bones to upgrade more than one or two weapons to max. Would have been nice if they'd have rewarded Covenant PvP with upgrade materials a la Bell Keepers. Imagine if winning dragon-duels rewarded the winner with a dragon bone upgrade material, punishing the guilty gave a twinkly, etc. A lot more fun than farming Memories or Dragon Aerie.

DragoFireheart

Magus, yeah, a little shitty, but remember that DkS1 had three fights with the Asylum Demon, one of which would enforce mandatory fall damage on non-Int builds.

gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost gaudaost

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So I am at my brothers place atm and felt the ds2 itch. Decided I finally want to try out a sorceror/caster. After initial struggle with dealing low damage I am doing very fine and collected 2 great souls last evening. I am using the hexer set, a +7 staff (the one you can buy at the hexer trainer) in one hand, a +5 handaxe or longsword in the other hand, buffing it with the dark weapon hex. Using mostly great soul arrow, heavy soul arrow and dark orb, having around 33 int, 24 faith, 20 attument and 12 strength. Am I doing this right? Any tips for the build?

Edit: I'd also like some suggestions which weapon I can replace the longsword with. Using it on another character already and want to try out something exotic to force me out of the comfort zone. But please not something overly hardcore :P

Infinite farming of Giant Lord is seriously broken. I'm surprised they haven't patched this yet. Then again the duping glitch from DeS and the infinite use of consumables from DaS1 haven't been fixed either.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am iiitching to try a hex build and I will probably go for a mace as my sideweapon; seeing the speedrunners using maces to bring down bosses like the Mirror Knight with the staggering effect is just so awesome, plus the moveset looks fun.
I had a pyro that used a battle axe in DS and it worked very well to for a better reach weapon for crowd control and a pretty formidable 2 handed option for magic resistant enemies and bosses

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Edit: I'd also like some suggestions which weapon I can replace the longsword with. Using it on another character already and want to try out something exotic to force me out of the comfort zone. But please not something overly hardcore :P
Use a mace, with Magic enchantment. It only needs 12 strength, and it's fun to break enemies pose even as a mage.

praetor

Arcane
whee, yet another wall of text :P

Honestly, I much prefer the poison statues as far as environmental hazards to the majority of Dark Souls 1 hazards, namely pitfalls everywhere. Getting poisoned sucks, but it can be mossed/Estused/lifegemmed. Falling in Sens, Anor Londo, Tomb of the Giants, Crystal Cave, and elsewhere was a one-shot and a frequent given the spotty physics (thankfully patched up in DkS2).

platforming in CC and AL was shit, yes. but i personally liked TotG and the only time i fell off ledges was when fighting the dogs near them or when pressing circle once too many at a bonfire (yeah, it happened). plus, it's one of the best trolling areas to invade. and Sen's was fucking awesome. a pity there's nothing like it in DaS2. hell, they could've (should?) made a completely optional side-area be like Sen's but more labyrinthine, with sparse or easy enemies and super brutal traps that would've made the secret traps in Blade of Darkness look like a children's playground (sounds cool in concept, feeling like indiana jones and all, but i suspect the implementation would've been rather poor)

and yeah, the physics seem to be improved. too bad the hitboxes got much worse :(

To me the layouts and enemy placements are much more clever than the majority of DkS1 levels. Things like the poison urns in Earthen Peak (and how you can lure enemies into breaking them), the traps that drop into the lava in Iron Keep (that can be used to great effect against enemies/invaders), the bells/generators in the Undead Crypt...they all add into making the levels have a lot more "play", more mechanical depth, to them.

Yeah, DkS1 had great places like the Painted World, Catacombs, and Duke's Archives. But it also had really (mechanically) uninspired places like Lower Burg, Demon Ruins, Anor Londo, Royal Woods, and Lost Izalith. Levels that may have looked cool, but were often nothing but collections of enemies in rooms/corridors. Or relied too heavily on annoying level design like forcing the player into fights on narrow walkways against projectile spammers with little room for lateral movement.

i don't think the urns in EP were that cool (they're so close to enemies 9 times out of 10 they'll poison themselves as soon as they see you without any "play" from the player). the traps in IK are cool vs invaders, but vs enemies they're really friggin boring since the switches are in your face and enemies just stand there, there's really no "playing" (other than the random chance of luring that first archer onto the platform with 2 bowsers). UC bells and generators were pretty cool

and you cannot mention "mechanically uninspired" without mentioning shit like Black Gulch or Amanda shrine or Dark chasm (nothing in DaS1 comes even close to the Chasm's "forcing the player to fight on narrow walkways vs HP sponges". ok, maybe the infamous archers :))

The Gutter without a torch or Cast Light can be a little annoying, as some secrets will be difficult to discover and some enemies might get the jump on you, but it's possible to navigate without it. In TotG, without a light source, you have a very good chance of falling into any number of pits and light sources are not a thing necessarily available to every character in the way a torch is in DkS2.

the skull lantern was pretty much a guaranteed drop from the necromancers (i've never got through there without at least one) and it functions pretty much exactly like a DaS2 torch (but without a time limit, and it doesn't turn off if you switch to a shield). and there aren't all that many pits in TotG. there are lots of ledges, but for the most part they have a huge cliff on one side so you know where to stick. unlike the Gutter's "here's the Blighttown platforms but with TotG darkness". hell, both TotG and Gutter even have "big nasty dog creatures" :P

They're far less susceptible. Anything besides fast-moving enemies (Thieves, Painting Guardians) could pretty easily be strafe-stabbed by a character with <25% equip burden. A modified roll-BS took care of practically anything else. Enemies in DkS2 are much better at turning to avoid backstabs, sometimes even bordering on cheesy turn-speed not available to the player.

but those seem pretty rare, and it seems more a matter of getting accustomed to the new movement/controls. with my first char i managed to get a backstab once in a new moon in the starting areas (moronic hitboxes that hit diagonally behind certainly didn't help), but now on my third one i backstab almost everyone backstabbable with ease almost like DaS1. they turn fast, but after every combo they stand there like statues for something like 5 seconds. and the biggest problem in DaS1 was the enormous backstab hitbox, that shit was just unreal (and should've been a relatively easy fix that i have no idea why was never implemented, and that crushes my hopes they'll ever fix the insane amount of idiotic hitboxes in DaS2 :( )

Feints may be a poor terminology choice, but I've noticed enemies play around with their combos, sometimes delay in between swings or add an additional swing to the normal string. Easiest example to notice are the Old (sword and board) Knights in Heide's Tower and their 3-hit combo to which they sometimes append a fourth to catch players off guard. Drakekeepers and Black Dragon Knights in the Shrine are other good examples. I also could have sworn I saw Leydia Pyromancers and Leydia Witches cancel spells into dodges.

can't say i noticed any of that. particularly the old knights in heide who repeat the 3-hit combo ad nauseam (maybe it's a rare NG+ thing?). but i'll agree with drakekeepers (as bullshit as that infinite stamina 2handed mace guy is) and dragon knights, with the latter being very, very fun to fight (fully optional areas where fights like these would've been the norm could've been a great thing)

Didn't have as much a problem with these two, however.

Rat Authority is a little annoying if he spams the headbutt move, which has a crazy hitbox and copious active frames. But I feel that's more of a systemic issue than anything else, that mistakes in hit-detection would be unnoticeable with DkS1 level of i-frames on dodging. Other than that, he's okay because he's a later game boss and every sort of build should probably have a way (or more) to deal with his minions quickly and efficiently.

I actually like Old Iron King a lot. Yes, he's a typical "BIGHUGE" boss that goes for style over substance and relies too much on highly telegraphed attacks with monumental recovery times...but I don't think that design is terrible in Souls games which have a lot less mechanical depth than something like DMC/NG/Bayonetta. It's disappointing to fight something like Jooby and the Virtues when you have a character that can dodge-offset, jump-cancel, cross up with her Air Trick equivalent, and has outstanding air game. Not so much when you're a d00d who can swing a sword (albeit a big one in many cases).

Plus, he's viable for all sorts of builds, including melee. He's no Storm King or Moonlight Butterfly that laughs heartily at melee users. And I kind of like the subtle use of terrain and the way it interacts with his attacks. You have to be a little careful with your dodging.

yeah, Rat Authority was more because of the insanely retarded hitbox than a particular problem with the boss design (he's relatively similar to Sif in a way). OIK i hate with a passion because of all the wonky hitboxes that make punishing the firespit in melee more trouble than it's worth, the wall-piercing "game over" laser, the shitty platform with that hole, and the incredibly lame visual design. it's functionally not that different to the Moonlight Butterfly now that you mention it. you have to wait for both of them to "land" on a limited-movement platform while you dodge their attacks. and both are boring shit (but SK is even more shit)

I found a lot of these to be much more interesting designs than the majority of DkS1 bosses. Yes, a lot of them were easy, but I'm not certain what the devs could reasonably do to make an entire game full of bosses that challenged Souls vets. Things like the Sentry's boss room filling with water, the zombies you can "feed" Covetous, Guardian Dragon using the cage to perch, the Skellies surprising players who try to kill them quickly in sequence, and such added interesting rubs to boss fights.

Dragonrider was kind of lame, but he suffers more from first boss syndrome rather than anything else. He's there to teach new players to maneuver (and to pay attention the the level, what with the switches to expand the battle arena).

i was a bit too harsh on some of those, but the gimmicky parts on those is, just like in DeS (in DaS2 there's really too much of DeS's crappiest design choices), a "cool first time only" deal. the Sentry water-filling is so slow i didn't even notice it after i finished pew-pewing it after a good 3-5mins if not more with the lowest soul arrows for shits and giggles. maybe in NG+ it would be a bigger concern, but fuck that fight (if Capra was bad because of fighting 2 dogs + demon in a small room, fighting NG+ HP and damage-level Flexile + those 2 shadow cunts in a small room is much worse). Covetous "trick" is cool, but he's already a very easy fight so what's the point? it's like adding an easy-mode to Pinwheel or Adjudicator. Guardian Dragon perching is a purely visual thing (looks cool, but it's a boring "hack at the big dragon's feet for 20secs" fight) and he goes down fast enough that you may never see it.

for the record, i'm not saying DaS1 bosses on average were any better. just pointing out that, imho, DaS2 isn't all that much, if at all, of an improvement over the predecessor (at least when it comes to bosses)

Thing is, lethality can be toned down in patches, and there exist strong counters* to most high-tier strategies in the current PvP meta. Dark Souls 1 had entire swathes of weapons/spells completely unusable because of how much roll-bsing annihilated them and/or how they could not handle weapons with good pokes (spears and thrusting swords) and there was really nothing they could do to fix them. DkS2 seems a lot more "open", at least for now, and I think the extra emphasis on stamina management (due to slowed regen) as well as the presence of windup cancels will make for a more interesting PvP experience, if properly managed/developed, than DkS1 ever had a chance of being.

*Rebel's Greatshield really destroys casters. Tanking 5-orb Affinity and GRS with stamina left over to slap the Hexbro around with a greatsword. Shadow Dagger backstab fishers are pretty much stymied by Jester's Chest/Gower's Ring/Ironclad Chest. Shields with decent magic/dark reduction are great against Resonant Weapon buffers. Armor actually matters this time around and can improve survivability.

However, Bat Staff + Dark Fog is dumb, especially given that Blue/Red phantoms can't use healing items and Santier's Spear could probably stand to get a serious nerf. There is definitely some dumb shit that could stand to be fixed.

Soul Memory is utter shit as well. Love fighting level 828 HavelHexers at SL150. Love even more that said HavelHexer could troll me hard by invading then suiciding to boost my SM by about 600K.

hey, i also said most/all of it could be easily fixed in patches, and it had the potential to be the best PvP in the series, and they're already slowly doing it. and with the amount of hate SM gets, i'd be surprised if they don't do something about it (and if they don't, i wouldn't be surprised if this had the shortest lived PvP scene). seriously, how could they fuck up something so simple and basic? random dudes on the street could come up with better implementations of the SM mechanic in less time than it takes to kill Pinwheel. and i don't think stamina regenerates all that slower (if at all. the girlfriend plays DaS1 while i play DaS2 and to her it seems like it regens faster), only there's a bigger penalty when you go in the negative (finally!), there's less of it (in DaS1 everyone and their mother had FaP + 4End, which means 192 Stamina, while in DaS2 people stop at 25-30 End with Third Dragon, which means... something like 145-155?), and stamina regen items don't stack (at least that's what i remember reading a while ago). and more than Santier (i think it's fine, although the individual hits on the twinblade moveset could use a slight nerf. anything bigger than that and it would be nigh-unusable), i think the Mundane path needs a nerf (particularly powerstanced Avelyns)

and i think DaS1 PvP would've been a looot better (very likely significantly better than the current state of DaS2. again, DaS1 was in a similar state to what DaS2 is now one month after release. cookie cutter shit became prevalent a few months after that when numbers were crunched, armour combos calculated, poise break points discovered) with some really easy tweaks (cast speed to Att instead of Dex, a swing speed boost with higher Str levels for Str weapons, a substantial reduction of the enormous backstab hitbox [that's the biggest problem of DaS1's BS-relying game] and slight damage nerf, removal/further nerf of hornet ring, tweaks to Bead and Pursuers, and some tweaking of the poise system, and some armour/weapon stat rebalances here and there. all could be done in a couple of hours, one working day max, and further tweaked with fan feedback in a few more patches down the line. pretty easy and really not time consuming if From weren't such idiots at balancing and programming). but, the biggest enemy of Souls PvP will always stay: From's abysmal netcode. when will they hire someone who knows at least how to code at least basic "Hello world" shit?

Leveling at the Emerald Herald is retarded and the farming in this game is relatively outrageous. Sadly, farming seems to be Big in Japan™, so we're unlikely to see ludicrous drop rates go the way of the dodo. Kind of ridiculous that in a thorough playthrough, without farming, you'll scarcely have enough twinkly or bones to upgrade more than one or two weapons to max. Would have been nice if they'd have rewarded Covenant PvP with upgrade materials a la Bell Keepers. Imagine if winning dragon-duels rewarded the winner with a dragon bone upgrade material, punishing the guilty gave a twinkly, etc. A lot more fun than farming Memories or Dragon Aerie.

yup, definitely. i don't have that much of a problem with farming, if the enemies are cool or quick enough to fight, regardless of build, and the drop rates are decent enough. that's why i found chunk and soul farming in DaS1 was acceptable, but BSS, trident and slabs wasn't. and then comes DaS2 with just as shitty, if not shittier drop rates, but now enemies stop respawning, and some enemies appear only once per playthrough. retarded doesn't even begin to describe it. iirc, with a full farming to extinction of Amanda shrine and Aldia (plus clearing of loot all the other areas, and quite some luck at the irritating crows), i had upgraded 3 twinklie weapons, no twinklie shields and 2 armour pieces to +1, 1 boner weapon to full, 1 to +4, one to +1, and a shield to +2.

DragoFireheart

After playing DeS, DK1, and most of DK2, I think it's safe for me to say that the Dragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough boss fight was the highlight of the entire series thus far.

In terms of design for the fight, the lore behind it, the glorious boss music, and the progress of the game leading up to it, nothing tops it.

Best PvP: Dark Souls 2 (Covenants Rat Bros, Bellclangers, Blood Arenas, and Blue Arenas)
Best Level: Demon's Souls (Tower of Latria)
Best Boss: Dark Souls (Dragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Infinite farming of Giant Lord is seriously broken. I'm surprised they haven't patched this yet. Then again the duping glitch from DeS and the infinite use of consumables from DaS1 haven't been fixed either.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there incentive to farm the Giant Lord? Since at that point when it comes to farming you also have access to Ascetic Dragon Aerie.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
OIK i hate with a passion because of all the wonky hitboxes that make punishing the firespit in melee more trouble than it's worth, the wall-piercing "game over" laser, the shitty platform with that hole, and the incredibly lame visual design. it's functionally not that different to the Moonlight Butterfly now that you mention it. you have to wait for both of them to "land" on a limited-movement platform while you dodge their attacks. and both are boring shit (but SK is even more shit)
Melee is nothing... Go to OIK as a ranged. You'll see he is the worst and easiest enemy in the series.

DragoFireheart

OIK i hate with a passion because of all the wonky hitboxes that make punishing the firespit in melee more trouble than it's worth, the wall-piercing "game over" laser, the shitty platform with that hole, and the incredibly lame visual design. it's functionally not that different to the Moonlight Butterfly now that you mention it. you have to wait for both of them to "land" on a limited-movement platform while you dodge their attacks. and both are boring shit (but SK is even more shit)
Melee is nothing... Go to OIK as a ranged. You'll see he is the worst and easiest enemy in the series.

Old Iron King is so piss easy as ranged character that he makes Gaping Dragon or Pinwheel look hard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there incentive to farm the Giant Lord? Since at that point when it comes to farming you also have access to Ascetic Dragon Aerie.

It's extremely fast and easy. At max difficulty I'm getting ~500,000 souls from him with full soul farming gear. You get infinite divine blessings, twinkling titanite and bonfire ascetics. If you get GRS and have some very basic dodging skills you'll be killing him every 5 minutes or so. He spams 2 attacks over and over one of which is blockable so there's really very little chance of dying here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom