Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
To me it's not really about "how many bosses can you kill at start", it's about how much stuff you can do whenever you feel like it. Dark souls 1 was rather open in that sense. You can fight a lot of bosses and go to a lot of levels before ringing either bell(Maybe 60% of the content?). You can approach most of the levels from the front, or sequence break and go from them backwards. So far, I haven't seen much opportunity to do that in Das2. The levels are a rather linear progression(aside from lost bastille, which can be entered from 2 directions).

Boss and enemy design feels way more boring too. Dark souls had its fair share of big guys with big weapons, but they all had some gimmick or thing that made them interesting. In Das2 they feel completely pallette swapped.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They are only easy because you are used to the mechanics and how to play the games. Enemies are much more aggressive and even though no fight ever quite reaches the same height as Kalameet, Manus, Artorias or double Manticores the average boss fight in DaS2 is a lot more interesting and challenging.

:smug: smug because I feel smug. Face it you pedestrian, FROM cannot into good boss fights no matter how you want to look at it.

keep moving the goalposts, i'm sure sooner or later we'll come to a point where DaS2 is actually better... gg, scrub

But you're the one who moved the goal post in the first place. The whole thing escalated from when we were discussing which boss you could potentially face off against first and then you started back pedaling. Check, mate, passed goal, collected 200 dollars and found Waldo.

Edit: :smug:

use spices to lower requirements than cast it at beginning of duel. no more shitty GRS spamming:M

Profound Still is not going to stop my GRS spamming. You'll delay me for 30 seconds at best.
as if i needed more than 30 seconds to two-shot your sorry hexer ass with my lighting claymore +10
or 6shots with my powerstanced avelyn:troll:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
use spices to lower requirements than cast it at beginning of duel. no more shitty GRS spamming:M

Profound Still is not going to stop my GRS spamming. You'll delay me for 30 seconds at best.
as if i needed more than 30 seconds to two-shot your sorry hexer ass with my lighting claymore +10
or 6shots with my powerstanced avelyn:troll:

guess i'll just git gud and still beat you. :troll:

EDIT:
Some gank squad of host and a white phantom tried this on me the other day a couple times. First time I ran off and black crystaled out. Second time I ran off and let the mobs distract them until I could cast magic again. Host tried to GRS me but I was faster. Mostly did the run away tactic due to it being a 2v1.

Proud Still makes my life as a mage harder but I'm not completely helpless. I keep a Defender Shield and Dark Drake Keeper Sword handy.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
What, you really think the path you need to take in order to fight Capra as your first boss isn't convoluted and obscure? Sif is simple if you buy the crest, but then you shouldn't complain about needing 13k for the ring to access the Gutter. Without the crest, he requires a similarly weird path. Actually, won't the Hydra kill you as you try to climb the ladder behind it? I don't think I've ever seen anyone try that.

not even close. finding a locked door then finding a key half an hour later (and i'm being really first-playthrough generous here)... 2+2 most of the times equals 4 even without quest compasses.

as for Sif, i guess exploring is bad? do you hate it that much? i really don't see your point? he's neither locked nor does he have absurd requirements to get to, and, as you pointed out you have 2 paths to get to him. for the Gutter it's either pay now 13k for the ring or pay later 12k for the ladder (18k if you also want to get to the GoS) to get trough the same hole. and btw why wouldn't you want to kill the Hydra? it's anything but difficult.
What, you really think the path you need to take in order to fight Capra as your first boss isn't convoluted and obscure? Sif is simple if you buy the crest, but then you shouldn't complain about needing 13k for the ring to access the Gutter. Without the crest, he requires a similarly weird path. Actually, won't the Hydra kill you as you try to climb the ladder behind it? I don't think I've ever seen anyone try that.

aris

Arcane
Holy shit. Even after having collected 5 giant souls, vendrick is a damn difficult fight. He loves to hug the wall, so that you can't get behind him, his vertical swipe his insane, covering what seems like almost 50% of the whole arena, and if you try to block them, you're dead. I've actually become quite good at dodge rolling now, managing to do it most of the time, and considering that I have fat roll and 90 in agility, I consider that to be quite an achievment. That's not what makes him difficult though, I hit him for about 250 hp per hit, but MY GOD does he tank HP. It seems like he has at least 5000 hp. I got him down to 10%, and almost got him, but got killed because I fat rolled sideways, but got stuck in his leg which got me killed by a single strike
:negative:

DragoFireheart

Holy shit. Even after having collected 5 giant souls, vendrick is a damn difficult fight. He loves to hug the wall, so that you can't get behind him, his vertical swipe his insane, covering what seems like almost 50% of the whole arena, and if you try to block them, you're dead. I've actually become quite good at dodge rolling now, managing to do it most of the time, and considering that I have fat roll and 90 in agility, I consider that to be quite an achievment. That's not what makes him difficult though, I hit him for about 250 hp per hit, but MY GOD does he tank HP. It seems like he has at least 5000 hp. I got him down to 10%, and almost got him, but got killed because I fat rolled sideways, but got stuck in his leg which got me killed by a single strike

Vendrick is a well known easy-but-bullshit fight due to his one-hit attacks and tendency to back against a wall.

Hump his left leg slightly infront of him. And for gods sake stop fat rolling with 90 AGI you noob.

aris

Arcane

Vendrick is a well known easy-but-bullshit fight due to his one-hit attacks and tendency to back against a wall.

Hump his left leg slightly infront of him. And for gods sake stop fat rolling with 90 AGI you noob.
Hmm, I've been hugging his left leg slightly behind him, which makes you prone to end at the wrong side of his sword, which triggers the swipe attacks, and kills you. Will try to do as you suggest.

praetor

Arcane
But you're the one who moved the goal post in the first place. The whole thing escalated from when we were discussing which boss you could potentially face off against first and then you started back pedaling. Check, mate, passed goal, collected 200 dollars and found Waldo.

nope

1. you say it's the most non-linear Souls game
2. i dispute that claim (i provided hard numbers in a previous post of mine when a similar fraudulent claim was put forth)
3. you say there are 10+ bosses you can face as a first boss in DaS2
4. that's not true so i dispute it and counter that you can do more in DaS1
5. you're being a smartass so you bring in the tutorial
6. goalpost moving ensues about quality of bosses etc.

you should brush up on your logic, debating, and chess terminology. i understand this is the codex so everyone is being a dumbfuck on purpose when they're trying to "prove a point", however contrived or bullshitty, but still....

aris

Arcane
I beat him! Holy shit did he become easier once I figured out that I could get greedy with my attacks, and hit him 2-3 times between each attack instead of just 1 as I did before. Still, such a long endurance test have I never been under in DS. And this is really what this boss fight is, an endurance test. I think I've almost perfected the dodge roll too now.

Which is good

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I beat him! Holy shit did he become easier once I figured out that I could get greedy with my attacks, and hit him 2-3 times between each attack instead of just 1 as I did before. Still, such a long endurance test have I never been under in DS. And this is really what this boss fight is, an endurance test. I think I've almost perfected the dodge roll too now.

Which is good

Don't forget to take his soul, and his outfit out the shrine of amana. The Ruler Sword that you can make is pretty good against Havels at 1 million souls.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

nope

1. you say it's the most non-linear Souls game
2. i dispute that claim (i provided hard numbers in a previous post of mine when a similar fraudulent claim was put forth)
3. you say there are 10+ bosses you can face as a first boss in DaS2
4. that's not true so i dispute it and counter that you can do more in DaS1
5. you're being a smartass so you bring in the tutorial
6. goalpost moving ensues about quality of bosses etc.

you should brush up on your logic, debating, and chess terminology. i understand this is the codex so everyone is being a dumbfuck on purpose when they're trying to "prove a point", however contrived or bullshitty, but still....

You are being incredibly petty and butthurt. You were proven wrong and blown the fuck away before this argument even began and as your only defense you keep back pedaling into semantics and pointless technicalities. "B-b-but you said 10+! And you only listed 9!" Well good job, faggot. You said DaS has 9 when the only real answer was the Asylum Demon, which counts. Now if you want to disregard him because he's a shit boss fight then I can easily disregard a shit boss fight like the Dragonrider which will open up even more possibilities like The Skeleton Lords or Executioner's Chariot. Even moar options!

Honestly I don't even understand why this is an issue. I just said that you are given the option to fight a bunch of oddball bosses as your first boss, obscure and insane as some of them may be, it's a possibility. You got incredibly defensive over the matter because you have some kind of inferiority complex over which babby's first Souls game is better and why.

aris

Arcane
Holy shit, Dark lurker wasn't by any stretch of the imagination the most difficult boss fight, but it was the most nerve wrecking one, as you only have so many human effigies.

DragoFireheart

Holy shit, Dark lurker wasn't by any stretch of the imagination the most difficult boss fight, but it was the most nerve wrecking one, as you only have so many human effigies.

The dual-lurkers are kinda nasty. I also wasn't a dedicated Lightning Spear user so I couldn't kill him quickly.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So guys, there is something seriously wrong with the writing in this, isn't there? I was looking at the unused content page on the wiki, and I swear its like they cut out every single line of dialogue that actually made the thing make some sense. It's almost artistic in how well they've removed key lines to make everything gibberish.

And look at that, it's the last new area in the game and the only enemy design they could think of was more big guys with big weapons with generic attacks.

This game is a pale imitation of dark souls 1.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What I don't understand if why bosses in DS2 feel so...straightforward
They have 2 standard attacks, one closing in attack or jump and an AoE
Bosses like Vendrick are more annoying and stressful than challenging; I mean 20 minutes battles where you can die in one mistake? What makes things worse is that besides O&S the best bosses from the Dark Souls games were the bosses from the DLC; they had the most distinctive movesets yet with great FUN and challenging fights
I have not played NG+ but I have heard that some enemies have a few extra attacks is that true?

DragoFireheart

I have not played NG+ but I have heard that some enemies have a few extra attacks is that true?

I have heard this but I can't confirm or deny it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom