Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
On an unrelated note, I can't for the life of me understand people who apparently played the previous Souls games, decided to roll a caster in DS2, and are now complaining that the game is too easy (although apparently the balance of power was flipped, and miracles are now overpowered, while sorcery is shit).

Hexes replaced Sorcery and are Demon's Souls ridiculous. I killed Last Giant with 4-5 Resonant Souls with a shitty Chime.

This game doesn't have an Oscar or Frampt equivalent because the Emerald Herald is completely useless, the closest thing you get is Shalquoir.

Well what do you expect she's a woman she should be in the kitchen. :troll:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok I was waiting to jump in on the youtube bandwagon with this but for those who don't understand the lore or the stry behind the game here it goes
After the ending of the last game either the fire was kindles and all the soul levels you carried with you were used to restart a new age or you didn't kindle the bonfire and there was an age of dark...which ended sooner or later and then the fire restarted itself. That was the begining of an endless cycle of death and rebirth where new heroes would rekindel the fire and shape the land in their vision. Undead are the first sign that the present era of fire is coming to an end.
All bodies are vessels for the sou but only undead have the capacity to absorb other souls and become stronger; so sort of highlander undead battle each other and absorb their souls until the strongest undead remians and the souls he has are recycled unto a new era.
Vendrick was a "chosen undead" (hate that title but you get the picture) who defeated the 4 great souls of the kingdom that existed before dangleic. He knew enough about the nature of the curse and the cycle and he decided not to kindle the fire.
Why he did this is not clear but what is clear is that nashandra convinced him to seek out the power of the giants so he could himself avoid the process of hollowing out and having his new kingdom endure.
He crossed the sea and brought back the throne of want and used it to build drangleic castle by constructing golems thanks to the knowledge of the 2 lost kingdoms on how to animate armors and other inanimate objetcs like pupets.
He got that knowledge from the prince and princess...the iron king and myrtha,
But then the giants attacked and he learned that his living soldiers were not enough so he asked Alvia to come up with other creatures like the mamoths.
Everything seem quite nice but then the undead curse started again.
At first Vendrick started sending the undead to the los bastille and the iron king did his hunts but it was only a matter of time till the overran the kingdom; as they were alwats fated to do throught the ages
Vendrickstarted to show signs of beign overcome by the curse so he triend to experiement on the giants to create bodies not affected by death (like the giants) and came up with experienmnts like the Smelter Demon which killed the Iron King.
Alvia experimented on undead and dragons (it is unknown if he somehow revived them or they were there all along)
Both seeked to make a lifeform which was immune to the cycle but failed as time ran out and Vendrick found out that he was just wasting time and had been duped by Nashandra.
He took out his soul and left it in the shrine of amana (to be safe from the Dark and to await rebirth in the new cycle) since he know that the strongest souls were always reborn in the new cycle.
Alvia created the herald but she too was victim to the cycle and so he transfered his essence to the body of the ancuent dragon with the help of. Giant soul.
The herald spent ages looking for an undead champion and she sent them through a time portal to Drangelic seeking an undead strong eniugh to break the curse...(Hat is where you char comes in

DragoFireheart

So... what's the point of the Green chick?

Do explain starting with: why should I care about it? the game doesn't seem to give a fuck, so why should I?

Because you're cursed and it interferes with fashion souls.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nashandra is there to hijack the herald"s plan for your charcater to kindle the fire by lettng you gain access to the giants kinship (which gives the user power to use the throne) because he doesn't want her ahe of dark to end.
As a sidenote Vendrick discovered that the body is the vessel of the soul but as the body deteriorates it affects the mind itself.
This deterioration is cause by dying and by becoming exposed to the dark; note the souls of the throne watchern defender and even velstaat. This is also why Nashandra needs you to get the kings ring and the kinship; her dark powers would cancel out with Dark infused powers; it is only after you defeat the watcher and Defender that she makes her move to kill you char and get the kinship to ensure no one uses the throne

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The herald was an experiment for making a creature cpable of livibg forever like the ancient dragons but with a human souls
She is not immortal but lives for a long time, long enough to spread the legend of drangleic seeking to lure in powerful undead

Murk

Arcane
Guys, I realized why I don't like this game as much as DS 1 and why I think it lacks charm.

ma boy solaire aint here; or onion bro or tarkus =(

closest is lucatiel (or maybe pate?) pate seemed p dope but i get the feeling he's more of a patches character

man I still cry on the inside every time i relive the memory of killing solaire because of that fucking chaos bug (also nice nod with lost sinner with the eye bug infection)

I never played DeS so I can't tell if DKS1 had as many "HEY LOOK A REFERENCE TO THE OTHER GAME" other than the moonlight greatsword or the just blatant copypasta of ideas (but they have been doing that since fuggin King's Field) but I definitely see all the "lol this was in DKS 1 right???" stuff.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Root the story is almost as cryptic as the first game but on further playthroughs I think it is awesome and even better on some respects all my speculation is based on item descripctions and plain old logic to make an reasonble deduction
Since I do that for a living I'd say it is pretty well fundamented but soemthings are not explained anywhere (dragons mostly) so that is as good as my guesses get

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Who gives a fuck about the story? Game has more variety than the first, also better optimized (doesn't mean it's WELL optimized though). Overall worthy sequel. Kill Pate immediately, he drops some fine ass shoes :nigga shoutout:

DragoFireheart

So I found a hexer with a full loadout: Affinity, Profound Still, GRS, and Dark Fog (not bat fogt). He beat me a couple times but god he relied on Profound Still way too much.

Pretty good spell, will have to spice it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So after playing more the game has opened up, though I still think the beginning is way too railroaded. I like the enemy variety too, I find myself changing weapons a lot more often depending on what I'm fighting. Though after getting used to it I REALLY like the moveset on the Dragleic/Royal Greatsword. Dumped my large shards into that. Also I think I must have missed a blacksmith or something because I'm rolling in various kinds of elemental titanite now with nowhere to use it, or the boss souls. Ah well.

Also, twinblade is WAY better than Ricard's ever was. I probably won't use it this playthrough, but that two handed animation is sick.

Currently trying to cheese stupid fire lizards to death because I don't want to deal with the black grotto, gutter, or that misty forest, which are the only other options I seem to have. Unless I want to play roulette with the lockstone in the royal tomb or whatever it's called, but fuck that, already wasted at least one of those.

Silva

Arcane
Im with Root here. Story is nonsensical and dont motivate you to play. DS1 story was thin but at least it have some focus to keep the player excited (the Chosen Undead, the Fire of Men burning out, the fallen gods vs the primordial dragons and all that). This time its empty as hell.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Who gives a fuck about the story? Game has more variety than the first, also better optimized (doesn't mean it's WELL optimized though). Overall worthy sequel. Kill Pate immediately, he drops some fine ass shoes :nigga shoutout:
I care about the story. I find I enjoy playing the game more if I have some motivation to so beyond just getting to the next area. Especially in any form of RPG an in character motivation should be present, and there is none. I also don't quite agree with more variety in this one.

Silva

Arcane
Also, the aesthetics and atmosphere are a bit too "plain medieval" to my tastes. DS1 felt more exotic and moody to me somehow, even if I cant put my finger exactly on why.

praetor

Arcane
You are being incredibly petty and butthurt. You were proven wrong and blown the fuck away before this argument even began and as your only defense you keep back pedaling into semantics and pointless technicalities. "B-b-but you said 10+! And you only listed 9!" Well good job, faggot. You said DaS has 9 when the only real answer was the Asylum Demon, which counts. Now if you want to disregard him because he's a shit boss fight then I can easily disregard a shit boss fight like the Dragonrider which will open up even more possibilities like The Skeleton Lords or Executioner's Chariot. Even moar options!

Honestly I don't even understand why this is an issue. I just said that you are given the option to fight a bunch of oddball bosses as your first boss, obscure and insane as some of them may be, it's a possibility. You got incredibly defensive over the matter because you have some kind of inferiority complex over which babby's first Souls game is better and why.

hahaha, you accuse me of semantics and technicalities when you are the one who brought in the fucking tutorial into the whole thing? hahaha, that's rich. "faggot" doesn't even begin to describe your idiocy, even skyway would be ashamed. and you're the one who brought in the bosses count after i challenged your false claim that DaS2 is "the most non-linear Souls game". i don't care who likes more what game, as long as people don't try to pass opinions as facts or just lie like you did. so yeah, fuck off

I have heard this but I can't confirm or deny it.

they get adds, but i did not notice anything else "new" (other than Mirror knight summoning players rather than NPCs). it would've been infinitely better if the bosses got more moves instead of just throwing adds in. f.e. Lost Sinner would easily be top 3 Souls boss ever if instead of those lame pyromancers she got some pyromancies herself, plus a more varied and less predictable moveset in NG+

Edit: About trash mobs, fuck the purgatory guardians.

it is very, very easy to aggro them one at a time, and then backstabbing them is as easy as your average DaS1 enemy. it's always dagger time with those dudes

And look at that, it's the last new area in the game and the only enemy design they could think of was more big guys with big weapons with generic attacks.

heeey... they're not generic, they're just reskins with more HP and damage than the ones in Heide's (and maybe an extra move)! :P

in Ds1 Silver/Black Knights were parry school for noobs. yet in DS2 people bitch because mobs are more unpredictable and have more versatile and fast attacks and finally your stats and shields make difference in parrying.

heide knights are the only "unpredictable" enemies. people bitch because they have much wonkier hitboxes and active frames on their attacks, and some of the tracking is even more ridiculous than Taurus demon. and stats make no difference in parrying, only shield

Congregation is dangerous the first time when you don't realize that 2 lightning bolts are coming to rape you.

i did not realize there were any spellcasters in 'cause a single flame swathe wiped them all out :P

I can try to explain some stuff about the story if anyone wants.

please do, i'd really like to read your thoughts on it 'cause you're one of the few sensible people here

Root the story is almost as cryptic as the first game but on further playthroughs I think it is awesome and even better on some respects all my speculation is based on item descripctions and plain old logic to make an reasonble deduction
Since I do that for a living
I'd say it is pretty well fundamented but soemthings are not explained anywhere (dragons mostly) so that is as good as my guesses get

judging by your interpretations and jumping to conclusions without any rhyme or reason, i'd say you're really really lucky to still have a job

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looking at a speedrun, it seemed old iron king (or whatever its name was) added some AoE flames to his melee attacks so they were marginally harder to dodge in NG+.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
hahaha, you accuse me of semantics and technicalities when you are the one who brought in the fucking tutorial into the whole thing? hahaha, that's rich. "faggot" doesn't even begin to describe your idiocy, even skyway would be ashamed. and you're the one who brought in the bosses count after i challenged your false claim that DaS2 is "the most non-linear Souls game". i don't care who likes more what game, as long as people don't try to pass opinions as facts or just lie like you did. so yeah, fuck off

There you go again back pedaling into your personal space. "B-but it's only a tutorial!", no it's not you idiot. It's a proper zone with one mandatory boss fight and an optional boss fight that will score you a key item that will allow you access to a huge optional part of the game. Doesn't sound like a place that's "just a fucking tutorial" as a simian like you would put it. Saying that the Asylum is a only tutorial is the very definition of twisting semantics and technicalities for the sake of doing so just so you can get in the last word on a matter that you had lost before you even began your rampage of butthurt and irrationality. You are lashing out at anyone who attempts to challenge your precious Dark Souls and scream falsity at anything they claim and then twist the words and meanings so that it works more into your favor. Why are you acting like a woman? Is it that time of the month again?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Since I do that for a living I'd say it is pretty well fundamented but soemthings are not explained anywhere (dragons mostly) so that is as good as my guesses get
It also bears mention that DaS1 has already had years of speculationcrafting among the fandom behind it, so it has a natural advantage in that regard (personally I think both games kind of "cheat" when it comes to storytelling due to how overly minimalistic they can be).

aris

Arcane
So after playing more the game has opened up, though I still think the beginning is way too railroaded. I like the enemy variety too, I find myself changing weapons a lot more often depending on what I'm fighting. Though after getting used to it I REALLY like the moveset on the Dragleic/Royal Greatsword. Dumped my large shards into that. Also I think I must have missed a blacksmith or something because I'm rolling in various kinds of elemental titanite now with nowhere to use it, or the boss souls. Ah well.

Also, twinblade is WAY better than Ricard's ever was. I probably won't use it this playthrough, but that two handed animation is sick.

Currently trying to cheese stupid fire lizards to death because I don't want to deal with the black grotto, gutter, or that misty forest, which are the only other options I seem to have. Unless I want to play roulette with the lockstone in the royal tomb or whatever it's called, but fuck that, already wasted at least one of those.
Man you think the game is railroaded because you have no idea about all the paths you can take. It's a good idea to a) play the whole game and b) know all the paths before you say that it's railroaded. Beginning the game, there are at least 4 zones that you can potentially go to, did you know that? As far as I can see, it's no more railroaded than DS1 was.

aris

Arcane
Ok, so due to ususal codex edginess, and the fact that the older game must always be better than the new game, because nostalgia fags. Let's look at what this game does worse and what it does better than DS1.

Better than DS1.
-Gameplay. There is just no discussion to be had here. Gameplay wise, DS2 is superior to DS1 by bringing in subtle but game changing modifications that improved the gameplay all over the board. Game exploits like infinite backstabs in PVE has pretty much been dealth with, infinite blocking is no longer a viability, and dodging must actually be considered, rather than spastically side rolling every fucking time. What's more, the non-boss monsters and the environmental dangers are just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in DS2. In DS1 the game relied on killing you almost exclusively by knocking you off, or making you fall off thin ledges, that was the only way they tried to kill you pretty much. In DS2, not the case at all, there are way more traps, there are ambushes, and cleverly designed monsters that pose real danger.
-This is my personal opinion, and probably controversial, but I liked the NPCs more in DS2. In DS1, they relied to much on the NPCs being either alice-in-wonderland-ish or having that creepy laughter, or just being plain evil. Pate has been said to be just another patches, which in my opinion is bullshit. Patches was completely one dimensional, and you knew what he was doing, Pate? Not so much. In fact, playing through I have realized that you have no evidence to whether he is tricking you or not. He is much more interesting and open to interpretation than Pathces ever was, and really, the only thing you have to go on, that he's setting you into traps, is anecdotal evidence from other NPCs who claim to have known that he set them up. What's more, Pate also helps you in fighting the last Giant. And since not everything has to be grimdark, both DS1 and DS2 also had humorous characters, but again, DS2 just outwits DS1 here. Gavlan and Straid (which has the same voice actor I guess as Frampt, but much better use of the voice) are just some of the most memorable characters I've ever seen, and both made me grin wildly.
-And speaking about humor, the statues that you can throw on the ground that say "hello", "thank you", "I'm sorry" and "very good", fucking pure gold! And also very useful in conveying information you can't easily do with gestures.
-Bigger game, this can be listed as both a con and pro, I guess.
-Way better matching making, it actually works this time around, unlike DS1, where you could never make a connection.
-Better looking game, technically.
-Better, more interesting covenants.

Worse than DS1:
-Less interconnectivity, it seems to be the case. There are at least 3 points that I remember, where you can progress no further, and must warp back to majula. (Now that I think about it, DS1 actually had at least 3 points where you could continue no longer as well, and you just had to warp back, hmm, I'm not sure if this is actually true)
-Has more ugly areas, lost bastille is particularly a sore point here in my opinion. Of course the dragon shrine and the zone leading up to it, is more beautiful than anything previously seen in From games. Truly marvelous.
-Some areas, particularly the gutter and iron keep are very gamey, and doesn't have the organic feel that many areas in DS1 had. This is a consequence of the ramping up on the gameplay, and making more interesting environmental dangers by making gauntles, but it's still a pity that they couldn't do it in a better way. Most other areas do feel as organic as DS1 though.
-Less varied boss fights? I'm not sure about this. DS2 has way more boss fights, so they may seem more samey, but I think they don't have that much less variety. I have to think about it some more.
-Extreme rarity of twinkling titanite. This would be understandable, if these weapons were much better than the one requiring the normal titanite, but they aren't. It strongly discourages experimentation, and forces you to consult wikis on whether it will be good or not, which sucks. This is actually my single biggest gripe with DS2 with respect to DS1.

Anyway, obviously my list is biased, disclaimer, but anyone saying that DS2 is a failure is as a sequel is a retard. It's an extremely worthy sequel, and not what fallout 2 was to fallout 1 at all.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Man you think the game is railroaded because you have no idea about all the paths you can take. It's a good idea to a) play the whole game and b) know all the paths before you say that it's railroaded. Beginning the game, there are at least 4 zones that you can potentially go to, did you know that? As far as I can see, it's no more railroaded than DS1 was.

The non-linearity ends after the beginning of the game. It is a theme park on rails, and there is no real reason to try and argue against it.

Majula has:

1. Giant place

2. Forked road

3. Well

4. Fire tower place

5. Huntsman Copse

It's incredibly front-loaded and reeks of amateur hour game design.

Then Dark Souls non-linearity is:

1. Swamp to giant tree place or boss

2. Valley of Drakes to New Londo or Swamp

3. Firelink to Burg, Parish, Crow, Tomb.

4. Sister Spider to lava place or Izalith

5. Darkroot to Oolacile, 2 bosses, or Burg

6. Anor Londo to Painted World or boss

That might be it, but that's all that I can remember atm. As you can see, Dark Souls 1 not only has more branching paths, but also has them placed throughout the game and the pace is much better.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
-And speaking about humor, the statues that you can throw on the ground that say "hello", "thank you", "I'm sorry" and "very good", fucking pure gold! And also very useful in conveying information you can't easily do with gestures.
-Bigger game, this can be listed as both a con and pro, I guess.
Protip: The statues were in DaS1 as well(technically added in the DLC, but the master race version always had them). I'm not sure I buy bigger game, considering it took me 20 hours less to complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom