Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I have no clue what Lucatiel's end is as after seeing her in... uhh... the third place (no man's wharf; lost bastille; and.... earthen peak?) i no longer saw her and no longer cared.

I remember meeting her and... that was it.

Most forgettable NPC.

Murk

Arcane
She has some emo storyline, and I remember the first time I saw her in lost bastille she took her mask off? or it was a visual glitch, but I saw her face and it was semi-hollowed. That may have been before some mini patch tho because I want to say the game changed since initial release.

Was p dope killing her brother tho, hoo hoo hoo.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
She has some emo storyline, and I remember the first time I saw her in lost bastille she took her mask off? or it was a visual glitch, but I saw her face and it was semi-hollowed. That may have been before some mini patch tho because I want to say the game changed since initial release.

Who the fuck is her brother?

Murk

Arcane
Aslatiel in Aldia's Keep. Same armor and similar name hence my assumption they are siblings, since she mentions him and how he was a knight or something.

the NPC phantoms have p bad AI; multiple times they get stuck or fail to go into the fog wall. Thanks for the hp boost to the boss tho braa

Who the fuck is her brother?
i gues you did not summoned her for 3 bosses? if she survives those fights you got more info from her in aldias keep. and her brother invades you in Aldias Keep.

she is kind of hot bitch. also pretty vain :lol: she covers her face to hide that she slowly goes hollow. she is not that bad npc, but she is not on some epic fucking quest like Solaire or Siegmeyer so her more "personal" problems like loosing memory and beauty might not be too interesting for most players.

OzaMw8u.jpg

still nashandra is hotter eventhough she seems like a cold bitch...

or5kZIp.jpg

Murk

Arcane
I summoned her for Flexile Sentry and then not much after. I guess my first time I did finish her quest then? I remember getting invaded by her brother but eh. Her storyline was ok, it fit with the general trend of the whole "I am here because... uhh... huh.... I forget why I came. Probably for adventure!". I liked that sort of obliviousness, but she goes through full tsundere in the span of 2 dialog exposes.

I think I only summoned Manscorpion Tark after that cuz I wanted to see some hot scorpion on scorpioni action with his waifu.

On the topic of NPCs -- the blacksmith/daughter combo was p stupid, but functional.

The shopkeeper Moughlin guy turning into an arrogant asshat was p dope.

I was expecting more from Gavlan (inventory to grow) but I guess he's basically just Frampt. Does give more souls tho; so it makes picking up shit items OK and not a hassle like in DS 1.

You can summon her for Flexile Sentry, Rotten, Sinner and Smelter Demon. Or use bonfire ascetic and summon her 3 times in No-Mans Wharf while farming Shadow/Aurous Set:lol:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I think I've found my new favourite Souls boss theme. Thus, Velstadt has dethroned Flamelurker. The boss itself reminds me of Artorias - relatively simple mechanics, but demands good execution to get anywhere. Also, really great presentation in general, the way he looks and moves is just cool as fuck, and is also kind of amusing in that it's the exact opposite of Artorias.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So today I discovered how dual wielding actually works (why the fuck was this not in the tutorial? You had ONE fucking job tutorial, explain the single new feature in the game. But noooo...) so I started a new melee character to try it out after I fooled around a bit with another and decided I liked it in principle. Some things:

Bandit's knife is hilariously bad now. Basically no scaling, no base damage, and it's too rare to easily grab a pair right off the bat to at least bleed a few guys to death before bleed becomes awful (I tried bleeding a drakekeeper, it did like 200 damage. WTF? 200 damage after like 20 hits of bleed buildup is horseshit.) OTOH, a pair of daggers with the ring of blades does a decent job of fucking things up, while letting you remain fairly mobile. Though, sadly, the range is so awful it's not going to be worth it for long, especially once the damage starts to drop vs later enemies. Plus the durability falls way too quickly.

Dagger + rapier is actually pretty cool. Swing with the dagger first and then follow up with the rapier to avoid the stupid lag time on the rapier's initial attack. Dual rapiers is awful though, costs stamina like a fucking greatsword, without the advantages of range or stunning or breadth of attack or high damage to penetrate armour. I guess they at least weigh less? Yay.

Dual curved swords is agonizingly slow for no apparent reason. Wtf?

Also, I eventually want to try dual archdrake maces. 120 poise damage with the halberd moveset = yesplz.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Lucatiel is alllright. For some reason I cared for her to let her survive the bossfights (this was before they buffed her). I find it nice that she as a semi-sidekick you often meet isn't some super duper epic NPC and more down to earth. Seeing her in Aldias Keep (and finally getting that sweet loot from her :P) and afterwards her hollow brother invades was a nice touch.

Samegoes for Benhart. He's using a fake sword and doesn't even realize it, still he made it all the way to the last boss and even got the ashen mist heart, kicking ass. Maybe its just because I have a thing for scottish dialects though. ;P

The small sidequest with Licia(?) was cool too. She really kicked my arse the first time. :oops: (Fucking wrath of gods)

Murk

Arcane
Definitely try two regular maces for fun; it's L2 combo while in power stance is pretty ridiculous.

DramaticPopcorn

A bug occured and sort of revealed all areas and the number of bonefires they have, I've explored the castle dragnlake (spellenk?) but it shows that there's one more bonefire I haven't found, do you guys know where is it?
ToaqbTO.jpg

Murk

Arcane
Not a bug; happened to me too. Not sure if it takes place after a certain event but it shows the bonfires you haven't gotten yet. At least, I don't think it's a bug.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
A bug occured and sort of revealed all areas and the number of bonefires they have, I've explored the castle dragnlake (spellenk?) but it shows that there's one more bonefire I haven't found, do you guys know where is it?
ToaqbTO.jpg

On your way up to the area where the two dragonriders are, after you get invaded by the nameless usurper is a ledge you can drop down, there is an illusory wall with the bonfire behind

aris

Arcane
Does anyone have a reason for the DEX nerfing in this game ? Did the devs told anything about it ? Being a Dex guy myself (finished the first game with a Thief build), Im totally frustrated. No good Dex weapon appear until very late, when you charge weapons with special properties the DEX is de-scaled (but not Str.. go figure), and 90% SPECIAL MODAFACKA BADASS Boss souls weapons are heavy or ultra heavy shit. Even the Thiefs Knife is nerfed here, in the first it did an ridiculous amount of crit damage, but now its useless.

Someone with a really short dick must be behind this.
Richards rapier is AMAZING early on. I made a new character, pumping dex right up to 40 from the start, and the dex scaling on this weapon is insane! I believe already at plus 4, it gets an S scaling with dex. Mine does 110+120 damage from the scaling, and it kicks ass! Love the move set too. Also short bow is really good to, if you upgrade it a little, and have high dex.

You can get this at the beginning of the game at the very beginning of huntsmans copse

praetor

Arcane
Does anyone have a reason for the DEX nerfing in this game ? Did the devs told anything about it ? Being a Dex guy myself (finished the first game with a Thief build), Im totally frustrated. No good Dex weapon appear until very late, when you charge weapons with special properties the DEX is de-scaled (but not Str.. go figure), and 90% SPECIAL MODAFACKA BADASS Boss souls weapons are heavy or ultra heavy shit. Even the Thiefs Knife is nerfed here, in the first it did an ridiculous amount of crit damage, but now its useless.

Someone with a really short dick must be behind this.

dagger is good for backstabs/ripostes. dual rapier is ok. ricard's R2 is ok for applying poison, as are poison spotted whips. Murakumo is still good, but it lost it's crowd control R2 :( katanas are good for PvP. spears are pretty much shit, lances are the new spears (but they're quality/str weapons :( ), syan's halberd is pretty good. black knight halberd is still excellent (PvE mostly). drakewing has that 2HR2 special that can deal quite a bit of damage. curved dragon greatsword is good, but it's a quality weapon (30 Str requirement)

the stupid thing is that a lot of the time you won't lose much by just meeting the minimum requirements and going raw, mundane or elemental (+ buffs. f.e. with something like ~15min stat a mundane dagger will be better than a regular at 40Dex)

so yeah, physical scaling (particularly dex) is kinda broken :)

she is not that bad npc, but she is not on some epic fucking quest like Solaire or Siegmeyer so her more "personal" problems like loosing memory and beauty might not be too interesting for most players.

that's because those are really not interesting problems, not because she's not on an epic quest. and you don't need to summon her to get all her dialogue, you only get her equipment at Aldia's

she's also written quite blandly, with next to no character. like most NPCs, who are (most of the time) barely more than infodumps :(

I think I've found my new favourite Souls boss theme. Thus, Velstadt has dethroned Flamelurker. The boss itself reminds me of Artorias - relatively simple mechanics, but demands good execution to get anywhere. Also, really great presentation in general, the way he looks and moves is just cool as fuck, and is also kind of amusing in that it's the exact opposite of Artorias.

i agree his presentation is really cool (by far the best in the game), as is the music (easily the best in the game, along with the Lost Sinner), but mechanically he's a bit too easy. once you go past that initial "he swings that huge chime hammer like a piece of cardboard" he becomes a pushover, and his power-up move is waaaay too easy to punish due to the small arena, the time he does it and the amount of damage he receives while he does it. he's just not aggressive or relentless enough to pose any kind of threat

Kanedias

Savant
I just learned to roll parry, it's even more obnoxious than the backstep parries. I hate these techniques, will only use them against overlevelled people.

Castanova

Prophet
Not a bug; happened to me too. Not sure if it takes place after a certain event but it shows the bonfires you haven't gotten yet. At least, I don't think it's a bug.

Interesting. So, you can only see the bonfires but you can't travel to them, right? I'm having visions of the glitchiest Dark Souls speed run ever right now.

Kanedias

Savant
When you talk to Nashandra in Castle Drangleic you see all the areas and bonfires you're msising as ???. Nashandra is the trigger.

aris

Arcane
I just don't get the reasoning behind it
The reason is easy, give you a chance towards the end of the game to find all the bonfires, and possibly some secrets on the way.

I see nothing wrong with this, seeing that missing something in DS is incredibly easy. You have to have the eyes of an eagle, and infinite patience to find all the secrets and things you can do in DS on your first playthrough.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Patience being the most important part. You basically have to just spam examine on every surface to find all the hidden passages. There's no hints or reasoning for them this time around.

Patience being the most important part. You basically have to just spam examine on every surface to find all the hidden passages. There's no hints or reasoning for them this time around.

there were no hints or reason for most hidden walls in Des/DS1 too;) lol ashen lake or fair lady. you just hit randomly walls in the hope of finding the right one like in new londo ruins or boletaria palace. its shitty system that works only thanks to online community. i wouldnt mind if they get rid of that and leave only hidden shit like gwyndolin and ring from catacombs (and thats still obscure as fuck) or finding that guy from covenant of abyss during you journey. pilgrims of dark was a good reward while titanite chunk not really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom