Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I agree, when I invade some guy or so I do everything to win and don't care for any honor code or such. But when I summon some dragonbro or such and see him bowing or such, I am doing the same and try not to be a douchebag, I don't use estus unless I see the guy using it etc. That's my idea of "honor" and it doesnt go beyond that. Afterall I want to have fun in the game and not gimp myself for no reason...

Any PC bros here want to have some duels or sparring or such? I am in NG+. Would be cool! :D

Now I may be wrong on this since I didn't nearly play DS1 pvp as much as this one, but it seemed to me that builds were a lot more specific in DS1, weren't they?

Not really. It wasn't hard at SL120 in DkS1 to have a 40/40 build (STR/DEX/FTH/INT: pick two) with (near) max stamina and a decent amount of HP. Characters had higher initial stats and lower initial Soul Levels. There also weren't four quality of life stats (VIG/VIT/END/ADP) and spells were mostly useless enough that having more than one or two attunement slots was mostly superfluous.

Specificity in builds came more from items like the Hornet, Red Tearstone, or Leo Rings, which warped character builds around one (extremely deadly) method of interaction.

This whol soul memory shit needs to go. Wasn't this done because of ganking low level players was a thing in DS1? FFS, perfect excuse to establis the blue sentinel covenant for this thing, shouldnt it?

Exactly my thoughts. Having some SL150 Blue Sentinel come in to wreck some low-level twinks would have been excellent. Now, with Soul Memory, everyone can experience the fun of terrible mismatches in PvP. Yay?

It's like Chromehounds all over again. Great gameplay, abysmal matchmaking that will likely sink the game in the long run. Well...Chromehounds had a few more issues, but the point still stands; From has a pretty bad history here.

Silva

Arcane
Ok, in this discussion people say dual infused Lacerating Bandits Knives +10 can be devastating in PvP. This woukd mean Thief builds are viable afterall.

I just put Bleed and duel wielded 2 bandit daggers +10....oh man this is beast...Using the crest of blood i have 331 bleed damage and it builds up on them so quick. even when they have shields

Bump. Lacerating Bandits Knives will proc on most enemies after two powerstanced L1 for 300 dmg atm. They individually have a bleed rating of about 330 with the crest of blood, 26 dex, and 50 faith.

Grab enough stamina and you could bleed stunlock someone into oblivion using this combo.

Can someone confirm that ?

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
I have no knowledge of the answer to this question but based on the fact that 99.99% of random Google'd message board/Youtube Souls talk you find on the internet is idiotic I'll guess it's bullshit.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ok, fuck avelyns, especially dual wield ones. It's just not fun to fight against them. Otherwise my night was succesfull, it's so lulzy that I am still just using the Alonne Armor +10, a +10 Claymore and +10 Mace in Offhand and win this way :D Occassionally I cast the sunbro spear if the enemy is extremely stupid. Currently farming the dragon scales, since I missed to do that in NG. 18 this night and numerous titanite chunks. :D BTW this night it was the first time I invaded someone and immedieately after an actual Blue Sentinel showed up! So the invadee had to had the WoB ring on. Nice! I wrecked the Sentinel but the Host killed me though. ;D

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Also, is this scenario possible? Let me describe:

Guy walks into Belfry Luna. He touches Sunbro sign right after doorstep and touches also a red soap sign. Two Bellbros Invade aswell, and the host guy has also the Way of Blue Ring on so an arbiter shows up. This should make it 6 people and total chaos. Think that works? :D

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, is this scenario possible? Let me describe:

Guy walks into Belfry Luna. He touches Sunbro sign right after doorstep and touches also a red soap sign. Two Bellbros Invade aswell, and the host guy has also the Way of Blue Ring on so an arbiter shows up. This should make it 6 people and total chaos. Think that works? :D

This happened to me minus arbiter. It was total chaos&fun till one bellfucker 1 shotted me with some sorcery...
Strage part is red helped us against bellfuckers, nobody loves them for sure :)

praetor

Arcane
re: honor

in invasions i agree with the "everything goes" since that's the whole goddamn point of it. but in red soapstone, dragonsign, arena duels... that's where "honour" (the other one! :P) comes into play. speaking of which, i still don't get why people bitch about healing in the arena. the "honour duels" in DeS "allowed" healing (although mostly limited to 3 as to not drag the fight for too long) 'cause everybody could use grasses, but then it was "dishonourable" in DaS1 'cause red and blue phantoms could not heal (other than miracles and, at the beginning really scarce, humanity and the 2-3 per NG blessings) so for some reason, even though it's waaaaaay easier to punish heals in DaS2, people bitch and moan for days on end about the healing in the arena... and, imo, when (IF!) one day the balance will resemble something functioning (or at least a clusterfuck like DeS and DaS1), it should be encouraged so that most "honourable duels" don't end in 10secs flat

aris

Arcane
I'm guessing the total sales figures are much higher than it was for DS1.

praetor

Arcane

"much"? highly unlikely. as of now, from that article, DaS2 has shipped as much as DaS1 has sold, and somebody on reddit going by steamstats and far fire site stats has calculated that roughly 250k have bought it on PC

Kanedias

Savant
Is SL 150 really the agreed upon meta now? IMO that is already too high, you can have a plethora of stuff you can do already and mish mash with different "classes". Now I may be wrong on this since I didn't nearly play DS1 pvp as much as this one, but it seemed to me that builds were a lot more specific in DS1, weren't they?

This whol soul memory shit needs to go. Wasn't this done because of ganking low level players was a thing in DS1? FFS, perfect excuse to establis the blue sentinel covenant for this thing, shouldnt it?

People agreed on SL 150 at first but now many of them want it to be SL 135. I personally prefer SL 150 but there are some builds that work well at SL 135. Pick one of these two...not like it matters, anyways :/

Ds1 has sold around 2,3 million(including rerelease with DLC) after 2 years on all 3 platforms. DS2 will probably have similar numbers unless they get DLC to boost sales.

Kanedias

Savant
I just read something in reddit about how the guard break and parry animations look like they should be switched around, and it makes too much sense. Not only is it more logic that a parry simply makes the opponent stagger while a hit powerful enough to break their guard sends them to the ground, it would be great for gameplay as well: having a reduced window for riposting would nerf roll parries and such.

praetor

Arcane
I just read something in reddit about how the guard break and parry animations look like they should be switched around, and it makes too much sense. Not only is it more logic that a parry simply makes the opponent stagger while a hit powerful enough to break their guard sends them to the ground, it would be great for gameplay as well: having a reduced window for riposting would nerf roll parries and such.

haha.. was reading the same thing :)

it would also make sense for the riposte window to be tied to where the parry was executed along the weapon (i.e. parry the tip and you'll barely have enough time to riposte, parry the hand up close and the window will be enough to switch weapons through the menu or something...). anyway, BS and roll parries need to be patched. it's way more broken than backstabs in DaS1 ever were (and if it's not patched, it will be used as much if not more)

Kanedias

Savant
I still think backstabs in Dark Souls 1 were worse because that's how they were supposed to work, while this is an exploit.

I actually believe From will patch this reasonably fast. They got rid of the phantom ripostes and backstabs quite fast, so there's hope.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

"much"? highly unlikely. as of now, from that article, DaS2 has shipped as much as DaS1 has sold, and somebody on reddit going by steamstats and far fire site stats has calculated that roughly 250k have bought it on PC

Farfire is probably somewhat outdated, since that would be a very low total player count to allow for 80k concurrent at one point.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

haha.. was reading the same thing :)

it would also make sense for the riposte window to be tied to where the parry was executed along the weapon (i.e. parry the tip and you'll barely have enough time to riposte, parry the hand up close and the window will be enough to switch weapons through the menu or something...). anyway, BS and roll parries need to be patched. it's way more broken than backstabs in DaS1 ever were (and if it's not patched, it will be used as much if not more)

As long as Monastery Scimitar is not nerfed I'm cool with this.

btw

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom