Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That ENB looks very good too bad Boris is such an asshole and looks like he won't be updating it for DS2
I use Durante's and while it doesn't look as magestic it does the job quite nicely and its SAOO and DoF option (along with the supersampling) are worth it to me more than a pretty desaturated look

praetor

Arcane
i'm betting the Giant lord and The Rotten got so many kills because of all the ascetic farming there. RRA is because of all the retarded hitboxes of that fight, Vendick and AD because of all the shitty OHKO lameness. Nashandra is quite surprising. i wonder if those stats counted curses as deaths. the amount of deaths at Magus is flabbergasting. can't believe more people die at his hands than Throne duo, Mytha (considering the shitloads of people i co-oped with who did not know about the idiotically cryptic poison) or Lost Sinner

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
i'm betting the Giant lord and The Rotten got so many kills because of all the ascetic farming there. RRA is because of all the retarded hitboxes of that fight, Vendick and AD because of all the shitty OHKO lameness. Nashandra is quite surprising. i wonder if those stats counted curses as deaths. the amount of deaths at Magus is flabbergasting. can't believe more people die at his hands than Throne duo, Mytha (considering the shitloads of people i co-oped with who did not know about the idiotically cryptic poison) or Lost Sinner

It's easy to get smashed by a lightning bolt if you're not paying attention during the magus fight.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Honestly I'm very surprised so few people died to Belfry goyles. I guess all the noobs can't make it through Luna.

anyway, BS and roll parries need to be patched. it's way more broken than backstabs in DaS1 ever were (and if it's not patched, it will be used as much if not more)

It'd be pretty hard for anything to reach the metagame saturation that backstabs were at in DeS/DkS1.

While backstep/roll parries are annoying, they don't invalidate entire weapon-sets or builds in the way that roll-backstabs and poise-backstabs did. A majority of the attacks in DkS1 were punishable by one of these techniques, and many builds had no way to profitably attack poise tanks or to attack at all (heavy weapons). Yeah, backstabs (that weren't Hornet Ring enhanced) did a little less damage in DkS1, but there was the absolute retardation of chain-backstabs, because From doesn't understand the idea of wakeup i-frames actually extending all the way through the animation or the idea of implementing reversals.

Also, if the rumors about the Monastery Scimitar are true, that it has a significantly larger parry window combined with the Curved Sword nigh-instantaneous active frames, that might be almost as bad as backstep parries. At the very least, it probably contributes to the increased degeneracy of that technique. I've noticed a huge upswing in Monastery Scimitar use (in the off-hand) and it seems to make parrying into E-Z Mode. I've been reaction-parried even when using some highly unpredictable techniques, like switching out a buffed-weapon to a different one, in mid-run, solely for surprise/unpredictability factor.

DragoFireheart

Also, if the rumors about the Monastery Scimitar are true, that it has a significantly larger parry window combined with the Curved Sword nigh-instantaneous active frames, that might be almost as bad as backstep parries. At the very least, it probably contributes to the increased degeneracy of that technique. I've noticed a huge upswing in Monastery Scimitar use (in the off-hand) and it seems to make parrying into E-Z Mode. I've been reaction-parried even when using some highly unpredictable techniques, like switching out a buffed-weapon to a different one, in mid-run, solely for surprise/unpredictability factor.

And then they eat 3 bolts to the face since they don't have a shield.

Not saying it ISN'T broken btw.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Honestly I'm very surprised so few people died to Belfry goyles. I guess all the noobs can't make it through Luna.

I think it's more likely they simply don't find it. Ancient Dragon would likely have more kills if it was obvious that you can fight him, as well. In comparison, everyone tries fighting Vendrick at least once.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Ancient Dragon would likely have more kills if it was obvious that you can fight him, as well.

How is a giant dragon not something obvious that you can fight?

I mean, he's an NPC that you talk to, and isn't automatically hostile. Believe it or not, not all players will try fighting that, or they'll try once, get oneshot, and give up. See the Everlasting Dragon in DaS1 as well, almost nobody tries to attack him without knowing that you can cut off the tail beforehand.

Meanwhile, Vendrick is a huge lore figure that you keep hearing about for the entire game, so he has more appeal in this sense.

DragoFireheart

Ancient Dragon would likely have more kills if it was obvious that you can fight him, as well.

How is a giant dragon not something obvious that you can fight?

I mean, he's an NPC that you talk to, and isn't automatically hostile. Believe it or not, not all players will try fighting that, or they'll try once, get oneshot, and give up. See the Everlasting Dragon in DaS1 as well, almost nobody tries to attack him without knowing that you can cut off the tail beforehand.

But he's a dragon!

That's like the RPG equivalent of a green-light to do something!

I WANT TO KILL A DRAGON

aris

Arcane

DragoFireheart

I'm really surprised to see that vendrick and the ancient dragon isn't above. I didn't have so much problem with Freja, but vendrick took a LOT of tries, and the ancient dragon I just gave up on.

Ancient Dragon is one of those bosses where if you aren't using the right gear and don't understand his patterns you die almost instantly. But once you get the trick he's piss easy and can be beat without much effort and without taking any damage.

aris

Arcane
I'm really surprised to see that vendrick and the ancient dragon isn't above. I didn't have so much problem with Freja, but vendrick took a LOT of tries, and the ancient dragon I just gave up on.

Ancient Dragon is one of those bosses where if you aren't using the right gear and don't understand his patterns you die almost instantly. But once you get the trick he's piss easy and can be beat without much effort and without taking any damage.
I dunno, I always got one shotted by his flame from above attack, and it feel extremely random whether you get hit by it or not. If he starts with the flame attack smack in the middle of where you are starting, which he does most of the time, there is no way you can escape. So much for telegraphing the attack.

DragoFireheart

I dunno, I always got one shotted by his flame from above attack, and it feel extremely random whether you get hit by it or not. If he starts with the flame attack smack in the middle of where you are starting, which he does most of the time, there is no way you can escape. So much for telegraphing the attack.

How to beat ancient dragon:
Step 1: Wear a fuck ton of fire resistance gear. Use fire-resistant spells (Flash Sweat, Great Magic Barrier, etc). Ignore any other defenses.
Step 2: Encounter the dragon.
Step 3: Wait in front of him. If he breathes in front, go to next step. If he flies up, go to step 5. If his life bar is 0%, go to step 6.
Step 4: Run around his breath attack and attack his foot and/or shoot him. Go back to Step 3.
Step 5: Haul ass by running AWAY from him. Do not run under him. Ensure you are not cornered. If you have enough fire resistance you should not die in one hit. Go back to Step 3.
Step 6: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3317209670681560068/6708408561DB84AEC55A0200A057E11410EF1978/

Edward_R_Murrow

Note that Whips can not be parried. Also, I believe some two-handed weapons can't be parried (Ultras and such).

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
How to beat ancient dragon:
Step 1: get nekked, equip tearstone ring, fall from ledge until almost dead, grab your weapon with 2 hands
Step 2: run to him from the left, hit his front claw for all stamina
Step 3: Wait until he flaps wings and run back to the fog door screaming like a psycho
Repeat 2&3 until (dragon) is dead

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

In other words a poorly designed boss :/

Kanedias

Savant
anyway, BS and roll parries need to be patched. it's way more broken than backstabs in DaS1 ever were (and if it's not patched, it will be used as much if not more)

It'd be pretty hard for anything to reach the metagame saturation that backstabs were at in DeS/DkS1.

While backstep/roll parries are annoying, they don't invalidate entire weapon-sets or builds in the way that roll-backstabs and poise-backstabs did. A majority of the attacks in DkS1 were punishable by one of these techniques, and many builds had no way to profitably attack poise tanks or to attack at all (heavy weapons). Yeah, backstabs (that weren't Hornet Ring enhanced) did a little less damage in DkS1, but there was the absolute retardation of chain-backstabs, because From doesn't understand the idea of wakeup i-frames actually extending all the way through the animation or the idea of implementing reversals.

I have the Monastery Scimitar and I'm not sure if it has more parry frames in total, but I know for a fact that they start literally instantly. I tried it against the Royal Swordsman enemies in order to test it and you can wait until their swords are so close that they look like they're hitting you, you press L2 and get the parry. In PvP latency makes it so that your parry can still be too late (especially for me, I have a lot of latency) but it's still noticeably better than the Warped Sword for parrying (I use the Warped Sword on another of my characters)

--

On another note, I was rewatching the Cursed trailer and I noticed something that upsetted me.

At 2:10 you can see one of those awful Harvest Valley enemies doing a really fast attack that they do not have in game. Why the fuck did they cut that attack? That move is a very fast melee attack, and if they had that kind of moveset they would be threatening and interesting, but instead we got what is probably the worst enemy type in this game. They make the Undead Jailors (mummies) in the Bastille look like Ornstein and Smough.

That part of the trailer is in-game footage. It means that move was already implemented in some pre-release build.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
It's hard to say how fast it was given we only get to see the last few frames. But any decent attack would have been an improvement for those... things.

Murk

Arcane
The ENB things make the dark areas actually dark, which seems appealing -- but when I see the lit up areas like Majula they look horrible.

I replayed DS 1 for comparison last night and DS 1 is wayyy darker, even in "non dark" areas.

Is there any word on if they made the game 'lighter' last minute? The lighting seems haphazard and source-less, as if the very walls of castles themselves emit light.

Now the torch is primarily to see ledges under shallow water and to light shit (which is still p fun).

There are some areas that use environmental things so well, and other areas that they seem to have just forgotten about the environment all together. Fire arrows lighting oil ponds, especially in black gulch, are a great idea. AND THEN NEVER AGAIN. And early on powder kegs that also just... disappear.

Yeah bros... I just tried roll-parrying on a havel spin-to-winner... I felt dirtier than one-shotting people with invisible mundane avelyns. At least backstep parries have an animation for them but this shit is just a bug.

abija

Prophet
Idk... if I tune it so I don't see the dragon in that option screen (which means some stupid settings on monitor on top of game brightness to minimum) the game is pretty dark.

DragoFireheart

Kanedias

Savant
Yesterday, a friend of mine fought a backstep parry-spamming buffed chaos blade rank 3 player in the arena. I just faced the exact same guy and I roll parried him, and I got hatemail for being dishonorable :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom