Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
It'd be pretty hard for anything to reach the metagame saturation that backstabs were at in DeS/DkS1.

While backstep/roll parries are annoying, they don't invalidate entire weapon-sets or builds in the way that roll-backstabs and poise-backstabs did. A majority of the attacks in DkS1 were punishable by one of these techniques, and many builds had no way to profitably attack poise tanks or to attack at all (heavy weapons). Yeah, backstabs (that weren't Hornet Ring enhanced) did a little less damage in DkS1, but there was the absolute retardation of chain-backstabs, because From doesn't understand the idea of wakeup i-frames actually extending all the way through the animation or the idea of implementing reversals.

Also, if the rumors about the Monastery Scimitar are true, that it has a significantly larger parry window combined with the Curved Sword nigh-instantaneous active frames, that might be almost as bad as backstep parries. At the very least, it probably contributes to the increased degeneracy of that technique. I've noticed a huge upswing in Monastery Scimitar use (in the off-hand) and it seems to make parrying into E-Z Mode. I've been reaction-parried even when using some highly unpredictable techniques, like switching out a buffed-weapon to a different one, in mid-run, solely for surprise/unpredictability factor.

dude, backstep parry literally invalidates every melee weapon other than whips, ultras and greathammers (whose 2H movesets cannot be parried). so you're left only with magic, which is mostly piss easy to dodge, and there's also armour combinations that can (with GMB) almost negate most of it anyway. plus, it's way waaay easier to pull off than any of the more advanced backstab (i.e. more advanced than the basic backstab) techniques in DaS1. how's that not more broken than backstabs? do you enjoy fighting powerstanced mundane havelyns? because that's all that's left if this doesn't get patched out

and people really overstate the backstab problem in DaS1 PvP. BS fishers (on PS3 at least) were barely more common than cheaters (on PC), and very easy to counter backstab. plus, you really had to know what you were doing with heavy weapons. i never managed to be good with them, but i've fought plenty of folks that "wrekt d00ds" with the heaviest weapons (zwei being a classic example, as was the large club). chain backstabs were stupid, but most people realized the retardation and were quickly de-mode (i don't think i've been chain-BSed a single time in the whole of 2012. sure, i'm only one sample, but if they were as prevalent as people make it out to be, like f.e. giant dads, i should've faced at least one or two in a year, no?)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Well then it's settled: I'm going to make a Allahu Akbar character and master/abuse the shit out of parrying.

Swordsmen looks like a good starting class.

Murk

Arcane
My fire was "rekindled". Started an SL1 character and go through most of the mundane game (minus gutters) before starting to kill the 4 main bosses.
I like that str is doubled when two-handing, giving me the illusion of more weapon options... I hate that you start with 6 dex and so you are really only going to use a mace and a light xbow.

I guess reinforced club was really no different but eh. Mace is pretty OP anyway.

Question on resins v infusions. Assuming low stat scaling (6 in everything) which does more damage overall. +10 reg mace with gold resin or +10 lightning mace? So far it seems the standard + buff is better in nearly all cases I've encountered. Hell, on a lot of regular enemies just +10 standard no buff is better than +10 infused (unless they are specifically weak to that element).

Pyromancy is still a boss killer it seems; albeit now you have to carry some herbs around.

DragoFireheart

Main, the shit talking in this game...

So I'm doing NG+ with my Havel-strength character when I get invaded by a Resonant greatsword, GRS using, Avelyn invader. I use a giant seed and we go back and forth dealing damage to each other each of us healing and trading blows. I'm using a lightning great lance just because but I can't seem to do enough damage. He eventually kills me and sends me this message:

"sell yur gaem"

I'm like really dude? :D

My response (I really shouldn't but why not, he killed me so I may as well message him): "you're pretty average... invade me again if you want to earn that hatemail ;)"

Silence.

Kanedias

Savant
I have the Monastery Scimitar and I'm not sure if it has more parry frames in total

Does this thing drop in NG with bonfire aesthetic or do you actually have to be NG+?

You can get it with ascetics. If you're on consoles you can try to fog-farm the NPC, I haven't tried but it should work. Here's a video that shows the process with the Aurous NPC, just try to do the same by luring the Monastery NPC to the Guardian Dragon fog door.

DragoFireheart

Alright, so trying to parry with a Scimitar/Rapier is much easier compared to a medium shield.

What other non-Monastery Scimitar weapons are good parry weapons?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Those 2h mace wielding drakekeepers really are something else. :lol: They should've put in more enemies who do the same thing (keep attacking if you block). Should've had Velstadt do that as well, shit would've been so great.

praetor

Arcane
pretty cool theory on health, courtesy of reddit:
In DS1, i just took the health system as it was. You take damage, which hurts you until you die, only to be revived at a bonfire. Humanity simply artificially restored what you had lost in that process.

In DS2, however, a couple of things got me thinking "Is health really physical health?" If you're dead, why can you "die" in game? The closest thing to death for an undead is going hollow, and that has nothing to do with your body, but rather your mind. What if health was actually just a sanity meter? The more damage you take, the more pain you suffer, until you can finally take no more and give up, only to have the dark sign drag you back to your feet.

Whenever you die in DS2, you lose a bit of your max health because you are slowly but surely losing your will to fight and to go on. Human effigies reverse this because they remind you of who you are (The description says you see yourself in it). Estus flask could be a sort of pain killer instead of this magic health potion. Faith spells like "heal" have been described to be scriptures of holy text, and scale with your faith. This means they could simply revitalize you and give you hope, instead of a physical heal.

Just a couple of thoughts on the health system, what do you guys think on this?

PS This is probably completely false, just food for thought.

DragoFireheart

Dual Falchion seems pretty decent and Allah Akbary. They also have bleed on them. Love the infinite dual-wield L1 attack.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Actually, in terms of art design, Shaded Woods is the closest thing to Undead Burg. :troll:

Also, somewhat surprisingly, the foggy area is quite cool, and does induce a nice sense of paranoia as you try to explore it without getting backstabbed by a ghost.

DragoFireheart

A summary of Dark Souls 2 PvP:

Pbw8f.gif

Kanedias

Savant
Dual Falchion seems pretty decent and Allah Akbary. They also have bleed on them. Love the infinite dual-wield L1 attack.

I wonder if they could work nicely with the Shadow Gauntlets and Crest of Blood. I have always wanted to make bleed work in PvP.

Steve

Augur

DragoFireheart

Ok Codexers, I need a Allah Akbary weapon that deals Pierce damage. Maybe some kind of spear?

praetor

Arcane
Channeller's trident (because of the spinning 1HR2) is the only decent spear. you could also try the Helix halberd? (the R2 is a piercing attack)

DragoFireheart

Channeller's trident (because of the spinning 1HR2) is the only decent spear. you could also try the Helix halberd? (the R2 is a piercing attack)

And Strike weapons? The basic mace could pass for a Ottoman Mace.

I'm actually having a hard time finding a good source of arabic weapons beyond the infamous Scimitar. I'm probably going to end up making him use Mundane infusions since they highly benefit quicker weapons.

Now I just need to find some Allah Akbary/arabic armor to wear.

Last edited:

Steve

Augur
Why dex? It's the great weapons that are affected the worst.
I've never had a great weapon break on me, where as my dex character was really frustrating to play because as I had to carry multiple rapiers with me.

praetor

Arcane
I'm probably going to end up making him use Mundane infusions since they highly benefit quicker weapons.

ummm... no. Mundane has nothing to do with weapon speed. it's purely a base + scaling damage factor. if a weapon has relatively crappy base damage and not good scaling (say D or worse), the 50% reduction won't hurt that much and you'll gain lot's of scaling.

I really didn't expect to get bored of this game before even finishing it once, but it happened. Wow.. Not just locations or enemies, but even combat felt worse than DS1 to me. I might be wrong but something's off with the overall "feel" of weapons.

DragoFireheart

I'm probably going to end up making him use Mundane infusions since they highly benefit quicker weapons.

ummm... no. Mundane has nothing to do with weapon speed. it's purely a base + scaling damage factor. if a weapon has relatively crappy base damage and not good scaling (say D or worse), the 50% reduction won't hurt that much and you'll gain lot's of scaling.

I meant since the weapons are fast with low scaling (since dex is shit) and low base damage they make good Mundane candidates.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Brigand Armor seemed like most eastern oriented to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom