Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
By the way, praetor, remember that conversation we had about DaS2 PvP balancing affecting PvE negatively? You didn't believe it could happen. Well, enter DaS2 poise. Isn't it great being staggered by a single dagger hit while in heavy armor?

DramaticPopcorn

I thought he'd be bigger. Also, I couldn't manage to stop the summoning. Tried smashing the mirror with a large club, tried plinking it a bunch with ricard's, tried poise breaking the knight with the club or even darkstorm, nothing worked. I'm guessing maybe it's damage based?
He was bigger in the press demo build that I got to play

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Poise changes just sucks... We need high numbers (like 80)+ to avoid stunlocks which only available with a few armor sets. Getting stunlocked in smelter set is something...

praetor

Arcane
By the way, praetor, remember that conversation we had about DaS2 PvP balancing affecting PvE negatively? You didn't believe it could happen. Well, enter DaS2 poise. Isn't it great being staggered by a single dagger hit while in heavy armor?

but it's the same retarded shit in PvP, so what's your point? it's a shittily implemented mechanic that is entirely useless (the worst in the 3 games). afaik i said stuff that would be rebalanced to work/matter in PvP would also work/matter in PvE, i never argued that a shitty PvP mechanic would not be shitty in PvE, as far as i remember

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

but it's the same retarded shit in PvP, so what's your point? it's a shittily implemented mechanic that is entirely useless (the worst in the 3 games). afaik i said stuff that would be rebalanced to work/matter in PvP would also work/matter in PvE, i never argued that a shitty PvP mechanic would not be shitty in PvE, as far as i remember

Point is, it worked perfectly fine in PvE in DaS1 (and would work even better in DaS2 with the healing changes making chugging impossible). And yes, trying to balance PvE and PvP with the same set of mechanics often leads to results that are subpar for both. I actually can't think of a game that does this well.

On a different note, it's really puzzling how they obviously went to great lengths to make the game more difficult for melee, with various enemy and area designs, but then made miracles and hexes so overpowered. I can't tell whether that's incompetence or if they actually intend on those being the easymode option so even casuls can finish the game.

praetor

Arcane

Point is, it worked perfectly fine in PvE in DaS1 (and would work even better in DaS2 with the healing changes making chugging impossible). And yes, trying to balance PvE and PvP with the same set of mechanics often leads to results that are subpar for both. I actually can't think of a game that does this well.

balancing games is hard, From sucks at it, news at 11! thank you, captain obvious. and no, poise was most definitely not "fine" in PvE, either. it was as hilariously broken as in PvP

Murk

Arcane
I thought he'd be bigger. Also, I couldn't manage to stop the summoning. Tried smashing the mirror with a large club, tried plinking it a bunch with ricard's, tried poise breaking the knight with the club or even darkstorm, nothing worked. I'm guessing maybe it's damage based?

Possibly; make sure to hit him and not the shield.

Fire whip hits like fucking 20 times tho; so it may just be a bunch of hits at once. I'd still have to mace him 3 times after. My mace hits would do about 250 each and firewhip totaled maybe 300-400 damage (it shows individual hits not the full sum).

Unrelated wild suggestion: in ng+++++++ have it so that 7,777 pursuers all attack you at once when you get to the throne room.

JudasIscariot in NG+ he summons other players, which would definitely amp up the difficulty. I'm not sure if an aescetic will do the same trick (I assume so?)

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Also, wtf @ spider drops? I have like 3 ricard's rapiers, parrying daggers, mastodon greatswords, and some other weapon I can't remember all from the little spiders. Not the ones that are controlling a corpse; just the regular ones.

wtf?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I hate the DaS2 RNG loot drop with a passion, episode #562:

been farming the shadow doods for the last 2 days, got everything but the leggings. they just won't drop (but daggers, claws, tops and gauntlets drop like candy. i've discarded more than i can count). fuck this game

Pray to Allah and he may bless you.

Gozma

Arcane
Having quantitative style poise is a bad idea all round, they should really just work out a viable armorboy fatroll style and a dodgeboy style and balance with each being hard mutually exclusive instead of trying to make a continuum. Otherwise you just get the "find the build with the most poise you can pack onto a character with a strong dodge" effect. Or even just have fighting game style armor moves for particular weapons and forget about poise completely.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

balancing games is hard, From sucks at it, news at 11! thank you, captain obvious. and no, poise was most definitely not "fine" in PvE, either. it was as hilariously broken as in PvP

Hey, remember how you wanted me to not reply to you anymore? Let's just go back to that.

Having quantitative style poise is a bad idea all round, they should really just work out a viable armorboy fatroll style and a dodgeboy style and balance with each being hard mutually exclusive instead of trying to make a continuum. Otherwise you just get the "find the build with the most poise you can pack onto a character with a strong dodge" effect. Or even just have fighting game style armor moves for particular weapons and forget about poise completely.

I can't see why that would be the case as long as both poise and "strong dodge" use continuous scales, and offer benefits on both ends. DaS2 does have roll distance scaling with equip load, which seems to work fine. As long as neither stat is "all or nothing", equipping your character should come down to how you actually want to play, and not hitting some kind of optimum.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fucking Royal Rat Authority. Short-range melee weapon + lots of tiny enemies that swarm you = ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Beat him, but still, annoying and otherwise extremely easy. Seems to be Capra Demon 2.0.
You can always just use some firebombs/urns on them. Ranged AoE makes the fight pretty damned easy, and there's not much other use for those items.

Stonewolf

Augur
I dont get how people have issues with Royal Ray Authority. My character always managed to kill all of those small rats before the big dog finished his landing animation, after that it was easier even than Sif. The only way of fucking up that fight is probably if you aggro little rats with a bow first/trigger big one and force yourself into one vs. many fight.

Murk

Arcane
It's a sucker punch fight. You either get toxic'd and die; or kill the rats and stay behind not-sif.

If you're faith; heavenly thunder will do the trick. Otherwise, wide slashing attacks work too (greatswords). Plinking with bow is silly unless you can one-shot them. Casters can probably do it easily, too. I'm guessing most people just rush in tho.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I hate the DaS2 RNG loot drop with a passion, episode #562:

been farming the shadow doods for the last 2 days, got everything but the leggings. they just won't drop (but daggers, claws, tops and gauntlets drop like candy. i've discarded more than i can count). fuck this game

Try farming the Mad Warrior in Belfry Sol. I've got everything save his armor.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Also, wtf @ spider drops? I have like 3 ricard's rapiers, parrying daggers, mastodon greatswords, and some other weapon I can't remember all from the little spiders. Not the ones that are controlling a corpse; just the regular ones.

wtf?

Same thing happenns with petrifying dogs outside Aldia's Keep, they drop most of the rare weapons including all blackknight ones. Just be sure not to get petrified :)

Murk

Arcane
This is a bug, right? Did they fuck up a loot-drop variable? If they did, it just further proves how stupid the crows/silky stones thing is. If it was intentional then did they just phone it in last second and give a haphazard way to farm rare items? I guess I am partially glad it's there but it makes no sense.

"makes no sense"

that's a phrase that's p common; along with "how the fuck did that hit me?" for the sequel

most common phrase I said in dark souls 1 aside from "fuck fuck fuck" was "yeah, I deserved that"

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
This is a bug, right? Did they fuck up a loot-drop variable? If they did, it just further proves how stupid the crows/silky stones thing is. If it was intentional then did they just phone it in last second and give a haphazard way to farm rare items? I guess I am partially glad it's there but it makes no sense.

"makes no sense"

that's a phrase that's p common; along with "how the fuck did that hit me?" for the sequel

most common phrase I said in dark souls 1 aside from "fuck fuck fuck" was "yeah, I deserved that"

Dunno, but farmed a lot of shit (sold most of them weapons, "Gavlan wheel, Gavlan deal!") right there and they kept respawning :)

Silva

Arcane
Ok, just finished it. Man, what a huge let down. I got completely aimless from midgame forward, without even knowing why I was playing. I mean, yeah "Find souls, find bigger souls, find the king" but so what ? Ive found the old man and slayed him, and then what ? Ancient dragon who ? Big Giants what ? Sigh. The narrative in the series is already minimalist, but in this game its non-existent. Really, the game is trying hard to make the plot sound all smart and ambiguous when in truth there is no plot at all! Sure, there were mchanical improvements since the first game (like combat and multiplayer), but the world and narrative aspect is completely botched. I was thinking bout beginning a NG, but nah Im done, its not worth it.

My grade for this game: 6.5/10
(my grade for the first one: 10/10)

...and now Im curious to see how Demon Souls is.

Murk

Arcane
That's one thing the hour long critique video was spot-on for; the team mistook the obscure nature of the lore of DS 1 as "what people want" and inappropriately modeled the current game's story on that model. The story in the last game was obvious with the first 2 non-hostile things you encounter telling you "go ring the bells; one is up and one is down" at which point a giant penis literally springs from the earth and says "get the bowl; fill the bowl -- k now kill the king to be the king".

The current game's prose is on par with a middle school poem by some emo kid with black Xs over his/her hands. "Are you the new monarch? or just another pawn?" GUESS WHATS GONNA HAPPEN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom