Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Shadenuat

Arcane
Emo Garrettin'

81234456.jpg

Dat damag. u seen ever liek? 100 damage on naked ppl, 10-15 on these sorta people
daggers rule da

it+s+meant+for+massages+it+just+happens+to+be+used+_e762417b2f9a809fc85a1ee1dbf400b1.jpg

Don't think I managed to poison anyone at all in 10 fights, even after stabbing one guy 10-15 times.

Okay, next is 2 poison manikin sabers. And then I'm back to Greatclub.

edit:

:lol:

81234601.jpg

This is what you get for using cool dex roleplay weapons with ton of attack, but ~40 durability :M

edit 2
Mundane'ing all that stuff makes it kinda okay. But then other heavy weapons in my collection suffer some.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane

in the same article you linked there's a link to the interview a month before that (not 3 months before when the preorders started, not 6 months, not even a year, but a measly month before) where he said otherwise, specifically "DLC is not being considered" which means he was lying through his teeth. edit: oh, and there's no way in hell the DLC was in a "maybe we'll do it" state at the end of january, and then being announced in june/released in july. it's more than likely it was well beyond the planning stages back in january/february. so yeah, they're pulling the same stunts as other devs nowadays, but do go on, keep fanboying

i am not a fanboy and i am not blind to believe that dlc was not in production at least since last year. probably around november when they made beta and noticed they have to downgrade graphics and cut some content they couldnt finish with march launch date.

you lied that they promised in march 2014 no fucking dlc. and its me who is a retard just for proving you wrong:lol::lol::lol:

praetor

Arcane
where did i say in march? can you read? i said 4 months ago. i missed by 1.5 months. you did not prove anybody wrong, you just provided an interview where the director contradicts his own interview from a month prior and confirm my point of them using scumbag PR tactics and lying all day long just like every other modern day dev. nothing in your post proves anything i wrote wrong, except that i missed my ballpark figure of 4months ago by 1.5 month, but of course that went over your head since fanboys are known to lack logical and critical thinking abilities and love grasping at straws to "prove someone wrong".

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Netcode is about the same as in previous Souls games. Honestly, it's probably very difficult to build good netcode for this kind of combat system. Even fighting games (closest equivalent I can think of) usually get it wrong, and they are much simpler mechanically.

If having glitches (which are obscure enough that they don't affect gameplay unless you intentionally produce them) meant that something was "amateurishly coded", then there are no non-amateur coders in the world.

Everything else you've so generally listed, Eddy, has nothing to do with coding. Well, strictly speaking, hitboxes might, but it's way more likely to be a problem with the content itself - that is, some hitboxes are poorly defined, rather than hit detection in general being faulty.

Posts like these boggle the mind at how someone can perform the mental gymnastics necessary to avoid cognitive dissonance.

You do realize what you just said? You said the netcode is usually done wrong (which implies it can be done right). Then you retreat to a strawman that no one made claim to. Finally, you try to claim Eddy wasn't talking about coding and then attempt to side-step the fact that hitboxes are in fact coding.

You basically admitted that From could code well if they weren't amateurish.

Oh, please. Like half this thread is endless hyperbole about how horrible the game is and related Codexian herpaderp, but you single that out as a strawman? I know you are extremely upset about From ruining your precious PvP, but try to get some perspective, bro.

Part of this is probably me replying to both eddy and praetor at the same time and not separating the answers cleanly, but somehow I get the feeling you'd find a way to not understand a clear answer either. I suppose I'll try anyway. Bullet points to make it easier for you:

- If the netcode proves the "coding" to be amateurish, then it was amateurish in previous Souls games as well. I personally think this is a fairly difficult problem to solve, and very few (vaguely similar) games succeed at it. If you're interested in a more detailed discussion of the Souls networking model, I'm all for it.

- Hitboxes are not coding, in the same way models or animations are not coding, they're assets with some additional parameters (how fast an animation plays in real-time, for example). Hit detection is an engine feature that is used to decide when an attack connects - this can be done by simply looking at collision between hitboxes, but that's not the only way. This is coding. By all counts, the hit detection in DaS2 is fine in general, but some hitboxes are poorly defined for whatever reason.

Now, being a programmer myself, maybe I just don't want to accept the general amateurishness of my profession, but, to me, poorly coded games are ones like Skyrim PC, which was compiled without safe optimization flags (thinking about that still blows my mind), or CPU-bound games which only use two cores, like some Ubisoft games or X Rebirth.

Funnily enough, Eddy didn't bring up the one obvious example of poor coding in DaS2 - certain mechanics being dependent on framerate. I could understand this in DaS1, but the second one runs unlocked on consoles as well, so I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking there.

Netcode is about the same as in previous Souls games. Honestly, it's probably very difficult to build good netcode for this kind of combat system. Even fighting games (closest equivalent I can think of) usually get it wrong, and they are much simpler mechanically.

If having glitches (which are obscure enough that they don't affect gameplay unless you intentionally produce them) meant that something was "amateurishly coded", then there are no non-amateur coders in the world.

Everything else you've so generally listed, Eddy, has nothing to do with coding. Well, strictly speaking, hitboxes might, but it's way more likely to be a problem with the content itself - that is, some hitboxes are poorly defined, rather than hit detection in general being faulty.

it's either a) the netcode is significantly worse than DaS1 and DeS or b) the hitboxes are handled very, very poorly (mind-boggingly retarded, i'd say) where your own hitbox stays behind you for like half a fucking second for the enemy to attack/a player to backstab you (which is made even worse in PvP by the usually poor From netcode). and if tying durability to FPSs is not "amateur hour", i don't know what is

and the whole clusterfuck of the game where they can't decide if they want to be a sequel to DeS or DaS, the plenty of "for the lulz" shit in it, and the incredibly idiotic implementation of Soul Memory scream "game design amateur hour"

edit: and there's the whole marketing stunt with the graphics downgrade like a month before release, the shitloads of broken promises, this whole season pass and DLC in 3 chunks one month from each other 4 months after the release, 4 months after one of the directors stated in an interview it's highly unlikely there'll be any DLCs since the game is complete... From have turned into just another game studio, doing what every other scumbag studio does, lying through their teeth for that 1% more profit

Tying durability to FPS is indeed the one obvious example of poor coding in the game. On the whole though, I'd say it's quite well made from a technical standpoint. No crashes, no game-breaking bugs, no blatantly obvious glitches, PC version runs well on crappy hardware (console ports often run like shit for no apparent reason). Only technical issues are relatively minor stuff, like it not playing well with some TVs, or defaulting to directinput controllers over xinput if given the choice.

I mean, if this is "amateurishly coded", then Troika games would be some kind of insane black hole of incompetence.

I do agree that the design is a bit all over the place, I just took issue with From's programmers getting blamed for shit that's not really their fault.

where did i say in march? can you read? i said 4 months ago. i missed by 1.5 months. you did not prove anybody wrong, you just provided an interview where the director contradicts his own interview from a month prior and confirm my point of them using scumbag PR tactics and lying all day long just like every other modern day dev. nothing in your post proves anything i wrote wrong, except that i missed my ballpark figure of 4months ago by 1.5 month, but of course that went over your head since fanboys are known to lack logical and critical thinking abilities and love grasping at straws to "prove someone wrong".
its june already so 4 months ago was february. the interview you were referring to was from december so you missed by 3 months not 1.5. deal with it faggot:troll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Okay I'm done with PvP for now. I could live with atrocious hitboxes and lags, but I can't stand clowns.
And now everybody dresses up like a clown.

Fucking clowns are scary man.

But seriously, I can live up with a lot of shit, but I can't fight day after day people with different nicknames but who all look absolutely the same and use same tactics and weapons. It's dull. And every fight proves what trash many weapons are, and how you are forever a slave of your weapon move set.
Fuck it, I quit. Will wait for new PvE content. Maybe will make NG character and rush game without killing anything but bosses, fight at level ~100 on Arena of Blood. Maybe will make a wizard in funny hat. I dunno.

Btw are there hacks for this game? Okay screw the laggers, but today I've met a guy who was invulnerable to my damage without any lags. Like, backstab and numbers aren't even flying, multiple times. Didn't see any buffs on him. Oh an regular hits also didn't do damage, so it wasn't the ring.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It's funny reading these kinds of posts where people describe the PvP as if everyone and their mother would run the same tryhard build etc. While I have seen maybe 3-4 people using those avelyns back then, I see all kinds of wonky characters with different armors, weapons etc. Maybe I am just lucky? Or maybe PvP on Iron Bridge (where I mostly summon dragon people for duels) is more of an everything goes area?

It's funny reading these kinds of posts where people describe the PvP as if everyone and their mother would run the same tryhard build etc. While I have seen maybe 3-4 people using those avelyns back then, I see all kinds of wonky characters with different armors, weapons etc. Maybe I am just lucky? Or maybe PvP on Iron Bridge (where I mostly summon dragon people for duels) is more of an everything goes area?
dude if you are not facing havelyn mages sls 838 every time you invade/duel you must be lying fanboy who spent less than 5 hours in pvp:lol:

truth is as broken as pvp is in DS2 its community is 10 times more creative than Des/DS1 ever was

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Well I have only played 43 hours (120 hours when combined with Xbox version) and I've seen maybe... 5 people in Havel armour, same amount of people wearing smelter armour (which is similar to Havels in stats, right?)
Not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. :) Only thing I see a plenty is people simply spamming magic...

Shadenuat

Arcane
What's your SL/SM?

The dragonbros often have more variable builds, because they don't lose anything and probably don't care that much for a win - they can be backstabbed right when summoned, they can heal. When I was dragonbroing I also thought "well I don't lose anything/can heal/faggots will kill me on spawn anyway, so I'll use whatever I want".

Blood Arena otoh, while being most "fair" (no interruptions) way of PvPing, is a real nightmare. I guess I understand why cause ppl want to get a rank, but then same shit happens with invaders/invading all the time.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I think I'm around SL 190 or so, Soul Memory 5 Million. I was initially very scared of going to NG+ since I use a very larpy/suboptimal build (only using melee weapons that look like real weapons, Longsword etc) but I was surprised I can still hold my own in combat. That's why I don't get all those complaints. :P

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think I'm around SL 190 or so, Soul Memory 5 Million. I was initially very scared of going to NG+ since I use a very larpy/suboptimal build (only using melee weapons that look like real weapons, Longsword etc) but I was surprised I can still hold my own in combat. That's why I don't get all those complaints. :P
You don't get all the complaints because your Soul Memory isn't maxed out yet.

praetor

Arcane
its june already so 4 months ago was february. the interview you were referring to was from december so you missed by 3 months not 1.5. deal with it faggot:troll:

today is 5.6.2014. so four months ago was 5.2.2014. and the interview i was referring to was given on 20.12.2013. so it's exactly 1 month and 16 days prior to my general ballpark figure (so exactly 1.5 months). i guess potatoes are added and substracted differently in poland than in the rest of the world. no wonder you're so stupid when you can't handle even the most basic math

Tying durability to FPS is indeed the one obvious example of poor coding in the game. On the whole though, I'd say it's quite well made from a technical standpoint. No crashes, no game-breaking bugs, no blatantly obvious glitches, PC version runs well on crappy hardware (console ports often run like shit for no apparent reason). Only technical issues are relatively minor stuff, like it not playing well with some TVs, or defaulting to directinput controllers over xinput if given the choice.

I mean, if this is "amateurishly coded", then Troika games would be some kind of insane black hole of incompetence.

I do agree that the design is a bit all over the place, I just took issue with From's programmers getting blamed for shit that's not really their fault.

it was pretty bad on release when half the people on PC couldn't even start the game. or the game-breaking bug with the entrance to Drangleic castle (may have been fixed before PC release, don't remember which patch came when). glitches there are plenty (feel free to peruse youtube for many funky stuff, from the parrywalk to funky disco colours) but those are a dime a dozen in almost every other game ever made and numerically there are probably less in DaS2 than the average, but those that are there are pretty bad (and perhaps not quite "blatantly obvious" but they're easily exploited and reproduced and found on youtube in 2secs). the porting is pretty damn good and i'm honestly surprised they couldn't squeeze out a bit more juice from the consoles considering how well it runs even on crappy pcs and still looks better than the console coutnerparts (speaking of which: damn those loading times... holy shit, it's like 1970 again and it's loading from those commodore64 tapes)

and once again, it's either a) the netcode is roughly the same as previous Souls game (i.e. pretty bad) but the handling of the hitboxes is beyond moronic (the most likely scenario considering it happens also offline) or b) the netcode is even worse; because nothing else explains the amount of laggy hits and backstabs that dwarfs everything in DaS1 and the really poor netcode in DeS. even the matchmaking (SM not withstanding) is absurdly poor, making even DaS1 before the first patch look good... i've gone in game for a couple of hours with every single summoning/invasion failing on multiple occasions. never happened even in pre-patch DaS1

i thought that Troika games are badly coded was common knowledge :P (still did not prevent me from enjoying them)

p.s. i'm also a programmer by trade :P

What's your SL/SM?

The dragonbros often have more variable builds, because they don't lose anything and probably don't care that much for a win - they can be backstabbed right when summoned, they can heal. When I was dragonbroing I also thought "well I don't lose anything/can heal/faggots will kill me on spawn anyway, so I'll use whatever I want".

Blood Arena otoh, while being most "fair" (no interruptions) way of PvPing, is a real nightmare. I guess I understand why cause ppl want to get a rank, but then same shit happens with invaders/invading all the time.
i have 3 different characters

ng+ sl150 sm 15mln
ng sl150 sm 9ml
ng sl 135 sm 5ml

and while BoB arena is full of tryhards/minmax builds and bellfry covenant is gank fest full of scrubs all other shit like fight clubs, pvp on iron bridge/heides tower, dragonbros work fine

today is 5.6.2014. so four months ago was 5.2.2014. and the interview i was referring to was given on 20.12.2013. so it's exactly 1 month and 16 days prior to my general ballpark figure (so exactly 1.5 months). i guess potatoes are added and substracted differently in poland than in the rest of the world. no wonder you're so stupid when you can't handle even the most basic math
you clearly take this game and codex to serious

praetor

Arcane
that's a really fine excuse for your poor grasp of kindergarten level math. no, seriously :hahano:

abija

Prophet
dude if you are not facing havelyn mages sls 838 every time you invade/duel you must be lying fanboy who spent less than 5 hours in pvp:lol:

truth is as broken as pvp is in DS2 its community is 10 times more creative than Des/DS1 ever was
Depends a lot where you PvP. I lvled my 170 char to 250 in around 20 hours (might be wrong but it's like 7-8 days of playing in the evening so I'd estimate at 20) of waiting for invaders in NG+ heide (I doubt I won more than 50%).

so you somehow missed :troll: at the end of my post?
:troll:

Depends a lot where you PvP. I lvled my 170 char to 250 in around 20 hours (might be wrong but it's like 7-8 days of playing in the evening so I'd estimate at 20) of waiting for invaders in NG+ heide (I doubt I won more than 50%).
well you cant move more than 20 feets before you get invaved by bluefag in heide in ng+.

Shadenuat

Arcane
arena is full of tryhards/minmax builds and bellfry covenant is gank fest full of scrubs all other shit like fight clubs, pvp on iron bridge/heides tower, dragonbros work fine
They're not "fine". You have same chance of being summoned into a ganksquad multiple times or by some derp hexer who will fuck you up when you wave/buff as into a fight club. And even there people usually play with same weapons - greatswords, katanas, maybe a curved greatsword and a few halberds/random powerstancing shit, plus spells. Maybe arena holder will fight you with his bare hands for the lulz. And when you summon yourself you can run around summoning signs for hours checking on weapons and you will see the same boring shit over and over. Four out of five people will wear jesters/ironclad torso and often compliment it with other identical armor pieces.

Oh and yeah, blue/blood invasion can consistently ruin fightclubs after 15mil. Also hampers farming a lot. Shit, it even makes infusing weapons a chore. I can't infuse my weapon or get a dragonbone from dragon area now cause I get invaded all the time. I am so tired of this that I just infuse undressed and go die to the mobs if I get invaded near McDuff.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
arena is full of tryhards/minmax builds and bellfry covenant is gank fest full of scrubs all other shit like fight clubs, pvp on iron bridge/heides tower, dragonbros work fine
They're not "fine". You have same chance of being summoned into a ganksquad multiple times or by some derp hexer who will fuck you up when you wave/buff as into a fight club. And even there people usually play with same weapons - greatswords, katanas, maybe a curved greatsword and a few halberds/random powerstancing shit, plus spells. Maybe arena holder will fight you with his bare hands for the lulz. And when you summon yourself you can run around summoning signs for hours checking on weapons and you will see the same boring shit over and over. Four out of five people will wear jesters/ironclad torso and often compliment it with other identical armor pieces.

Ironically I'm now very good at fighting katana users due to how many I've run into. Greatswords are best weapon group (much like in DS1...)

Oh and yeah, blue/blood invasion can consistently ruin fightclubs after 15mil. Also hampers farming a lot. Shit, it even makes infusing weapons a chore. I can't infuse my weapon or get a dragonbone from dragon area now cause I get invaded all the time. I am so tired of this that I just infuse undressed and go die to the mobs if I get invaded near McDuff.

Try burning humanity at a bonfire if you get desperate.

I wonder if Defender Greatsword will get nerfed. Even without its self-buff it can hit quite hard and the moveset is easy to use. I like it much more than Syan's Halberd as I have found it works better against backstab fishers.

Try burning humanity at a bonfire if you get desperate.
try company of champions. i heard it disables online interactions:troll:

DragoFireheart

Oh, please. Like half this thread is endless hyperbole about how horrible the game is and related Codexian herpaderp, but you single that out as a strawman? I know you are extremely upset about From ruining your precious PvP, but try to get some perspective, bro.

Part of this is probably me replying to both eddy and praetor at the same time and not separating the answers cleanly, but somehow I get the feeling you'd find a way to not understand a clear answer either. I suppose I'll try anyway. Bullet points to make it easier for you:

- If the netcode proves the "coding" to be amateurish, then it was amateurish in previous Souls games as well. I personally think this is a fairly difficult problem to solve, and very few (vaguely similar) games succeed at it. If you're interested in a more detailed discussion of the Souls networking model, I'm all for it.

- Hitboxes are not coding, in the same way models or animations are not coding, they're assets with some additional parameters (how fast an animation plays in real-time, for example). Hit detection is an engine feature that is used to decide when an attack connects - this can be done by simply looking at collision between hitboxes, but that's not the only way. This is coding. By all counts, the hit detection in DaS2 is fine in general, but some hitboxes are poorly defined for whatever reason.

Now, being a programmer myself, maybe I just don't want to accept the general amateurishness of my profession, but, to me, poorly coded games are ones like Skyrim PC, which was compiled without safe optimization flags (thinking about that still blows my mind), or CPU-bound games which only use two cores, like some Ubisoft games or X Rebirth.

Funnily enough, Eddy didn't bring up the one obvious example of poor coding in DaS2 - certain mechanics being dependent on framerate. I could understand this in DaS1, but the second one runs unlocked on consoles as well, so I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking there.

Technically the entire game is code outside of art assets and music/sound, but that's semantics I suppose.

I bold things you say as if they would support your argument, but those are examples of other poorly programmed games/companies with bad programmers. Troika is in fact an insane black hole of incompetence (Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines).

abija

Prophet
Well maybe point to some mature coding in this industry that doesn't involve carmack 10 years ago.
Not to mention you can't really discuss their skill level without having access to some inside info. Usually stuff programmers are blamed for is just the result of moronic and stubborn designers or cost saving choices that come from far above.
Case in point, the netcode isn't terrible because of the coding. The main issue is the peer to peer choice to save server costs. Sure you could spend 3x the amount of time you spent on the whole engine and make it 20-30% better, be proud and tell the world you have the best p2p netcode. But at the end of the day it will still be shit because it's p2p.

DragoFireheart

Well maybe point to some mature coding in this industry that doesn't involve carmack 10 years ago.

Nintendo. Say what you want about their games, but they have professional coders.

Inb4NintendoHasgottenworse

Murk

Arcane
I see havels and turtles all the goddamn time. Can't even tell what their build is unless you a see a weapon because casters, dex weapon users, str weapon users, and everything else all use havels. So damn ugly.

I can't deal with that damn jester robe so I use the gower's ring. I feel dirty doing it, but if I see a guy spawn in with a dagger I swap to it. If they are going to be asshats, then they can hack at my back while I toss repair powders for an hour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom