Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yup, looks like straight up monegrab/milking franchise for $$$.
Casualsouls

Enemies made of poison statue models sticked together totally got me

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why the fuck does every series I get interested in have a giant shit taken on them?

Fallout
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Souls
Dead Space
Resident Evil

It fucking pisses me off. ALLAH AKBAR!

Bad coding? Binoboosting, roll parrying, backstep parrying and parrywalking come to mind... Durability that depends on framerate... Hitting corpses/phantoms/roll i-frames takes away shitloads of durability when slamming things in shields/scenery does almost nothing.

But at least they are finally coming out with a patch (not calibration) that fixes binoboosting/parrywalking. I doubt they'll touch anything else though.

BTW fighting darklurker on max bonfire intensity with full dark protection gear + gmb is a joke (unless you get hit by the fire orbs). Around 930 dark defense his dark attacks do 0 damage.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Netcode is about the same as in previous Souls games. Honestly, it's probably very difficult to build good netcode for this kind of combat system. Even fighting games (closest equivalent I can think of) usually get it wrong, and they are much simpler mechanically.

If having glitches (which are obscure enough that they don't affect gameplay unless you intentionally produce them) meant that something was "amateurishly coded", then there are no non-amateur coders in the world.

Everything else you've so generally listed, Eddy, has nothing to do with coding. Well, strictly speaking, hitboxes might, but it's way more likely to be a problem with the content itself - that is, some hitboxes are poorly defined, rather than hit detection in general being faulty.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Netcode is about the same as in previous Souls games. Honestly, it's probably very difficult to build good netcode for this kind of combat system. Even fighting games (closest equivalent I can think of) usually get it wrong, and they are much simpler mechanically.

If having glitches (which are obscure enough that they don't affect gameplay unless you intentionally produce them) meant that something was "amateurishly coded", then there are no non-amateur coders in the world.

Everything else you've so generally listed, Eddy, has nothing to do with coding. Well, strictly speaking, hitboxes might, but it's way more likely to be a problem with the content itself - that is, some hitboxes are poorly defined, rather than hit detection in general being faulty.

Posts like these boggle the mind at how someone can perform the mental gymnastics necessary to avoid cognitive dissonance.

You do realize what you just said? You said the netcode is usually done wrong (which implies it can be done right). Then you retreat to a strawman that no one made claim to. Finally, you try to claim Eddy wasn't talking about coding and then attempt to side-step the fact that hitboxes are in fact coding.

You basically admitted that From could code well if they weren't amateurish.

If having glitches (which are obscure enough that they don't affect gameplay unless you intentionally produce them)
The stupid high FPS durability bug gets me all the time. Even before I knew it existed, every once in a while I'd look at my halberd and notice half its durability had just gone. I only found out what was happening when I did more research after I hit Dragonrider as he died, since I realised there was no way it could be working correctly when I got the weapon at risk warning and broke it on the same swing.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Marketing plants fighting the good fight:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/27aswt/dark_souls_2_dlc_trailer/

"It's not really a season pass the way you think it is. It's more like a bundle where you buy all three at a discount."

"It's not the "season pass" you're probably thinking of. That's basically a bundle. You get all three of them at a discount. If that's a crime you better start making arrests, since almost every company that sells anything ever does that.
We don't know how big the DLC will or won't be yet. For all we know each individual pack could be the size of AotA. Don't make assumptions. When it comes out, if they're too short, then you can complain about the value."

Quote in bold is my favorite. You really have to be soulless cocksucker to do that to people.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Marketing plants fighting the good fight:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/27aswt/dark_souls_2_dlc_trailer/

"It's not really a season pass the way you think it is. It's more like a bundle where you buy all three at a discount."

"It's not the "season pass" you're probably thinking of. That's basically a bundle. You get all three of them at a discount. If that's a crime you better start making arrests, since almost every company that sells anything ever does that.
We don't know how big the DLC will or won't be yet. For all we know each individual pack could be the size of AotA. Don't make assumptions. When it comes out, if they're too short, then you can complain about the value."

Quote in bold is my favorite. You really have to be soulless cocksucker to do that to people.
Hell I've seen that logic here in the Evil Within thread.

On a side note I just remembered that console games need to go through 3 months of certification by Sony & Microsoft before going gold so they might have used that time to do this. Of course that makes me wonder about that quote about not needing to do any DLC.

I remember that amazing season's pass for bioshock infinite. A year later - one shitty arena fighting mod and two 4 hour long shitpiles released many months apart.

Bandai really want the :patriot::avatard::kwanzania:demographic.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
You think they will pull a gearbox and make a 4th piece of DLC that won't come in the season pass?

Shadenuat

Arcane
They ask me to pay half of sum I paid for game for a DLC that I can't even download yet? Wat?
I don't understand modern seller/buyer ethics...

praetor

Arcane

it's either a) the netcode is significantly worse than DaS1 and DeS or b) the hitboxes are handled very, very poorly (mind-boggingly retarded, i'd say) where your own hitbox stays behind you for like half a fucking second for the enemy to attack/a player to backstab you (which is made even worse in PvP by the usually poor From netcode). and if tying durability to FPSs is not "amateur hour", i don't know what is

and the whole clusterfuck of the game where they can't decide if they want to be a sequel to DeS or DaS, the plenty of "for the lulz" shit in it, and the incredibly idiotic implementation of Soul Memory scream "game design amateur hour"

edit: and there's the whole marketing stunt with the graphics downgrade like a month before release, the shitloads of broken promises, this whole season pass and DLC in 3 chunks one month from each other 4 months after the release, 4 months after one of the directors stated in an interview it's highly unlikely there'll be any DLCs since the game is complete... From have turned into just another game studio, doing what every other scumbag studio does, lying through their teeth for that 1% more profit

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
By the way, I can confirm that since the newest patch, overlevellers are simply unkillable.

This is worse than Bat Fog or anything that they removed.

I just fought a Numb Havel and he was taking 91 damage from my Blacksteel Katana 2h r1, 95 from the running attacks, and I managed to parry him... the riposte did 345 damage. This is with a Dagger+10, with 40 dexterity, and Ring of Blades +2.

Welcome to the new meta.

praetor

Arcane
rAQ7SDS.jpg

seems pretty likely

aris

Arcane
Interesting video about the pit, that leads down to some of my favorite areas in DS2

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
who the fuck watches these lore videos. they are honestly the gayest fucking shit. the most interesting part of the game is the lack of exposition, and then people just go and watch these autist cunts babble on about a bunch of nonsense they made up. seriously fuck off. just fuck off. fucking shitters. and he has a british accent too. fuck.

it's either a) the netcode is significantly worse than DaS1 and DeS or b) the hitboxes are handled very, very poorly (mind-boggingly retarded, i'd say) where your own hitbox stays behind you for like half a fucking second for the enemy to attack/a player to backstab you (which is made even worse in PvP by the usually poor From netcode). and if tying durability to FPS-es is not "amateur hour", i don't know what is

and the whole clusterfuck of the game where they can't decide if they want to be a sequel to DeS or DaS, the plenty of "for the lulz" shit in it, and the incredibly idiotic implementation of Soul Memory scream "game design amateur hour"

edit: and there's the whole marketing stunt with the graphics downgrade like a month before release, the shitloads of broken promises, this whole season pass and DLC in 3 chunks one month from each other 4 months after the release, 4 months after one of the directors stated in an interview it's highly unlikely there'll be any DLCs since the game is complete... From have turned into just another game studio, doing what every other scumbag studio does, lying through their teeth for that 1% more profit

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/31/dark-souls-2-dlc-may-happen-after-all

its from januay. "if game sells well we will make dlc"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom