Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And I made the counter bet to get some balance. Seeing that From has no history of releasing overpriced DLCs, I claim that my prediction is better though.
Yeah, like this:
I bet you'll need all 3 DLCs to reach the size of the Artorias DLC...
I bet you won't. Lot of speculations pulled straight out of the ass ITT for the sake of edginess right now.
And then I'm the edgy one... :roll:

aris

Arcane
huh? What is edgy about that? Lots of speculations pulled straight of the ass? That's factual observation, not being edgy.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
And I made the counter bet to get some balance.

Now we have B-Team whom's recent patch has unleased retarded Havelix and broke the game worse than the previous patch.

This is something I didn't even think about. I haven't played Dark Souls 2 for about 2 weeks or a little longer, I hopped on today and the first thing I had happen to me was being invaded by a blue numb/GMB/lightning/pokey Havel.

The Havelix's will rape you. They will take away from you everything and give you nothing. The Havelix's halberd is the patriarchy, penetrating you and violating you until you submit like a bitch in heat.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
huh? What is edgy about that? Lots of speculations pulled straight of the ass? That's factual observation, not being edgy.
Do you have ANYTHING to back your "counter bet"? No, then you're doing speculations just as I am, but acting all butthurt about mine and trying to claim moral superiority...

aris

Arcane
I will never get a dumbfuck tag, I'm too smart to get one (famous last words etc..)
Do you have ANYTHING to back your "counter bet"? No, then you're doing speculations just as I am, but acting all butthurt about mine and trying to claim moral superiority...
Yours got singled out by chance, I'm not particularly butthurt either, I don't have much of an emotional stake in this. It's just a little bit predictable, jumping on the edgy bandwagon immediatly after an announcement, when we know next to nothing. Like I said, From has no history of releasing overpriced DLCs, what more do you need for a counter bet?

Kanedias

Savant
The Iron Keep has gone through a lot of revisions, one of which is a Mordor-like area with a dark tower. Maybe the 2nd DLC is based on that.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The Iron Keep has gone through a lot of revisions, one of which is a Mordor-like area with a dark tower. Maybe the 2nd DLC is based on that.

We can only hope we can ride a giant bird and bypass it all else we would be hobbit faggots and have to carry a ring the long way around.

Murk

Arcane
All vague descriptions seem to hint that each area is a single dungeon. My guess is they will have about 2 bosses like how Old Iron Keep had smelter + he king. I HOPE they are at least large areas that are well designed but I FEAR that they are going to be small. I think I'll wait until someone reviews before shelling out cash. This smells like decline.

DLC 2 pic looks like a mash up of old monk's throne from DeS and Duke's Archives gears.

I'm not trying to be edgy, but right now the DLCs look half-assed re-used asset pieces of quick money grab.
ss_7718a46b442074bdd1cd52d2c1e186e669ceba62.1920x1080.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DA.jpg

herp derp nope:lol:

All vague descriptions seem to hint that each area is a single dungeon. My guess is they will have about 2 bosses like how Old Iron Keep had smelter + he king. I HOPE they are at least large areas that are well designed but I FEAR that they are going to be small. I think I'll wait until someone reviews before shelling out cash. This smells like decline.

i bet it will be something like that(compared to artorias dlc) :

1 dlc : royal garden area +sanctuary guardian and kalameet
2 dlc: oolacil + artorias
3 dlc: chasm of abyss + Manus

and you cant fight Kalameet unless you bought second dlc:troll:

Kanedias

Savant
I hope the areas are dense, like the Painted World of Ariamis, rather than linear (like many Dark Souls 2 areas are).

Murk

Arcane
IMO I would consider it a success if each pack is as big/good as Lost Bastille + Belfry Luna + Sinner's Rise. Hopefully a bit more, but likely not. Those three at least all connect (minus the one-way silliness of Belfry Luna), have 2 NPCs, some interconnectivity in Bastille, and offer enough bosses/shit to do to be satisfying. Ideally, they'd be bigger but... yeah.

EDIT: who the fuck still uses fireball that late in the game? And the flask is only +2?

Havel + zweihander... a fuck ton of health and stamina, and his shit is still that weak? Clearly a degenerate scrub :0/5:

well the first one will be probably cavern passage and couple levels inside of pyramid. than the second one tower with couple levels and last one will be mountain path and couple levels inside that temple. so single dlc will be much smaller than artorias dlc but all 3 together will be probably as big if not slightly bigger than that.

wasnt heides tower kingdom claimed by the sea? i wouldnt be supprised if sunken dlc takes place under heides flame tower.

i wonder what new retarded spells they will bring. i still remember cries when prepare to die edition came out

:troll:

Murk

Arcane
i mean, hexes were basically as bad before nerf

fuggin 2k damage from grs?

IMO I would consider it a success if each pack is as big/good as Lost Bastille + Belfry Luna + Sinner's Rise. Hopefully a bit more, but likely not. Those three at least all connect (minus the one-way silliness of Belfry Luna), have 2 NPCs, some interconnectivity in Bastille, and offer enough bosses/shit to do to be satisfying. Ideally, they'd be bigger but... yeah.

EDIT: who the fuck still uses fireball that late in the game? And the flask is only +2?

Havel + zweihander... a fuck ton of health and stamina, and his shit is still that weak? Clearly a degenerate scrub :0/5:

My enjoyment of DaS2 started with Bastille and ended with shitty ugly misty forest corridor inhabited by testicle men and dread-locked lion bipeds.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
AngryEddy, I thought you weren't a fan of Souls anymore after From plagiarized that graveyard from Prague.

@DLC, we'll wait and see. I personally dislike the idea of DLC in principle, and wouldn't have blindly bought Artorias of the Abyss given the chance, either, so not much has changed. I'm sure gaudaost will D1P the DaS2 ones and let us know how bad they are.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
AngryEddy, I thought you weren't a fan of Souls anymore after From plagiarized that graveyard from Prague.

I'm not a fan of From, nor am I a fan of Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 1 is still a fun game, even if they ripped off French cathedral's and other European aesthetics at a 1:1 ratio. It also doesn't help that FROM drove Armored Core in to the ground by making the most recent titles a multiplayer centric experience, which it was never supposed to be.

Last edited:
wasnt heides tower kingdom claimed by the sea? i wouldnt be supprised if sunken dlc takes place under heides flame tower.

Coincidentally, there are a couple of large doors in the area between Heide's Tower and No Man's Wharf. Doors that can't be interacted with...yet. I also wouldn't be surprised if the giant ant in the Gutter leads to one of the areas, or is in some way related to DLC locales.

Still a little apprehensive about the DLC, however. Not because I subscribe to any of the "LOL B-TEAM SUX!" silliness (Dark Souls 2 is better than both predecessors in most of the important ways), but because From has a pretty poor track record with downloadable content and all the signs point to this being a massive cash-grab with the season pass.

In retrospect, Artorias of the Abyss brought some well-crafted boss fights, but also suffered from lazy area design. While it was kind of cute, Royal Woods was basically a retexturing of Darkroot Garden/Basin. The Chasm of the Abyss was a rush job, for the most part, being a small area with rather boring enemies and enemy placement. Oolacile township was probably the best of the areas, but still lacked interesting enemy variety...the one thing that really carried Dark Souls 1 in many places (e.g. Anor Londo; an incredibly boring level design that made up for it with different foes every five minutes).

And in many cases, it smacked of Pay-To-Win. Dark Magic was probably the number one offender, being much better and more build-accessible than vanilla game options. Dark Bead and Lagsuers were relatively obnoxious in PvP, as while they weren't difficult to counter, they dealt absurd amounts of damage for low stat investment (Bead) or low risk (Pursuers), and could be nasty with any amount of latency. Pursuers was doubly annoying because the best counters, factoring in lag, were only available to DLC purchasers (Silver Pendant, for one). Putting such powerful content behind an additional paywell...well, suffice to say From's A-Team wasn't too keen on balance either (as if backstabs and poise-tanking weren't evidence enough).

Oh, and fuck season passes.

praetor

Arcane
nothing in DaS1 (or even DeS) comes close to the amateurishly coded and even more amateurishly balanced DaS2. plus, the other 2 games don't feature by far the worst thing in the entire souls series: Soul Memory.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
nothing in DaS1 (or even DeS) comes close to the amateurishly coded and even more amateurishly balanced DaS2. plus, the other 2 games don't feature by far the worst thing in the entire souls series: Soul Memory.

What's "amateurishly coded" about it, compared to the other games?

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
What's "amateurishly coded" about it

The compensation system that's built in to the netcode favors the laggier party, shield-breaks being invalidated by pressing R1 when you see the telegraph, the hitboxes are fucking horrific as anyone who is armed with DaS2 gifs can show you, there are still invisible walls in the game that will stop your attacks [one by Dragon Shrine bonfire], there are unfinished textures/meshes still in the game [again Dragon Shrine has unfinished mountains all over the place, go on the stairs and look up by the first bonfire in the undead crypt, it's fucking embarrassing] etc.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
watch any speed runa nd they spend 18 minutes fidgeting with glitches and 2 minutes 3-shotting bosses or dropping them off ledges.

It's... p bad. Tho I guess 2 of the major ones got fixed this patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom