Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Shadenuat

Arcane
The solution to P2P induced lag in seamless multiplayer is to make the multiplayer good. Great, thanks for your input.
The solution is to get rid of fucking Edgy first, because apparently MeanwhilePoland gets the better of people. If seamless multiplayer is a problem then get rid of it and replace with something more standard, that's what I meant (aka servers to play on).
Everything else is just random stuff I'd like to see in multiplayer, I am very sorry professor that I have ideas I want to talk about on a public forum and that hampers your discussion about coding.

I played a lot of multiplayer in many games over years, and I can say that DS2 hitboxes/lag is probably one of the worst things I've seen. Seeing ppl lagwalk, lagstab and getting hits all the time unless you spam spacebar like crazy and roll - whoever is responsible for this, he should me ashamed, coder/not coder.

When I was grinding BoB rank on PC around release time I kept fighting this guy named "Lagstab Coming". He was my first dual helix halberd nightmare. Boy, did I get lagstabbed to death many times.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I played a lot of multiplayer in many games over years, and I can say that DS2 hitboxes/lag is probably one of the worst things I've seen. Seeing ppl lagwalk, lagstab and getting hits all the time unless you spam spacebar like crazy and roll - whoever is responsible for this, he should me ashamed, coder/not coder.

I want to comment on this specifically. Back in the day I played Halo 1 for the original Xbox when Microsoft didn't even have Live going yet, and we had to use special programs on the PC like pre-Hamachi clients, and I still never ran in to things as embarrassing like the compensation system, or the fact that lag is common place like it is in Dark Souls 2. It is really telling to see a nearly 14 year old game with a jury rigged connection, still is more fluid than a huge commercial hit in 2014.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So what's the biggest chunk of souls you can get from killing and invader? I think I recently got 100k from one guy.

I want to comment on this specifically. Back in the day I played Halo 1 for the original Xbox when Microsoft didn't even have Live going yet, and we had to use special programs on the PC like pre-Hamachi clients, and I still never ran in to things as embarrassing like the compensation system, or the fact that lag is common place like it is in Dark Souls 2. It is really telling to see a nearly 14 year old game with a jury rigged connection, still is more fluid than a huge commercial hit in 2014.
I never played any multiplayer on consoles so people teleporting around in 1 on 1 duels is something completely new to me.

Last edited:

toroid

Arcane
They really need to do something about unreachable loot, like how it worked in DS1 where you could reload the game and make it reachable. There's a crystal lizard right next to the Chapel Threshold bonfire in Brightstone Cove that I managed to kill just as it jumped off the edge of that building. The loot fell down into the sand pit and was gone forever.. Turns out that it was Petrified Dragon Bone and Twinkling Titanite. Goddammit.

Just noticed last night that chest had magically reset itself. I was wondering wtf was going on and if I had potentially missed other loot. Thanks for posting that.

Don't mind me... I'm just showing invaders how balanced DaS2 really is:

7zndYzY.jpg

gPi55lg.jpg

bnmEzx0.jpg

GMB, Sacred Oath, Dark Weapon, Resonant Flesh, Numbness with Lingering +1

:troll:

Last edited:
I wonder if Defender Greatsword will get nerfed. Even without its self-buff it can hit quite hard
That's an understatement, in a hands of Faith build with high stats it hits like fucking ultra-greatsword with it's Lightning scaling even without buff.

Honestly, I have no idea if there's a good solution to this.
Make multiplayer good? Allow hosting passworded games so only bros could join so you can finish game jolly-cooperating with your friend. Allow hosting games per-location with dueling/free for all systems, and add mutators on top of it like "only longswords", "no healing items". Allow creating games where anyone can join freely too and kill anybody, like Hardcore in Diablo, and give achivements for it.

This sort of stuff was p. standard in shooters back in the day and even in single-player 3d person action games. Let people pvp in controlled environment to their heart's content ffs.
that would be great, like old Diablo 2:LoD games:fuuyeah:i just doubt that thats the direction From Software want to go with multiplayer. they are clearly against "organised" co-op. so far nothing more than shitty name- engraved ring. i once lost hole fucking evening trying to connect to my bro in DS1 thanks to that retarded "co-op only with random strangers" design.

praetor

Arcane
Ironclad armor is ridiculous; it offers secondary benefits of being immune to backstab while still giving huge defense and poise. Ridiculous; the jester's robe is at least a compromise of armor/poise for the secondary ability (and is rather heavy for light armor). A dichotomy like that makes sense -- get abilities, but trade defense and poise, but with something like ironclad (which nullifies the single biggest issue in a game full of shield turtling backstab fishers) you're left thinking that the game encourages this kind of dull and cheap gameplay.

ironclad is by far the heaviest chest piece (10 units heavier than havel's) and the elemental defences aren't all that great, but i do agree it needs to be one of the crappier elemental armours (i wouldn't mind if it got a 50% elemental nerf, that way the BS immunity perk should be an OK trade-off... if they ever fix SM, that is). jester's has crap physical but way too good elemental (74 across the board) and could use a nerf... you're goddamn immune to backstabs and ripostes with an armour weight of 5.7! it needs to be much crappier in stats

Can you stack those 4 buffs on each other? Why did I think you can only have one buff at a time? God I hate everything.

because it was like that in DaS1... no idea why they changed it since it worked perfectly :(

damn UndetectedButthurt , you should rename that dude to "Trying the Hardest" :)

ran yesterday in the arena into a binoboosting asshole who kept running away to heal (the "labyrinth" BoB map). fortunately he was pretty bad as he succumbed to my measly dragonslayer crescent axe

Murk

Arcane
Largest chunk I've gotten was 400k+ (but barely) from some guy who was taking like 200-300 damage per hit when others took 400-500. He was a pain in the ass, and when I got that fat piece (he was a bell invader) I was like "oh... that's why".

Helix is so goddamn retarded. And that lance stunlock, wtf. This game is so fucking broken. It works like a first generation MMO where there are 2-3 rape builds and everything else is basically larping.

and I still keep playing it. I have a problem help me someone help mee

I want a system where undected butthurt could be my blue sentinel on command and I can summon him in to kill people who invade me

side note: WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THESE GIANTS RING +2s !?

Real question: does anyone know why some spell scrolls have more castings than others? Same spell on same char? Like great light spear, I have 8 copies and 5 of them have 12 castings and 3 have 8 castings. Gear is static too, and above that I am seeing the castings in the item box menu. praetor ?

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
sell the rings to gavlan. poor thing has only the giant ring +0

the scrolls thing must be a bug. take a screenshot and submit it to bamco/from

praetor

Arcane
rumour souls:
1. the DLC content can be played by people how have not purchased the DLC by being summoned there as phantoms (translation of japanese text for DLC1)
2. the DLC will come with a ring that will disable SM and enable SL matchmaking (4chan so probably bullshit)

80Maxwell08

Arcane
That ring sounds like an interesting idea though. If the main goal of SM is to stop twinks beating people up at low level having a ring change it back to SL might be good. Of course that's only if the rumor isn't BS.

Castanova

Prophet
What the fuck is with overhead smash R1 weapons not tracking the enemies? I have the habit of holding left or right while hitting badguys so I can dodge away immediately after landing a hit. But when I do this with Sacred Chime Hammer, Gyrm Greataxe, etc., my fucking character ignores the lock-on and instead attacks in the direction I'm holding the joystick. WTF?! This makes these weapons useless as far as I'm concerned.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sounds like a common feature for heavy weapons - they attack in the direction you're moving. Try attacking with Greatsword and back-pedaling at the same time, you'll see.

It's actually a nice feature and one you have to master in PvP unless you just want to get backstabbed all day.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Honestly, I have no idea if there's a good solution to this.
Clients already do a form of lock when you start getting invaded probably to send the invader your game state. Send that to the server, spawn the instance, load the state, start summoning the phantom then sync the "host" in with the active npcs and w/e state update needs to be done.

Yeah, but can you do this shit without a loading screen? You'd need a pretty fancy engine architecture to support something like that. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any game that can do this. Theoretically, it probably runs in client/server mode locally as well, and invasions/summons are people connecting to the host's "server", so it would be a question of rehooking to a different server without alerting the host.

Honestly, I think it's simpler to keep it the way it is and give arenas dedicated hosting instead.

The solution to P2P induced lag in seamless multiplayer is to make the multiplayer good. Great, thanks for your input.
The solution is to get rid of fucking Edgy first, because apparently MeanwhilePoland gets the better of people. If seamless multiplayer is a problem then get rid of it and replace with something more standard, that's what I meant (aka servers to play on).
Everything else is just random stuff I'd like to see in multiplayer, I am very sorry professor that I have ideas I want to talk about on a public forum and that hampers your discussion about coding.

Sorry.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
rumour souls:
1. the DLC content can be played by people how have not purchased the DLC by being summoned there as phantoms (translation of japanese text for DLC1)

This seems reasonable and believable.

2. the DLC will come with a ring that will disable SM and enable SL matchmaking (4chan so probably bullshit)

B-Team may be incompetent but they do listen. Even with their terrible balancing skills they DID nerf stuff people complained about. Keeping bitching about the SM thing and this might actually come true (and wouldn't be hard to implement either). A ring that does SL matching would make everyone happy and is an easy solution programming wise.

Kanedias

Savant
I really doubt they will implement SL matchmaking via a ring. It just doesn't seem very practical...

Real question: does anyone know why some spell scrolls have more castings than others? Same spell on same char? Like great light spear, I have 8 copies and 5 of them have 12 castings and 3 have 8 castings. Gear is static too, and above that I am seeing the castings in the item box menu. praetor ?

Attunement makes you get more castings from spells at certain breakpoints. This sounds like a couple of scrolls were not affected, maybe because there's a maximum number of them that can be affected and you exceeded that, or some sort of bug.

Kanedias

Savant
I just don't see them coding a ring that completely alters the matchmaking rules. And how would it work in the arena? Plus it would be really annoying having to wear the ring all the time. I think they will either implement SL (all the time, no ring required) or they won't. I could be wrong, though.

Anyways, someone from reddit translated the japanese description of the first DLC and it apparently says

Using the "City of the Holy Cliff" (Literal translation, I don't know what it would really be called) deep underground as its stage, players are put under the challenge of retrieveing the lost crown. Players are given a choice between the normal progression route and the more difficult challenge route, allowing them to aim for a higher degree of challenge.

In addition, the challenge route is available to even players who have not purchased the DLC by way of phantom summons.

Interesting.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I just don't see them coding a ring that completely alters the matchmaking rules. And how would it work in the arena? Plus it would be really annoying having to wear the ring all the time. I think they will either implement SL (all the time, no ring required) or they won't. I could be wrong, though.

B-Team seems like a people pleasing team so you shouldn't be surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom