Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

abija

Prophet
So I'm curious, has anyone managed to play this exclusively with KB+M? and done so well?
Did in DS1, was easier for me than with gamepad. No idea why you would want to do it in 2 though.

I've been dicking around with the most insane giant weapon powerstances and nothing out-damages two mundane helix halberds with almost max stats. Dual greatswords, giant warrior clubs, king's ugs with something... I'm definitely smelling a nerf coming since this doesn't make much sense... Just like two avelyns doing 1.5k damage per shot didn't make any sense.

Murk

Arcane
Someone explain poise to me; I clearly do not understand how it works. I hit someone with black dragon greatsword and stone ring and they recover immediately -- I get hit with mastodon sword and I am stunlocked for a second straight.

Poise, how does it work?

EDIT/NVM: it's fucking lag; they go through the same stun but I don't see it.

Poise is still shit tho.

Also, fuck trying to PVP on weekends. Some servers just aren't dedicated enough.

Last edited:
Feels bad man. On a brighter note I just used the imbalance of this game to rape multiple gank squads. Bino boost after the first rush to buff with numbness/gmb then proceed to 3 shot each of them with helix halberds.

Murk

Arcane
I think I'll start my no bonfire/no death run today and try to get through it. Then I'll invisi-helix because I too aspire to be an assbutt.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
lol. there is a primordial serpent in that trailer. your gunna fight A SERPENT. GONNA FIGHT A PRIMORDIAL SERPENT BRO FUCKIN EPIC YOU KNOW THEY APPEARED IN DARK SOULS BUT YOU COULDNT FIGHT THEM CUZ THAT GAME WAS GAY THEY JUST SNORED AND SAID DUMB SHIT BUT WERE GONNA LET U KILL A FUCKIN PRIMORDIAL SERPENT GONNA KILL AN ENDLESS DRAGON TOO FUCK THOSE NIGGER THIS IS THE REAL SHIT

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I finished NG+ finally. Thoughts:

- Would've liked more changes, but it was still a major improvement over the first game. Just enough added spawns and black phantoms to make you wary of blindly charging into "familiar" situations.

- Lost Sinner is quite difficult as melee. Her Pyromancers actually try to circlestrafe around you, which can be annoying as fuck.

- Flexile Sentry seemed like it could be cool if the adds lived longer than two seconds.

- Double Pursuer is the most difficult fight in the game, I think. Could have been a kind of tedious "LET'S ADD MORE ENEMIES THAT'S THE BEST WAY TO INCREASE DIFFICULTY", but Pursuer actually has an interesting enough moveset that it works, and the fight forces you to understand it (the moveset) very well, as success often depends on precise timing and positioning against whatever they're doing.

- Looking Glass Knight hadn't summoned a player for me, too bad.

- Shrine of Amana. FFS, did they really think adding more enemies to the group before the 3rd bonfire was a good idea?

- I remember Shadenuat complaining about NG+ Freja, which I don't understand. Seemed very similar to NG+, more aggressive spiders with higher damage, but fundamentally the same thing.

I think I'm done with DaS2 for a while. Maybe I'll go replay DeS, only completed that game once, and I feel like I don't know it that well. Second Chance, here I come.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Feels bad man. On a brighter note I just used the imbalance of this game to rape multiple gank squads. Bino boost after the first rush to buff with numbness/gmb then proceed to 3 shot each of them with helix halberds.
Gank squads needs to be raped. Do it as much as possible until they would balance that shit.

praetor

Arcane
funny how they put a timer on white/gold phantoms (partly) to prevent ganking and achieved nothing on that part but made it so that everybody puts their sign down in front of the boss and almost nobody at the starting bonfire of a level. this game is a mess of ideas there were never thought through. thank you B-Team!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Someone explain poise to me; I clearly do not understand how it works. I hit someone with black dragon greatsword and stone ring and they recover immediately -- I get hit with mastodon sword and I am stunlocked for a second straight.
Mastodon has highest poise damage amongst GS by the way. I stunlocked ppl for 3-4 hits with it. Very good sword.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So is it possible to tank hits from NG+ PvE enemies with all the new changes via numbness and shit?

funny how they put a timer on white/gold phantoms (partly) to prevent ganking and achieved nothing on that part but made it so that everybody puts their sign down in front of the boss and almost nobody at the starting bonfire of a level. this game is a mess of ideas there were never thought through. thank you B-Team!
:lol:
they put a timer to prevent summons from clearing the hole level for you and than beat the boss while you just sit and watch.it has nothing to do with ganks

maybe people put their sings in front of the boss because beating covetus demon,Rotten or Mytha is fast,easy and gives plenty of sunmedals/tokens of fidelity/silky stones? i see plenty of signs near first bonfire in iron keep or first and third bonfire in castle drangleic if you want summons to help you clear area.

beating myta with couple firestorms is faster and less tedious way to get sunmedal than run with raterded host and keep him alive through hole level.i cant even count how many times host died on his way to smelter demon because he cant jump for shit or charges 3 Alone Knights head on :argh:

praetor

Arcane
clearing whole levels in DaS1 co-op was 10 times more fun than clearing half a level in DaS2 (timer runs out before you can help out with most areas) or a minute with a boss (in either). more than half the signs at IK are for gankers or fight clubs. co-op is not there to farm for materials/achievements, but to have fun doing co-op. i hope that one day you'll re-read your post and realize how extremely dumb it is, but considering you can't do even simple kindergarten-level math...

clearing whole levels in DaS1 co-op was 10 times more fun than clearing half a level in DaS2 (timer runs out before you can help out with most areas) or a minute with a boss (in either). more than half the signs at IK are for gankers or fight clubs. co-op is not there to farm for materials/achievements, but to have fun doing co-op. i hope that one day you'll re-read your post and realize how extremely dumb it is, but considering you can't do even simple kindergarten-level math...
:salute:
:lol::lol::lol:
if you say so:hahano:
please enlighten me how can i get sun sword or sunlight spear without co-oping as a sunbro:M or find me reliable source for silky stones/tokens of fidelity.

clearing levels in co-op in DS1 was more fun because some of those levels(Undead Burg, Anor Londo, Painted World,Sens Fortress) were simply better than those in DS2 and unlike multiplayer in DS2 sunbros were the only worthy/working covennat(when they worked after 20 minutes of "Summoning failed. The sign has disappeared") in Ds1 if you did not want to dickwraith.

you must be really shitty player if you cant beat Dragonriders or any other boss than Artificial Difficulty the Dragon under 6minutes(small sign)/20 minutes(big sign) timer.
would not summon/10:smug:

praetor

Arcane
that's a failure of Team B's complete lack of understanding, putting farming in the co-op. it just reinforces my point that Team B are clueless idiots

and who the fuck mentioned having trouble clearing bosses in under X minutes? i didn't even know the timer could run out during bosses because they're so quick and easy to dispatch. oh, i forgot you cannot read and need to build strawmen every time you need to prove a "point". retards gonna retard, i guess

99 int + magic staff of wisdom + witch domino mask + unleash magic and crystal soul spear is still doing less damage than GRS+Abyss seal pre-nerf. That's with a 1000 hp penalty. LOL @ all the scrubs complaining about the GRS nerf.

Ok here's one more broken powerstance combo I witnessed recently - any rapier with mundane broken straight sword with stone ring. Currently using BSS/Poison Scorpon Stinger - R1/L1/R1/L1 while powerstancing takes very little stamina and infinite stunlock. I just one combo ko'd a full poise havel - he couldn't roll away and I still had stamina left.

You could do this with any straight sword/katana - the stamina loss from BSS still works with the powerstance hits. But for some reason I couldn't get the stunlock to work with drakekeeper's sword which has more poise damage than the rapier.

Poise isn't borken guise we just don't understand it.

:popamole:

Edit: seems to work without stone ring but it's more likely that high poise players will roll away from the first BSS R1.

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane

it would have been if they a) disabled parrying the fuckers, which already makes it quite trivial and b) if you get hit by the BLUE-STEEL CURSED-BLADE THRUST OF FATE (ATATATATATATTATATA) the other pursuer disappears, which makes it...yeah.
But thn you don't get the second pursuer's drop

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
- Double Pursuer is the most difficult fight in the game, I think. Could have been a kind of tedious "LET'S ADD MORE ENEMIES THAT'S THE BEST WAY TO INCREASE DIFFICULTY", but Pursuer actually has an interesting enough moveset that it works, and the fight forces you to understand it (the moveset) very well, as success often depends on precise timing and positioning against whatever they're doing.

it would have been if they a) disabled parrying the fuckers, which already makes it quite trivial and b) if you get hit by the BLUE-STEEL CURSED-BLADE THRUST OF FATE (ATATATATATATTATATA) the other pursuer disappears, which makes it...yeah.

Even if you do parry them, it's still harder than any other bossfight. If you couldn't parry them, it would be really stupid, just running around and waiting for the AI to decide on one of the few patterns that actually lets you do stuff safely. I suppose it's easier if you have an upgraded greatshield and a fast weapon? With a great hammer, I could only do damage after parrying at least one.

I thought the despawning during a curse stab was a bug?

clearing whole levels in DaS1 co-op was 10 times more fun than clearing half a level in DaS2 (timer runs out before you can help out with most areas)

The bolded part is simply false. Most areas can be gone through from a bonfire to a boss with ease in the 20 minute phantom time limit. The only real exceptions are Earthen Peak, No Man's Wharf, the ship entrance of Lost Bastille to the Lost Sinner, the beginning of the Gutter to the Rotten, and the bonfire at the bridge to Iron Keep. Everything else is easy to do within the limits. In fact, were the kill quota not in place, a lot of those areas would be extremely simple to clear within 20 minutes while playing thoroughly.

And on a more subjective note, I can't find co-op in DkS1 to be better at all; I find it significantly less fun. Connection issues aside, the areas simply aren't that well designed for repeat trips. Playing through a lot of the areas is simply boring on replay because much of the design is rooted in cheap shots, narrow corridors/ledges, or one-time surprises. Dark Souls 2 is a lot better in this respect, with more of a focus on well designed encounters. The Drangleic Castle -> Amana -> Crypt line of areas is particularly fun in co-op, especially the Crypt. Love that place in NG+.

that's a failure of Team B's complete lack of understanding, putting farming in the co-op.

Farming was already there in DkS1 as co-op was easily the most efficient method of acquiring souls at almost every stage of the game. Leaving a summon sign in the Parish, after killing the boss, is the most effective method of soul acquisition in the early game; granting enough Souls to upgrade a bunch of weapons/armor, buy the Crest of Artorias (for even easier farming), and/or have a bunch of spells/miracles/pyromancies from early vendors.

This situation was mostly due to the lopsided soul rewards in DkS1, where bosses gave enormous amounts of souls relative to clearing entire maps of regular foes. With no access to consistent boss rematches in one's own world (Ascetics and the intensity system were a great addition), co-op was the only recourse.

However, I don't mind farming being attached to an activity that is both fun, and helpful to the community at large. That's good design. I'd much rather people be encouraged to play nice with others to grab their Souls/Tokens/Medals/Stones as opposed to grinding Sunlight Maggots or dropping Forest Hunter NPCs off a cliff.

Kanedias

Savant
Apparently Throne Watcher can shoot magic - not only does he have that WoG-type attack, but he can actually shoot a magic bolt.

Boss movesets are so diverse, yet some attacks are so rare... sigh.

That fight could be so much better if they actually used all the moves they have, but no, they just go close to you and do the boss equivalent of R1 spam.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom