Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Murk

Arcane
I think part of it has to do with the trigger for the attack being unlikely due to the arena. They usually close in on you, and they can close gaps pretty fast when they want, so they are usually not "far enough" to do that. For example: Vendrick strats involve you rimming his ass all day so no one ever sees his projectile attack.

Kanedias

Savant
Many times Watcher is at range and he simply rushes you or walks towards you. I usually run away to heal against them and I never saw this attack once.

Murk

Arcane
RNG gonna be R, bra. Gotta choose to chase or shoot and my guess is charge outweighs shoot. Probably has to do with how watcher and defender "tag-out" as well -- they'll swap who attacks and who hangs back.

I've seen it once but didn't realize it was rare until reading about rare boss moves (and seeing others).

The Pursuer does some weird stuff if he kills you, like letting off a ton of dark energy. Not sure if it's move dependent or area dependent, but only seen that once too.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
RNG gonna be R, bra. Gotta choose to chase or shoot and my guess is charge outweighs shoot. Probably has to do with how watcher and defender "tag-out" as well -- they'll swap who attacks and who hangs back.

I've seen it once but didn't realize it was rare until reading about rare boss moves (and seeing others).

The Pursuer does some weird stuff if he kills you, like letting off a ton of dark energy. Not sure if it's move dependent or area dependent, but only seen that once too.
I have no idea what triggers that dark energy attack but I fought him like half a dozen times and one fight he just said "you know what fuck you I'm spamming this every other attack". Also it's absurdly hard to dodge. Like I got hit each time he used it and he used it dozens of times. Used about 40 life gems healing that one attack then died when he was near death.

There was a CGI trailer for Miyazaki's new game, Bloodborne (previously known as Project Beast) at Sony's E3 conference just now. Looked pretty sweet but it was just a cgi trailer. And it's exclusive, I really don't want to buy a fucking PS4.

Murk

Arcane
jack the ripper souls eh?

the setting in that completely pre-rendered trailer _looks cool_

Kanedias

Savant
Lore:

Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.

I guess this endemic illness is going to be this game's Undead Curse.

I was surprised none of the leaked stuff came from this video. I guess it was from some sort of gameplay trailer that is going to be released soon.

I am loving the setting more than the Dark Souls / Demon's Souls ones.

the setting in that completely pre-rendered trailer _looks cool_

The in-game atmosphere/setting seems to be the same as in the trailer, and I'm very glad that's the case (unlike what happened with Dark Souls 2's cinematic trailer and the actual game)

wjWGezH.png

This is almost exactly like the second part of the trailer.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There are enough City settings in AAA already. Excuse me if I don't get hyped for killing hollow soldiers and dogs on the streets and going into sewers to kill giant rats again. Even if I'm playing VanHellsing with mechanical AAA-approved blade in one hand and crossbow/gun in the other.

Why am I even ranting, I never owned a console in my whole life... except NES.

Kanedias

Savant
I doubt the entire game will take place in the city itself. The leaks showed different environments.

The ruins in the screenshot above look like they're in a different area, same with everything from this video

praetor

Arcane
love the atmosphere/looks of the new game (also better than Souls), absolutely hate that it's a PS4 exclusive. hopefully it comes out at the end of 2015 so that the price of that PoS console goes down even more (+ christmas sales)

Kanedias

Savant
love the atmosphere/looks of the new game (also better than Souls), absolutely hate that it's a PS4 exclusive. hopefully it comes out at the end of 2015 so that the price of that PoS console goes down even more (+ christmas sales)

The japanese website mentions Spring 2015.

Murk

Arcane
So, not to drag the convo back but i have gone full asshat. havels leggings, guantlets, ironclad body, gyrm great helm. it's... it's so good. I have no regrets =(

I encourage you all to go full asshat as combat now takes many hits instead of 2 followed by 3 gestures of you being decapitated and/or this guyyyyy

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
The japanese website mentions Spring 2015.

barely a year after DaS2? damn...

edit:

So the skeleton lancer guys are just rehashed versions of the spear Paladin Leeroy knockoffs you fight in the Giants level, with the exact same moveset, and the ticks are just retextured versions of the ticks already in the game. This is exactly what I expected: no real new content.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So the skeleton lancer guys are just rehashed versions of the spear Paladin Leeroy knockoffs you fight in the Giants level, with the exact same moveset, and the ticks are just retextured versions of the ticks already in the game. This is exactly what I expected: no real new content.
What surprised me was how guy barely dodged lance hits but was never hit. I mean "barely" with a concept of red phantoms hitboxes in mind and all that. Boy was I stabbed and stabbed people myself with lance at all sorts of weird angles. Somewhat true for PvE too.

So, not to drag the convo back but i have gone full asshat. havels leggings, guantlets, ironclad body, gyrm great helm. it's... it's so good. I have no regrets =(

I encourage you all to go full asshat as combat now takes many hits instead of 2 followed by 3 gestures of you being decapitated and/or this guyyyyy

I like to swap ironclad for jester's when rolling/stamina regen is more important. Don't forget to numb it up bro!

:thumbsup:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I like to swap ironclad for jester's when rolling/stamina regen is more important. Don't forget to numb it up bro!

:thumbsup:

Creepy Clown

StephenKingClown041612.jpg

vs

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-2014-Michelangelo.jpg

Which is better and why.

Murderclown Set FTW.

BTW... EVERYONE needs to try Stone Ring + Broken Straight Sword/Black Scorpion Stinger powerstance and stunlock people to death with R1/L1/R1/L1 and barely any stamina use. It's just the most amazing display of how broken the poise/stunlock system is. This is MLG right here #SWAG#YOLO

DragoFireheart

Murderclown Set FTW.

BTW... EVERYONE needs to try Stone Ring + Broken Straight Sword/Black Scorpion Stinger powerstance and stunlock people to death with R1/L1/R1/L1 and barely any stamina use. It's just the most amazing display of how broken the poise/stunlock system is. This is MLG right here #SWAG#YOLO

I thought poise and Stone Ring were broken?

Do they impact stunlocks somehow?

Murderclown Set FTW.

Since (from what testing other people did) poise fills up like a status effect (e.g. poison), it's easier to stun people with the BSS R1. It usually takes a few straight sword hits before they stop being able to roll away from every single hit. Stunlocks are more dependent on movesets hence R1/L1 seems to stunlock because you are always moving forward. But poise STILL seems broken because a single hit from a greatsword seems to always stun me when other weapons with the same poise damage have no effect. Rapier has 10 poise damage and BSS 20 and yet it has infinite stunlock. I can't stunlock people for shit with two helix halberds (35 poise damage each). This shit just doesn't ever work the way you expect it. For example ALL greatswords with the "Bastard Sword" moveset have that 4 hit stunlock combo (Run R1 > R1 > R2 > R2) and it doesn't matter if you have stone ring or the target has maximum poise.

So the BSS/Rapier combo makes zero sense because I wasn't able to replace the rapier with other straight swords/katanas and still stunlock combo people for 10+ hits.

:hmmm:

DragoFireheart

Murderclown Set FTW.

Since (from what testing other people did) poise fills up like a status effect (e.g. poison), it's easier to stun people with the BSS R1. It usually takes a few straight sword hits before they stop being able to roll away from every single hit. Stunlocks are more dependent on movesets hence R1/L1 seems to stunlock because you are always moving forward. But poise STILL seems broken because a single hit from a greatsword seems to always stun me when other weapons with the same poise damage have no effect. Rapier has 10 poise damage and BSS 20 and yet it has infinite stunlock. I can't stunlock people for shit with two helix halberds (35 poise damage each). This shit just doesn't ever work the way you expect it. For example ALL greatswords with the "Bastard Sword" moveset have that 4 hit stunlock combo (Run R1 > R1 > R2 > R2) and it doesn't matter if you have stone ring or the target has maximum poise.

So the BSS/Rapier combo makes zero sense because I wasn't able to replace the rapier with other straight swords/katanas and still stunlock combo people for 10+ hits.

:hmmm:

Of course it makes sense: B-Team can't program.

The last calibration addressed "motion" of Syan's halberd. Now you can only stunlock for 2 hits instead of 3-4. I think movesets and hidden shit allows stunlocks while poise only sometimes lets you not get interrupted/roll away. It's definitely shit design/coding when important weapon stats are either hidden or don't work (hello mundane santier/avelyn that still display the same damage as pre-nerf).

Malpercio

Arcane
funny how they put a timer on white/gold phantoms (partly) to prevent ganking and achieved nothing on that part but made it so that everybody puts their sign down in front of the boss and almost nobody at the starting bonfire of a level. this game is a mess of ideas there were never thought through. thank you B-Team!

No, they did so Sun Bros can get their medal if they help you clear a level, instead of getting summoned at the beginning of the level, reach the boss and lose all their progresses because the host gets oneshotted like a moron at the boss. How many time did it happened in DS1?

People are actually incentive to put their summon at the beginning of a level instead of just the boss, and the small soapstone makes so people are more interested in exploring AND co-op at the same time since they allow you to take your time.

The whole multiplayer aspect is simply an improvement over DS1, especially they removed the whole "you can't get invaded if you kill the boss" which made blue bros completely useless since most gankers/invaders were camping Oolacite with the boss down.

I bet they could teach the A-Team how to make a decent PC port with working online, though!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom