Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
hE5C56FB0

Murk

Arcane
that dgaf walk off is the best

like he smelled cookies in the corner and was all "ooh that smells nice"

Cadmus

Arcane
So uhm guys once again, how far is the D2 optimalization for PC? Is it finally playable with a mouse and on the hardware relative to how ugly the textures and stuff are?

Murk

Arcane
Runs great (and on my laptop, for that matter); mouse +KB is definitely viable but I still prefer gamepad. Click/double click (r1/r2) has some lag it appears where it doesn't always register.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I still don't get why people want to play the game designed for gamepad with KB+M.

The fucking gamepad costs like 15$, it's useful in many games. WTF bros?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I thought so too, but have recently been made aware that they're much more expensive in certain parts of thirdworldia. Well, technically you can buy a cheap DS3 knockoff for like $10, but it'll be close to useless. Reasonably functional pads start at like $20, and more like $30 in non-Kwan parts of the world.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I thought so too, but have recently been made aware that they're much more expensive in certain parts of thirdworldia. Well, technically you can buy a cheap DS3 knockoff for like $10, but it'll be close to useless. Reasonably functional pads start at like $20, and more like $30 in non-Kwan parts of the world.
Bro, I'm from thirdworldia. I own a Defender Game Racer X7 gamepad, it's price is now lower than 15$. It works fine.
i

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
What's your point of comparison when you say it "works fine"? I would've said that about the 360 controller's d-pad, before I tried anything else.

Cadmus

Arcane
I just fucking hate gamepads, never used them, not gonna start learning to use them for 1 game that has a kb+m scheme anyway. Therefore I demand it be made fully functional.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I still don't get why people want to play the game designed for gamepad with KB+M.

The fucking gamepad costs like 15$, it's useful in many games. WTF bros?

I don't understant why people are trying to force others to use gamepad. Have you seen the atrocious interface and keyboard handling? It's done by developers that grew up on gamepads and don't know proper traditions.

In addition only fighting games like gamepads.

BTW what would happen to your toe after few years of using gamepad?

Murk

Arcane
huh

I got an xbox 360 controller and i hate the stupid dpad on it but otherwise it works great. my logitech one works like shit on this game but has the superior playstation layout and a non retarded dpad.

THE PRICE I PAY TO GUARD BREAK

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
*Buyer Beware*

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-17-the-dark-souls-2-dlc-doesnt-seem-that-tough

"The elephant in the room is Crown of the Sunken King's performance. From Software has until 22nd July to iron things out the kings - sorry, kinks - but the current E3 build plays dreadfully, delivering something I would guestimate is in the neighbourhood of 15-20fps on average"

"The environment is also less aesthetically inspired than the series has generally been, with its rubble-heavy caves resembling a more generic version of Doors of Pharros."

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2adw9h/dark_souls_ii_v106_patch_notes/

lot of interesting shit

Zweihander damage value increase.

K8ySn3e.gif

Havel's Armor defensive values adjusted

K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif

Healing in arena has been changed / restricted

K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif

"Grower's Ring of Protection now only reduces damage from behind, rather than preventing damage completely"

K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif

Powerstanced Helix Halberd nerfed

K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif
K8ySn3e.gif

also changes in SM brackets, possibly fixed Tanimura Rush, changes to poise and stunlock, back step parrys gone.

18th July:thumbsup:

Murk

Arcane
From the description they didn't fix the real tani rush just a specific combo of it.

They also buffed every fucking weapon ever, it seems.

Helix's special attack is fine, it should just be set to have the normal halberd powerstance. That way you can only use its special attack when 2handing it. Oh well.

team #balanced

Shadenuat

Arcane
Zwei should get moveset enhancement, not damage. Well, damage too, but what use it will be if you can still dodge that moveset with your eyes closed.

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls-2/Crown_of_the_Sunken_King

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/15/5900781/dark-souls-2s-crown-of-the-sunken-king-dlc-kicked-my-ass

pictures:

Dlc006.jpg

Dlc004.jpg

Dlc005.jpg

Dlc002.jpg

spoilers regarding bosses:

The first boss fight I stumbled into in the DLC was against a whole party of adversaries: a large armored knight swinging a huge weapon, a swift rogue-type wielding daggers, and, across the room, an archer shooting me with a massive, powerful bow. Each of these enemies on their own would have been intimidating given their speed and power. Fighting all three together, I found myself falling down dead over and over.

I won't ruin the final boss of "Crown of the Sunken King," but if you're hoping for a less human opponent, you won't be disappointed.

locations :

Shulva - Sanctum City is a Lovecraftian abyss of angular architecture and glyphs haunted by the corpses of the dead.

Dragon's Sanctum
- Its flooded lower regions are patrolled by immense saurian beasts, while the vast tower rising from the shallow lake is guarded by agile and powerful Black Knights, among the quickest common enemies in Dark Souls 2.

Dragon's Rest
- A small inner chamber with a single bonfire, portending a momentous battle.

New spells

• Focus Souls allows its caster to launch a single intense beam of destruction on a target, and Denial can potentially save a character on the edge of death

made

Arcane
Finished it. DS1 was the better game after all, though DS2 felt more polished/refined. Gonna try a NG+ run when all the DLC has been released.

dlcs trophies
The Narrow Way [Bronze]
Traverse the path most treacherous

The True Vagabond [Silver]
Inherit Pharros the Vagabond's equipment

The King Beneath [Silver]
Defeat the Tiny King

Sunken King's Crown [Gold]
Acquire the Crown of the Sunken King

so much for that shitty theories that Pharros is Rotten:hahano:

edit.

fake:x

well at least we get nice new knight armor with cape

yXf0bCP.jpg

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
So, not sure how many of you cats still play but I figured I'd write this up and post just in case. Normally I'd cross-post this to the ds2 subreddit but, quite frankly, fuck that place.

UndetectedButthurt and I are clearly very bored and have too much spare time; this time we did some testing with poise and below is the write up of the results. I'll spoiler it to conserve space.

So, basically, shit's fucked up. For many smaller/weaker weapons (daggers, straight swords, curved swords, spears, hammers, lances, and to some extent fist weapons) things work in a general rule of 1:3. For every 3 poise your enemy has, you need 1 poise-break to stagger them out.

How we tested it: one of us would be in a bow-drawn state and the other would attack until the state was cancelled. All references to r1 below are for 1handed attacks, 2handed attacks will be mentioned specifically.

How does poise work? It is definitely a value that fills up like a meter, and poise-break 'points stack'. Let's say you need 3 hits to break your poise? I can hit you 2 times, run around for a while, come back and hit you again and you would stagger. You can even stop your action then start again and that 'stack' would still remain. This is also why sometimes 2 consecutive hits will break poise and sometimes it takes 3 -- it's because there was a "roll over" point.

Maximum poise is 255 because From's team B is all about reliving the Y2K horror again, at 256 the poise rolls over into negatives. Currently it seems that Iron Flesh is required to achieve maximum poise as armor alone can't get there (even with ring of giants +2 and max natural poise).

So, an example. If you stack 150 poise -- a person with a mace would have to hit you 2 times with an r1 to break your poise. 2handing increases the poise-break, but I'm not sure if it's a doubling or a 1.5x. For instance, drake keeper sword needs 3 hits to break high poise (150+) but when 2handing it -- only 2 hits to break it.

Now, that's how things... usually work. With that 1:3 ratio... 1 poise break per every 3 poise. However, quite a few weapons just flat out don't fucking care.

All halberds that use the actual halberd moveset (including weird shit like drake-keeper warpick but EXCLUDING Syan's halberd) will break poise of any value with a single r1.

All greatswords, including the fucking keyblade, will always break poise no matter what. Greatswords are flat out broken; they feature retarded combos, stunlock, speed, AOE attacks, and now we can confirm that every single greatsword (bastard, masto, drangleic, etc. ) all break poise with a single r1.

All UGS and great hammers that actually have the proper moveset.

Curved great swords are busted; the Murakumo works as per the 1:3 rule... but the dragon curved sword is all kinds of stupid. In no small part, probably, because it uses the great-sword moveset. It follows the formula but 1handed r1 spam can also guarantee a 4-hit combo if you start close enough, or more as long as you have stamina and your weapon connects (it pushes the enemy back.)

Fist weapons will always break poise when doing a rolling attack, even a regular unarmed fist WITHOUT the vanquisher's seal.

I right now do not recall shit about axes, so... sorry about that. Axes are quite notorious for being weird tho -- in that their movesets are all the fuck over the place and they behave differently regardless of what their item description says as to whether it is an 'axe' or 'greataxe'.

Finally, stone ring seems to add 5 poise break.

tl;dr poise is absolutely busted and pointless, basically.

A couple of notes -- these numbers may change with the new patch and the DLC as I believe something about poise was mentioned. They would have to actually FIX poise tho, where-as I suspect the patch will just add poise to armor instead of actually making it work right.

From's designers are beyond sloppy and basically everything that is rule or system based is busted in this game.

tl;dr poise sucks, is pointless, and basically doesn't matter for most commonly used weapons. great swords always break poise no matter what and are the most overpowered weapon class in the game.

Considering this game gives you a full on spreadsheet of numbers for your status window, it is absolutely ridiculous how none of it actually means anything and, even worse, most of it is inconsistent. Understanding this game is like trying to discover how to design a hydroelectric powerplant by occasionally observing how a moose urinates on trees and that the leaves move under the stream's force. In this metaphor, the leaves are your face and the moose is From soft.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom