Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Oh my god I am getting my ass handed to me in the DLC. It's my fault, I haven't played DS2 for months and decided to jump right back in to my character who is on new game + and has level 200. I went for the Iron Crown DLC first because I spawned in near the Old Iron fort and I am getting my ass kicked by those grey ashen knights, they swallow so many hits its not funny. Currently stuck in the room where that bigass guy with his club and lots of respawning ashen soldiers is. I guess I am supposed to lure these guys with explosive barrels on their back in their so the AoE can take care of the bigger threats? Also, what's the deal with these ... things that spawn new ashen soliders, can they be disabled somehow?

For what it's worth, the second DLC is probably the most difficult overall. Haven't yet finished the third one, but thus far it seems the easiest, so you can try that one. I do believe they scale with your SM to some extent, so at SL200 you'll have a bit of a tough time regardless. That's roughly the same as my character, and I liked the level of challenge in them.

Stonewolf

Augur
That invisible tiger or whatever is a motherfucker. Probably missed some way to lift the mist and make him less invisible, hm.

Drakron

Arcane
That invisible tiger or whatever is a motherfucker. Probably missed some way to lift the mist and make him less invisible, hm.

You need the Eye of the Priestess that you get by going the other way, it lets you fight it or rather it lets you get killed if you go down that way and "fight" it.
I also warn you that later you will need to backtrack since the area on the final boss needs some ... err ... help.

Oh and I dont own the game, I just watched on Youtube ... pity there isnt a Tiara of the Slutty Queen DLC or I would have to revise my position on this series.

Drakron

Arcane
Its not much of a spoiler, Dark Souls is quite linear even if you get the "what part should I do first", the invisible enemy is just a "go the other way" not much different that "the door is locked, you need a key".

Then again its not like the basic mentality of players is MURDER THE FUCK OF EVERYTHING FOR LOOT, kinda makes people think they can go Rambo in anything on the game because its there ... how they forgot the Scaleless back in DA even if well ... you know.

The other is kinda of a warning about there is backtracking to the end boss since I dont think until now you were actually forced to go back as progression was very much forward, sure there was basecamps and blacksmiths but I dont think it was like in this DLC, not spoiling what but you do get some subtle nods to go back before you became aware that you need to do that.

Stonewolf

Augur
Dark Souls is quite linear even if you get the "what part should I do first", the invisible enemy is just a "go the other way" not much different that "the door is locked, you need a key"

He is totally doable when invisible, just quite annoying.

praetor

Arcane
motherfuckers stealth patched the elemental defences of the goddamned crystal lizards. now my pyromancies and lightning bow of want deal half the damage to the goddamned fuckers. goddamn B Team, i hate them so much

Murk

Arcane
motherfuckers stealth patched the elemental defences of the goddamned crystal lizards. now my pyromancies and lightning bow of want deal half the damage to the goddamned fuckers. goddamn B Team, i hate them so much

Again?

CSS didn't one-shot them as of the patch before the last (forcing me to resort to pancake slams or UGS 2h chops).

praetor

Arcane

Again?

CSS didn't one-shot them as of the patch before the last (forcing me to resort to pancake slams or UGS 2h chops).

[all this at max BF intensity] i went for a run a couple of weeks ago and i remember doing my usual shenanigans at the aerie for the 2-3 particularly cunty ones (the first one near the first drake, on the right, and the one near the dragon tooth), i.e. 4-5 lightning arrows with a lightning bow of want, or a forbidden sun + 1 lightning arrow from the same bow would kill them without problems, as would 2 flame swathes in quick succession. now, a flame swathe does like half the damage (it used to be near 800, now it's ~400), so casting 2 is pointless since by the time the 3rd goes off the lizard is gone (why the fuck did they need to change their "vanishing behaviour" from DaS1?! fuck you team B) and i don't have enough stamina to fart (at 32end), and forbidden sun is pathetic, it used to do around 1000 damage to them with the lava pools, now it's ~320 plus whatever crap will the lava do.

praetor

Arcane
i do, and use it to farm them on other chars (i intend to go to NG+ eventually with this one and fucking up half the DLC with NG9+ mooks one-shotting me [or near enough] while it takes 2-3 backstabs to kill them isn't quite my idea of "fun") plus i wanted some more regular titties of all kinds for other stuff, so the aerie is somewhat more efficient.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Straight swords, UGS, and Great Hammers are nerfed.

Chaos Blade is untouched.

From pls

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Jesus Christ I forgot how much I hated the Shrine of Amala. That place is just full of fuck. It's not that it's hard, it's simply incredibly annoying, especially on NG+ now. Only took that path because I noticed I have 30 dragon scales and kinda want to try out that dragon form. Oh well.

I have that Tower of Prayer route at like intensity 90... So sick of farming that spot that I've been farming gank instead... 1 slab, 3 twinks/boners, 2 bugs, 3 ascetics. You can then use those extra ascetics to quickly get 3 twinks, 1 slab, 1 petrified something per ascetic in the Dragon Shrine.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
team b should just buff chaos blade to be faster than other katanas just to make it clear that none of this was ever supposed to be fun

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Puzzling Stone Sword 2HR1 got nerfed into the ground. The tracking was godlike but now it's shit.

team b should just buff chaos blade to be faster than other katanas just to make it clear that none of this was ever supposed to be fun
I bet Vaati comes up with some lore reasons behind the power of Chaos Blade:troll:

Kill the big baddie in The Old Chaos and get a permanent blade Chaos Buff. LORE: Chaos X more Chaos = maximum chaos. Yo dawg, we hurd u liek chaos so... etc.

Also, two ivory swords - double the L4z0r. Two ivory ug swords - no laz0r.

Powerstance the new curved gs with any other UGS and win the game by pressing L2. Get maximum 'splosions with smelter cool/hot ranch in left.

OMG horsecock valley map!
FoTv0TS.jpg
If they would tone down the horse spawns and add a few more ruins with loot, it would actually be a decent level to explore.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Ivory King DLC is simply awesome. Just beat the first boss and I love how they managed to make me explore the level again in a completely non-annoying, even engaging way.

I liked the new type of ladder, too :)

I loved the invasion (you'll know which one) concerning which From practically guaranteed some of the player messages will be amusingly misunderstood.

Murk

Arcane
I bet Vaati comes up with some lore reasons behind the power of Chaos Blade:troll:

Kill the big baddie in The Old Chaos and get a permanent blade Chaos Buff. LORE: Chaos X more Chaos = maximum chaos. Yo dawg, we hurd u liek chaos so... etc.

Also, two ivory swords - double the L4z0r. Two ivory ug swords - no laz0r.

Powerstance the new curved gs with any other UGS and win the game by pressing L2. Get maximum 'splosions with smelter cool/hot ranch in left.

OMG horsecock valley map!
FoTv0TS.jpg
If they would tone down the horse spawns and add a few more ruins with loot, it would actually be a decent level to explore.

P much my biggest gripe about it. At first it looked super dope and I liked how you had to plan a route, and 'brave it' during the storm and there were surprises and shit in store for you but it quickly became a game of fucking horsey whackamole.

What's the pharros face even for? Is it healing water?

First they nerfed ma syan, and I said nothing. Now they nerfed my manikin dagger, my whipsword, and my straight swords...

... there is nothing left for me =(

I am going to the dark side; I'll see katana you all in hell chaos

Murk

Arcane
not in a straight 1v1 (unless he fails his AI and goes into a stupid loop)

edit: no clue how he is in ng+0, only fought him in ng+6

praetor

Arcane
i cannot express in words my hatred for the shitty hitboxes of Aava (particularly the grab attack). i'd like to shove the still attached testicles of whoever programmed him/her into a blender. other than that, it's a great boss in every other way.

Played through most of the Ivory King DLC, and I quite like it.

The level design is quite unique in that it is theoretically possible to skip exploring the majority of the map and make a beeline straight to the boss fights. In fact, there are zero enemies between the first bonfire and the first boss fog and none between the exit of the first boss arena and the entrance to the second. However, without key items or triggers found in exploration of the Frozen City, the boss fights can be extremely difficult, encouraging modst players to venture through the majority of the level.

On most player's first trek through the level, to find some way of seeing the invisible first boss, a frigid blizzard is active in the city, obscuring vision and causing many paths to be frozen over or otherwise inaccessible. Defeat of the first boss grants access to an NPC capable of ceasing the storms, opening up new areas and routes all over the city (as well as unfreezing a host of enemies), as the player is then charged with finding knightly allies, if needed (and I believe most players will require the assistance), to aid them in the final boss fight of the DLC proper.

However, with the way the level is designed, a skilled player could defeat the first boss “blind” and thus journey through the entire city in one go. Like I said, the level design is really unique and inventive.

Eleum Loyce is massive, probably the largest area in the entire series, and the search for the Loyce Knights can be quite prolonged. There's a lot of ground to cover, not a ton of bonfires, and plenty of enemies trying to impede your progress. Shortcuts and secrets abound and the level boasts one of the most hilarious methods of creating a path I've seen in the series.

Enemy design is good overall, with foes that capable of varied and interesting techniques to harm the player character. My favorite are probably the crystalline foes that transmute their hands into various weapons with which to strike opponents. To those that found baddies in previous DLCs to be gifted with a bit too much poise, Crown of the Ivory King enemies aren't blessed with such hyper armor. Most enemies are easy enough to stagger, as my DEX/INT character was inflicting hitstun with a couple rapier pokes on most of the mooks. Both types of golems can tank effectively through player attacks, but that's to be expected, especially with the stone golems (which are a fun play on the mechajnic showcased in Drangleic Castle; these gloems you specific try to avoid killing enemies in close proximity to, lest they be activated).

Both bosses on the main path are well made, and are far above the series average, but I found them far less challenging than bosses in the previous DLCs.

The first boss, Aava, I actually defeated on my initial try....a rarity, I'll admit, and I'm not entirely certain what to chalk it up to; maybe the speedrun of Ninja Gaiden Black the night prior primed my reflexes (despite how dreadful the time was. 3:34 in-game? Blech!) or perhaps my DEX/INT character really is that much better a build than poor STR/FTH bro. Regardless, the fight itself is well-designed and probably the best in the “quadrupedal mammal” genre of boss fight; it's not a bore like Sif, not a mess like Royal Rat Authority, and not the RNG-fest that getting a punishable attack pattern was with Sanctuary Guardian(s). And speaking of the last...well, we'll save that for later.

The DLC's final “main” boss is an interesting one in which the player drops into an arena and is immediately attacked by Charred Loyce Knights that spill out of three portals. The Charred Knights come in three flavors: a war hammer knight, a greatswordbro, and a pyromancer awfully fond of Fire Snake. Kill enough Charred Knights and the titular Ivory King will wade out to challenge the player in the fracas.

By default, the player is granted one un-charred Loyce Knight as an ally to help the player survive the zerg rush, however that one knight is largely ineffectual, at least given my skill level and build, as the Charred Knights are simply overwhelming; once the knight sacrificed himself to seal a portal, I could barely stay alive against 5+ enemies all gunning for my head.

Thus the need to trek through blizzard-less Eleum Loyce to find up to three more allied knights to aid in the struggle. Three knights ensures that all portals are closed before fighting the Ivory King and four knights (likely) grants you an ally in the main boss fight (who takes enormous damage from the King, though). It's an interesting setup, rewarding thorough players as well as dangling a challenge in front of more daring types. I know I might try to rush this DLC with no Eye of the Priestess and only one Knight on a Bonfire Intensity 1 character.

The boss himself is nothing particularly special. Compared to Fume Knight he is not nearly as technical nor gifted with the sheer number of techniques but he's no slouch. He has a leaping attack, ranged magic, three-slash combos that he can delay timing on, an AoE magic attack, fast thrusts, a grab, and a very tricky charging slash attack (particular post-buff). At around 60% health he buffs his sword and it gains a significant amount of range. All-in-all, he's no slouch, and is a solid boss fight, but those looking for a challenge fiercer than Raime or Sir Alonne may want to recruit less chevaliers to their crusade; Ivory King may be designed to be at his most challenging with friends.

Itemization in the DLC continues the trends of adding new and interesting weapons, armor, rings, and magicks. I've taken quite a liking to the Ice Rapier, that has good AR as well as a Soul Spear-esque projectile attached to the R2 (strong attack). I'm also certain everyone has probably seen hackers rocking the Bone Fist; it's nice to actually give it a spin myself. Soul Flash is essentially a Sorcery version of Force with a lower radius and a wee-bit of damage (a.k.a. an amazing addition for sorcery-users in PvP). Haven't tried much else yet, but there seem to be at least a few more interesting weapons and Splintering Lightning Spear.

Like both of the other DLCs, this one comes packed with a “challenge area” intended for cooperative play. The other ones were pretty lazy, merely caves stuffed with lots of generic enemies (well, technically petrification statue bugs were “new” and the Astrologist in Iron Passage were a unique enemy) and a low-effort boss (even though I somewhat enjoyed both the Gank Squad and Cool Ranch Smelly).

The Frozen Outskirts, Ivory King's challenge zone, are actually a unique design unlike the banal caves in Sunken/Iron King. The player nestles into a coffin and takes a sled ride to a wintery tundra, with intermittent blizzards obscuring almost all view. As the player stumbles around, looking for the goal area, they will be beset upon by a foe exclusive to this area, crystalline stags. The stags have a decent repertoire of moves with command of both melee attacks as well as lightning magic. They're an interesting enemy, and their tendency to attack during blizzard conditions adds to the tension of getting through the area.

The area boss is sure to piss off many of DkS2's vocal critics, being a pair of reskins of the DLC's initial boss, Aava. It's a very difficult fight at the end of a difficult area, which I've yet to defeat. This fight certainly explains why Aava himself was a bit easy; he was designed to be fought as a pair. The two fights I've had against Siegfried & Roy (my name for the two tigers) felt difficult, but not a complete mess like double Sanctuary Guardians in DkS1; difficulty is a bit closer to the double Pursuers in the Drangleic Castle throne room. Well...at least from what I can tell.

I'm currently agnostic on the overall quality of Frozen Outskirts. A lot of the elements aren't particular “fun” (long trek to a difficult boss, difficult terrain to navigate, vision impediments), but it does succeed in making an extremely challenging area that conveys a feeling of stress/tension that almost every critic/fan says is essential to the Souls experience. Maybe people need to gitgud and are madcuzbad or maybe I'm over-thinking shit design...I'll probably drift conclusively to one or the other as time passes.

Overall, the DLC is pretty excellent, with the content contained within once again outshining almost all of the on-disc content of DkS2, as well as the rest of the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom