Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Kanedias

Savant
Did you all see this? http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/post/100174538929/dark-souls-2-unused-dialog-from-japanese-text-files

There were some hidden dialogue files in the Japanese Network Text, and they are being translated now. The first one seems to belong to the Child Emerald Herald

Zb53uaP.png

Trying to connect some dots, it seems that you meet her at the start of the game, probably in Things Betwixt, and go with her to Majula. Somewhere along the way you find an object called Estintia's Feather which is supposed to grant you good fortune. You give this feather to her, and she promises never to forget. She also blesses you with a Maiden in Black-ish incantation.

The Emerald Herald giving you the Aged Feather was the main part of the very first trailer. It was probably meant to be a powerful moment, where through some time shenanigans you get to meet her again when she is older, and she gives the feather back to you.

It's really a shame this was cut, it would have been a powerful story moment, as well as something that helped the Emerald Herald's character greatly (which is rather annoying and bland in the actual game) and gave the Aged Feather plot significance.

There's still dialogue untranslated, but it's from other characters. Should still be interesting.

Sadly, it seems this game lost a lot of stuff through development...

So I've stopped playing this after beating DLC3... I noticed that they released a "hotfix" type of patch. How do you fix roll attacks with Ivory UGS but not roll punching (for the second time too)? B-Team man...
Also the whole one-time sin pardoning is stupid. All the red invaders with maximum sin are gonna freak out that blues are no longer invading them. They can't just include an in-game explanation about the two types of sin?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So guys, I'm in NG+ (just beat the Pursuer when meeting him for the 1st time, without taking a single hit ;)) Question: do any chests contain different items than in NG?

I don't think chests contain different items, but a lot of lootable bodies strewn about the world contain different loot, usually a much greater quantity of Titanite/Effigies/Souls, but occasionally a piece of equipment (most notably the Gower's Ring). NG+ new stuff is mostly found as dropped items from some of the new phantoms or as boss loot (many bosses grant +2 rings for defeating them on Bonfire Intensity greater than 1 and a few drop "new" boss souls).

Edit: Make certain to check out the throne room behind Chancellor Wellager in NG+...probably one of the more fun fights the second playthrough adds in.

Murk

Arcane
So guys, I'm in NG+ (just beat the Pursuer when meeting him for the 1st time, without taking a single hit ;)) Question: do any chests contain different items than in NG?

Some chest example off the top of my head: Moon Butterfly Shield in ng+2 instead of the shard in majula.

I want to say I recall some chests changing and dropping new/more/better stuff but I can't think of specific examples off the top of my head. The random 'item on ground' stuff definitely does change tho, so make sure to get those.

dr. one

Augur
I think the shield is the only case of an entirely new item being added to a chest.
Besides that I only remember petrified something instead of washing pole from a chest (mimic) in dragon shrine, petrified something being added to the chest containing 5 smooth & silky stones in the memory of Vammar and 5 human effigies instead of 1 in the chest in the cave leading to forest of fallen giants.

They seem to add more twinklies/bones too. Basilisk trap in Shaded Ruins, wooden chest in Dragon Shrine comes to mind. There's lots of random shit all over.

Last edited:

Canus

Savant
I hope it's a DLC that does something interesting with those fucking crowns.
I really expected there to be a "true ending" when you collected all of them.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the ivory king didn't have much of an ending. I was expecting the emerald herald to come into the view somehow. If not for a boss fight, at least a cutscene or something. She could be one of the dark sisters after all.

praetor

Arcane
it could've been soooo easy to make it "right" without expending many resources: a) make the effect independent of the crowns and/or NG+ cycle [so that it isn't pointless, although with both it might be too powerful... but RoLP exist so...], b) make an "chosen bro walks out of throne of want room and flips the EH since he found a cure for the curse" cutscene after nashy as an option if you have the effect active. bam, i just made it 1000000 better than what they did, i spent maybe 2mins thinking about it, and implementing it wouldn't have taken more than a day of coding, animating, voice-acting and testing

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The ending of the DLC leaves room for story continuation, Alsanna in her final words says after all :
"Kind visitor. I am not the only being born of Dark. You will face hardships like no other. Take this. My sisters are as a thick Dark, their lust for souls insatiable... May you find the will to resist their desires..." - hinting that there might be more sisters yet ?

But with Bloodborne coming out in some months, it seems unlikely that another full blown DS2 DLC would come out.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The ending of the DLC leaves room for story continuation, Alsanna in her final words says after all :
"Kind visitor. I am not the only being born of Dark. You will face hardships like no other. Take this. My sisters are as a thick Dark, their lust for souls insatiable... May you find the will to resist their desires..." - hinting that there might be more sisters yet ?

But with Bloodborne coming out in some months, it seems unlikely that another full blown DS2 DLC would come out.
Why? Isn't bloodborne teamA?

Might be they're worried about competing with themselves, but since DS2 is multiplatform and bb is not, that doesn't seem super relevant.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Why? Isn't bloodborne teamA?

Might be they're worried about competing with themselves, but since DS2 is multiplatform and bb is not, that doesn't seem super relevant.

Because they'd be competing against themselves. It's not so much a PS4 vs multiplat issue, as it is the consumer having to choose between buying either BB or DLC4. I don't expect to see anymore DLC coming out for Dark Souls 2 or if it is, it's probably going to be lackluster since they would be racing the clock to get the DLC out before BB.

praetor

Arcane
well, DaS2 is on 3 platforms, and BB is coming out on 1 platform that isn't one of those 3 so i see no reason why they wouldn't continue releasing DLCs. plus, another DLC would take what 4-5 hours to fully explore while BB being a completely new game with new mechanics is at least a 30-50h affair.

and ghostdog
she could very well be referring to the other 3 sisters we already encountered since you can do the DLCs in any order. excluding the possibility of more would be stupid, of course, since we have 0 clues as to their numbers, and there are rumours about a dozen more DLCs or so... only rumours that originated on 4chan of all places afaik, but they seem to be getting some confirmation with this DLC4 being likely released at/around halloween and still having a dozen or so weapon reskins for the Majula chest...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
well, DaS2 is on 3 platforms, and BB is coming out on 1 platform that isn't one of those 3 so i see no reason why they wouldn't continue releasing DLCs. plus, another DLC would take what 4-5 hours to fully explore while BB being a completely new game with new mechanics is at least a 30-50h affair.

and ghostdog
she could very well be referring to the other 3 sisters we already encountered since you can do the DLCs in any order. excluding the possibility of more would be stupid, of course, since we have 0 clues as to their numbers, and there are rumours about a dozen more DLCs or so... only rumours that originated on 4chan of all places afaik, but they seem to be getting some confirmation with this DLC4 being likely released at/around halloween and still having a dozen or so weapon reskins for the Majula chest...

Oh sure, I agree, it's just that she has already mentioned you killing her sisters in her early dialog and since this one was her final dialog piece... well that *may* give some hint that there are more sisters in the waiting.

On the DLC front, small DLCs could very well be coming, but the big DLCs were more like expansions, and I don't think that marketing-wise they'll want to release more of them along with Bloodborne. I sure hope they do. Maybe they could add something big with a "final" version along the lines of "Prepare to Die" for DS.

Kanedias

Savant
Got my eight rank 3 character in the Brotherhood, and this one is a Fume UGS build. I'm so happy with the rank up. Spanking some shitters with the FUGS feels great
7GoqaoP.jpg

DramaticPopcorn

Okay, am I just bad or does Velstadt suffer from bugged hitbox issue as well? I swear, his thrusting attack seemed hitting me consistently no matter how far I'd backstep. :negative:

In other news:
tumblr_n3fj8ykfkE1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg

DramaticPopcorn

R8Kx7ZA.jpg

Dark Souls :negative:
EDIT: This fucking fight. No matter how gud (you think) you are there is always this element of randomness when this fucker moves into a corner and you cant dodge his swings or cant see shit

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: In NG+ I just decided to dual wield my awesome red rust scimitars and also remembered I hadn't lit the towers apart bonfire. So I run merrily to Persuer's birdie nest, but I forgot about the two undead soldiers behind the door. Stumbling like a fool a third soldier came from behind (that fucker that crosses the little bridge) and rolling blindly I fell down to my death. DARK SOULS.

:excellent:

Why do you carry so many souls? (A genuine question; I've seen people do that and I'm not sure why. Hexing?)
Well he's obviously farming the giant lord. Probably at a very high SL. Could be he's also using king's sword ~max damage at about 800.000 souls I think (though didn't that got nerfed to oblivion?). Hexing doesn't require that many souls to have around. Anyway with the repairing rings of protection it doesn't really matter.

DramaticPopcorn

Why do you carry so many souls? (A genuine question; I've seen people do that and I'm not sure why. Hexing?)
As ghostdog pointed out, I'm farming that boss. I simply want to buy enough upgrade materials and consumables for a PvP marathon after I finish my mundane build.
At Bonfire Intensity 8 and above (NG+7) you get around 500k souls per run, that's including souls from all filler mobs and a boss soul. With Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and other +souls gain gear that figure goes up to 600k IIRC.

ALSO THAT FIGHT TOOK ME 10 TRIES even though I died twice in previous 10 runs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom