Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Finally got around to completing Crown of the Sunken King. Did Gank Squad solo (which wasn't as hard as people let on). The Queen was the hardest boss. I gave up soloing that and did it co-op. She is pretty easy with 2 humans co-op, though. I've done co-op on the fight a bunch of times and we rarely lose.

Slumbering Dragon isn't hard, just long and tedious. Chasing him everywhere sucks when you are melee. I eventually got sick of my weapons breaking and upgraded another Mastadon Halberd, so now I have 2 +10's, which is nice. With the +2 weapon degredation reduction ring and physical damage increase rings, two halberds can almost get you through the whole fight.

Fume Knight sucks. And there never seems to be any summons down. Where is everyone?

So far, I've found the best way to manage him is to get naked (or near naked) and go in with the upgraded Havel shield + Mastadon Halberd. This makes dodging easier and stamina regen faster. Plus, the Havel shield can block most of his attacks without sucking as much stamina as other shields. It'd probably be best to do it without the Havel Shield and just the Halberd in armor, but I'm just not that good of a dodger. I need to throw up the Havel shield periodically as insurance against making mistakes.

I can easily get him to the second phase of the fight this way, but the second phase kills me as I just don't have enough practice with it yet. I've sold most of my light armor options, which I regret, as I don't have much that's light and has good fire resistance.

I've tried doing it with the ranged NPC, which works pretty well too. I put on the glowing eye ring to try to aggro him and let the ranged guy shoot him from afar, while I do the usual naked dodging and melee with my havel and halberd.

This seems easiest, but again, the second phase kills me.

Plus, I'm reluctant to do it too many times as I don't have many human effigies left.

I guess I should lay down a summon and try to practice while helping others.

Dude, gyrm greatshield 100% fire resist 100% physical and same stability as havel's. Otherwise, get 100+ AGL and dodge into swings. 2h rapier and poke.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Or do a jump attack whenever he finishes his combo.

In preparation for the 2nd phase use your fire quartz +3 and dark quartz +3 rings; this changes a lot.
I can't stress how useful the ring of steel protection is now. If you're in NG+0 then you can only get up to the +1 version from the lucatiel quest line, all you have to do is talk to her every time you see her.
I agree; for the last 90 hours this char has always used the Chloranthy ring and the Steel Protection +1 ring, only changing the two other slots. Thanks anyway ;)

praetor

Arcane
Fume Knight sucks. And there never seems to be any summons down. Where is everyone?

So far, I've found the best way to manage him is to get naked (or near naked) and go in with the upgraded Havel shield + Mastadon Halberd. This makes dodging easier and stamina regen faster. Plus, the Havel shield can block most of his attacks without sucking as much stamina as other shields. It'd probably be best to do it without the Havel Shield and just the Halberd in armor, but I'm just not that good of a dodger. I need to throw up the Havel shield periodically as insurance against making mistakes.

I can easily get him to the second phase of the fight this way, but the second phase kills me as I just don't have enough practice with it yet. I've sold most of my light armor options, which I regret, as I don't have much that's light and has good fire resistance.

I've tried doing it with the ranged NPC, which works pretty well too. I put on the glowing eye ring to try to aggro him and let the ranged guy shoot him from afar, while I do the usual naked dodging and melee with my havel and halberd.

This seems easiest, but again, the second phase kills me.

Plus, I'm reluctant to do it too many times as I don't have many human effigies left.

I guess I should lay down a summon and try to practice while helping others.

as Butthurt said, if you want a greatshield go Gyrm for that fight. dodging the first phase is easy, just keep close to his left (greatsword) side, most attacks will completely miss and the ones that don't are quite telegraphed and easy to dodge. you should be able to go through 1st phase without taking a hit. the masto halberd is ok, but try getting a faster weapon with better counter (like the mentioned rapier class or a katana). never summon that useless mage carhillion. he sucks and is the worst summon in the entire game. you're better off with steelheart ellie since she has much more HP and hits often so she can break his poise from time to time. for the 2nd phase learn the timings to dodge his attacks (be careful about the fast swings since he can do various combos, usually it's the same 2- or 4-hit but he can be a motherfucker), particularly the slow horizontal sweep (it was the bane of my existence for the longest time :) try sticking very close and dodging into it, or staying very close and circling to the right behind him), and those fire orbs (aim for gaps). imho, that fight is done best solo (so don't waste effigies, or at least use rings of life protection every once in a while), no shield, third dragon/ring of blades/cloranthy +1/2, light equip (<30/40%) and even a green blossom at the beginning of the fight will help

Elwro

Arcane
I couldn't even summon Carhillion. Out of curiosity, what do you need to do to get his sign?

Also, when FK fires his orbs, I recommend rolling a little bit towards him and to the right.

Murk

Arcane
He was just there for me, my guess is you have to get him to go to Majula but I base that on nothing but assumption.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Yeah, I really can't do this fight. I can two hand the halberd and dodge for the first half, but I can't dodge the second half (I'm using KB + M, which might factor into my dodging ability....or maybe I just suck).

I've come closest two handing the Halberd with lightening resin, as that way I can sometimes get his health down to 1/3 before he changes to the fire phase. But I can't dodge the fire phase. One tiny little screw up and I'm fucked.

Gyrm shield doesn't seem much different than Havel. It's supposed to block fire 100%, but fire still gets through. Which wears me down if I use a great shield.

The NPCs very much are useless. They are great meatshields, but using them increases his defenses so much that you can't do damage quickly enough before they die.

I'll try again in a few days, I guess....but I literally spent 2 hours straight trying to do this fight. I really love this game, but I suck so bad at dodging for long fights. I can usually turtle through, but the second half of the fight is too hard to do that.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
He was just there for me, my guess is you have to get him to go to Majula but I base that on nothing but assumption.
HE CAN GO TO MAJULA?

OK, I decided to read little about the game on the 'net and I thought it was a good decision... but come on, how did I miss this? ;D

Juan_Carlo: I feel you :salute:, I've been there. Now I can only say that during the fire+dark (remember that it's not only fire!) phase you need to be sure to --- when he starts attacking --- either be very close to him or very far from him. For example if you hug him you can roll through his 'slow horizontal sweep' easily.

I pimp'd the Drakeblood Armor to have good fire res and still be nimble. I fought the Knight in the full set.

Now, I've been (as a summon) in a trio with a successful attempt with Steelheart Ellie. He's better than one'd think, and he can stagger the Knight if his 'meagre' hits land.

praetor

Arcane
Yeah, I really can't do this fight. I can two hand the halberd and dodge for the first half, but I can't dodge the second half (I'm using KB + M, which might factor into my dodging ability....or maybe I just suck).

I've come closest two handing the Halberd with lightening resin, as that way I can sometimes get his health down to 1/3 before he changes to the fire phase. But I can't dodge the fire phase. One tiny little screw up and I'm fucked.

Gyrm shield doesn't seem much different than Havel. It's supposed to block fire 100%, but fire still gets through. Which wears me down if I use a great shield.

The NPCs very much are useless. They are great meatshields, but using them increases his defenses so much that you can't do damage quickly enough before they die.

I'll try again in a few days, I guess....but I literally spent 2 hours straight trying to do this fight. I really love this game, but I suck so bad at dodging for long fights. I can usually turtle through, but the second half of the fight is too hard to do that.

try another weapon. seriously ;)

first time i fought him with my main char, i destroyed him on my 3rd or 4th try with a katana (CB), on my 2nd sorc char i also destroyed him 2nd or 3rd try with a watcher gs and some magicks (and co-oped there a shitton with moonlight gs and pilgrim spontoon), then on my 3rd Str/fth one, who was 100levels above the other 2 and in NG+ i tred with the mastodon halberd for 2 days amounting for over well over 30 deaths solo (i know i've been to majula at least 6-7 times to repair my 5 rings of LP :)). i'm guessing you're mostly Str so try something like the estoc or craftsman's hammer or bandit axe or another small weapon with relatively fast swings, decent counter (his "counterable" state lasts for quite a while after each attack) and relatively low stamina consumption. forget about blocking, free those 15 (or more) units of weight for even more stamina regen

Visperas

Augur
The frigid outskirts wasn't that bad. It's pretty easy to outrun the horses if you have a phantom. I couldn't try it without phantoms 'cause the cats fell quickly after all the training with Aava. Ivory king was nice but a bit of a pain to get to every time. Once you discover how to dodge his attacks it's not that hard either. Now, how many lloyce souls do I need to trigger whatever is next? I have 4 right now and she asking for deliverance, do I have to drop the or something?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found out... WTF...

Murk

Arcane
Elwro Talk to him in no man's wharf, if you have enough natural intelligence (item boosts don't count) he will go to Majula and stay there.

DramaticPopcorn

Uh, does Holy Water Urn not work anymore? Tried it with Sentinels boss fight and it did no damage... :(

His powah attacks are phys/fire/dark. Gyrm counters the first two? You could try dark rebel's greatshield? I have no idea if he does more dark than fire/phys.

Murk

Arcane
Uh, does Holy Water Urn not work anymore? Tried it with Sentinels boss fight and it did no damage... :(
Well, Sentinels arent undead or hollow, so why would it damage them?

They used to work on EVERYTHING but now only work on hollowed enemies specifically. They used to be my favorite pvp consumable but they no longer apply to phantoms/human form.

Enemies like sentinels, royal soldiers, ironclads, etc. do not take damage from it.

DramaticPopcorn

Yeah it used to work, hence why I tried it.

Well, Sentinels arent undead or hollow, so why would it damage them?
It's not like it's presented that entire populace is undead and in the description of the item it explicitly says that it deals damage to both Undead and Hollows.

Stonewolf

Augur
It's not like it's presented that entire populace is undead and in the description of the item it explicitly says that it deals damage to both Undead and Hollows.

Soul of the Ruin Sentinel, a creation of the Jailer.
The Ruin Sentinel has no corporeal form. It is only an empty soul that haunts the armor.

They're golem-esque creatures, never been alive in the human sense in the first place and cant go hollow.

I actually didnt realize that Holy water urns damaged everything since it always made sense to me that it would work only on undeads because its like you know, water. It sucks though if they dont work now on hollow players.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Same on my first char. I made a cleric and had no idea how stupidly easy lightning spear + mace made everything. I intentionally started gimping myself by not raising HP and not using armor, a shield, or any buffs in PVE.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Moved it here since I posted it in the wrong thread.

So I'm thinking of respeccing into a faith warrior. What are the best faith/lightning weapons ? I DON'T want fucking greatswords or straight/long swords anymore. From a quick glance it seems that Dragonslayer Spear and Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe seem p.good. I'm also sweet looking at Black Knight Halberd and Mastodon Halberd, but aren't those better without infusion ? I'd prefer to have lightning on my weapon to be a lightning warrior with sunlight blade and shit.

So I'm thinking of respeccing into a faith warrior. What are the best faith/lightning weapons ? I DON'T want fucking greatswords or straight/long swords anymore. From a quick glance it seems that Dragonslayer Spear and Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe seem p.good. I'm also sweet looking at Black Knight Halberd and Mastodon Halberd, but aren't those better without infusion ? I'd prefer to have lightning on my weapon to be a lightning warrior with sunlight blade and shit.

I'm assuming you're talking about DS 2?

BKH is beastly no matter what, but it's sweet spot is a pain in the ass. the black knight weapons infuse differently than other pre-split weapons.

Mastodon has amazing STR scaling so it's best to keep it uninfused if you have high STR, but even then in pure AR it will probably be higher when infused with lightning --- but damage output will suffer despite the boost in AR.

Are you looking for fast weapons or big heavy weapons? Ornstein's spear is beastly damage + counter and has ridiculous range. You could also try one of the Heide weapons (lance, greatlance, or spear since you don't want straight swords). The new curved sword (Elium Loyce) seems to have pretty good infusion stats, 250 base ar + E/S/B scaling. Red Rust Scim is also p good for infusion since it's only C/E str/dex scaling.

Personally I'm a phys only type of guy as at the 40mil sm level elemental damage is pointless. For my lowbies tho I found high success with elemental poke weapons (rapier, spear) and especially when paired with high counter (leo ring <3)

Thanks. I don't much care about weapon type, I'll try anything, as long as it's not great/straight/long sword.

Murk

Arcane
Curved swords spam very well (especially when 2h). My current favorite is the warped sword for its higher counter/poise break values, but red rust should work just as well (I used it for a while as well). They attack fast because after the first r1 all other r1s are boosted, but they have poor tracking. So, if they roll into you it won't follow as well as straight sword spam.

Check it out, plus they have good run attacks that have one of those "hit before you think it does" type of effects that takes advantage of lag and has a shorter window of reaction dodging.

Elwro

Arcane
That Lightning Heide Knight sword is viable even close to endgame when +10'd. Fast and furious!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom