Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Souls 2 can be a good game and damage feedback can be bad at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive. What 2 did was highlight how all these games rely on generous i-frames to mask inaccurate hitboxes - or rather, how combat is designed in such a way that pixel-perfect hitboxes aren't required. Take away the smoke and mirrors of i-frames, and you get combat that just doesn't feel quite right because in many situations you take damage where you shouldn't. Dark Souls doesn't have glancing blows or anything like that, it's full damage or no damage, and with base ADP in Dark Souls 2 the threshold is off.

Adaptability the way it's implemented in the game should never have made it in. It RPGifies a system that shouldn't have been RPGified.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
To reiterate Silverfish's point. Use a greatshield instead of rolling around like faggots.
Mid roll greatshield build is the way to play Souls.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Nope, if you want to feel like a badass.
I'm not particularly good at these games, but I completed a few challenge runs and I 1CC shmups.
So there's that. You retards are whining about DS2, one of the best games ever, not me.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
DS1 is a masterpiece. DS2 is an even better masterpiece. DS3 is an ever better masterpiece. DS4 is an even better one.

People who screech about DS2 are Vaati gimps, whom I wouldn't hesitate to euthanize. No loss to humanity whatsoever.

dc465e5863aafdb21dc3b99678a2ff6e.png

Silverfish

Arbiter
I can appreciate it, but yall not being able to handle reality is still hilarious lol

Which is even stranger because I always thought the jank was part of the appeal. DS2 is the weird one with the unique mechanics, experimentation and busted shit to match. It's fucked, but who cares?

Nope, if you want to feel like a badass.

"Tailor my build to the quirks of the game? Well, I never!" From fans got what they deserved with DS3.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Steezus

Savant
Patron

Silverfish

Arbiter
One of the most hilarious takes in gaming is that it requires serious skill to roll your way to glory in souls games.

More skill than holding L1.

Presumably then, the ultimate Chad build would be no shield, but with low adaptability (Bandit class starts with only 3, so that'd do) and then still trying to i-frame everything. Basically, German Spy-style:

TBh, I may have to give this another spin sooner than later.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
To reiterate Silverfish's point. Use a greatshield instead of rolling around like faggots.

Yea, if you suck.

One of the most hilarious takes in gaming is that it requires serious skill to roll your way to glory in souls games.
Never understood this sentiment, always play sword/board and what do I do if a boss is kicking my ass? Drop shit until light-roll and 2-hand weapon, easy mode activated. Late-late game this becomes a non-issue with better shields and more stamina so I can keep my LARP up but before that? Light roll is easy mode.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yea, if you suck.

Never understood this sentiment, always play sword/board and what do I do if a boss is kicking my ass? Drop shit until light-roll and 2-hand weapon, easy mode activated. Late-late game this becomes a non-issue with better shields and more stamina so I can keep my LARP up but before that? Light roll is easy mode.
This.

One of my most memorable heureka moments in all Souls is shuffling through the DS2 vanilla behind a banger of a shield, without many problems, then stumbling into my first DLC, coming against Aava and having my cheeks pulled apart again and again and again.

Until, out of desperation, I stripped naked, upgraded my lightest weapon - rapier - to +10, jumping into the Aava arena again and with a mighty roar absolutely decimating that boss on the fist try.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some of my fondest memories in DS2 was pwning fools with dual greatswords. The Havels wearing scrub was my favorite.

^Btw the dagger I kept switching to in my left hand penetrated havels shields. I was a brilliant battle tactician back then.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom