Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
Can you source that claim? Have you seen any numbers? Even if in total it sold more on the PS3, they don't have the benefit of regular steam sales to inject new blood into the community. It's really easy to check http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ and see that it has a 7200 peak daily. I'd bet my left nut the PS3 doesn't reach those numbers at this point in the game's lifetime. The only people still playing are jap pvp autists.

yup, life under a rock confirmed (by pooling the currently active ps3 online communities alone you'd have numbers bigger than 7200)

Torrasque01

Augur
No numbers confirmed then. Even on 4chan with its weeb sensibilities whenever a themed event happened there were double or triple the number on PC side. What are those online PS3 communities?

praetor

Arcane

Torrasque01

Augur
No numbers confirmed then. Even on 4chan with its weeb sensibilities whenever a themed event happened there were double or triple the number on PC side. What are those online PS3 communities?

(3secs of googling later) http://www.gamechup.com/dark-souls-sells-2-3-million-units-pc-version-sales-revealed/

dude, the original just in Japan outsold the PC release almost by 100%. dumbfuck detected

This was from 10 months ago. It's well known that the "long tail" is a lot more relevant for games on PC. And again I mentioned that there's no new blood coming in the console communities. I think I know who the dumbfuck is.

edit: Looking at http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/211420/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition you can see that the first big steam discount happened in july 2013. And those things rake in huge amounts of sales and profit in general. Those are the numbers I wanna see.

Last edited:
Red Phantom reporting in, will see you beta blues on the rapefield.

Also, game looks really good and promises to be another worthwhile Souls game. Nips don't dumb down their shit to appeal to popamole consumers and retards, heed and take lessons.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It clearly wasn't a game breaker or even a rage-quitter but it was tedium.

Guess the run back to Manus needs 20 more of those humanity enemies to make it less tedious. :troll:

EDIT:
Anyways, what will the Moonlight Sword be like in this game?

Demon's Souls: Faith based.

lsom-on-hand.jpg

Dark Souls: Intelligence based.

moonlight-greatsword-of-artorias-onhand.jpg

This is one of my favorite weapons and is also From's signature weapon in their games. It's also fucking cool as hell.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Meh, dodging them was easy enough. Only real threat was the one sorcerer sniper who I had a set way to get rid of. More of a "oh great now I can do all this again".

It becomes more annoying if you're using an attunement ring for an extra spell (like power within) and have to re-attune and all that jazz.

praetor

Arcane
This was from 10 months ago. It's well known that the "long tail" is a lot more relevant for games on PC. And again I mentioned that there's no new blood coming in the console communities. I think I know who the dumbfuck is.

edit: Looking at http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/211420/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition you can see that the first big steam discount happened in july 2013. And those things rake in huge amounts of sales and profit in general. Those are the numbers I wanna see.

the PC release didn't sell even half of the total number of the PTD edition alone. if you think it sold more than maybe some tens of thousands of copies in the last 2-3 sales, you're delusional (bumping it from "not even half" to "maybe half" of the total PTD sales). or do you think the steam sales somehow brought in a couple million users? :lol: it's one thing to say that it's overall a better experience on the master race (and it is), but that it has a more active online community requires a new level of dumbfuckery

anyway, enough of chitchat with dumbfucks. info on char classes from the jap website (credit to reddit)
1) Warrior:

A warrior that lives in the battle field. Has high strength and dexterity, making it easy to meet stat requirements on weapons. Has a shield from the beginning.

2) Knight:

A traveling knight. Has high vigor and adaptation allowing him to withstand many hits. Does not come equipped with a shield, so players need to be cautious at the beginning. Has fairly high faith.

3) Bandit:

A ruthless bandit. Has high dexterity and can use a bow. Can react to both long range and short range threats. Best for players that want to create a dexterity build.

4) Swordsman:

A swordsman that honed his skills. Fights skillfully with weapons equipped in each hand. Equipped with an upgraded scimitar and longsword from the start.

5) Priest:

A priest on a pilgrimage. His miracles through high faith can show the way forward. Has learned a healing miracle from the start. Can go on exploring persistently.

6) Sorcerer:

A wise sorcerer. Can command sorcery with high intelligence and attunement. Has learned "Soul Arrow" and is good at long ranged combat.

7) Explorer:

An explorer traveling through many lands. Does not excel in any particular area, but comes equipped with many items, allowing him to fight advantageously at the beginning of the game.

8) Deprived:

A nude person with an unknown background. Fights empty-handed. His body itself is the proof of his existence. Starts at Level 1, and therefore can grow in whatever way the player wishes to.

and 2 pics spoilering a bit of weapons (i think they went overboard with them scythes, and the "double-sword" looks like something out of WoW)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm those look like the ones from the big bridge guys from the beta
I am really going to miss my pyromancer class and the temple knight looked pretty cool as a paladin but I guess you can get that with the priest class anyway

Torrasque01

Augur
the PC release didn't sell even half of the total number of the PTD edition alone.

Actually, that 300k number was pulled out of some NeoFAG's ass. It's never mentioned anywhere in the announcement. You should give more than a cursory glance to that shitty "game journo" news piece. There's no way to tell how many of those 692k sales were on PC. They also didn't include retail PC sales which are still a thing and by most accounts they're still at least 40%. And you're really delusional if you think those 300% profit boosts Valve threw around were lies.

Edit: Did they say how they would handle multiplayer region segregation? I don't know what would be better: DeS style where EU became completely dead, US mostly dead and only JP with a semblance of community; or DkS where you get japstabbed from across the room.

Last edited:
jpg

as of april 2013.
137.000 on ps3 and pc only in japan where pc gaming doesnt exist
555.000 worldwide on ps3/xbox/pc.
we can only gues the exact numbers but i wouldnt be surprise if it was something like
300.000ps3
200.000pc
50.000xbox:lol:

and those are only steam sales on pc. in europe retail sailes are still big. me and and all of my friends that played dark souls bought retail version in poland. my niggard brother bought it 2 months ago in polish discount "biedronka" for something like 9 euro:kingcomrade:

anyway i like that there is more scythes, whips, halberds, lances. naginata samurai build incoming:bounce:

DragoFireheart

7) Explorer:

An explorer traveling through many lands. Does not excel in any particular area, but comes equipped with many items, allowing him to fight advantageously at the beginning of the game.

8) Deprived:

A nude person with an unknown background. Fights empty-handed. His body itself is the proof of his existence. Starts at Level 1, and therefore can grow in whatever way the player wishes to.

Explorer will almost certainly be the new "Royalty" class (class that's typically best choice to start with). Does the explorer class also start at soul level 1? Each Souls game has a theme and one of the classes matches that theme (and also happens to be one of the better/best starting classes).

Demon's Souls: Corrupted King plunges land into darkness. Royalty class. Magic damage and soul arrows make most of the game easier and also starts with a mana regen ring. Makes Flamelurker significantly easier. Also, the rapier is a nice starting weapon and makes enemies in 2-X easier as well. Finally, plays with the Cresent Falchion.

Dark Souls: Relight the bonfire, pyromancy very prevalent lore wise. Pyromancer class. Fire works well against the vast majority of enemies: Smough is weak to fire. The Hand Axe is a great starting wepaon and it's attributes are unusual. Finally, it's stats are extremely close to being able to use the Drake Sword.

Dark Souls 2: More open ended world, much exploration needs to be done. Explorer class. Extra items will make early game easier and something something hard boss will be made easier due to it. Something something early game weapon will be able to be used by Explorer.

and 2 pics spoilering a bit of weapons (i think they went overboard with them scythes, and the "double-sword" looks like something out of WoW)

So I heard you guis liek scythes.

DragoFireheart

That game map that comes with the collectors editions looks like the Skyrim map...

Skyrim:
25501-1-1355124142.jpg

Dark Souls 2:
ygxIcEK.jpg

Anyways I wonder if I should buy the CE. Giving more :takemyjewgold: to From does not bother me since it's a good game company to support, but is any of the stuff worthwhile?

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
Explorer will almost certainly be the new "Royalty" class (class that's typically best choice to start with). Does the explorer class also start at soul level 1? Each Souls game has a theme and one of the classes matches that theme (and also happens to be one of the better/best starting classes).

Demon's Souls: Corrupted King plunges land into darkness. Royalty class. Magic damage and soul arrows make most of the game easier and also starts with a mana regen ring. Makes Flamelurker significantly easier. Also, the rapier is a nice starting weapon and makes enemies in 2-X easier as well. Finally, plays with the Cresent Falchion.

Dark Souls: Relight the bonfire, pyromancy very prevalent lore wise. Pyromancer class. Fire works well against the vast majority of enemies: Smough is weak to fire. The Hand Axe is a great starting wepaon and it's attributes are unusual. Finally, it's stats are extremely close to being able to use the Drake Sword.

Dark Souls 2: More open ended world, much exploration needs to be done. Explorer class. Extra items will make early game easier and something something hard boss will be made easier due to it. Something something early game weapon will be able to be used by Explorer.

i think only deprived starts at SL1 (and no weapons!). explorer looks like a fun diversion (lots of gadgets but shitty weapons, i wouldn't say it would make early game easier. f.e. i think the swordsman's upgraded weapons are a better early game boost). and Ornie is weak to fire, Smough is resistant to it (not that it matters with a decently upgraded pyro flame and something like great chaos FB or great combustion). and you can make those kinds of "stretched reasoning" for most classes in both games

That game map that comes with the collectors editions looks like the Skyrim map...

it's a map.. so it looks like.. a map.

Anyways I wonder if I should buy the CE. Giving more :takemyjewgold: to From does not bother me since it's a good game company to support, but is any of the stuff worthwhile?

i preordered the CE (same reason) but i don't think it's that worthwhile: the map and artbook could be nice, but that plastic figurine looks quite cheap/bad. wish they had hired the guy that made all those DaS1 statues or made the jap CE weapons case available as an option instead of that crap :(

DragoFireheart

i think only deprived starts at SL1 (and no weapons!). explorer looks like a fun diversion (lots of gadgets but shitty weapons, i wouldn't say it would make early game easier. f.e. i think the swordsman's upgraded weapons are a better early game boost). and Ornie is weak to fire, Smough is resistant to it (not that it matters with a decently upgraded pyro flame and something like great chaos FB or great combustion). and you can make those kinds of "stretched reasoning" for most classes in both games
:(

Yes those ramblings of my are only theories and are still just insane ramblings. But I am seeing a pattern of sorts.

Anyways, what weapon does the Explorer start with? What items? The link that you posted claims that it makes early game easier which is a trait shared with Royalty and Pyromancer.

praetor

Arcane
Anyways, what weapon does the Explorer start with? What items? The link that you posted claims that it makes early game easier which is a trait shared with Royalty and Pyromancer.

don't have time to check now, but it was a dagger iirc (or a shortsword) and some extra consumables (witchin' urns, divine blessings, probably some more healing items and throwing stuff and perhaps some resins). maybe his armour is the best starting armour in the game? who knows... i guess we'll see in a month (or sooner if bamco will deliver that demo they were hinting at)

DragoFireheart

don't have time to check now, but it was a dagger iirc (or a shortsword) and some extra consumables (witchin' urns, divine blessings, probably some more healing items and throwing stuff and perhaps some resins). maybe his armour is the best starting armour in the game? who knows... i guess we'll see in a month (or sooner if bamco will deliver that demo they were hinting at)

Well, I know in Demon's/Dark souls the starting armor of the royalty/pyromancer are quite good. Royalty is light-weight and decent defense in a game where heavy armor is shit. Pyromancer armor gives excellent defense and helps make Blighttown easier.

Dagger vs Shortsword is a huge difference. Daggers are only good for backstabs/ripostes, but short sword is part of the straight sword moveset and, despite being shorter than the typical straight sword, has an excellent moveset.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Regarding sales for PC version: I'm pretty sure that the overall shitty quality of the port lowered sales quite a bit. Hopefully they realize they need to do a better job this time.

Torrasque01

Augur

I was going to dispute "137.000 on ps3 and pc only in japan where pc gaming doesnt exist" by linking that Platinum guy who said he's looking to encourage japanese PC gamers(there must be a market there right???) , but then they aren't even allowed to buy MGR due to region locking. Empty PR at this point. Fine. I was wrong.

But there still should have been more transparent numbers. All that's left is speculation.

Kanedias

Savant

the PC release didn't sell even half of the total number of the PTD edition alone. if you think it sold more than maybe some tens of thousands of copies in the last 2-3 sales, you're delusional (bumping it from "not even half" to "maybe half" of the total PTD sales). or do you think the steam sales somehow brought in a couple million users? :lol: it's one thing to say that it's overall a better experience on the master race (and it is), but that it has a more active online community requires a new level of dumbfuckery

anyway, enough of chitchat with dumbfucks. info on char classes from the jap website (credit to reddit)
1) Warrior:

A warrior that lives in the battle field. Has high strength and dexterity, making it easy to meet stat requirements on weapons. Has a shield from the beginning.

2) Knight:

A traveling knight. Has high vigor and adaptation allowing him to withstand many hits. Does not come equipped with a shield, so players need to be cautious at the beginning. Has fairly high faith.

3) Bandit:

A ruthless bandit. Has high dexterity and can use a bow. Can react to both long range and short range threats. Best for players that want to create a dexterity build.

4) Swordsman:

A swordsman that honed his skills. Fights skillfully with weapons equipped in each hand. Equipped with an upgraded scimitar and longsword from the start.

5) Priest:

A priest on a pilgrimage. His miracles through high faith can show the way forward. Has learned a healing miracle from the start. Can go on exploring persistently.

6) Sorcerer:

A wise sorcerer. Can command sorcery with high intelligence and attunement. Has learned "Soul Arrow" and is good at long ranged combat.

7) Explorer:

8) Deprived:

I agree about the weapons. I never really liked scythes much in Dark Souls, people who use them tend to only spam the running attack and the two handed r2 which is basically another running attack. Also, I have always been a fan of the more realistic and elegant weapons rather than the overly fantastic ones. I'm really excited about the first one who seems like a sort of Lucerne/Mirdan Hammer, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom