Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
forgot one thing: levelling up gives you 2HP/SL (dude in stream started with swordsman and at SL 55-60 had something like 1000HP with only 11 vitality (i refuse to call it vigour :P)), so vitality (both of them :)) pretty much confirmed for dump stat

hmmm... the more i think about it, the more "limited respawns" sounds like a completely retarded idea, especially with the more frequent/denser bonfires and less souls/enemy.

first, in that stream yesterday i noticed regular mobs give little in the way of souls, while bosses give assloads (at least early on). now, most will think that this makes the game harder, but if you think about it, it actually makes it easier because with so little souls to lose (and you don't have to care about "used" humanity any more!), losing souls during the level becomes almost meaningless since you'll be spending almost exclusively the boss souls (not the itemized soul!) anyway in majula after teleporting at the inevitable "post-boss bonfire", so with far less tension everything becomes easier (no stress of losing souls since you'll have few anyway). but, with regular enemies giving so little souls, farming for souls is "viable" (lol) only for hardcore aspies like Vaarna who have no problem spending dozens of hours doing boring grinding to make the game easier, so in the end it only makes the game easier for noobs since now they can go through levels just through sheer attrition. i'm probably reading too much into it/being overly harsh since most of the decent players won't even notice it (unless you're farming for specific items), but it does seem like it goes against the "idea" of Souls games. dunno

btw, starting gift mild spoilers
since "petrified something" is confirmed to be obtainable in game (streamer found it yesterday in nu-Sen's), i guess that "seed of a giant" is a better starting gift since it apparently can interact in some way with a tree-like thing on the way to the sentinels boss (read the vague description somewhere yesterday :))

Kanedias

Savant
After watching the stream nonstop, I fell asleep as he was fighting
Scorpioness Nadja

Any good area afterwards?

How was the Sinner and the Spider? Their areas? Iron Keep?

Kanedias

Savant
Some of the new concept art isn't as good
jHXcxM6.jpg

But I'm glad some designs are still perfect

MqQPbbJ.jpg

1394199555577.jpg

1394199729033.jpg

1394199871667.jpg

HAUNTED MANSION? where?
1394200016965.jpg

1394200203019.jpg

1394200602215.jpg

1394200792083.jpg

MY NIGGAA

I heard you can find two levers to make the
dragonrider boss
arena much bigger. you can also lure him to
fall of edge of the arena and die just like iron golem

Kanedias

Savant
What the hell

PdI0FYV.jpg

Why improve PvP so much and then add that item? What the hell? Am I reading it right?

praetor

Arcane
^just shows the really uneven direction the game had. for every 3 awesome things they added/changed, you'll find something completely pants-on-head retarded not even kojima would put in, like that abomination

now i'm seriously considering cancelling the CE preorder and just go digital. and i'm definitely buying the pc version only when it'll be dirt, dirt cheap

does anyone know if thats something like medium armor or just plain cloth? how much poise that shit gives you?

does it nulify just the critical bonus or the hole damage?

if thats just a cloth than you will still get fucked up by big weapons, buffed weapons, sorceries and pyro.

it does nulify the bonus damage from critcis done by backstabs/ripostes? not the counter damage?

and where do i find that shit ingame?:M

Kanedias

Savant
does anyone know if thats something like medium armor or just plain cloth? how much poise that shit gives you?

does it nulify just the critical bonus or the hole damage?

if thats just a cloth than you will still get fucked up by big weapons, buffed weapons, sorceries and pyro.

it does nulify the bonus damage from critcis done by backstabs/ripostes? not the counter damage?

and where do i find that shit ingame?:M

We don't know much about it because it wasn't tested in PvP, obviously. "Nullifies" sounds worrying, though. There's an extremely high chance it's broken as fuck.

^just shows the really uneven direction the game had. for every 3 awesome things they added/changed, you'll find something completely pants-on-head retarded not even kojima would put in, like that abomination

now i'm seriously considering cancelling the CE preorder and just go digital. and i'm definitely buying the pc version only when it'll be dirt, dirt cheap

I don't think this is because of the uneven direction. Dark Souls on launch was like this or worse. Let me try to recall...

1) Fog Ring made you immune to being locked on to.
2) DWGR made you flip instead of mid roll, which led to the first meta, the Flipping Havel.
3) Hornet Ring was even more retarded, it added like 50% damage instead of the current 30%
4) Iron Flesh + Crystal Ring shield made every boss in the game easy mode, as Iron Flesh's damage reduction was insane and Crystal Ring Shield had some sort of weird scaling that made every attack do like 1500 damage.

From is awful at balancing. I'm just very disappointed because the other changes and items looked like From was putting more focus on it.

praetor

Arcane
true... and then they nerf most of the OP stuff to oblivion so it's pretty much useless. they're really bad at balancing. but i still stand by my statement that DaS2 has "uneven direction" (either because of the 2 directors thing, or because one (or both) of them are fucktards). i'm going to enjoy playing it very much, but now i'm nowhere near as hyped anymore, and i don't really mind waiting or even spoiling myself

edit: from gamefags:

I peaked at a little footage of the level screen. It appears as though the game highlights all of the stats that are affected now... it looks like Endurance, Vitality, Strength, and Dexterity all boost your physical defense, with Vit likely being the most effective since it also boosts armor strength. Adaptability does not increase defense, only status res.

Other notable things: Both Adaptability and Attunement boost the Agility substat, while Attunement, Intelligence, and Faith all boost Cast Speed. Int and Faith both increase three of the magic schools. In general, it looks like there's a lot more overlap between the stats outside of main specialization. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

interdasting...

Kanedias

Savant
Broken shit? That's the first really unbalanced thing I saw. There was a Regenerator's Ring 2.0, a Wolf Ring 2.0 and the Ring of Blades (which increases physical damage done) but they were balanced, in fact, rather weak. The poise ring gave 10 poise, the regen ring was really weak, and the damage increase from the Ring of Blades was also really small.

As for items with additional effects, there are a lot of them. There are several shields with stamina regen like Grass Crest, there was a shield that could deflect magic by parrying, a shield that gave you HP every time you killed an enemy (think Ring of the Evil Eye), etc. It seems rather nice, in fact. Of course after such things From has to go and add an item like Jester's Robes.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Broken shit? That's the first really unbalanced thing I saw. There was a Regenerator's Ring 2.0, a Wolf Ring 2.0 and the Ring of Blades (which increases physical damage done) but they were balanced, in fact, rather weak. The poise ring gave 10 poise, the regen ring was really weak, and the damage increase from the Ring of Blades was also really small.

As for items with additional effects, there are a lot of them. There are several shields with stamina regen like Grass Crest, there was a shield that could deflect magic by parrying, a shield that gave you HP every time you killed an enemy (think Ring of the Evil Eye), etc. It seems rather nice, in fact. Of course after such things From has to go and add an item like Jester's Robes.

Mods (or patches) will fix this.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if it is known that if you die many times (around a dozen or more), the game starts to decrease the number of the enemies (thus helping the less skilled players). I think there is a limit for that, but being a shitty player in DS, I noticed 11 missing enemies one of the levels. I died around 25 times for that.

Kanedias

Savant
I don't know if it is known that if you die many times (around a dozen or more), the game starts to decrease the number of the enemies (thus helping the less skilled players). I think there is a limit for that, but being a shitty player in DS, I noticed 11 missing enemies one of the levels. I died around 25 times for that.

The trigger is not dying, it's killing the enemies. They have a limited number of spawns, around 15.

Castanova

Prophet
I'm trying to avoid this thread because of spoilers but question for J_C and anyone else playing it: is it overall better/worse than Dark Souls? overall better/worse than Demon's Souls?

I've heard some generic grumbling about it and now I'm worried.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The trigger is not dying, it's killing the enemies. They have a limited number of spawns, around 15.
Aren't those two almost the same? :D They only spawn, if you die. So if you die 15 times it means the enemies respawn 15 times. Or does this mean if I don't die, but just visit a bonfire 15 times (thus respawing the enemies) their number will start to decrease anyway?

I'm trying to avoid this thread because of spoilers but question for J_C and anyone else playing it: is it overall better/worse than Dark Souls? overall better/worse than Demon's Souls?

I've heard some generic grumbling about it and now I'm worried.
There might be a few unbalanced elements (but the Souls games were always like this), but I think it is on par with Dark Souls, not better, not worse. The only improvements to DS1 is the teleporting ability at the bonfires, which is a very good idea IMO.

i wonder how many of us will join on first run covenant of champions...:M that kenneth streamer tried it and got rekt by some hollows:lol: also did any of streamers tried that bonefire ascetic? what was the difference?

praetor

Arcane
Aren't those two almost the same? :D They only spawn, if you die. So if you die 15 times it means the enemies respawn 15 times. Or does this mean if I don't die, but just visit a bonfire 15 times (thus respawing the enemies) their number will start to decrease anyway?

dude, how hard is it to understand:
  • enemy has spawn counter attached to his entity
  • every time you kill enemy=>counter is decreased by one
  • when you kill enemy X times (around 15), enemy does not spawn any more
  • i.e. it has 0 connection to your deaths/your respawns.
damn, the IQ on this forum is dropping fast. it's really not rocket science

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So you could kill every enemy 15 times and the game would be empty because of that.

Is this true?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

dude, how hard is it to understand:
  • enemy has spawn counter attached to his entity
  • every time you kill enemy=>counter is decreased by one
  • when you kill enemy X times (around 15), enemy does not spawn any more
  • i.e. it has 0 connection to your deaths/your respawns.
damn, the IQ on this forum is dropping fast. it's really not rocket science
I don't know why you are so agressive towards me in this thread. Did someone touched you in the wrong place, and you went your frustration on me?

Please explain to me if this has nothing to do with death/respawns, how can you kill an enemy 15 times? To be able to kill an enemy 15 times, it has to respawn 15 times, no?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
He's acting like this all over the place in the Dark Souls threads - the community really is one of the most insufferable out there. :P

J_C, don't they also respawn by simply resting at a bonfire?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
He's acting like this all over the place in the Dark Souls threads - the community really is one of the most insufferable out there. :P

J_C, don't they also respawn by simply resting at a bonfire?
Yes they do, and that is what I said earlier. Either you die and the enemies respawn, or you rest at a bonfire and they respawn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom