Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
I don't know why you are so agressive towards me in this thread. Did someone touched you in the wrong place, and you went your frustration on me?

because you're a retard

Please explain to me if this has nothing to do with death/respawns, how can you kill an enemy 15 times? To be able to kill an enemy 15 times, it has to respawn 15 times, no?

very simple: kill enemy=> rest at bonfire => enemy respawns. repeat. it was supposedly to prevent farming, but since most enemies drop few souls anyway, it'll only make the game easier

Kanedias

Savant
He's acting like this all over the place in the Dark Souls threads - the community really is one of the most insufferable out there. :P

J_C, don't they also respawn by simply resting at a bonfire?
Yes they do, and that is what I said earlier. Either you die and the enemies respawn, or you rest at a bonfire and they respawn.

It's a death counter. You have to kill the enemies. It tracks how many times they died.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why you are so agressive towards me in this thread. Did someone touched you in the wrong place, and you went your frustration on me?

because you're a retard

Please explain to me if this has nothing to do with death/respawns, how can you kill an enemy 15 times? To be able to kill an enemy 15 times, it has to respawn 15 times, no?

very simple: kill enemy=> rest at bonfire => enemy respawns. repeat. it was supposedly to prevent farming, but since most enemies drop few souls anyway, it'll only make the game easier
Ok, so I reply in the manner you replied to me.

THIS IS THE FUCKING THING I TOLD YOU, YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, ASSHOLE? YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY THE WISEGUY HERE, YOU FUCKER, SINCE YOU CAN'T EVEN READ. DO YOU COMPREHEND WHAT I SAID. LET ME REFRESH YOUR MEMORE YOU IDIOT:
So if you die 15 times it means the enemies respawn 15 times. Or does this mean if I don't die, but just visit a bonfire 15 times (thus respawing the enemies) their number will start to decrease anyway?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
You made J_C all-caps rage.

achievement_unlocked_iphone_case.jpg

Castanova

Prophet
If it's the same quality as Dark Souls up to and including O&S but then they made the rest of the game the same quality rather than trailing off like DS did then I'd be super happy.

Kanedias

Savant
If it's the same quality as Dark Souls up to and including O&S but then they made the rest of the game the same quality rather than trailing off like DS did then I'd be super happy.

My non-spoilerish opinion: there are areas that are as inspired as Dark Souls areas (even pre-Lordvessel ones) then there's Lost Izalith quality areas (minus the gray voids that they forgot to fill because they ran out of time, no area looked unfinished)

In this game the problem isn't unfinished areas, it's dull areas with inferior art direction. The game is very uneven, so don't expect all mediocre areas, or good areas and then a decline in quality, expect a lot of areas of varying quality, from excellent to boring. If I had to rate it only based on area design, it'd definitely be Demon's Souls > Dark Souls > Dark Souls 2. In terms of gameplay, though, it seems the best: lots of weapon diversity, lots of new and viable movesets (even the Scimitar has a different moveset than the Falchion, for example). In terms of challenge, it looks to be at least on par with Dark Souls.

Two bits of :incline:: the game seems larger than Dark Souls, and more nonlinear. You have a LOT of choices at the start, and having the ability to warp from the beginning means you can hop from area to area and progress a bit on each (and the game seems designed that way, like Demon's Souls)

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
Hey J_C, how do ypu feel about going back to Majula to level up? Is it tedious or there's something there?

Lerk

Learned
Two bits of :incline:: the game seems larger than Dark Souls, and more nonlinear. You have a LOT of choices at the start, and having the ability to warp from the beginning means you can hop from area to area and progress a bit on each (and the game seems designed that way, like Demon's Souls)

I'm reading a lot about how the hub and warps are a lot more reminiscent of DeS than DkS. I'm not sure how I feel about that tbh. I loved both games, but the reason DkS stayed with me a long time after I'd finished the game was the amazing journey undertaken through a dream-like, intricately connected world abandoned by the Gods. The new approach seems a lot more "gamist". Are there any "aha!" moments like the first time you find the shortcut from Parish to Firelink? Or any watershed moments like the first time you stare up into the sky at Ash Lake, or descend into Anor Londo?

I'm also hearing that the NPCs are a lot more vocal in the sequel, and that there's a definite and obvious narrative that underlies the action. Would you say that's true?

Kanedias

Savant

I'm reading a lot about how the hub and warps are a lot more reminiscent of DeS than DkS. I'm not sure how I feel about that tbh. I loved both games, but the reason DkS stayed with me a long time after I'd finished the game was the amazing journey undertaken through a dream-like, intricately connected world abandoned by the Gods. The new approach seems a lot more "gamist". Are there any "aha!" moments like the first time you find the shortcut from Parish to Firelink? Or any watershed moments like the first time you stare up into the sky at Ash Lake, or descend into Anor Londo?

It feels more like Demon's Souls, where the areas felt less interconnected. The flow is exactly like in Demon's Souls, where you juggle between several areas, going back to the hub to level up. In Demon's Souls, there's not an obvious path through the game, all worlds are doable from the beginning (at least, their first areas), then you usually get stuck somewhere and warp to any of the other places you have open, only to come back later once you feel ready. This is exactly the same, and it alters the feeling of "journey" that Dark Souls has from the Asylum to Anor Londo. Also, like I said before, the area design seemed weaker overall. As for those moments, there's one at the beginning of the game. Probably the only one. Like I said, area design isn't this game's strength (at least, compared to Dark Souls and Demon's Souls).

I'm also hearing that the NPCs are a lot more vocal in the sequel, and that there's a definite and obvious narrative that underlies the action. Would you say that's true?

It uses mystery, unlike the other games, in order to catch your interest. You want to cure your curse. In Majula, an important NPC tells you what you must do, but you don't know why or what it has to do with the curse. Then the game uses "WTF" lore moments to make you want to seek the answers. In terms of how straightforward it is, I'd say between Dark and Demons.

DragoFireheart

It feels more like Demon's Souls, where the areas felt less interconnected. The flow is exactly like in Demon's Souls, where you juggle between several areas, going back to the hub to level up. In Demon's Souls, there's not an obvious path through the game, all worlds are doable from the beginning (at least, their first areas), then you usually get stuck somewhere and warp to any of the other places you have open, only to come back later once you feel ready. This is exactly the same, and it alters the feeling of "journey" that Dark Souls has from the Asylum to Anor Londo. Also, like I said before, the area design seemed weaker overall. As for those moments, there's one at the beginning of the game. Probably the only one. Like I said, area design isn't this game's strength (at least, compared to Dark Souls and Demon's Souls).

Not sure how I feel about that. I like Demon's Souls structure, but if the areas are inferior to it then it's disappointing.

does anyone know if thats something like medium armor or just plain cloth? how much poise that shit gives you?

does it nulify just the critical bonus or the hole damage?

if thats just a cloth than you will still get fucked up by big weapons, buffed weapons, sorceries and pyro.

it does nulify the bonus damage from critcis done by backstabs/ripostes? not the counter damage?

and where do i find that shit ingame?:M

We don't know much about it because it wasn't tested in PvP, obviously. "Nullifies" sounds worrying, though. There's an extremely high chance it's broken as fuck.

Wording makes it look like it's a cloth robe that simply turns critical hit damage into normal damage.

praetor

Arcane
Wording makes it look like it's a cloth robe that simply turns critical hit damage into normal damage.

or maybe "disables" the backstab/riposte animations (as in you can't be backstabbed/riposted like most/all big enemies). either way, it's a very bad idea

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
thank you for confirming you're a retard (you still don't understand, do you?)
No, I don't. But please, what is the difference between I said, and what you said.

if u rest at a bonfire without killing the enemy it wont count towards the 15 kill counter. enemies that you havent killed dont respawn when you rest at a bonfire.

so if u wanna make them stop respawning you must kill the same enemy 15 times.
Ok, I didn't mentioni it, but I though that it was obvious that you have to kill the enemies between bonfire rests, otherwise it wouldn't count as a respawn.

praetor

Arcane
Eh, I'm too much of a casual for PvP but judging from every duel video I've seen this looks like something that could reduce the backstabbing dance many fights seem to devolve into.

they already tweaked the mechanics so backstab fishing (and other boring strategies like turtling with a spear) is nowhere near as viable as it was before. that item is like saying "you know all that effort we put into balancing stuff? yeah, fuck that. here, have an item that every single player will be wearing"

Kanedias

Savant
Limited enemies confirmed. Streamer farmed some enemies that gave nice souls last night, now he killed them about 2 times and they disappeared forever.

DragoFireheart

Limited enemies confirmed. Streamer farmed some enemies that gave nice souls last night, now he killed them about 2 times and they disappeared forever.

How about the enemies that give shit-piddly amounts of souls?

they already tweaked the mechanics so backstab fishing (and other boring strategies like turtling with a spear) is nowhere near as viable as it was before. that item is like saying "you know all that effort we put into balancing stuff? yeah, fuck that. here, have an item that every single player will be wearing"

Hmmm...I understand the "fixing a problem that was already solved" angle, but it raises another question - if the backstabbing mating ritual won't be the norm this time, why would every single player wear this then?

Eh, I'm too much of a casual for PvP but judging from every duel video I've seen this looks like something that could reduce the backstabbing dance many fights seem to devolve into.
It's still an awful idea. If backstabbing was broken then they should have fixed it, not just put an item in which removes it from the game. Especially since it doesn't just affect backstabs but every critical hit. Did anyone have a problem with ripostes? I didn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom